PDA

View Full Version : Tips 2008

September 6th, 2008, 03:14
Time for a poll on Thai rent boy tips.

dab69
September 6th, 2008, 04:10
my vote doesn't cover the first night in Bangkok.
I am always WAY too happy to be there when I arrive.

I have noticed as the vacation progresses, I also tip the
driver BKK?ptty WAY more than the return PTTY?BKK at the end.

September 6th, 2008, 09:16
it sad to note that more than 50% prefer to pay less than 1300 Bhat. Shame on us guys. No wonder those people still remain poor even after removing all their colths in front of us. It is only 40 Dollars in your part of the world. Can u get what you get there for that amount in our part of the world. You may pay 40 Dollars just to kiss their hands?

September 6th, 2008, 09:20
it sad to note that more than 50% prefer to pay less than 1300 Bhat. Shame on us guys. No wonder those people still remain poor even after removing all their colths in front of us. It is only 40 Dollars in your part of the world. Can u get what you get there for that amount in our part of the world. You may pay 40 Dollars just to kiss their hands?Utterly irrelevant. Do you pay US Big Mac prices when you are in another country?

September 6th, 2008, 09:25
My point is that, you must pay what it is worth. You willing to pay the higher airfare to get there, willing to pay the increased hotel bill and the rest, but when it comes to the boys you ultimate deream of coming to Thailand, want to cut corners and pay him less. Come-on guys .... get real and become more humane

September 6th, 2008, 09:42
My point is that, you must pay what it is worth. You willing to pay the higher airfare to get there, willing to pay the increased hotel bill and the rest, but when it comes to the boys you ultimate deream of coming to Thailand, want to cut corners and pay him less. Come-on guys .... get real and become more humaneHigher airfare than what? Staying at home? Increased hotel bill?? I think the prices of European and American hotels are considerably higher. You're talking sentimental tosh

September 6th, 2008, 09:45
it sad to note that more than 50% prefer to pay less than 1300 Bhat. Shame on us guys. No wonder those people still remain poor even after removing all their colths in front of us. It is only 40 Dollars in your part of the world. Can u get what you get there for that amount in our part of the world. You may pay 40 Dollars just to kiss their hands?Utterly irrelevant. Do you pay US Big Mac prices when you are in another country?

Utterly irrelevant question where Big Mac's are concerned, as never mind eating them for free, personally I couldn't be enticed even if I was offered payment for doing so, to ever contemplate eating that shit.

George.

Wesley
September 6th, 2008, 09:47
when some say paying more, imY makesit harder of the ones who pay less. Many wish everyone would pay the same then there is not argument. I perfer to pay accorning to the adventure I have with the guy and his character may well mean more than the sex. Sex can be so short at times but a romantic evening now that is another story altogether.

Wes

September 6th, 2008, 09:55
Utterly irrelevant question where Big Mac's are concerned, as never mind eating them for free, personally I couldn't be enticed even if I was offered payment for doing so, to ever contemplate eating that shit.Quite right, George, and they'd have an awful impact on your cancerous testicles, aka. George's Big Balls. I'd have expected that you, as Our Resident Bodhisattva, would be a vegetarian anyway. However, given your total ignorance of things economic (disintermediation, for example), I'm not surprised that you missed the allusion to that well-known indicator of purchasing power parity, the Big Mac Index. So to fill in your day before Chao Na arrives to formalise the Shitsville Concentration Camp arrangements, here's some reading for you -
http://www.economist.com/markets/bigmac/index.cfm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Mac_Index

MARK
September 6th, 2008, 12:49
Tip
The payment of a gratuity for a services rendered.

Wow you guy are good at tipping what do you pay for the services rendered.

Sen Yai
September 6th, 2008, 14:34
Tip
The payment of a gratuity for a services rendered.

Wow you guy are good at tipping what do you pay for the services rendered.

MARK, A little punctuation would make your comment far more intelligible:

Tip: ~ The payment of a gratuity for services rendered.

Wow! You guys are good at tipping. What do you pay for the services rendered?

If you are suggesting that we should pay a service fee in addition to the tip, then I don't think you understand how things work in Thailand. If we paid the boys a fee for sex, then that would be prostitution, which is of course illegal.

So the only money that is handed over is just a tip. A gratuity, a no obligation 'up-to-you' cash-in-hand sum. That way, no laws are broken and everyone is happy!

