PDA

View Full Version : Thais spend alomost the same

September 15th, 2008, 09:30
http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_new ... ?id=130656 (http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/breakingnews.php?id=130656)

Interesting article. It appears 15 million foreign tourists spend around 600 Billion Bahat, while the locals spend around 400 Billion. Given these facts, why should we as farangs expect special treatment. Rather we should consider part of the industry and be humble like the Thais in our ways. If we adopt their ways, I am sure we are going to be more welcome and treated properly by the boys. Guys, let us carefully watch the market trends and the direction it is moving on. More Asian tourists than the farangs. We dont dominate the markets any more. So let us not live in the false paradise

September 15th, 2008, 09:37
It appears 15 million foreign tourists spend around 600 Billion Bahat, while the locals spend around 400 Billion.Or to put it another way, 15 million foreign tourists spend 600 billion baht (400,000 baht each), while 60 million Thais spend 400 billion baht (67,000 baht each). I think that's a 6:1 ratio in favour of foreign tourists. What's your argument again, stevekoolguy?

September 15th, 2008, 09:41
Have u noticed that they (Thais) are also very humble, polite and kind when they deal with whether be it a waiter, begger, workers, taxi drivers. When they holiday internally, they treat the staff at the hotels, bars, resturants, vendors, anyone with respect. They speak softly, and with a smile. Lets do some soul search and change our ways. Otherwise, the warning is around the corner ..... we are no longer welcome. We have already lost 50% of the respect we enjoyed several years ago

September 15th, 2008, 09:43
Have u noticed that they (Thais) are also very humble, polite and kind when they deal with whether be it a waiter, begger, workers, taxi drivers. When they holiday internally, they treat the staff at the hotels, bars, resturants, vendors, anyone with respect. They speak softly, and with a smile. Lets do some soul search and change our ways. Otherwise, the warning is around the corner ..... we are no longer welcome. We have already lost 50% of the respect we enjoyed several years agoIf you had read any book on the subject you would know that the Thais smile as a form of body language, to avoid conflict. It has nothing to do with being friendly.

September 15th, 2008, 09:46
All 67 Million people can not afford to travel, like in your own country all don't travel. So let us take a certian percentage of the population that has the disposaable income and then do your math. Also they earn a Bahat to bahat, unlike you and me bring a Dollar and Pound and so many times of their money. So take your 400,000 per foreigner and divide it by 35 and then take the population and say 50% spend on travelling, then you will find you spend less than them. Don't dick further, it will smell on you Buddy

September 15th, 2008, 09:56
So take your 400,000 per foreigner and divide it by 35 and then take the population and say 50% spend on travelling, then you will find you spend less than them.So you think making up the numbers will help you prove your point?

September 15th, 2008, 09:58
Use your brains and think like intellectuals

September 15th, 2008, 10:02
Use your brains and think like intellectualsYou mean the intellectuals who make things up to fit their idea of the world? Henry Cate and so on?

September 15th, 2008, 10:31
Sorry steve - the worst thread/posts by you so far.

Patexpat
September 15th, 2008, 11:12
Have u noticed that they (Thais) are also very humble, polite and kind when they deal with whether be it a waiter, begger, workers, taxi drivers. When they holiday internally, they treat the staff at the hotels, bars, resturants, vendors, anyone with respect.

my friend who works in in-room dining at a (the?) 5* hotel here in Pattaya would strongly dispute this statement!

September 16th, 2008, 01:00
All 67 Million people can not afford to travel, like in your own country all don't travel. So let us take a certian percentage of the population that has the disposaable income and then do your math. Also they earn a Bahat to bahat, unlike you and me bring a Dollar and Pound and so many times of their money. So take your 400,000 per foreigner and divide it by 35 and then take the population and say 50% spend on travelling, then you will find you spend less than them. Don't dick further, it will smell on you Buddy

The figures you have "guesstimated" for Thai tourists are, at best, incorrect and are at odds with those given by the ATTA whom you quote as your authority. I cannot find the actual Thai tourist figures from the ATTA for 2007, but their estimate for 2007 and actual figures for 2006 are given in the Thai Economic Review, Year End 2006, as well as the comparative figures for foreign tourists; a number of both Thai and foreign tourists are obviously repeat tourists. These figures are as follows:

(2006 figures): "The number of foreign tourists at the end of 2006 was estimated at 13.65 million people, generating 481 billion baht. About 84.63 million local tourists would generate an additional 383.2 billion baht."

(2007 forecast figures): "The TAT remains upbeat that tourism should generate the country about 547.5 billion baht in 2007 from 14.8 million foreign tourists тАж. Revenue from domestic tourists is forecast at 337.8 billion baht from 82 million person-trips."

