PDA

View Full Version : Love of Siam trailer - english lyrics

September 21st, 2008, 17:28
I recall somebody here asking what the words of this song meant. some nerdy guy sings it in english here over the trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3kUqKM8dSM

September 21st, 2008, 17:39
I recall somebody here asking what the words of this song meant. some nerdy guy sings it in english here over the trailer.

nope...this is not a direct english translation of original lyric, but a new lyric written by this ugly nerdy fat sissy novice singer.

September 21st, 2008, 18:38
... a new lyric written by this ugly nerdy fat sissy novice singer.Let me guess - you don't like it?

September 21st, 2008, 19:22

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3kUqKM8dSM

Thanks a lot Oogs, you know how sensitive my ears are and how important they are to me in the work I do. Let me tell you that they are still bleeding and are showing no signs of stopping. ;)

Cheers Oogs,

George.

September 21st, 2008, 19:27
... a new lyric written by this ugly nerdy fat sissy novice singer.Let me guess - you don't like it?

It? you mean "him"? unless you were referring to "it" as a pig.... or maybe the lyric.

But perhaps you do like "it". Go ahead and send the singer an email, his email address is on youtube, tell him/it how you feel.
Your new found romance could be just one click away.

fedssocr
September 21st, 2008, 21:11
nope...this is not a direct english translation of original lyric, but a new lyric written by this ugly nerdy fat sissy novice singer.

wow. who peed in your cornflakes? Now, I agree the singing is painful. But is it really necessary to refer to the singer as "this ugly nerdy fat sissy novice singer"? Is it really worth so much negative mental energy? At least the guy made an effort to put into English a song that means a lot to him and to those of us who love the film. He put it out there so I guess he has to accept the criticism. Where's your version?

September 21st, 2008, 21:49
Well, he tried. The translation is pretty good -- what I could stand listening to, that is -- about 30 seconds. But it's only pretty good in conveying the literal meaning of the song, and it does not "sing" at all well. The same sorts of problems crop up when translating poetry: you not only have to get the sense right, but you have to try to create something resembling an English poem.

Perhaps that is why the guy could not find an actual SINGER to perform his translation, and had to "do it himself." But he clearly does not have a clue about real singing.

So, yes, he tried. Clap clap. But, he also failed. So sad, try again.

PS. Song lyrics often go through bending-transformations. That old Sinatra classic, "My Way," came from a French singer who wrote a song about her abusive husband and how he used to beat her up. :-0 Or so I have been told!

ChrisUK
September 22nd, 2008, 05:07
I haven't a clue how accurate the translation to English is on the following video, but for me it is a good 10 minute heartwarming summary of a main theme of the film. It is also in High Quality if viewed or downloaded directly from Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEmn3caSGvs

It seems that the standard quality video is not available, but if you click on the word "link" above, it takes you to the Youtube site where the high quality version is still viewable.

Those interested in getting the movie can look at the thread from Henry at:

http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/fo ... 15092.html (http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/rak-haeng-siam-director-s-cut-t15092.html)

Incidentally, has anyone found a four hour version of the Director's cut as mentioned in the above thread?

Beachlover
September 22nd, 2008, 10:42
I still don't fully get why Pitch (I forget the name of the character) couldn't be boyfriends with Mario (also forgot his character's name) in the end?

Is it because Mario's family has lost so much that he really has a duty to find a girl and marry?

Pitch is cute as...

September 22nd, 2008, 20:13
I still don't fully get why Pitch (I forget the name of the character) couldn't be boyfriends with Mario (also forgot his character's name) in the end?

Is it because Mario's family has lost so much that he really has a duty to find a girl and marry?

Pitch is cute as...

Well, there IS no real reason, which is why everyone hates the ending. After all, the Mario character has come out to his mother and has been accepted by her as gay, the Peach character is obviously head-over-heels in love -- so they break up? Some of the current buzz says that a happy ending would have been unacceptable to (a) the Thai movie censors or (b) the Thai public.

So if you don't "get it," you're definitely not alone.

After all, if this movie wanted to be realistic about the opposition of Mario's family, the two guys would simply continue their affair in secret. THIS happens ALL THE TIME, believe you me! :-) As a matter of fact, I've heard it mentioned as a "standard Chinese solution:" --- nobody cares, do what you like, but don't you let Momma and Poppa find out! :-)

PeterUK
September 22nd, 2008, 22:06
I thought the whole movie was pretty absurd, especially that stuff about the girl impersonating the missing sister in order to try to get the father out of his depression. I never understood the critical acclaim and prizes that the movie won. It only looks good compared with other, even more dire Thai gay movies, like Bangkok Story.

