PDA

View Full Version : Have the raids stopped??

September 16th, 2008, 18:09
Have the raids stopped? Have the mayor and political leaders in pattaya realized that the raids may have had a negative impact on tourism? I have heard also that large numbers of police were reassigned to Bangkok to help deal with the problems there.

September 16th, 2008, 18:16
Have the mayor and political leaders in pattaya realized that the raids may have had a negative impact on tourism?As the tourism they wish to promote is family-friendly (ie. more lard-arsed Russian women, sitting on the beach, plaiting the hair under their arms) such a consideration is quite inimical to their thought processes

September 16th, 2008, 18:46
Yes, I'm sure that promoting pedo-tourism is high among the priorities of the city fathers.

globalwanderer
September 16th, 2008, 18:47
however as the focus is off them I guess they are relaxing

Lunchtime O'Booze
September 16th, 2008, 21:51
Have the raids stopped? Have the mayor and political leaders in pattaya realized that the raids may have had a negative impact on tourism? I have heard also that large numbers of police were reassigned to Bangkok to help deal with the problems there.

these policies are always one of life's greatest mysteries not only to us but to the people that make them.

However-that Pattaya airport is being upgraded so it can take an Aeroflot jumbo each day instead of one a week.

September 16th, 2008, 21:57
However-that Pattaya airport is being upgraded so it can take an Aeroflot jumbo each day instead of one a week.

Surely any airport that takes one jumbo jet a week can accommodate one per day. I mean, it doesn't take them a week to offload the passengers, does it?

jimnbkk
September 16th, 2008, 22:24
[quote="Lunchtime O'Booze":1naplfvx]

Surely any airport that takes one jumbo jet a week can accommodate one per day. I mean, it doesn't take them a week to offload the passengers, does it?[/quote:1naplfvx]

Chao Na, This is Thailand, remember?

September 17th, 2008, 02:58
Yes, I'm sure that promoting pedo-tourism is high among the priorities of the city fathers.

If it were indeed high on their priorities Chao Na, the city fathers would have to look no further than yourself for advice on the matter as you seem to be a (self-appointed) authority on that particular subject.

lo-so
September 17th, 2008, 04:31
No police raids in Sunee plaza for about 3 weeks- and it seems very much business (such that it is) as usual.

thrillbill
September 17th, 2008, 07:20
There have only been a handful of "raids" in Pattaya--most in Sunee Plaza, so just stay away from the place if that is a worry. If you keep your nose clean, why worry?

September 17th, 2008, 09:49
After reading the posting you will notice a bottom line with four boxes. Just click on the one that says pm and that will send to to the message area. Type and send.

Lunchtime O'Booze
September 17th, 2008, 09:54
[quote="Lunchtime O'Booze":3lv0swjz]

Surely any airport that takes one jumbo jet a week can accommodate one per day. I mean, it doesn't take them a week to offload the passengers, does it?[/quote:3lv0swjz]

please note : AEROFLOT !!..the answer is yes !

thrillbill
September 17th, 2008, 15:45
[quote="Chao Na":39qwklj7][quote="Lunchtime O'Booze":39qwklj7]

Surely any airport that takes one jumbo jet a week can accommodate one per day. I mean, it doesn't take them a week to offload the passengers, does it?[/quote:39qwklj7]

please note : AEROFLOT !!..the answer is yes ![/quote:39qwklj7]
__________________________________________________ ________________________________________________

Most Western families that want a Thailand beach vacation go to Phuket or one of other islands. I keep wondering why the Russian families choose Pattaya? The sidewalks make it hard to walk down with a group of children or with a infant stroller; the beaches are NOT as nice and "family oriented" as other beaches in Thailand...so it makes me wonder what their beaches are like back home. Yes, I realized they get on those cheap chartered flights, but many of them do have the money to stay in the 4-5 star hotels in Pattaya. Their increase in numbers the last couple years has most likely helped out the merchants in town which is good.

September 17th, 2008, 23:20
They will stay in a 4-5 star hotel pretty much all the time apart from afternoon in Pattaya park and an evening trip to brave the delights of Royal garden and Beach Road.
Rumour has it that they are currently keeping the real estate market going pretty much single handed.

September 18th, 2008, 05:49
They will stay in a 4-5 star hotel pretty much all the time apart from afternoon in Pattaya park and an evening trip to brave the delights of Royal garden and Beach Road.This from The Spectator this week

I have to go to New York this week, and the thing thatтАЩs surprised me most about the city recently has been the pronounced animosity towards Russian tourists by upmarket hoteliers. тАШSorry about the noise,тАЩ said one to me in a hotel bar there three weeks ago. тАШTheyтАЩre Russian.тАЩ On a recent trip to Milan, I lost count of the number of luxury goods manufacturers who told me that Russians are now their number one customers worldwide. The thing is, nobody wants them in their hotels. They might order the most expensive champagne, they might pay rack rate, and they might order expensive food just to see what it looks like, but тАФ according to the hotel industry, and IтАЩve spoken with people who look after hotels in Europe, North America and Asia тАФ theyтАЩre rude to the help, raise their voices at the breakfast buffet and allow their womenfolk to go topless at the pool.

September 19th, 2008, 03:31
I've generally thought Russian tourists are worth avoiding based purely on their thuggish appearances.

It's reassuring to know that there's some justification for my somewhat arbitrary views.

On the downside, their tourist numbers are only going to increase whilst we still need to buy their oil & gas.

September 19th, 2008, 18:27
You come across russian tourists all over the world these days. I have noticed that when you are in a situation that requires total strangers to communicate with each other out of politeness, such as squeezing into a lift or arriving at a door at the same time, then virtualy all other nationalities will make an effort to communicate, and with smiles and pidgeon English make the event bearable. Russians however, dont do small talk and social graces. They seem to have a mindset that inhibits conversation, possibly becuse they look upon fellow tourists in the same way as the locals. And yes, they are often loud.

September 19th, 2008, 19:01
You come across russian tourists all over the world these days. I have noticed that when you are in a situation that requires total strangers to communicate with each other out of politeness, such as squeezing into a lift or arriving at a door at the same time, then virtualy all other nationalities will make an effort to communicate, and with smiles and pidgeon English make the event bearable. Russians however, dont do small talk and social graces. They seem to have a mindset that inhibits conversation, possibly becuse they look upon fellow tourists in the same way as the locals. And yes, they are often loud.

Maybe not for much longer. their economy is suffering same as most are but is more fragile than other developed western/asian countries. The Russian stock market was closed early yesterday after dramatic losses. Many people lost their whole investment portfolio value or saw its worth plunge by huge %.

latintopxxx
September 19th, 2008, 19:15
what a load of crap...russians are loud..what about @$%^americans or australians...at least the younf russian guys are cute in a slavic way...makes a diff from all the plucked barbie girls floating around...love the russies...more the merrier

Lunchtime O'Booze
September 19th, 2008, 20:59
I've generally thought Russian tourists are worth avoiding based purely on their thuggish appearances.

It's reassuring to know that there's some justification for my somewhat arbitrary views.

On the downside, their tourist numbers are only going to increase whilst we still need to buy their oil & gas.

I got into a lift at the Royal Cliff a few weeks ago with 3 Russian tennis players..talk about hot flushes and swooning !

I desperately looked for the alarm button-to stop the lift so I could spend as much time as possible with them. They looked at me like a was a piece of dirt on their shoes. God it was wonderful.

September 20th, 2008, 05:33
On the downside, their tourist numbers are only going to increase whilst we still need to buy their oil & gas.Not if their latest stockmarket crash is any guide