PDA

View Full Version : Suvarnabhumi Queues

TrongpaiExpat
September 18th, 2008, 18:57
I departed Thailand this Monday at 10am, wait time for immigrations was 2 min. to get stamped out.

I arrived back Thursday at 1600 and wait time for immigrations for entry to Thailand was less than one min. One other person in my line. About 10 active lanes for B section Immigrations. C section immigrations was open and I did not notice many in the hall.

I don't know if there are just a lot more immigrations officers now or less people going to Thailand, probably both. The airport was pretty quiet.

The Taxi queues have moved closer to exit C now. Wait time was 0 min. They were waiting for me. The other queue was at the other end, exit A, I did not see what was going on down there. That gets the domestic traffic.

I noticed that the police (I assume) are keeping the taxi touts out of the terminal and out of the sidewalks and exits. They are all held across the street behind a barricade. They yell, wave, hoot and hold big home made signs. One was offering Pattaya 1000B.

September 18th, 2008, 22:42
... cabs from airport to Pattaya myself now at 1000 sometimes 1200, with Mr Toom, great service.

thaiguest
September 19th, 2008, 08:14
I departed Thailand this Monday at 10am, wait time for immigrations was 2 min. to get stamped out.

I arrived back Thursday at 1600 and wait time for immigrations for entry to Thailand was less than one min. One other person in my line. About 10 active lanes for B section Immigrations. C section immigrations was open and I did not notice many in the hall.

I don't know if there are just a lot more immigrations officers now or less people going to Thailand, probably both. The airport was pretty quiet.

The Taxi queues have moved closer to exit C now. Wait time was 0 min. They were waiting for me. The other queue was at the other end, exit A, I did not see what was going on down there. That gets the domestic traffic.

I noticed that the police (I assume) are keeping the taxi touts out of the terminal and out of the sidewalks and exits. They are all held across the street behind a barricade. They yell, wave, hoot and hold big home made signs. One was offering Pattaya 1000B.

I've taken all kinds of taxis from the airport- to BKK city and to Pattaya-and sometimes I get a fearful premonition, especially when in an 'unofficial' vehicle, that nobody will every see me again.
Thankfully so far I've arrived safely at my various destinations but the fact remains that getting into an unmarked car (especially) with a total stranger at the wheel in a labyrinthian city of 12 million people, is dangerous.
Was there not a case, some years ago, of an English tourist being shot dead in the back of an 'official' BKK taxi by the driver?

TrongpaiExpat
September 19th, 2008, 12:14
Your pretty safe if you take a taxi from the official taxi lanes at the airport. They give you the drivers name and a 'Complaint Form' you can mail in if there is a problem. The drivers must fear that form as many ask to see it like it has some information on it they need and then you don't get it back.

New meter fare to central Bangkok (Silom) is 250 on meter+50 surcharge+45 toll+30 toll= 375 in moderate light traffic. Have exact change and there's no problem.

As for a fear of Bangkok, I guess that's more perception than reality. For some reason I feel more comfortable (safe) in Bangkok than I do in Pattaya and that is probably not rational either.

Over many years of using taxis in Bangkok, I have never had a serious problem. Maybe one in 100 pulls some trick, a long route, no change or no meter but most of that is easy to avoid.

Most of the farangs that run into serious trouble with a taxi driver could have avoided the confrontation. I know this one farang that was short changed about 60 Baht from a fare. He argued to no avail with the driver and gave the driver a slap on the back of his head. As the farang was getting out, one leg on the pavement and one in the taxi the driver lunged the cab forward dragging the farang along the road. He did not break any bones but need some stitches and it cost a lot more then 60B.

September 19th, 2008, 12:57
They give you the drivers name and a 'Complaint Form' you can mail in if there is a problem.

Not if you're DEAD! :bounce:

September 20th, 2008, 00:03
They give you the drivers name and a 'Complaint Form' you can mail in if there is a problem.

Not if you're DEAD! :bounce:

Is there a big problem, then, with Bangkok airport taxi drivers murdering their fares?

September 20th, 2008, 00:27
Chao Na wrote:
"Is there a big problem, then, with Bangkok airport taxi drivers murdering their fares?"

The person who got killed probably thought the problem at least moderately large. On the other hand, this thought would have been a fleeting one.

September 20th, 2008, 00:29
Chao Na wrote:
"Is there a big problem, then, with Bangkok airport taxi drivers murdering their fares?"

The person who got killed probably thought the problem at least moderately large. On the other hand, this thought would have been a fleeting one.

Who was that, then?

September 20th, 2008, 00:32
Chao Na wrote:

Who was that, then?

