PDA

View Full Version : What "city" is Jomtien?

March 14th, 2006, 14:41
I live in Jomtien and my address ends in: "Nongprue, Banglamung, Cholburi 20150 Thailand".

But, I believe that all of Pattaya City ends in the same series of place names.

Is the Jomtien area included in Pattaya City? What are the boundaries of Pattaya City?

Gaypattayan
March 15th, 2006, 04:16
Pattaya City is a special creature of the law, created as a special city and given its own elected officials with a degree of control over its own affairs. It remains, however, part of the tambon, amphur and changwat in which it is situated. Some administrative matters are handled by the City; some by the District officials in Banglamung, and presumably some by Nongprue Tambon, tthough I have no idea where its offices are located. The provincial offices, (Changwat), of course are located in Chonburi, the capital of the province. (All provinces in Thailand bear the name of their capital city.)

However, traditionally Thailand's addresses are shown by tambon, amphur and changwat (sub-district, district and province). All of Pattaya City is within the limits of the (Tambon) sub district of Nongprue, which is part of the Amphur (District) of Banglamung, which in turn is within the large province of Chonburi.

When you go to the Immigration Office to fill out any (at least most) of the forms foreigners must fill out, you must use the Nongprue, Banglamung, Chonburi "routine". Still, Jomtien is a part of (not a separate city) the City of Pattaya. Your mail address usually is pretty much that way, though the postal authorities will accept an address such as "223 Moo 10, South Pattaya Road, Pattaya City 20260, Thailand." (Remember, though! Numbers of streets do NOT run consecutively! Some say they represent the order in which buildings existed when ori8ginally numbered, and then new buildings added with their own new number when they become occupied. I don't know exactly how that works, but it works for the postal authorities, if not for anyone else.)

I don't understand exactly what "Moo" is supposed to represent, but I believe it is a major street or artery, off of which all of the sois and sub sois run. South Pattaya Road is Moo 10. I believe Thappraya Road (going to and being a major part of Jomtien) is Moo 12.

As for the "boundaries" of Pattaya City, I fear that you would have to get that information from Pattaya City Hall, or some official Thai entity. The boundaries appear to change periodically, with no public notice that I am aware of. Generally, Pattaya runs from Naklua on the North to some point south of Jomtien. It appears Pattaya's boundaries were expanded to include Chaiyapruek Road at the police box near the southerly end of Jomtien, and extended easterly of Sukhumvit Road, apparently to include the new indoor sports arena. Pattaya "appears" to include parts of Sukhumvit Road southerly from Chaiyapruek Road, though I see no official starting or endng point there. I have no idea how far east of Sukhumvit the City of Pattaya extends now, but it apparently extends at least to the new Indoor Sports arena.

I hope this vague explanation is of at least some help.

G.P.

March 15th, 2006, 12:02
GP, thanks for that explanation!

I had always assumed that Jomtien was NOT a part of Pattaya, partly because of the sign over the road leading from Jomtien Beach Road to Hanuman statue saying "Welcome to Pattaya -- The Extreme City" (not sure of the exact wording actually).

March 15th, 2006, 12:23
"Moo" means "group". It is simply a numbered -- rather than named -- administrative subdivision of a tambon (or, in Bangkok, of a "khwaeng" -- the Bangkok equivalent of a tambon.

March 15th, 2006, 12:25
"Moo" means "group". It is simply a numbered -- rather than named -- administrative subdivision of a tambon (or, in Bangkok, of a "khwaeng" -- the Bangkok equivalent of a tambon).

March 19th, 2006, 03:16
Moo also meansd pig. :alien:

Up2U
March 19th, 2006, 04:22
"Moo also meansd pig. "...They are different words. Moo rising tone means pig and moo low tone means group.

March 19th, 2006, 17:58
"Moo also means pig."...They are different words. Moo rising tone means pig and moo low tone means group.

But isn't it fun to tell boys you live on a pig!

bkkguy
March 19th, 2006, 18:23
But isn't it fun to tell boys you live on a pig!

... whereas they usually live off one!

bkkguy

Gaypattayan
March 30th, 2006, 16:54
I took a drive out Jomtien Beach Road in the last few days, well beyond Soi Chaiyapruek, where I usually turn up toward Sukhumvit. On this day, I decided to go further out
Jomtien Beach Road to see where the Pattaya City southerly boundary on Jomtien Beach Road is now located. I found the new boundary marker right in front of the street marker for Soi 19. So Jomtien's city limits now spread southerly to Jomtien Beach Soi 19, and then the line heads up to Sukhumvit somewhere westerly of where the Indoor Sports Arena has been built on Chaiyphruek Road -- and I think I have spotted the marker on Sukhumvit, but it is not as clearly a boundary marker (on Sukhumvit) as the one on Jomtien Beach road which specifically says "'Pattaya City Boundary Marker."

After turning off toward Sukhumvit, I noted that there is still quite a distance on Jomtien Beach Road as it heads out toward Hotel La Royale, but I am not sure the road goes all the way through to Hotel La Royale, but a sign on Jomtien Beach road where I turned off did indicate a direction sign to "La Royale Beach" as heading directly south on the Jomtien Beach Road.

Maybe an adventure for another day.

G.P.