PDA

View Full Version : Thefts on the baht bus

September 8th, 2008, 16:17
There are lots of thefts going on in Pattaya at the moment. "They" are really good at it from what I heard. A guy was telling another guy in Pattaya rently that he recently had a mobile phone stolen from his pocket on a baht bus after being distracted by a group of people, you would have thought he would have cottoned on, but then a few days later the same sort of scenario happened with his credit card, even though his pockets were velcroed. You would think the police would do something about this sort of behaviour.

September 8th, 2008, 16:25
There are lots of thefts going on in Pattaya at the moment. "They" are really good at it from what I heard. A guy was telling another guy in Pattaya rently that he recently had a mobile phone stolen from his pocket on a baht bus after being distracted by a group of people, you would have thought he would have cottoned on, but then a few days later the same sort of scenario happened with his credit card, even though his pockets were velcroed. You would think the police would do something about this sort of behaviour.

Ho, Ho, Ho.

WD, do you really think a theft on a Baht bus is news? It happens all of the time and why should Thailand's finest bother to do anything about it when there is nothing in it for them?

September 8th, 2008, 16:27
WD, do you really think a theft on a Baht bus is news? It happens all of the time and why should Thailand's finest bother to do anything about it when there is nothing in it for them?Don't pick on WhiteDesire, he's quite a young person - in fact, he was only born yesterday :idea:

September 8th, 2008, 16:30
As in all crimes they have to catch them before they can do anything. If you can catch them in the act then generally the driver and others will help to hold the robbers till police can be summoned. It boils down to the victims to be more vigilent in their surroundings.

September 8th, 2008, 19:19
watch for two or three females maybe with a child they will sit around you, the child will be moved several times and you will be asked the time, its all distraction and its when you move to get off that they try and steal from you.I've seen it work for them and I have also seen people realise what was happening and cause a scene, they just wait for the next bus!

September 9th, 2008, 06:50

If the guy was actually stupid enough to USE a credit card in Pattaya then he will find the theft of it may be the perfect excuse to explain away all the phantom purchases after it had been cloned by practically every shop he used it in - as he will probably find out presently.

:cheers:

September 9th, 2008, 17:11
WD, do you really think a theft on a Baht bus is news? It happens all of the time and why should Thailand's finest bother to do anything about it when there is nothing in it for them?Don't pick on WhiteDesire, he's quite a young person - in fact, he was only born yesterday :idea:

At least I was born, you were found in a johnny splashed across a tree.

September 9th, 2008, 17:13
At least I was born, you were found in a johnny splashed across a tree.Would that be a "johnny cum lately"?

September 9th, 2008, 17:14
If the guy was actually stupid enough to USE a credit card in Pattaya then he will find the theft of it may be the perfect excuse to explain away all the phantom purchases after it had been cloned by practically every shop he used it in - as he will probably find out presently.

How come someone is stupid using a CC in Pattaya, surely we use them all the time. It's not unusual to use CCs.

September 9th, 2008, 17:16
WD, do you really think a theft on a Baht bus is news? It happens all of the time and why should Thailand's finest bother to do anything about it when there is nothing in it for them?

That's probably one reason why there is a drop in tourism in Pattaya! Eventually, word gets around.

September 9th, 2008, 17:18
At least I was born, you were found in a johnny splashed across a tree.Would that be a "johnny cum lately"?

Stick to your day job Hom, you'd be no good as a comedienne! Leave the cracks to Joan Rivers!

September 9th, 2008, 17:50
Leave the cracks to Joan Rivers!She certainly sports many of them

September 9th, 2008, 18:52
Leave the cracks to Joan Rivers!She certainly sports many of them

At least the cracks on Joan Rivers' face are her own. The cracks on hummingturd's face belong to a rent boy's arse.

September 10th, 2008, 02:49

How come someone is stupid using a CC in Pattaya, surely we use them all the time. It's not unusual to use CCs.

I know several people who, after using CC's in BKK and Pattaya, returned home only to find lots of transactions appearing over the next few weeks - allegedly made in Singapore, Australia etc.
Of course you eventually get it sorted out with CC company but the hassle is something well done without.

I speak from experience!

September 10th, 2008, 03:39
From my experience, using credit cards in Birmingham (UK) can result in cloning, never mind Thailand.

In Thailand, I'd only ever use a credit card for emergencies.

