PDA

View Full Version : It's official - hookers earn B20K/month

September 9th, 2008, 09:21
The country is suffering from widespread drug abuse and a rising number of young male prostitutes, the youngest being 13, the Office of the National Economic and Social Development Board's deputy secretary-general, Kittisak Sinthuwanich, said.

The report also found that there are 48,000 people working in the sex industry, including students, of which 44.4 per cent were aged between 13 and 16. About 60 per cent of the sex workers earned about Bt20,000 a month.
http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2008/09 ... 082906.php (http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2008/09/09/national/national_30082906.php)

September 9th, 2008, 09:25
The country is suffering from widespread drug abuse and a rising number of young male prostitutes, the youngest being 13

The writer of this article obviously hasn't been to Sunee Plaza recently.

September 9th, 2008, 09:38
the figure would have been higher, except for the infamous '50 baht incident' with latintopxxx

September 9th, 2008, 09:43
the figure would have been higher, except for the infamous '50 baht incident' with latintopxxxIf stevekoolguy has his way, it will be double

September 9th, 2008, 11:22
In my survery over the years, I believe at least 50% of the workers (sex) in BKK earn more than 20,000 Bhat a month. Most of them are students and if they are spending their time at these Bars: obvious reason(s) being that they are able to make this kind of money. I know some of them even attend private universities and able to meet their expenses. This report is revealing, in the sense that village boys want to move away from the traditional farming community and enter the work force. The city life is expensive so is the tution fees and the attractive profession to find easy money is the nobel trade.

This is the reason I started a thread titled "University Students working the Bars" and expected members to share their expereinces with university students and their tales. Within a week a national reprt highlights the issue we could have prudently and intellectually discussed, though some contributed constructively and as usual got hijacked by the BS

September 9th, 2008, 16:15
Well, if it's official, they might pay income tax in the future.

What a crap...........over the last years, the Thai officials denied every form of prostitution and suddenly...........wow, prostitution exists and there are numbers and statistics available, next step, a prostitute has to register as a Co., Ltd. adn we'll have to pay 7% VAT & 10% Service.

Dodger
September 9th, 2008, 16:53
Quote:

About 60 per cent of the sex workers earned about Bt20,000 a month

Not that it really matters, but I think this number is way off target.

From what I've observed (and approximated) over the years, the average income for the majority (80%) of the working boys is closer to 9,000 bt/month, much lower than the news article is suggesting. My average is of course considering the broad range in earning capacity over the course of one year, low and high seasons included. The remaining 20% of the working boys (Superstars) are earning anywhere from 20,000 bt - 65,000 bt/month.

Evan considering the low cost of education in LOS, the majority (80%) still struggle with this without some kind of sponsor (that's where WE come in), unless, of course, they come from a family who can contribute funds towards their education, which, of course, 80% of the population can not afford.

The Superstars, on the other hand, could care less about formal education because they already earn more than the Mayor.

puckered_penguin
September 9th, 2008, 17:15
Quote:Evan considering the low cost of education in LOS, the majority (80%) still struggle with this without some kind of sponsor (that's where WE come in), unless, of course, they come from a family who can contribute funds towards their education, which, of course, 80% of the population can not afford.
Many can and do apply for student loans of course.

September 9th, 2008, 21:52
[quote:2abzj337]The country is suffering from widespread drug abuse and a rising number of young male prostitutes, the youngest being 13 ....The report also found that there are 48,000 people working in the sex industry, including students, of which 44.4 per cent were aged between 13 and 16. About 60 per cent of the sex workers earned about Bt20,000 a month.
http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2008/09 ... 082906.php (http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2008/09/09/national/national_30082906.php)[/quote:2abzj337]

Where do they get these statisics? Assuming two thirds (as good a figure as any) are female, that gives a figure of only around 18,000 female prostitutes in the whole of Thailand over 16. That would barely staff a fraction of Pattaya's beer bars.

.... This report is revealing, in the sense that village boys want to move away from the traditional farming community and enter the work force. ....

Are you serious? This is something that you think anyone who had ever been to a gay bar in Thailand could possibly not have realised within a very short time?? And you really think that "most" of the bar boys are university students???

Unbelievable.

September 10th, 2008, 07:00
Read carefully I have never said most are university students. It states most are students wanting to enter the work force

Bob
September 10th, 2008, 10:28
In my survery over the years, I believe at least 50% of the workers (sex) in BKK earn more than 20,000 Bhat a month. Most of them are students and if they are spending their time at these Bars

Obviously, personal guesses based on various contacts with sex workers leads to these grand estimates. Well, everybody has an opinion....

Based on my admittedly limited experience in Bangkok, it'd be my best guess that the average male sex worker earns less than 10,000 per month (and, if you had to pin me down, I'd bet the average is actually less than 6,000 a month) and I'm doubtful that college students make up any more than 5-10% of the male sex workers in Bangkok. A lot of the bar workers are lucky to get one off a week during the entire year (although, there are the stars of course that make tons of money but they obviously are in the minority). Your figures, Mr. Koolguy, that the average worker earns "more than 20,000 baht a month" and that "most of them are students" isn't even close to right in my opinion.

I've asked a bar owner that I knew in Bangkok (admittedly, 3-4 years ago) and my beliefs are based on what he told me.
Perhaps one or more of our members who live in Bangkok might just ask the same question of any bar owner he should know and let us know what's said.

September 10th, 2008, 20:31
the figure would have been higher, except for the infamous '50 baht incident' with latintopxxx

:flower: :geek:

September 10th, 2008, 21:55
Read carefully I have never said most are university students. It states most are students wanting to enter the work force

?????

"I believe at least 50% of the workers (sex) in BKK earn more than 20,000 Bhat a month. Most of them are students ....I know some of them even attend private universities and able to meet their expenses .... The city life is expensive so is the tution fees .... This is the reason I started a thread titled "University Students working the Bars" "