PDA

View Full Version : Weird and wonderful

PeterUK
September 6th, 2008, 10:54
There's an amusing little article in today's Bangkok Post on a recent poll to find the oddest book title of the past thirty years; the rules say that the book has to be serious and not a spoof. The winner was 'Greek Rural Postmen and Their Cancellation Numbers', published in 1994. The Greek connection, and the undoubted weirdness, make me wonder whether this is the work of our very own Henry Cate, a well-known screwball and modestly self-proclaimed philhellene. The article says that the 'co-author' is a Mr Willan, aged 91, who, on hearing he'd won, told the BBC that the title 'purely describes what's in the book.' Mr Willan certainly sounds crusty, bewildered and humourless enough to be a pal of our Henry. Come on now, Henry, own up, you were the other co-author, weren't you?

The runner-up in the contest was 'People Who Don't Know They're Dead'. Hmm, sorry, but that's a mistake, it's a wonderful title and any author worth his salt would be proud to come up with that one. Third prize went to 'How to Avoid Huge Ships'. Among former winners of the prize is my personal favourite, 'Proceedings of the Second International Workshop on Nude Mice'; another winner was 'How Green Were the Nazis'.

September 6th, 2008, 11:26
Sometime we all just need to decompress.

Oh Henry Cate, I love you. I might even love Chao Na but won't admit it.

September 6th, 2008, 14:41
It's not nice to read an opening post that is little more than a personal attack decorated with a reference to some inconsequential non-news item.

Our 'enry may jump to the wrong conclusions too often, too quickly but at least he's not a crashing bore.

September 6th, 2008, 14:53
Our 'enry may jump to the wrong conclusions too often, too quickly but at least he's not a crashing bore.Is this a poll topic?

September 7th, 2008, 06:12
Sometime we all just need to decompress.

Oh Henry Cate, I love you. I might even love Chao Na but won't admit it.

Oh Jeezus, I must have been really drunk last night. :drunken:

Like waking up the next morning and seeing the ugly tranny you brought home from the bar the night before.....

PeterUK
September 7th, 2008, 13:26
Well, I must say I'm very disappointed that Henry has not stepped forward to acknowledge his co-authorship of 'Greek Rural Postmen and Their Cancellation Numbers'. Disappointed, but not surprised. Modesty is his middle name, after all (Henry Modesty Cate, an odd choice by odd parents). I particularly wanted to ask him how his latest book is going. I believe it's provisionally entitled 'Falling In Love With Heavenly Bodies'. My Chiang Mai spies report that he is regularly to be seen of an early evening, wending his way up the slopes of Doi Suthep with his telescope in hand - the diligent researcher hard at it. Keep it up, Henry!

September 7th, 2008, 13:40
My Chiang Mai spies report that he is regularly to be seen of an early evening, wending his way up the slopes of Doi Suthep with his telescope in hand - the diligent researcher hard at it.He certainly keeps odd hours for someone who asserts he's based in Chiang Mai. All his postings seem to be about 4am, Thailand time. I guess he's up then preparing the food to give to the monks

September 7th, 2008, 14:48
My Chiang Mai spies report that he is regularly to be seen of an early evening, wending his way up the slopes of Doi Suthep with his telescope in hand - the diligent researcher hard at it.He certainly keeps odd hours for someone who asserts he's based in Chiang Mai. All his postings seem to be about 4am, Thailand time. I guess he's up then preparing the food to give to the monks

At 4AM he gets released by the Buffalo Katoey gang who have told him what to write having "drained his engine oil" ;}.

September 7th, 2008, 15:17
He certainly keeps odd hours for someone who asserts he's based in Chiang Mai. All his postings seem to be about 4am, Thailand time.

An observation that only those with the time on their hands to waste and do nothing better, as well as a constant need to delve into the lives of others, as a result of knowing them to be of far more interest than their own has ever been, would even notice such facts as the times in which other members here post.

In your case Hommie, it comes as no surprise to me whatsoever, for you to give evidence that you are such a person, I would have expected nothing else of you. http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk216/ThaiRakThai/2003_rolling_eyes_backwards.gif

George.