Still can't master Google? Oh dear, what are we going to do with you?

September 20th, 2008, 00:40
I don't know, worship me as a god among men?

September 20th, 2008, 01:06
I don't know, worship me as a god among men?

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: Classic

September 20th, 2008, 02:27
[quote="Chao Na":1pxgj9go]I don't know, worship me as a god among men?

Classic[/quote:1pxgj9go]

Yes, it wasn't bad. (NBN - I got rid of your bouncy things. Do try to find a less juvenile way of drawing attention. People may start to worry)

September 20th, 2008, 10:04
I don't know, worship me as a god among men?Happily I don't believe in God, or god(s).I've already acknowledged Chao Na as a figment of his own imagination

yaraboy
September 20th, 2008, 12:18
I think the game played by the Official (Mafia) taxis is to put the meter on a distance before arriving. On last two trips the meter seemed to click beyond 35 baht very quickly. On one instance the driver also demanded the Complaint slip.....I said I had lost it.
In future I am going back to the Departures area where I have never had a problem......but never go with a guy waiting on the pavement. Always jump in a just arrived taxi

TrongpaiExpat
September 20th, 2008, 12:40
The meters in all taxis in Bangkok have been officially reset and do click along faster after the initial 35B now. Roughly it adds about 50B more for a trip to central Bangkok from the airport.

Going up to arrivals can save you the 50B add-on charge but many of those waiting on that floor have had to pay the traffic control guy a bribe and you will get that tacked on to your fare some way.

One time I jumped in a taxi at that level, the meter was covered with a towel, he was on the exit ramp before I realized that the meter was not on and he was not going to turn it on. First he wanted 500 but came down to 300 with quite an argument. Two other people (one farang, one Thai) told me the same thing happen to them taking a taxi at the arrivals floor.

Pay the 50B airport charge and avoid the problems.

September 20th, 2008, 13:13
Pay the 50B airport charge and avoid the problems.Catch one of the A1 - A4 airport buses and avoid all of that nonsense, why don't you? - http://www.bangkokairportonline.com/node/55

September 20th, 2008, 13:34
[quote="Chao Na":3l8vlaka]I don't know, worship me as a god among men?

Classic

Yes, it wasn't bad. (NBN - I got rid of your bouncy things. Do try to find a less juvenile way of drawing attention. People may start to worry)[/quote:3l8vlaka]

I felt that as the majority of posters on this board are obviously well advanced in years ( very very old) a little visual stimulation would help keep there brain active.
:blob4: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

September 20th, 2008, 14:46
[I felt that as the majority of posters on this board are obviously well advanced in years ( very very old) a little visual stimulation would help keep there brain activeI find the sight of a sphincter hovering inches away from my face and pulsating more than enough of a stimulus

TrongpaiExpat
September 21st, 2008, 00:46
Pay the 50B airport charge and avoid the problems.Catch one of the A1 - A4 airport buses and avoid all of that nonsense, why don't you? - http://www.bangkokairportonline.com/node/55

At 140 B it works out for one person but the BF was with me and for two it's not much of a saving and we don't live on any of the routes, so would end up taking a taxi from one of the near-by stops. 140x2+40 for taxi = 320 vrs. taxi from airport 250+50+45 toll+30 toll = 375

September 21st, 2008, 05:31
At 140 B it works out for one person but the BF was with me and for two it's not much of a saving and we don't live on any of the routes, so would end up taking a taxi from one of the near-by stops. 140x2+40 for taxi = 320 vrs. taxi from airport 250+50+45 toll+30 toll = 375That's actually a world-wide phenomenon from any airport I've ever done the calculation. One person - ok, two people - marginal, three people - don't bother, a taxi's cheaper. Yet the number of Cedric's fave people - back-packers - you see religiously taking the bus together because it's "cheaper" means they've never worked it out

September 21st, 2008, 15:11
At 140 B it works out for one person but the BF was with me and for two it's not much of a saving and we don't live on any of the routes, so would end up taking a taxi from one of the near-by stops. 140x2+40 for taxi = 320 vrs. taxi from airport 250+50+45 toll+30 toll = 375That's actually a world-wide phenomenon from any airport I've ever done the calculation. One person - ok, two people - marginal, three people - don't bother, a taxi's cheaper. Yet the number of Cedric's fave people - back-packers - you see religiously taking the bus together because it's "cheaper" means they've never worked it out

Don't try that at home, Batman. According to BAA, a taxi from Heathrow to central London costs 45-70 pounds, the tube 4 pounds.

