PDA

View Full Version : Pictures of Nong Khai

ceejay
September 7th, 2008, 23:40
For anyone who is interested I have just finished (only took me since November ) uploading an album of pics of Nong Khai to Flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29191185@N ... 475971077/ (http://www.flickr.com/photos/29191185@N08/sets/72157606475971077/)

To avoid disappointment - I'm afraid there's no eye candy in them :cheese:

bing
September 8th, 2008, 00:00
The pictures are great. I liked the one of the family sitting by the river. All I could think of, I hope they brought some bug spray. I get eaten alive just sitting at Jomtien.. He He.

September 8th, 2008, 00:33
Lovely pics. well done!

bao-bao
September 8th, 2008, 06:50
Nice pictures, ceejay - thanks for taking the time to upload and caption them. I certainly can appreciate how long it takes to do that many images!

PS beautiful sunset, too!

September 8th, 2008, 07:24
Enzyte Berkeley Enzyte 30tablets This once-a-day tablet offers natural ... Find, Compare, Read Reviews

September 8th, 2008, 19:46
Enzyte Berkeley Enzyte 30tablets This once-a-day tablet offers natural ... Find, Compare, Read Reviews

What has this got to do with Nong Khai?

Shouldn't be in this forum

TOQ
September 8th, 2008, 20:28
What has this got to do with Nong Khai?

Shouldn't be in this forum[/quote]

Its called Spam

john

TrongpaiExpat
September 8th, 2008, 20:47
"14 October 2008 Naga Festival

Bang Fai Phaya Naga is said to be a natural phenomenon. Fireballs can be seen rising up from the Maekhong River on the night at the end of the Buddhist Lent. Many people come to Nongkhai every year, hotels are booked out a long time in advance, and traffic that evening is like Bangkok at rush hour. There is also a friendship boat race between Thailand and Laos during this time."
www.thai-experience.org/festival-calendar.html (http://www.thai-experience.org/festival-calendar.html)

Should read:
Fireballs can sometimes be seen. I did not see anything last year! Party went on balls or no balls!

If anyone is going, you can stay in Udon Thani, plenty of rooms there and drive to Phon Phisai, about 3 hours. When it was over, they made both lanes on rt 212 one way to Udon so the traffic moved.

ceejay
September 9th, 2008, 11:08
Thanks, Bing, Oogleman and Bao Bao for your kind words.

Bing - you're right about the mozzies. I hadn't put any insect repellent on - I hadn't had any trouble with mozzies at all in Nong Khai, possibly because the river is behind an embankment in the centre of Nong Khai, and the drains in town are pretty well maintained, so there is not much standing water. Not so in Pon Phisi, where huge clouds of the little buggers appeared as soon as night fell - and they bit! I had a pair of joggers (sweatpants) with me so I put these on over my shorts. It wasn't until I was on the way home I realised I had them on inside out - what everyone thought of this mad farang wearing his trousers inside out, with the pocket linings flapping in the breeze, I dread to think. :blackeye:

As an aside - I did take anti malarials while I was in the Nong Khai area. If you look at a malaria map of the area it has Laos as a hazard area and Thailand as "safe" - with the line running down the border between the two countries, the border here being the Mekong itself. Since it was not clear to me how something with a brain (literally) the size of a mosquito's could tell the difference between one side of the river and the other I thought I'd err on the side of caution.

Bao Bao - I'm flattered. I think your photo album is one of the best things on this forum - I'm glad you enjoyed mine.

I really do recommend a visit to the Phaya Naga (the spelling of which I have corrected in my album - thanks Trongpai Expat) it is a very special experience.

The Pantawee Hotel's website has an interesting page on the festival:

http://thailand.pantawee.com/pajanaga.php

The Pantawee is where I stayed - but it's probably already too late to book one of the few Nong Khai hotels for this years festivals. They also tend to charge a lot more (like double!) for the 3 days or so around the festival, so Trongpai Expat's suggestion to stay in Udon Thani is a good one.