PDA

View Full Version : Getting to Ko Samui

March 14th, 2006, 08:04
:dontknow:

Any member ever use Bangkok Air to go from U Tapoa to Ko Samui? A good way to go? It is a 1 hour flight.

Can one buy tickets in Pattaya a couple of days prior to the flight?

Would going by bus or car a better choice?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Davey612
March 14th, 2006, 11:55
If you have to go to Ko Samui from Pattaya, then Bangkok Air's Utapao - Samui is the only way to go. The most expensive part of the deal is the domestic departure tax from Ko Samui, which is almost the same as the international departure tax.

The alternative, that is, bus/train to Suratthani to catch the ferry, is cheaper. However, that means you have to backtrack to Bangkok.

I used the Utapao airport a couple of years ago to go to Phuket. It is about 40 minutes from Pattaya. So, not actually that close. But beats the hell better than going to Don Muan. At that time, I had to change planes in Ko Samui. It is a quaint little, open air, airport. Nice facilities. I read, though, that it is being expanded.

Oh, I am sure you can buy Bangkok Air's tickets in Pattaya. If you really want to save a little bit more, you can buy the Bangkok air's coupon outside Thailand. It cost $50 per domestic flight.

lonelywombat
March 14th, 2006, 12:26
I have flown in/out of U Tapau 5 times in the last 15 months

It is a great trip and I booked my tickets on the website your trip 2250baht

From Pattaya a taxi to the airport is about 750 baht but the bus very inexpensive

The route is down Beach Road to South Road, turn right and to Jomtien Beach road, along the Beach Road then turns off through Sattahip

I am sure the travel agency corner of South and Second Road, is a scheduled stop.

Where are you staying in Koh Samui

www.bangkokair.com (http://www.bangkokair.com)

March 14th, 2006, 17:36
Many thanks for the great information and tips.

I am staying at the Rocky Resort. I wanted a place a little out of the way and on the beach. A romantic change of pace from Pattaya.

https://www.rockyresort.com/

manfarang-old
March 15th, 2006, 04:47
My boyfriend and I flew Bangkok Airways to Phuket via Samui from U Tapao. It wasn't a very large plane, and BF was quite nervous the entire flight, remembering a rather rough return flight that we had from Siem Reap on a similar small Bangkok Airways flight. (He would hate the even smaller plane I have to take from Washington, DC to JFK.) I thought the flight from U Tapao was perfectly fine and wouldn't consider any other way of traveling from Pattaya to Samui.

paulg
March 15th, 2006, 05:35
I assume you will taxi to the airport, make sure you book your return taxi trip before you leave

There are never enough taxis at U Tapoa, a taxi will have you home before the bus leaves the airport

It rained every day I was there and that kept me from doing one thing I had planned to do in advance

hiring a car and drive around the island.

There are some fabulous beaches. Amsterdam is the only thing I would go into Chaweng for

March 19th, 2006, 03:02
U-Tapoa is the way to go. You don't have to worry about getting caught in traffic and missing the flight.

I would recomend booking your Bangkok Air flight more than a few days in advance as you can change the time or date for no charge. My eighty seat flight was full.

Just a quick call on the mobile to Mim at NS Travel and she was able to change my return flight from Samui on one occasion and return flight from Phuket on another.

Samui airport is easly my favorite airport in the world. Nothing comes close.