September 22nd, 2008, 22:16
If you had said that you liked the movie, PeterUK, I would have been like totally surprised.

What movies and books DO you like?

September 22nd, 2008, 22:20
Both movies were absolute, total cinematic dreck. The only reason why people like Henry Cate coo and purr over them, is that they include eye candy.

Be intellectually honest for a change, Henry, and tell us how great those movies would have been if they had been about love between unattractive middle-aged women instead of hunky young boys/men.

September 22nd, 2008, 22:34
http://quachee.blogspot.com/2008/01/inspiring-music-you-me-gun-lae-gun.html

September 22nd, 2008, 23:12
Just talking about lines 1 & 2:

thaa book waa pleng nii taeng hai thue
thue ja cheua mai?

Literally: "If I told you that this song was written for you, would you believe it?"

Unfortunately, you need to know the music for this discussion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKb8HdCCNfk

This video consists of a few introductory comments, followed by the Thai lyrics transliterated above. It's all over at the 22 second mark.

Now, the guy who made the original stinky video translated these first lines as:

What if I say itтАЩs the song
written for you?

This does not scan very well, or sing at all well. (Again, you need the music for this.)

I offer the following alternative:

If I told you this was YOUR SONG
woudja believe me?

In my version, "YOUR SONG" gets stress, and "woudja" is almost swallowed.

Movie time! Tonight is the Korean film, "No Regrets!" :-)

PeterUK
September 23rd, 2008, 00:04
Both movies were absolute, total cinematic dreck. The only reason why people like Henry Cate coo and purr over them, is that they include eye candy.

Be intellectually honest for a change, Henry, and tell us how great those movies would have been if they had been about love between unattractive middle-aged women instead of hunky young boys/men.

Spot on, Chao Na.

September 23rd, 2008, 03:16
I have zero interest in watching movies about women, and a high interest in watching movies about young men.

Just who is trying to fool whom, here? The queens who love Madonna?

My former boyfriend has a High Interest in drag queens, female singers, and all that twat shit. That's one reason I am comfortable with him being my EX-boyfriend.

Nevertheless, I have the strong opinion that The Love of Siam is the best Thai movie ever made, and possibly the best gay movie ever made.

Its strongest competition is the amazing Korean film No Regrets. A film which has received NO COMMENT on this board.

Well, that's pretty typical for SGT.

Good night.

Beachlover
September 23rd, 2008, 06:14

Pitch is cute as...

Well, there IS no real reason, which is why everyone hates the ending. After all, the Mario character has come out to his mother and has been accepted by her as gay, the Peach character is obviously head-over-heels in love -- so they break up? Some of the current buzz says that a happy ending would have been unacceptable to (a) the Thai movie censors or (b) the Thai public.

So if you don't "get it," you're definitely not alone.

After all, if this movie wanted to be realistic about the opposition of Mario's family, the two guys would simply continue their affair in secret. THIS happens ALL THE TIME, believe you me! :-) As a matter of fact, I've heard it mentioned as a "standard Chinese solution:" --- nobody cares, do what you like, but don't you let Momma and Poppa find out! :-)

Thanks Henry. I knew it! :bounce:

So I'm not the only one frustrated by the ending :cheers:

Yeah... it's just sad that they never got to pursue their love further than spending a bit of time together, sleeping next to each other for a night and sharing a kiss.

I think they made the ending so unsatisfying because they targeted it as a Thai family drama... and having 2 gay boys act out their deep passionate love would've been a bit too much... but at least they're pushing the boundaries and will get the audience.

Ahhh... and to see Pitch and Mario get it on would've been a scene to remember. Pitch is unbelievably cute.

I read in one interview he said the scenes look romantic but filming wasn't, because they were mainly looking at different cameras. He said he and Mario are just friends... "we are not that sweet to each other!"... (damn)...

And apparently in real life, Pitch isn't so shy and sensitive... he is more witty and fast talking.

Beachlover
September 23rd, 2008, 06:19
Nevertheless, I have the strong opinion that The Love of Siam is the best Thai movie ever made, and possibly the best gay movie ever made.

That's a bold statement.