And just for Chao Na, here is the link. http://www.baa.com/portal/page/Heathrow ... e120a____/ (http://www.baa.com/portal/page/Heathrow%5EGeneral%5ETo+and+from+Heathrow%5ETo+and +from+London/fd0d9b25f9599110VgnVCM10000036821c0a____/448c6a4c7f1b0010VgnVCM200000357e120a____/)

September 21st, 2008, 15:19
Don't try that at home, Batman. According to BAA, a taxi from Heathrow to central London costs 45-70 pounds, the tube 4 pounds.I'd have thought the Heathrow or Gatwick Express was a more valid comparison, as it is dedicated airport transport, and it's 16 pounds or so? I'm sure there are even cheaper modes of public transport in Bangkok and elsewhere, but that was not the point I was making

September 21st, 2008, 16:08

Thanks for the advice. Might be a bit safer also.

Do you know how frequently these buses run?
I checked the website, but it seems to be a secret.

September 21st, 2008, 16:12
Pay the 50B airport charge and avoid the problems.Catch one of the A1 - A4 airport buses and avoid all of that nonsense, why don't you? - http://www.bangkokairportonline.com/node/55Thanks for the advice. Might be a bit safer also. Do you know how frequently these buses run? I checked the website, but it seems to be a secret.I think every 15 or 20 minutes

Sen Yai
September 21st, 2008, 16:29
That's actually a world-wide phenomenon from any airport I've ever done the calculation. One person - ok, two people - marginal, three people - don't bother, a taxi's cheaper.

Care to tell us the cities that you've done this caluclation for?

Here's a few on my (and your) regular itinerary:

Singapore Taxi S$25 vs MRT S$1.20 (3 x 1.2 << 25)
Hong Kong Taxi HK$340 vs Airport Express HK$90 (3 x 90 < 340)
Sydney Taxi A$50 vs CityRail A$14.80 (3 x 14.80 < 50)
Auckland Taxi NZ$50 vs Airbus Express NZ$15 (3 x 15 < 50)
Kuala Lumpur Airpot Limo RM120 vs ERL RM35 (3 x 35 < 120)

Your assertion "three people - don't bother, a taxi's cheaper" doesn't seem to be borne out in any of the above places.

September 21st, 2008, 17:23
Your assertion "three people - don't bother, a taxi's cheaper" doesn't seem to be borne out in any of the above places.You are assuming in each case that the bus (or whatever) takes you to the front door of where you want to go. I've no idea what you've used as your source, but a taxi between the airport and the city routinely costs me <$30 in Sydney; I think some of your other examples are confusing straightforward public transport with dedicated airport transport. In San Francisco I can take the BART for about $5 from the airport but the Blue Van costs about three times that amount, and a taxi commensurately more

September 21st, 2008, 17:28
Catch one of the A1 - A4 airport buses and avoid all of that nonsense, why don't you? - http://www.bangkokairportonline.com/node/55

This bus is good only if you stay at the particular hotels or street corner where the bus stops, otherwise, with luggage, you will have to take a taxi after you get off the bus. You end up not saving much money, but go through a lot of hassle and waste a lot of time.

September 21st, 2008, 18:30
Catch one of the A1 - A4 airport buses and avoid all of that nonsense, why don't you? - http://www.bangkokairportonline.com/node/55This bus is good only if you stay at the particular hotels or street corner where the bus stops, otherwise, with luggage, you will have to take a taxi after you get off the bus. You end up not saving much money, but go through a lot of hassle and waste a lot of time.I should say that I'm basing my assertions based solely on personal experience, always a dangerous thing to do. This year, sadly, I can only list the following airports as those I've been through multiple times with varying numbers of companions . Bangkok you can take as a given (or, actually, Bangkoks - Suvarnabombsite and the other one), Singapore, Sydney, Melbourne, Auckland, San Francisco, Los Angeles (LAX and Long Beach), Houston and Heathrow. Sen Yai seems to have a different list of personally, multiple-y experienced airports and, dare I say, seems in one or two cases to be basing his information on what the airport Web site itself says - often a dangerous practice in my experience, particularly when they mention taxi prices as they usually want to cover themselves against sticker shock from passengers who experience a price greater than on the Web site, hence they pitch the estimated price at the high end of the potential range ie. when the traffic is moving at 5 mph on average! However, as Sen Yai is obviously, like myself, a jet-setter of renown and vast experience, I look forward to reading his list of airports personally experienced in the past 12 months, with different multiple others and different forms of transport

Sen Yai
September 21st, 2008, 19:39
Homintern, you already have a list of some of the airports that I have passed through this year (but why are we limiting ourselves to the last 12 months, or canтАЩt you remember back further?) and I can only add Brussels, Rome (Fiumicino and Ciampino), Paris (CDG), Dublin, London Heathrow and of course Bangkok (Suvarnabhumi and Don Muang) to that list.