September 10th, 2008, 05:39
I guess I am the contrarian; I always use my credit cards in Pattaya and Bangkok and never had a problem.

September 10th, 2008, 06:18
Stating the obvious: but use credit cards only where you can see the transaction being carried out in front of you, do not give your credit card to someone who walks away and carries out the transaction somewhere else in the premises. Make sure if a mistake is made is it rectified there and then and relevant information is destroyed.

When obtaining money from machines, ensure there are no skimming devices are attached to the machine.

Now unless there are "insiders" doing their business in banks, one should be ok with the above precautions.

September 10th, 2008, 09:25
I guess I am the contrarian; I always use my credit cards in Pattaya and Bangkok and never had a problem.

Congratulations and long may your credit card use be problem free - I am merely pointing out that theft, scamming and cloning of cards does (increasingly) happen and that I now feel much more comfortable paying by cash.

I certainly am much less worried about having a small sum of money stolen from me on a baht bus (the original thread) than to have Credit Cards removed from my pocket or cloned in certain establishments with all the hassle which that entails.

Of course, cloning and theft of Cards can occur anywhere in the world, but I do know a disproportionate number of people who have had these experiences in BKK and Pattaya.

Maybe the aforementioned acquaintances and victims are all just sex addicted alchoholics though - I do like to stick with my peer group after all :-p

September 10th, 2008, 18:09
... and this goes for a lot of people ... is that they don't take care when using cards, if you follow the rules then there will be no problems or the problems will be limited.

Having said that, I think I've mentioned this before, I did all that I could, but the scam I got caught up in was down to a postman, who stole my credit card statements, credit cards, credit card cheques, now there is nothing in the world one can do about that, even though I suspected it and reported it to the relevant people. I do believe this person has been deported now.

thrillbill
September 10th, 2008, 22:35
Evidently, Thailand has a poor reputation since I have to report to my two banks (where my credit cards are issued) how long I'll be in Thailand. If I don't inform them, they put a stop on it right away. This 'hold" on the credit cards has never happened when I used it in the Middle East, Europe, or in Japan.

September 10th, 2008, 23:26
Evidently, Thailand has a poor reputation since I have to report to my two banks (where my credit cards are issued) how long I'll be in Thailand. If I don't inform them, they put a stop on it right away. This 'hold" on the credit cards has never happened when I used it in the Middle East, Europe, or in Japan.

Spot on! Last year on arrival I unexpectedly found I could not withdraw cash from ATMs in BKK using my debit cards. I had to make frantic phone calls back to the UK and answer a multiplicity of security questions before the Banks woul allow me to make any withdrawals.

I do realise why they do this but I was unaware at the time and it caused some inconvenience

September 10th, 2008, 23:35
Spot on! Last year on arrival I unexpectedly found I could not withdraw cash from ATMs in BKK using my debit cards. I had to make frantic phone calls back to the UK and answer a multiplicity of security questions before the Banks woul allow me to make any withdrawals.

I'd be interested to know which bank does this. I've never had this problem with HSBC or Nationwide. If you read DV King's "History of the Hong Kong & Shanghai Banking Corporation" I think you'll find they are as Scottish as RBS, HBOS or LloydsTSB. The only major retail English Bank in the UK these days seems to be Barclays.

September 11th, 2008, 00:16
I wouldn't be too sure about HSBC. When I was last in Oz, there were a whole bunch of Brits in the Perth branch of HSBC who couldn't use their cards because they hadn't told their branch in advance. Not doubting your word that it was OK in Thailand last time you were there, but these things can change. I've never had a problem using my Nationwide card, however. So far!

thanatorn-old
September 11th, 2008, 00:38
The past four or five times I have been in there in LOS, I have had a nightmare experience trying to get money from an ATM. It has made no difference whether I advise the banks (Halifax, Abbey and Barclays) before I leave the UK or not; as soon as the card goes into the ATM it blocks for security reasons.

It is then a pain in the butt as you have to wait for UK banking hours - 6 or 7 hrs difference - to get to the relevant department- go through all the security, and then it takes twenty four hours to activate - (so much for advanced technology, telephone and online banking!!) They advise you you can use your card over the counter for purchasing transactions but if you want cash - forget it. I have nearly been caught out when checking out and your flight departure tiime clashes with opening hours at the bank.

On the last trip I tried several Thai banks to get an over the counter cash withdrawal, and the only place I had success was a Bank of Ayuthiai (spelling - sorry!!) booth on second road just before the upstairs Bowling Alley (PS Bowl - i think): - as long as you have relevant ID it is very easy to do there.

Sen Yai
September 11th, 2008, 01:25
It is then a pain in the butt as you have to wait for UK banking hours - 6 or 7 hrs difference - to get to the relevant department- go through all the security, and then it takes twenty four hours to activate - (so much for advanced technology, telephone and online banking!!) They advise you you can use your card over the counter for purchasing transactions but if you want cash - forget it. I have nearly been caught out when checking out and your flight departure tiime clashes with opening hours at the bank.

My experience is quite different. If my card is blocked at the ATM for any reason (it does happen sometimes) I just phone the 24hr Fraud Hotline, which is always answered immediatley and following a few security questions, they apologise and unblock my card so I can withdraw cash from any ATM within 10 minutes.

I suggest you speak to your bank(s) about this.

thanatorn-old
September 11th, 2008, 01:41
Thanks Sen Yai - I shall keep that in mind for next time - 83 days and counting - can't remember if I have done so before - I normally get the right royal runaround when calling and get so wound up i can't recall right now who dealt with what at the time.

September 11th, 2008, 02:10
i am not sure why anyone would be surprised that Thailand has a "bad reputation" for credit card theft--thailand is known for other things besides easy, but not free, sex.

also, while in many countries, it is now required that when the credit card slip is printed out from the swipe machine, it only prints the last four numbers, or none at all, but has a series of x's , so that some clerk processing slips at any time, may not simply easily copy and sell off the number to gangs who try to make a quick strike with the numbers in other parts of the world before the card is cancelled--in thailand, your full credit card number is printed out on the receipt you get and on the one the merchant keeps--so some poorly paid desk clerk as some hotel can copy it down and sell it, the minute you leave the desk. Most credit card companies won't accept from thailand the old fashioned credit card machines where the card impression is taken, they insist on the card being physically swiped and they will often also not accept, as they might do in the US, a manual entering of the numbers on the swipe machine--i don't know how much it all helps??

if you have been visiting thailand for many years and use your card a great deal, then i think you have been lucky or perhaps very restrictive as to where you use it.

September 11th, 2008, 02:12
I've been using credit cards in Thailand for 25 years, without a single incident. The only time I ever had a problem was in Prague, and it was rectified by my credit card company with a five-minute phone call. You're crazy if you think carrying cash is more secure than using a credit card.

September 11th, 2008, 02:22
i would not suggest carrying only cash, but for many purchases which in the past i have used a credit card, i do pay cash, taken from my atm, as has been indicated, most credit cards are efficient and helpful if you have a credit card number stolen, etc==that is why i always carrry several cards from different banks, so if one is compromised and has to be cancelled, i still have others to use. i would suggest being extra careful and a bit more selective where and when one uses their credit cards--also, most credit cards allow you check any transactiosn online--helpful (although be careful using a wireless connection or internet shop to entire financial info into a computer) as if you see a number of unauthorized transactions being made, you can alert your company and it appears to be easier to clean up the mess if it you catch it early.

September 11th, 2008, 09:50
By the way, Malaysia -- not Thailand -- is the regional capital for credit card fraud.

September 11th, 2008, 15:22
I wouldn't be too sure about HSBC. When I was last in Oz, there were a whole bunch of Brits in the Perth branch of HSBC who couldn't use their cards because they hadn't told their branch in advance. Not doubting your word that it was OK in Thailand last time you were there, but these things can change. I've never had a problem using my Nationwide card, however. So far!

Thank you, Homesick. I have to admit that I only use the HSBC card in Thailand when I'm in the vicinity of their branch at Lumpini and didn't use it during my trip last month so my experience with HSBC in Thailand really goes back to just before the coup. OTOH I have used the HSBC card in North America, Switzerland, and Hong Kong since the coup in Thailand.

September 11th, 2008, 15:59
I wouldn't be too sure about HSBC. When I was last in Oz, there were a whole bunch of Brits in the Perth branch of HSBC who couldn't use their cards because they hadn't told their branch in advance.Possibly this is a ploy by the Australians to encourage the Barmy Army to go home

September 11th, 2008, 19:30
I wouldn't be too sure about HSBC. When I was last in Oz, there were a whole bunch of Brits in the Perth branch of HSBC who couldn't use their cards because they hadn't told their branch in advance.Possibly this is a ploy by the Australians to encourage the Barmy Army to go home

You may be right. They weren't even very keen to allow me to put money into my account. Kept asking where I'd got it. Honestly, do I look like a criminal?

