PDA

View Full Version : Om Yim Lodge (BKK)

September 9th, 2008, 05:53
Has anyone stayed at the Om Yim Lodge in BKK recently? How was it?

September 9th, 2008, 08:00
Has anyone stayed at the Om Yim Lodge in BKK recently? How was it?I'm not sure it would change all that much from the last time people stayed there and posted their experiences - Naratiwas Rd near Chong Nonsi BTS has to be a bloody noisy street!

September 9th, 2008, 09:01
Has anyone stayed at the Om Yim Lodge in BKK recently? How was it?

I stayed there for 2 weeks in June and really liked it. Wanted to write a review but never got the energy to do it. The location is perfect for skytrain access (Chong Nonsi station) but too far to comfortably walk to the Silom gay areas.
There are 4 floors but no elevator so beware. Rooms are nice but basic. They do have cable tv and wireless internet in the rooms. And they have lots of shelf/counter space to spread out. There is a fridge but no minibar in it - just 2 bottles of free water a day- so you don't have that extra charge at the end of your stay. If you want snacks though you have to stock up at Family Mart. The laundry rates were very reasonable.
Small restraunt in the lobby with basic food. Not great, just ok.

There is a chinese cemetary in the back. If you have a superstitious boyfriend you might want to make sure to book a front room.

September 9th, 2008, 09:18
agree with kenc except for the distance to Silom being too far to walk comfortably - even my Thai companions walked there after a night out at Silom without complaint.
its the first place i recommend to friends visiting BKK. just make sure you book early, being a small place (just 11 rooms) and very popular, its often booked out a long time in advance.

September 9th, 2008, 11:37
Do they charge Joiner-Fees Dave?

September 9th, 2008, 11:42
no joiners fee. the reception staff will keep the ID card of your visitor

TrongpaiExpat
September 9th, 2008, 13:02
There is a chinese cemetary in the back. If you have a superstitious boyfriend you might want to make sure to book a front room.

My BF told me I can't whistle after sunset because it attracts ghosts. Whistling in the day time is fine. If a plate is cracked, you have to throw it away or it will bring you bad luck.

I told him I don't believe in ghosts and he said maybe where you come from no have but Thailand have.

Thai ghosts don't seem to be very friendly either, no Gasper the friendly one around, only those that are up to no good. They do however seem to be making a decent living working in Thai movies.

September 9th, 2008, 13:21
I reckon Om Yim is an absolute gem. Great location, friendly, clean and affordable, fantastic staff. I stayed recently and have every intention of using it again and recommending it highly to friends visiting bangkok. Good idea to give them a bit of notice, but I know they will do all they can to accomodate you.

lonelywombat
September 9th, 2008, 13:54
agree with kenc except for the distance to Silom being too far to walk comfortably - even my Thai companions walked there after a night out at Silom without complaint.
its the first place i recommend to friends visiting BKK. just make sure you book early, being a small place (just 11 rooms) and very popular, its often booked out a long time in advance.

I did a google to see if they had a website Surprised to see it is closer to Sois2 and 4 than the old Tower Inn

http://www.omyimgroup.com/omyimhome.html

I have always walked from Tower inn , but sometimes if I am in a hurry hire a taximeter in silom, to return

The charge is usually 40baht. Hiring a taxi in Suriwongese where they do not use the meter, is often 100 baht or more

September 9th, 2008, 15:55
The charge is usually 40baht. Hiring a taxi in Suriwongese where they do not use the meter, is often 100 baht or moreI know this is a completely radical thought, and there is no "up" escalator that side, but how about using the Skytrain - only 15 baht? It runs until midnight

September 9th, 2008, 16:09
If a plate is cracked, you have to throw it away or it will bring you bad luck.

This is not superstition but basic hygeine, like the eating constriction in some religions e.g. eating shellfish. These heuristics are socially developed through case history experience. Cracked plates cannot be cleaned as effectively as glazed ones and will harbour germs.

searcher
September 9th, 2008, 16:29
Very friendly and helpful staff, except for the small arrogant receptionist . He asked for the whole money for several nights in advance when I checked in and did it in a very impolite way. This happened to other guests ,too though it was not their first time at this place.. No j.fee, security keeps ID.

September 9th, 2008, 17:00
certainly not my experience from several stays there. always given an account to pay at the end of the stay. and never had a problem with any of the staff at all

September 9th, 2008, 18:55
Don't miss the Chinese restaurant a couple doors down. Best xiao long bao (Shanghai soup dumplings) in town.

September 10th, 2008, 02:01
Thanks for the advice. Luckily my legs still work, so the options of walking or Skytrain should be fine.

As a light sleeper, a room overlooking the Chinese Cemetary sounds just fine.

They have confirmed in writing there are no joiners fees.