September 7th, 2008, 15:44
In your case Hommie, it comes as no surprise to me whatsoever, for you to give evidence that you are such a person, I would have expected nothing else of youIndeed - and you are one of my favourites as you know, George. Now then, where's my little list?
* a Buddhist carnivore who can't explain the Four Noble Truths
* a smoker - and that may explain the next item
* a cancer sufferer (testicular - George's Very Big Balls)
* a pimp for a short time
* suffers from delusions of possessing a sense of humour but ...
* writes interminably dreary po-faced posts ticking people off
* doesn't comprehend economics

Marsilius
September 7th, 2008, 18:43
A full list of Diagram Prize winners since 1978 (which was this thread's original subject matter) may be found at the Wikipedia entry "Bookseller/Diagram Prize for Oddest Title of the Year". I particularly enjoyed discovering that in 1997 the prize was awarded to "The Joy of Sex (the pocket edition)"...

September 7th, 2008, 21:26
There's an amusing little article in today's Bangkok Post on a recent poll to find the oddest book title of the past thirty years; the rules say that the book has to be serious and not a spoof. The winner was 'Greek Rural Postmen and Their Cancellation Numbers', published in 1994. The Greek connection, and the undoubted weirdness, make me wonder whether this is the work of our very own Henry Cate, a well-known screwball and modestly self-proclaimed philhellene. The article says that the 'co-author' is a Mr Willan, aged 91, who, on hearing he'd won, told the BBC that the title 'purely describes what's in the book.' Mr Willan certainly sounds crusty, bewildered and humourless enough to be a pal of our Henry. Come on now, Henry, own up, you were the other co-author, weren't you?

The runner-up in the contest was 'People Who Don't Know They're Dead'. Hmm, sorry, but that's a mistake, it's a wonderful title and any author worth his salt would be proud to come up with that one. Third prize went to 'How to Avoid Huge Ships'. Among former winners of the prize is my personal favourite, 'Proceedings of the Second International Workshop on Nude Mice'; another winner was 'How Green Were the Nazis'.

Well, Petie, I hate to have to deny it, but I had nothing to do with the book on Greek Rural Postmen. In fact, I think you made the whole thing up just to let some nasty venom out of your system.

In fact, though, I have written some books, the latest one of which can be found here:

http://www.amazon.com/Carousing-Gazelles-Homoerotic-Songs-Baghdad/dp/0595376916/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1204205376&sr=8-1

Have a look and see if it strikes you as "crusty, bewildered, and humorless."

SGT members in Thailand: THIS IS NOT AN ADVERTISEMENT FOR A BOOK. If you would like to have a copy, just drop me a PM with a mailing address and I'll mail you a cheap photocopy for free.

By the way, in case anyone hasn't figured this out, Petie is fuming mad because I criticized his writing.

PeterUK
September 8th, 2008, 01:33
By the way, in case anyone hasn't figured this out, Petie is fuming mad because I criticized his writing.

True enough. Malicious criticism of anything about me does depress and anger me, though not usually for very long. Then I consign it to the dustbin where it belongs. Criticism offered in a spirit of goodwill, on the other hand, from people I respect, is always acceptable and I will attempt to learn from it if, after reflection, I agree with it.

September 8th, 2008, 20:44

True enough. Malicious criticism of anything about me does depress and anger me, though not usually for very long. Then I consign it to the dustbin where it belongs. Criticism offered in a spirit of goodwill, on the other hand, from people I respect, is always acceptable and I will attempt to learn from it if, after reflection, I agree with it.

This sounds like a citation from I Learned Everything I Need to Know in Kindergarten. "Constructive criticism, only, my chickadees!"

Well, Peter, if you ever do get published, you'll learn how silly this thinking is. Criticism of all sorts will sail in from all quarters, some of it totally unexpected. If you do ever write the Great Gay Thailand Novel (by the way, check out Gay Boy Thailand for one which is currently on hold), you may be astonished to learn that some people refer to Your Work as "that faggot trash." Others will refer to you as a sex tourist, or a dirty old man, and you basically have to learn to read what seems helpful and then continue with your life as planned before these rude interruptions.

Well, back to cooking Vindaloo Curry! :-)