September 11th, 2008, 19:34
they were suspicious because all australians know that pommies keep their money hidden under the soap

September 12th, 2008, 04:11

I'd be interested to know which bank does this. I've never had this problem with HSBC or Nationwide. If you read DV King's "History of the Hong Kong & Shanghai Banking Corporation" I think you'll find they are as Scottish as RBS, HBOS or LloydsTSB. The only major retail English Bank in the UK these days seems to be Barclays.

It was both Abbey (part of Santander group) and Halifax (part of HBOS)

:-)

September 12th, 2008, 04:14
I've been using credit cards in Thailand for 25 years, without a single incident. The only time I ever had a problem was in Prague, and it was rectified by my credit card company with a five-minute phone call. You're crazy if you think carrying cash is more secure than using a credit card.

I'd be crazy if I listened to a tit like you.

That's all.

September 12th, 2008, 04:29
they were suspicious because all australians know that pommies keep their money hidden under the soap

You can't buy soap here for love nor money. Only that shower gel stuff. I've stopped washing on principle.

September 12th, 2008, 04:33
You can't buy soap here for love nor money. Only that shower gel stuff. I've stopped washing on principle.With our keen sense of history, we still follow the example of Good Queen Bess (Elizabeth I) who remarked that she bathed regularly once a month, whether she needed it or not

September 13th, 2008, 06:15
... keeps coming up on here as "ignore" all the time. You should ALL give him the opportunity to express his wealth of experience and communicado skills. I wouldn't put people on "ignore" - it is not my style - although Homiterm has come close to it believe me!

Homiterm: I hope you get solace out of talking to yourself! Change of approach maybe, less arrogant maybe!! Or could it be no one believes you and think you're full of that brown stuff!

September 13th, 2008, 07:18
As far as I know, most (if not all) card companies in the UK suggest you inform them of your travel plans. I have been doing this for many years and never had a problem. On one visit I got my pin numbers mixed up and rather than keep on trying and losing my card, I went to the exchange bureau at the Silom end of Pat Pong with my passport and they gave me the cash without any bother. I'm not sure if they make you put your pin number in a machine now as here in the UK. If they do then all I have written above is useless if you have forgotten it.

bao-bao
September 13th, 2008, 08:27
As far as I know, most (if not all) card companies in the UK suggest you inform them of your travel plans.

Most in the US suggest that, also - and I always do. Obviously it's no guarantee you won't have unauthorized charges attempted on your account, but it does avoid the chaos it can cause when you have it declined by the company when you're using it yourself while checking out, changing a flight or making a retail purchase.

I won't sign up for cards without a fraud guarantee - although I've not needed one yet. I hope I'm not breaking the magic spell when I say that so far I've never had any travel charges turn up on a statement that I haven't made myself.

About 15 years ago I did have a credit card company call me to ask if I'd been in Yugoslavia buying baseball cards. After I stopped laughing I told them "nope" and that was the end of it.

latintopxxx
September 14th, 2008, 01:07
chao na....credit cards...25 years...in Thailand...no problem...besides scraping dogshot off your shoes there are other uses for a credit card....TWIT...

TrongpaiExpat
September 14th, 2008, 13:28
You can't buy soap here for love nor money. Only that shower gel stuff. I've stopped washing on principle.

Can't buy soap? I bet you stink to high hell. farang men mar mar

Lunchtime O'Booze
September 14th, 2008, 13:34

You may be right. They weren't even very keen to allow me to put money into my account. Kept asking where I'd got it. Honestly, do I look like a criminal?

well that hunk looks a bit like the gorgeous Russian I encountered on a baht bus once..and the only incident I've ever had on one.

He had a small Thai looking boy on his lap and 3 Australian blokes got on and start sniggering towards him about "poofs" & "pedos" etc. He stood up and just knocked one out completely cold and then got off the bus with his Thai wife and young son !!

September 14th, 2008, 13:48
He had a small Thai looking boy on his lapIf people can't afford to employ a nanny they shouldn't be allowed to have children