PDA

View Full Version : Favourite time of year to visit Pattaya

September 12th, 2008, 21:59
My favorite time to visit thailand is Oct and Nov as the days are a little cooler and the nights are very pleasant. The boys are usually returning form the farms in anticipation of the high season which usually starts to pick up mid Nov so there are uually plenty of new faces in town. I also enjoy the Jan and feb months but there are more tourist in town then so one has to get to the bars early or the best boys are already offd.

TrongpaiExpat
September 12th, 2008, 23:11
I prefer visiting Pattaya in the Summer/rainy/off season. Less traffic, easy to get a room almost anywhere and cheaper rates. Sure, there can be days that are a rain out but many days are fine and if it rains in the evening, it clears the air, cools down the temps and washes the som tam and dust off the sidewalks. Take an umbrella and hit the town. Rainy days in Pattaya don't get me down.

jolyjacktar
September 13th, 2008, 00:20
Im Looking forward to my January visit. This to me is my favourite time as the New year is over and can go out on 1st Jan and have 4 weeks good holiday. Weather is good then and plenty of people about for a good laugh

francois
September 13th, 2008, 00:26
Any time of the year is best for me. But summer does have lesser traffic and less competition for resources.

September 13th, 2008, 01:12
I do go all different times but i prefer low season.

dab69
September 13th, 2008, 01:17
I like to escape the end of winter in the USA and return when it has warmed up a bit.
Cuts the cold season just a bit to make it more mamageable and something to look forward to.
Nothing would be worse than to acclimate to the heat of TH for a few weeks and
return to subfreezing temps back home.

On the plus side, February airfares are always way down.
Slow season is just starting in TH as well, but not
much of a factor.

thanatorn-old
September 13th, 2008, 02:22
I wouldn't mind being there at anytime except Songkran as that is just too manic and demands a high level of patience. All seasons are great, even the rainy season, as I really love the heavy downpours ( not the drippy pissy rain in the UK).

joe552
September 13th, 2008, 02:28
For the past few years I've gone in September, and loved it. The weather's never been a problem - I just want it to be hot! I can't compare it to high season, but there's always been enough 'life' to keep me entertained. 7 days and counting!

bing
September 13th, 2008, 03:27
I have been in LOS at most times of the year. Seems whenever I go it is raining.. he he. Oh well, I just figured I offended a weather God or something. I was there just after Songkran last year, very wet but nice. and I'll be visiting again in about 3 weeks. October is nice but I know you can get wet in Bangkok for sure in Oct. I think the bars are always busy. I did find a bar in Bangkok that was not crowded infact I was the only customer. It is just a block or two from Tawan, I went in for a beer in the afternoon, I was the only customer and the three workers, just insisted on giving me a massage. Hmmm two of the young men took one of my arms and the third one slipped off my sandals an began working on my feet. I almost pulled away thinking this is too much, sure glad I resisted that urge. Natually I sprung for some drinks and left some baht for the boys when I left an hour and a half later. I'm not sure if that qualifies as decadance, but it felt that way to me. It turned out to be one of the happy memories of the trip.

September 13th, 2008, 04:32
So will there be a decent supply/demand balance in the gogo bars from 24~31 December, or should I get out there early in the evening?

September 13th, 2008, 04:41
So will there be a decent supply/demand balance in the gogo bars from 24~31 December, or should I get out there early in the evening?Speaking generally, not specifically about Pattaya, that period is the height of the high season. Not only will there be the most Westerners about, the prices will be the highest. Yet there always seem to be plenty of boys to choose from provided you're not leaving it until the lights go up after the last show of the evening. I tend to collect the Duty Mem'sahibs together about 6pm, which means (always the considerate one) that I have freed them up to go meet their temporary boyfriend from abroad by say 7.30 or 8, or they can go and work at the bar (if a bar boy). I believe this is known as "win-win"

Dodger
September 13th, 2008, 05:55
I'm with luvthai on this one.

October-November is my favorite time. I love the short rain showers in the afternoons, cooler evenings, fewer farangs, plenty of cute new faces and a little more elbow-room at the discos.

splish...splash

ceejay
September 13th, 2008, 06:19
I'm with luvthai on this one.

October-November is my favorite time. I love the short rain showers in the afternoons, cooler evenings, fewer farangs, plenty of cute new faces and a little more elbow-room at the discos.

splish...splash

Another vote for October/November here - and, in addition to the above, if you get out into the countryside it is still green and lush from the rainy season.

Shuee
September 13th, 2008, 18:44
i would say any time after the new year is good i.e. january, even better are the months leading upto songkran, so i like the months of jan-april

much much less tourist & many more choice therefore in the bars

Shuee
September 13th, 2008, 22:06
you should try it KM, also if you go to the beach, you get service quicker & more choices to sit, it really makes sense going january onwards

September 14th, 2008, 00:42
There is not that much difference, in my experience, between the various seasons (except Songkran in April which is hideous). Please don't use the image of high/low season in European resorts as comparison, because in tropical Thailand the weather is not as different from one season to the next, so low season is never as quiet as low season in, say, Greece or Spain.

Low Season - July to September:

The weather is more unpredictable, typically with an hour or two of rain each day, but otherwise sunny or cloudy. In a beach town, you're wearing shorts and sandals anyway, and with just an extra umbrella, some water here and there shouldn't bother you much. You'll still be able to get around quite easily even if it rains. I myself like a daily drenching to cool and clean the air.

The bars are distinctly quieter, and yes, you may find yourself the only customer once in a while. You may also find that the number of working boys are slightly fewer during the wet season - they have to go back to their farms for planting rice and other reasons. However, you will still be spoilt for choice. The boys will still outnumber customers many times over. There shouldn't be much problem even if you are the only customer, so long as you keep to the well-trodden parts of Pattaya.

Traffic-wise, the low season is much, much better. In the high season, Beach Road and Second Road are almost impossible to cross on foot - and there are hardly any traffic lights to help you. Even though the streets are quieter, there are still plenty of transport options.

At Jomtien, low season on the beaches is significantly quieter, and in my opinion, and better for it. In the high season, it's just too crowded and noisy for me. I also remember occasions then the fellas to the left and right were smoking and I had no other beach-chairs to move too since they were all occupied.

As you can guess, I have stopped going during high season.

adman5000
September 14th, 2008, 05:02
I like December.

Shuee
September 14th, 2008, 23:01
nice calander i heard that ww gave some of these away - you must have been one of the lucky one

i still prefer january - April, begining of april (stay for songkran if you like!)

its not nice not being able to sit at your fav spot at the beach, or food takes a while to arrive & then sometimes a little cold.
also october- december being so busy that you have to sqeeze in between customers & their potential off's when you want to visit your favourite bar, or you have to settle for a crummy seat as the place is so busy, or the best looking guys are offed most nights as you rush to get to the bars in time

nah no thanks