I haven't seen many Thai movies... the only other one I've seen is Beautiful Boxer... I actually liked that much better than Love of Siam, which was a little long for me. I only just saw Beautiful Boxer and was stunned by how good it is. I'm amazed it hasn't been more widely released. Even the trailer is extremely well made.

Summer Storm is the only other gay movie (I can think of) I've seen... I thought that was extremely good.

The nude scene from "Pleasure Factory" is on Xtube.com .... gawd that Li Zoohan (spelling?) is cute... even more so when he's stark naked and wanking :drunken:

September 23rd, 2008, 06:54

That's a bold statement.

I haven't seen many Thai movies... the only other one I've seen is Beautiful Boxer... I actually liked that much better than Love of Siam, which was a little long for me. I only just saw Beautiful Boxer and was stunned by how good it is. I'm amazed it hasn't been more widely released. Even the trailer is extremely well made.

Summer Storm is the only other gay movie (I can think of) I've seen... I thought that was extremely good.

The nude scene from "Pleasure Factory" is on Xtube.com .... gawd that Li Zoohan (spelling?) is cute... even more so when he's stark naked and wanking :drunken:

If you must get cultural and watch Thai movies try A Passage To Spring shot around the Pattaya area.....Wonderful and such a poetic script...

September 23rd, 2008, 06:58
I haven't seen many Thai movies... You're missing out on some real treats. There's an entire genre of Thai vampire movies, all about the intestine-seeking women who live on the fringe of villages. Thankfully they're totally slapstick. You don't need to understand a word of Thai to enjoy them, especially with a Thai boy under each arm. Oh, and some of the Thai male actors (all young-ish) who star in these films are fairly easy on the eye, too

lonelywombat
September 23rd, 2008, 06:59

Can you give a link I am unable to locate it

fedssocr
September 23rd, 2008, 08:55

Its strongest competition is the amazing Korean film No Regrets. A film which has received NO COMMENT on this board.

Good night.

Well, I am a total sucker for pretty much all "coming of age" movies, so I am completely in love with Love of Siam. There's a reason why it won the awards it did. It is certainly not harmed by the fact that Pitch is so beautiful.

As for No Regret....I guess I would have to say to each his own. I personally hated No Regret. And frankly I wonder how many gay movies you have ever seen if you think that is one of the best gay movies ever.

And it's hard to quantify "best" of any sort of broad category. Best Thai film by what standard exactly. I think a film like Citizen Dog gives Love of Siam a run for its money, but they are completely different sorts of films so it is a bit difficult to compare them really.

September 23rd, 2008, 08:59
Henry doesn't watch any movies that don't feature young boy flesh, so 95% of all films are outside his realm of interest. I'm therefore not quite sure how he can pronounce any one film "the best of all time".

Sen Yai
September 23rd, 2008, 11:36

Not true Henry. Perhaps you missed this thread a few months ago:

www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/no-regrets-gay-movie-playing-in-bangkok-t14807.html?highlight=regrets (http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/no-regrets-gay-movie-playing-in-bangkok-t14807.html?highlight=regrets)

TrongpaiExpat
September 23rd, 2008, 12:58
Opening soon is this new Thai movie called 'Diving' I caught the trailer, it's teen boys in tight swimming trunks posing and jumping off a diving board. I guess there some plot, I can't figure it out. The poster has three boys shirtless. It's all in Thai.

Thai films have to be classed in a totally different category then western made movies. Comparisons are just not possible.

September 23rd, 2008, 13:28
Opening soon is this new Thai movie called 'Diving' I caught the trailer, it's teen boys in tight swimming trunks posing and jumping off a diving board. I guess there some plot, I can't figure it out. The poster has three boys shirtless. It's all in Thai.

Thai films have to be classed in a totally different category then western made movies. Comparisons are just not possible.

japanese actually, i think its called Dive http://dive-movie.jp/

another very good gay movie to try is Lan Yu. its even allowed to be seen in Singapore, as the ending doesnt offend the morals of Singapore, despite the full-frontal nudity from the cute young chinese actor.

TrongpaiExpat
September 23rd, 2008, 13:52
Yes, that's what I saw, dubbed in Thai. That should start the juices flowing in some of our esteemed Sawatdee posters. It will be playing in Bangkok but not sure if Chiang Mai has any movie houses that play non Thai or non Hollywood movies?

