PDA

View Full Version : Chef Minister?

PeterUK
September 9th, 2008, 09:29
I never expected to feel even a smidgeon of sympathy for the current Thai Prime Minister, who has presided over a government abysmal even by Thai standards. I can think of all sorts of legitimate and compelling reasons why he should lose his job. Until now, however, it never occurred to me that hosting a few cookery programmes on TV might be among them. Some daft senators and the Election Commission have brought just this charge against Samak and he will hear the verdict in the Constitutional Court today. He will cease to be Prime Minister if the Court finds against him. So it's all right for Thai politicians to cook the books to their hearts' content, nobody will bat an eyelid, but cook up a few noodles on TV and - kapow! - prepare for the wrath of the judiciary. There's really no point trying to parody Thai politics, it does the job so much more brilliantly and inventively itself.

September 9th, 2008, 11:11
And the joke goes on. If they find against him they cant stop the PPP simply electing him to be PM again.

September 9th, 2008, 12:26
But there is also another verdict on another case about to be announced, which may have some impact. One newspaper is reporting the possibility of Banharn replacing him.Banharn!! Once named as the most corrupt politician in Thailand

globalwanderer
September 9th, 2008, 17:21
(BangkokPost.com) - The Constitution Court Tuesday found Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej guilty of violating the constitution by hosting two cooking shows on commercial television.

The nine judges voted unanimously that Mr Samak must step down.

They also ruled that cabinet ministers remain in the government until new members are elected.

Mr Samak was found to have violated the Article 267 of the charter by taking money from a production firm, Face Media, for hosting the Chim Pai Bon Pai (Tasting and Grumblimg) and Yok Khayong Hok Mong Chao (All Set at 6am) cooking programmes.

The charter prohibits a premier from hosting any position in a partnership, company or an organisation carrying out business with a view to sharing profits or income, or being an employee of any person.

Dodger
September 9th, 2008, 18:06
With the government in a total state of chaos and on the brink of another coup, this idiot has time to flip noodles on TV.

Now I know why my BF prefers cartoons over the newspaper.