This gives expenditure of baht/person-trip of:

Foreign tourists: 35,238 (2006) 36,993 (2007)

Thai tourists: 4,528 (2006) 4,119 (2007)

Have u noticed that they (Thais) are also very humble, polite and kind when they deal with whether be it a waiter, begger, workers, taxi drivers. When they holiday internally, they treat the staff at the hotels, bars, resturants, vendors, anyone with respect.

my friend who works in in-room dining at a (the?) 5* hotel here in Pattaya would strongly dispute this statement!

As would any relatives or friends of those poor Thais knocked down, injured, or killed, deliberately or accidentally, by wealthy "hi-so" Thais while, for example, waiting for a bus who are then paid a pittance not to press charges - or witnesses to any of the other examples of mutual "respect", or rather lack of it, shown between the various strata of Thai society.

Sorry steve - the worst thread/posts by you so far.

And that is saying a lot - so much so that he now appears to have been visiting another country. And what the hell is a "bahat"??

September 16th, 2008, 09:49
Gone Fishing good analysis. This is the kind of sharing of information that I like to encourage in this forum

September 16th, 2008, 10:02
Gone Fishing good analysis. This is the kind of sharing of information that I like to encourage in this forumI agree with Gone Fishing's analysis - here is the highlight for me

Sorry steve - the worst thread/posts by you so far.And that is saying a lot - so much so that he now appears to have been visiting another country. And what the hell is a "bahat"??I wonder why stevekoolguy thinks it's so wonderful, however, as it shows him up to be a complete idiot.

September 16th, 2008, 11:58
It appears 15 million foreign tourists spend around 600 Billion Bahat, while the locals spend around 400 Billion.Or to put it another way, 15 million foreign tourists spend 600 billion baht (400,000 baht each), while 60 million Thais spend 400 billion baht (67,000 baht each). I think that's a 6:1 ratio in favour of foreign tourists. What's your argument again, stevekoolguy?

And how much of the 400 billion baht, spent by Thais is actually coming from the foreigners' pockets?

September 16th, 2008, 18:55

And how much of the 400 billion baht, spent by Thais is actually coming from the foreigners' pockets?

Not quite sure what you're insinuating here. That all Thai tourists are prostitutes? That only Thais with businesses serving farangs have enough money to go on holiday? What, exactly?

latintopxxx
September 17th, 2008, 20:56
-chao na...finally your worthless 2 cents worth comment...what took you so long.
-stevekoolguy, what a misnomer, if you think that all Thais are nonstop super polite to one another than please invite me to live on your lala land planet.....wtf are you, a new zealand school teacher from timaru!!!

September 17th, 2008, 23:05
I have come to this thread late in the day so after reading all of it I had to spend a quite moment sitting down so as not to get too depressed about Stevecoolguy's lack of maths education and grasp of statistics. This took longer than expected due to constant wondering about what the hell a bahat was. Thank goodness that Gonefishing came along after having spent the time researching some grown up data books and not made up figures as he went along.
I think now that it is fairly obvious that foreign tourists spend much more per head than domestic ones, especially if they come in on a Thai owned carrier. What nobody has defined yet is a domestic tourist. The average Thai doesnt take a holiday as such. What will happen is that they will visit family on special occasions each year, or on public holidays all pile into the pick up truck and go to the beach. Of course, we farangs have a slightly askew view of Thai holiday makers as we see mainly midle class Thais enjoying themselves. I am not sure if the agricultural hinterland of Thailand would have much going on that would earn their population the title 'tourist'.
Joseph put a rather clever spanner in the works by asking about what proportion of thai money spent as a tourist came originally from foreign pockets. Close analysis of this reveals the stupidity of the comment even though we think we know what he actually means. Its like a baht bus owner who works in pattaya and picks up 50% farang customers and then saying that 50% of his holiday was paid for by tourists. It is as absurd as saying that lets say 10% is paid for by the schoolkids he gives a ride to each morning. The comparison is crass.
Last but nearly least, we have Chao Na putting in his usual drivel, this time reducing the arguement even further by asking Joseph if he was referring to prostitution when he mentioned foreign money going into Thai pockets, and then falls over his own illogic by asking if he also meant that all Thais are prostitutes......weird.
Lastly, and going back to Stevecoolguys original message, there was his secondary point that because all Thais are supposed to be spending what a relatively few foreign tourists spend at the same time, then we, the foreigners, have to start behaving differently in what we expect in the way of respect, service and treatment from Thai's we meet during our stay. Well yes, I think I get that but what he surely means is that we are all, Thai and foreigner, treated alike with mutual respect on all sides. Now please dont mention dual pricing...dont even go there!!!!