September 23rd, 2008, 20:58
Yes, it is a new Japanese movie which looks like splendid fun. There's a big discussion about it over on Gay Boy Thailand.

Dive! looks like a better reincarnation of that fun movie, Water Boys. The plot may be thin, the characters non-existent, and it's really all about watching very cute Japanese boys running around in Speedos. Thank God that the Japanese make movies like this: they know how to appreciate their lovely young guys in the bloom of youth. I would be astonished to see a film like this coming out of Farangistan.

And, yes, as the board natterers were saying, I really should be watching films about Fat White Cows with a politically correct equal enthusiasm.

Sorry :-) No can do -- and no want to do!!!!!! By that logic, I should be spending half my time in girlie bars. That logic stinks.

Not only does it stink, it's actually kind of scary...

By the way, The Love of Siam, in my opinion, soars way above these flicks. Agreed, it may not be the BEST Thai movie ever made, and it may not be the best gay movie ever made (especially considering the ending). I made those comments mostly to stir up thinking and reflection.

Some of my other candidates for "best gay movie:" Maurice and Pixote.

Beachlover
September 23rd, 2008, 21:02

Can you give a link I am unable to locate it

I think they took it down.

In any case... just search "Loo Zihan" (actor) and "Pleasure Factory" on Google. You might have to trawl through a few websites to find the pics or a downloadable clip.... but you'll eventually find somewhere where someone has uploaded it to Rapid Share or something.

If you search "Pleasure factory" on Google now.... one of the first hits is a youtube vid... this has nudity but only shows the dangly bits via the mirror (misses the full frontal, wanking and stiff dick)... but I don't know how long this will be up for... YT doesn't allow nudity.

September 23rd, 2008, 21:51

Spot on, Chao Na.

Do you feel your homophobia creeping up on you?

Beachlover
September 23rd, 2008, 22:02
[quote="Chao Na":1omiufbp]Both movies were absolute, total cinematic dreck. The only reason why people like Henry Cate coo and purr over them, is that they include eye candy.

Spot on, Chao Na.

Do you feel your homophobia creeping up on you?[/quote:1omiufbp]

I think he feels that itchy, irritating sand crawling up his anus or vagina.

So why not hunky, young boys/men? They are beautiful and are at the peak of their youth, beauty and sexuality. It's natural to admire them.

PeterUK
September 23rd, 2008, 23:23

I see. So someone who is not prepared to suspend his critical faculties and call a movie wonderful just because it has a gay theme and some cute young actors in it is being homophobic. More to the point perhaps, how dare anyone disagree with Henri! Careful now, the blood-dripping barbarian in you is showing beneath the none-too-subtly-hinted civilised exterior.

September 23rd, 2008, 23:24
Admire them, sure. But don't confuse movies with nice eye candy as movies with necessarily any cinematic merit.

September 23rd, 2008, 23:56

I see. So someone who is not prepared to suspend his critical faculties and call a movie wonderful just because it has a gay theme and some cute young actors in it is being homophobic. More to the point perhaps, how dare anyone disagree with Henri! Careful now, the blood-dripping barbarian in you is showing beneath the none-too-subtly-hinted civilised exterior.

Tsk, tsk, Peter. You are over-writing again. We're just talking about a freeping movie, Pete. And you have to dive into your wannabe-writer's lexicon and come up with "blood-dripping barbarian."

Let's face it, Peter, you're a diaper-rash baby, and you specialize in complaining and whining. You have done this for all of your life. You are a sour-faced Grump. (And I know why!)

September 24th, 2008, 00:07

Name a gay movie you like (or a gay novel). PROVE that you are not a self-hating homophobe, Petie.

Whoops, I have to go now, an extremely handsome guy is coming over to sleep with me. He is also an English student who has advanced to Level Two.

I think something sexual might happen! :-)

September 24th, 2008, 00:09
There is so much more to this movie than the "gay theme".

The grandma /friends taking care of kids ....

The way a family deals with the loss of a loved one...

The length Thais will go to keep others happy/please them ( fake sister /missing nose etc)

The whole thing about gay not being an issue among the vast majority of Thais & schoolfriends ( mother excepted)...

The abuse of alcohol...

The forgiving side of people who have been rejected but still care enough to help....

And much more.

A lot of thai traits and characteristics that most of us already know about through years of visits but may take for granted are covered , but also a reminder that all thais aren`t poor and living in village shacks.

