PDA

View Full Version : Lonely looking Italian restaurant worth a try

lonelywombat
September 8th, 2008, 15:35
I had been bitching about the coffee I had been served in Pattaya when I saw a sign for Lavazza the brand my local cafe at home serves. The Italian restaurant just near Thais for Life seems to never have any customers, but I needed a good caffiene
fix

I ended having an early dinner as the rain started as I got there The chef is really Italian and the menu was surprising in choices. I asked the chef to select for me. He also offered a chilled imported rose which was also most pleasant All I had wanted was a mains plus a good long black. [ not what some call american coffee]
I was impressed enough to let him select one of his deserts and another glass.

It was my last night and I had a few people to have a final drink with, so left quicker than I normally would

There are 4 special menus on the board out the front. I lost the paper with the dishes I had and the cost of the specials

A fraction dearer than the local restaurants but worth a try. I enjoyed it and will dine there again next trip for sure.

September 8th, 2008, 16:10
All I had wanted was a mains plus a good long black.Up in Chao Na's neck of the woods (off Sukhumvit) there are quite a few Africans if you like that sort of thing, lonelywombat

Dodger
September 8th, 2008, 16:51
lonelywombat wrote:

He also offered a chilled imported rose.

I've been trying to get my hands on a good "rose" that's not imported...any ideas???

lonelywombat
September 8th, 2008, 17:45
All I had wanted was a mains plus a good long black.Up in Chao Na's neck of the woods (off Sukhumvit) there are quite a few Africans if you like that sort of thing, lonelywombat

One of my favorite lines is I like my coffee like I have my men---long and black

I tried to forestall your obvious comment and hijacking the thread

catawampuscat
September 8th, 2008, 18:11
I have enjoyed this same Italian restaurant, very close to Thais4Life bookstore and
All Boys, if a boy bar reference makes it location clearer.
The lasagne special is a treat and you have a choice of two starters, both excellent,
and the meal was reasonably priced.
We will have to try the coffee next time.

By the way , their business seems to have picked up some and last time I ate there it
was fairly full. Sorry, but I cannot recall the name of the restaurant. There is an
Italian chef and the chief waitress is his wife and speaks English well. Friendly place
and tasty food.. :cat:

Marsilius
September 8th, 2008, 18:50
I also ate there once- quite a while ago - and can vouch for the quality.

The worst Italian restaurant in Pattaya, by the way, must be the small one on Second Road somewhere alongside El Toro (i.e. acoss the road from the Royal Garden centre). The lasagne I ate (or, rather, did not eat) there was pure slop.

September 8th, 2008, 23:26
I live in Dusit District, not Sukhumvit.

September 9th, 2008, 04:11
Slightly off topic, but one of the best places for a good coffee is Oscars in Boyztown.

Narakmak
September 9th, 2008, 04:38
I agree its a good place, good value. Excellent espresso. Pretty good risotto, pretty good lasagna. I don't recommend the pasta with pesto (kind of a boring version). For desert the panacotta with chocolate is nice.

neddy3
September 9th, 2008, 07:15
The restaurant described in the original post (close to Thais4Life bookshop) is named Volterra.

An Italian chef working the kitchen, together with his Thai wife running the front-of-house.

Good food at reasonable prices, is my recommendation after eating there a number of times.

September 9th, 2008, 07:51
Ditto - the food there at Volterra is very good - ate there several times also.

andrewcraig
September 9th, 2008, 18:08
The restaurant described in the original post (close to Thais4Life bookshop) is named Volterra.

An Italian chef working the kitchen, together with his Thai wife running the front-of-house.

Good food at reasonable prices, is my recommendation after eating there a number of times.

Originally I went to a restaurant next soi behind Flamingo. I like breaded veal/chicken sometimes pork.I was disappointed.

I went to Volterra to try scnitzel napoli which I eat all the time at home.

I do not like salad. Hate american sauces . Was served salad with Italian dressing. Great meal

First time I have cleared my plate in Thailand

Chef picked my sweet, biscuits with a fruit dip. number 4 on the menu Yum,yum

Lasagne at lunch is perfect but I had it with too much red wine

Have to sort out my bar scene with my dining.

Love to go again but have to control my food intake and my wine. Top Restaurant

September 10th, 2008, 03:31

I went to Volterra after a recommendation to a restaurant next soi past Flamingo. I like breaded veal/chicken sometimes pork.

I was disappointed

I ordered Volterra scnitzel napoli which I eat all the time at home. Disaster, not like home

I do not like salad. Hate american sauces . Was served salad with Italian dressing. I liked it. Amazed!!!

First time I have cleared my plate in Thailand

Chef picked my sweet, biscuits with a fruit dip. number 4 on the menu Yum,yum

Lasagne is perfect but I had it early and with red wine I am stuffed for the night.

Have to sort out my bar scene with my dining.

Love to go again but have to control my food intake and my wine. Top Restaurant

When I'm looking to get stuffed for the night, a restaurant is not the most obvious choice.

:cheers:

Diec
September 10th, 2008, 04:50
When I'm looking to get stuffed for the night, a restaurant is not the most obvious choice.

:cheers:[/quote]

Ha Ha Ha Scotishguy...you are so funny that I laughed so hard, fell off my chair, and broke my hip. You don't go to a restaurant to get "stuffed." That is some funny funny stuff!!

September 10th, 2008, 13:17
It's a very good restaurant that deserves more traffic than it seems to get.

The menu is Tuscan -- so there are some interesting dishes one doesn't usually find. Not just the usual spaghetti bolongaise.

Prices are good.

Try it.

September 10th, 2008, 14:32

:cheers:

Ha Ha Ha Scotishguy...you are so funny that I laughed so hard, fell off my chair, and broke my hip. You don't go to a restaurant to get "stuffed." That is some funny funny stuff!![/quote]

Oh Dear!
That'll be yet ANOTHER board member with a hip replacement.
Get Well Soon!

:geek: