PDA

View Full Version : Welcome Plaza

September 9th, 2008, 00:55
Anyone with any recent experience of Welcome Plaza hotel? Attitude to charging joiners was variable over the years. Anyone know current policy? current rates?

Other recommendations of hotels near Boys Town (not in Boys Town), who do not charge for joiners?

Thanks in advance

Jim

Diec
September 9th, 2008, 04:32
Your welcome Jim.

September 9th, 2008, 06:35
Anyone with any recent experience of Welcome Plaza hotel? Attitude to charging joiners was variable over the years. Anyone know current policy? current rates?

Other recommendations of hotels near Boys Town (not in Boys Town), who do not charge for joiners?

Thanks in advance

Jim

I have stayed at Welcome Plaza many times over the years and have never had any problem with a "joiners charge" However I have observed other guests being charged for joiners (much to their chagrin) and it MOSTLY seemed that these were peoople who had booked via tour operators or cut-price internet sites. I formed the opinion (rightly or wrongly) that the Management see the imposition of a joiners charge as a way of recouping the discounts they have to give to the aforementioned category of guest.

The solution is very simple and has always worked for me - book direct with WP, specify that you will not pay a joiners charge - and have this confirmed in writing. OK you may pay a few baht more on the room rate but you will win in the long run and avoid any unnecessary hassle.

Incidentally, the sister hotel - Welcome Jomtien - although a bit further out, is in a much better state of repair than the WP. I gave up on the WP predominantly due to the state of the bathrooms where cracked basins, black mould on the tiles, leaking ceilings and wet floors seem to come as standard even in the suites. With a bit of negotiation I got in at the Welcome Jomtien at not much more than the WP - far better and no joiner charge as insisted on in my booking enquiry and stated by the management on the confirmation.

Hope this helps

:cheers:

September 9th, 2008, 15:17
Thanks for the info on Welcome Plaza.

Any other recommendations for hotels near (but not in) Boystown, with no joiners fee?

Thanks in advance.
Jim

September 9th, 2008, 18:01

Thanks in advance

Jim
I stayed in Royal Twins Plaza every time before moving here and found it to be excellent value ( especially if you become a member 300bt. and you make it up in one nights discount) and never a problem bringing back a guest. Last time I stayed there it was about 1250 after my discount which includes two breakfasts

joe552
September 9th, 2008, 20:57
I've stayed at WP every year for the past 6 years and have never been asked to pay a joiner's fee. Will be there in less than 2 weeks (yippee!)

September 9th, 2008, 22:43
Thanks for the info on Royal Twins. Never stayed there but interesting option. What are rooms like: fresh/tired, large/small etc. Also web site states price of Baht 2000. How does discount card work. can you buy on arrival and they apply discount immediatley or do you already have to be a member? Do they have large tour groups? is it very noisy? Did a web search and found other comments that they charge joiners fees. How do you avoid this when not checking in with a regular friend?

Thanks for any further help

Regards
Jim

DonMuang-old
September 11th, 2008, 04:36
I've stayed at the Welcome Plaza quite a lot in the past years but every time it degraded more and more. The last time I have been there the room has been infested by small insects from ants in the bathroom up to small roaches crawling around the wooden panels of the bed and the mirror. That was my last stay in this hotel.
As for the noise, it seems that the rooms both from the WP and the Royal Twins facing more to second road are quiter than the rooms facing more to the soi behind (the soi connection 2nd road to soi buakhao) as there is a lot of construction work there. Also there is some construction work on the north side of the royal twin.