I have watched it quite a few times with Thai friends and each and every one of them said it was wonderful. I do suspect if we could all understand Thai fluently we would enjoy it more as the subtitled versions shall we say aren`t always accurate in the translation.

September 24th, 2008, 00:12
I should add that a lot was edited out from the movie to keep the politically correct brigade/moral police happy.

If you go to youtube and search rak siam deleted scenes you can see a lot more.

September 24th, 2008, 03:00
Well, it's really quite a silence.

In the meantime, I did have a wonderful evening with a wonderful guy!

He kind of loves me, and I definitely love HIM. He let me take pictures tonight (plus video) and so he got an extra-big tip (which is what I wanted to do in any case, since he has just dealt with his father being arrested by the police for being Burmese).

The pix and video are mine. They are not Internet stuff.

:-) :-) Don't you wish...

TrongpaiExpat
September 24th, 2008, 17:10
Yes, it is a new Japanese movie which looks like splendid fun. There's a big discussion about it over on Gay Boy Thailand.

Dive! looks like a better reincarnation of that fun movie, Water Boys. The plot may be thin, the characters non-existent, and it's really all about watching very cute Japanese boys running around in Speedos. Thank God that the Japanese make movies like this: they know how to appreciate their lovely young guys in the bloom of youth. I would be astonished to see a film like this coming out of Farangistan.

And, yes, as the board natterers were saying, I really should be watching films about Fat White Cows with a politically correct equal enthusiasm.

Sorry :-) No can do -- and no want to do!!!!!! By that logic, I should be spending half my time in girlie bars. That logic stinks.

By the way, The Love of Siam, in my opinion, soars way above these flicks. Agreed, it may not be the BEST Thai movie ever made, and it may not be the best gay movie ever made (especially considering the ending). I made those comments mostly to stir up thinking and reflection.

You can see this in Bangkok at Lido 2 in a few days, dubbed in Thai, not sure English subs or not, I suspect not and not sure the Thai Culture Minister won't pull it like they just did with another Japanese movie about child prostitution at the Bangkok Film Festival. Might be off their radar screen, both Lido and The House are not mainstream and most don't even have a clue where they are located.

'The Love of Siam' was on Thai TV last night, they cut the kissing scene.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmlmUP37lbQ

This is not the same trailer that I caught this week at Lido. The Thai dubbed version had more still frames of the boys with close shots of their swimwear. I could not believe it.

Beachlover
September 24th, 2008, 19:36

You can see this in Bangkok at Lido 2 in a few days, dubbed in Thai, not sure English subs or not, I suspect not and not sure the Thai Culture Minister won't pull it like they just did with another Japanese movie about child prostitution at the Bangkok Film Festival. Might be off their radar screen, both Lido and The House are not mainstream and most don't even have a clue where they are located.

'The Love of Siam' was on Thai TV last night, they cut the kissing scene.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmlmUP37lbQ

This is not the same trailer that I caught this week at Lido. The Thai dubbed version had more still frames of the boys with close shots of their swimwear. I could not believe it.

I couldn't believe there's a shot of them pulling down their speedos bare bummed from behind! The director HAD to put that in the trailer didn't he?

PeterUK
September 26th, 2008, 14:02
Let's face it, Peter, you're a diaper-rash baby, and you specialize in complaining and whining. You have done this for all of your life. You are a sour-faced Grump. (And I know why!)

An impressive display of malevolence, Henry. I thought it went without saying that every regular on this board is the wreck of a human being. You most certainly are. Any happy, well-adjusted person coming across this board would spend about five minutes of increasing alarm reading the bitchy and downright weird posts and then run away as fast as possible.

Name a gay movie you like (or a gay novel). PROVE that you are not a self-hating homophobe, Petie.

Sorry, old chap. but I don't respond to requests framed as demands (unless, of course, the 'requester' is wearing uniform and has the power to inconvenience me).

Beachlover
September 26th, 2008, 20:39
An impressive display of malevolence, Henry. I thought it went without saying that every regular on this board is the wreck of a human being. You most certainly are. Any happy, well-adjusted person coming across this board would spend about five minutes of increasing alarm reading the bitchy and downright weird posts and then run away as fast as possible.

That's a bold assumption and untrue.

PeterUK
September 26th, 2008, 23:59
That's a bold assumption and untrue.

It's known as exaggeration for comic effect. Never mind.