I must also admit that I have not passed through all of them тАШmutliple timesтАЩ (although I have for some of them) and not always with varying numbers of companions.

A further admission is that I can not be sure that I remember the exact fare I paid in each of these locations, or the fare for the alternative that I did not choose so, in anticipation of being challenged (in true Sawatdee fashion), I did do a little research on the web before I posted my first comment. This will explain why you are unable to contradict the figures I listed.

Anyway, this is all just a distraction from your initial un-substantiated, sweeping generalisation of a тАШworld-wide phenomenonтАЩ and we know how much you abhor such loose talk when exhibited by others.

Btw, you might be interested to know that you could take 9 catamites along with you on the train from Zaventerm to Gare Central for the price of an airport taxi in Brussels, in case you ever visit Baziel.

September 21st, 2008, 20:17
Sorry, Homi, as far as Heathrow's concerned, you're never going to make your point hold. Even if you say the tube isn't comparable to a bus, there are also numerous busses from Heathrow to central London which also cost 4 pounds. At night, they're even cheaper. Heathrow Express is grossly overpriced. Why anyone would knowingly pay 16 pounds to end up in Paddington is beyond me - unless, poor things, that's where their hotel is. With an Oyster card the tube is less than 3 pounds and it gets you within walking distance of almost anywhere in central London. Anyone who doesn't know the city can locate their hotel using its postcode on www.streetmap.co.uk (http://www.streetmap.co.uk) and so easily find their way from the nearest tube stop - or just stick out their hand and get a taxi for 3-4 pounds.

September 22nd, 2008, 03:48
Sorry, Homi, as far as Heathrow's concerned, you're never going to make your point hold. Even if you say the tube isn't comparable to a bus, there are also numerous busses from Heathrow to central London which also cost 4 pounds. I haven't said the tube isn't comparable to a bus, nor was I suggesting people don't use it. I was merely commenting about dedicated airport transport vs. taxis. As I said in my response to Sen Yai, I didn't mention the BART in San Francisco, as I also didn't mention the Howick bus company service that runs to Auckland Airport nor the Sydney buses standard service that runs to Sydney Airport. None of those services is a dedicated airport service. Equally the MRT service to Changi's T2 is another all-purpose public transport example, it's not a dedicated airport service. As for the Heathrow Express, I guess your sentiments are not shared by the numbers of people who use it - it's always full whenever I'm on board. The original context, you may recall, was the dedicated A1 etc. bus service to and from Suvarnabombsite

September 22nd, 2008, 03:49
Btw, you might be interested to know that you could take 9 catamites along with you on the train from Zaventerm to Gare Central for the price of an airport taxi in Brussels, in case you ever visit Baziel.Plucky little Belgium is not on my To Do list. As a devoted follower of my scribblings, I'm sure you're equally familiar with my contempt for people who trot out isolated examples that supposedly invalidate a general principle. I'm equally contemptuous of people who misquote, so for the record here's what I originally said, unaltered and in all its glory
a world-wide phenomenon from any airport I've ever done the calculation

Sen Yai
September 22nd, 2008, 05:32
Colonel, as you have failed to provide many examples of airports from which you have actually тАШdone the calculationтАЩ your hypothesis of a resulting тАШworld wide phenomenonтАЩ still seems to be at best an optimistic extrapolation and far from establishing a general principle.

However, since my eyesight is just fine, I will provide a further quote of yours тАШunaltered and in all its gloryтАЩ, from this same thread:

I think every 15 or 20 minutes
And perhaps therein lies your problem. I suggest you up the frequency that you engage the grey-matter to at least 6 times an hour to avoid such unguarded postings in the future. :albino:

September 22nd, 2008, 06:25
However, since my eyesight is just fine, I will provide a further quote of yours тАШunaltered and in all its gloryтАЩ, from this same threadOooh, you are a little tease aren't you? If you truly believe I want to waste my time parading genuine pearls before imitation swine by providing chapter and verse you haven't been following along

colmx
September 22nd, 2008, 06:55
Dublin Airport to City Centre:
Bus=тВм6
Taxi=тВм18-20

So i think Himinterms hypothesis holds up there

yaraboy
September 22nd, 2008, 10:49
Shall we return to the topic ......BANGKOK
TrongP I am aware that meters jump from 35 baht faster now but not as fast as the last two Arrivals taxis I took
Also as I advised get in a taxi that has just arrived at Departures..............not one waiting where he has time to place towels over the meter etc.

Save yourself Lineup
50 baht
Meter ripoff