PDA

View Full Version : Babylon B and B: Bait and Switch?

Alan-old
March 14th, 2006, 16:28
Last week, I made a last minute reservation at the Babylon Bed and Breakfast by calling the number on their website. I was quoted 2500 baht per night for a "garden room." I booked for two nights. The lady took my name and said I was all set. I arrived at about 12:30 P.M. on the appointed day and was told that the room was not available but I could have a room for 3500 baht. When I protested, the clerk said that their policy is whoever pays first gets the room. I asked why, then, do you take reservations if you don't honor them? Of course arguing with him was useless so I just left and found accomodations elsewhere. Just be warned.

March 14th, 2006, 17:42
Times are changing then. I was always treated fairly there. I see that large pink building nearby can be booked as hotel suites. I think it was on Expedia that I saw it, if the Pinnacle or Malaysia don't suit.

yaraboy
March 14th, 2006, 20:43
Any name for 'large pink building' ?

March 14th, 2006, 22:58
Expedia have this on the second page (http://www.bangkok.com/pantipcourt/) at ┬г47pn when I searched for Bangkok Hotels.

Called Pantip Court, it's on Sathorn Soi 1 very close to Soi Nandha.

Does anyone know if the Bulgari Garden Rooms at BBarraks are in the blue tile roofed house visible from the Barracks?

blazer
March 15th, 2006, 09:50
They should have happily given you the upgrade at no extra charge given it was their mistake. Another example of taking the customer for granted. May work in the short run, but usually not in the long run. And probably that room went empty that night.

Smiles
March 15th, 2006, 11:51
http://www.bangkok.com/pantipcourt/

TrongpaiExpat
March 15th, 2006, 20:02
It seems to be pretty much standard practice to give your room away to walk in's and/or over booking but every time it has happen to me, I have been upgraded to a better room or another hotel's better room at the same rate I had a reservation for. Actually it has happen to me quite a few times and most every time, I have got a better deal in the end.

Once at the Tartawan, I arrived and was informed that they did have my reservation but there were no rooms, they arranged a room across the street for one night free.

It could be that the guy at the Babylon was just confused/or ill informed rather than some official policy.

Regarding Pantip Court: I paid a visit there a few months ago. Very expensive for monthly rates, similar property further out are half that price for the same quality. Still, it was very nice. It's not a hotel, most are monthly renters. It does a big business with the near-by embassies. We were there during the week and it was very quiet, no one was at the pool or fitness center, they said everyone at work now. They do discount the monthly published rent quite a bit, the man showing us the apartment kept lowering the offer as I began showing less interest. He also said that they will soon have a free shuttle service to Saladang BTS.

Alan-old
March 17th, 2006, 14:03
I had a similar experience at Tarntawan. They didn't have the double room I booked. So, they gave me a suite for the price of the room. Of course, that was more than fair and I was happy. Even when a room became available the next day, they let me stay in the suite for the duration of my stay.

I'll never stay at Babyon B and B. Of course, I can't say I won't use the sauna. :drunken:

Dick
March 18th, 2006, 03:06
Whilst sipping my (free) wine one evening in the lobby of Tarntawan, I did hear tell from an authoritive source that the demand for rooms at the Tarntawan can at times be 4 times greater than the availability. It's a popular hotel. It's good to read that guests who have experienced difficulties have been treated very fairly and that's both reassuring and a measure of the integrity of the hotel. I imagine returning guests are given priority when it comes to reservations, but it's worth remembering to reconfirm your reservation a fortnight beforehand to help them with room allocations.
When as a relative newbie to Thailand I turned up unexpected at the Tarntawan a few days early in high season. They made a conscious effort to fit me in. I haven't forgot that.
Nice people to do business with!