September 6th, 2008, 14:41
So the only money that is handed over is just a tip. A gratuity, a no obligation 'up-to-you' cash-in-hand sum. That way, no laws are broken and everyone is happy!Sadly many Thai restaurants - the S&P chain is a notorious example - now add a mandatory tip to the bill - the 10% service charge. As it's all in Thai I'm sure most Westerners don't realise it's there, and give the waiter a tip as well. If you read the bill carefully you'll notice two items with "%" next to them - the VAT (7%) and another item with 10%. I got one of the mem'sahibs to translate and he confirmed my suspicions - "service charge". No longer a "no obligation, up to you" amount

September 6th, 2008, 15:26
Tips 2008 same as tips 2000, mostly.

allieb
September 6th, 2008, 16:17
it sad to note that more than 50% prefer to pay less than 1300 Bhat. Shame on us guys. No wonder those people still remain poor even after removing all their colths in front of us. It is only 40 Dollars in your part of the world. Can u get what you get there for that amount in our part of the world. You may pay 40 Dollars just to kiss their hands?

I wish you wouldn't compare Thailand with other countries it has no connection what we would pay for boys in our own country. If we were expected to pay the same, then sex tourism in Thailand would die. Prices of everything tend to be cheaper for us so we tend to overlook the fact that Bangkok is a smokey poluted city and Pattaya is a total shit hole.

Another thing, most of us have a rent boy almost every night of our vacation or keep one on for a while on a daily rate. That represents a big part of a holiday budget. $50 a day for sex X 30 And don't forget all the extras the boys get given from us or con us out of.

September 6th, 2008, 17:11
1 Pay the going rate for the country you are in.

2 1000~1300 is still good money compared with what rent boys might earn doing other work in Thailand.

There are various reasons why I'm lucky enough to be a customer at go go bars, rather than on stage in my underpants.
Mostly luck (place of birth) & a lot of hard work.

Had I spent the last 30 years routinely paying above the going rate for all goods & services, it would be much more difficult to afford these holidays now.

Before the heckling starts, I'd like to make it clear I have a lot of respect for good rent boys & will tip a few hundred extra for above average service.

By the way, if you object to paying a tip of only 1000 baht, do you also refuse to buy Chinese manufactured goods, where the workforce is being paid the equivalent of 20 bht per hour?

Wesley
September 6th, 2008, 17:47
when some say paying more, it makesit it harder for the ones who pay less. Many wish everyone would pay the same then there is no argument. I perfer to pay accorning to the adventure I have with the guy and his character may well mean more than the sex. Sex can be so short at times but a romantic evening now that is another story altogether.

Wes

September 7th, 2008, 00:54
when some say paying more, imY makesit harder of the ones who pay less. Many wish everyone would pay the same then there is not argument. I perfer to pay accorning to the adventure I have with the guy and his character may well mean more than the sex. Sex can be so short at times but a romantic evening now that is another story altogether.

Wes

Wesley, are you aware that there are lunatics out there who say that we should be free to do as we like? (Within the well-known boundaries, of course, which it would be tedious to rehearse.)

"Many wish everyone would pay the same..." The next step would be a Union. No, unions are for workers. We're talking about people who pay workers, so that would be a Price-Fixing Scheme. But, then again, since the employers are not fixing prices sold to consumers, but attempting to control wages, that would, pretty frankly, be a very strange idea coming from a liberal -- colluding with other employers to keep wages down.

But I've heard the same idea voiced by other farang, who ALSO go into a hissy-fit if you don't vote the Democrat party line.

People are so funny! :-)

francois
September 7th, 2008, 01:08

In r├йalit├й, stevekoolguy, those paying 1000 Baht are generous and support the bar boys and the sc├иne. Beaucoup farang, the regulars, often prefer the caf├йs and bistros and often do not off and tip in the go go clubs. The visiteurs are more likely to be the"fr├йquent flyers" and spend and tip until broke.

But yes, no reason not to augment the tip when pleased with the service!!

Fran├зois

Wesley
September 7th, 2008, 02:10
when some say paying more, makes it harder of the ones who pay less. Many wish everyone would pay the same then there is no argument. I perfer to pay accorning to the adventure I have with the guy and his character may well mean more than the sex. Sex can be so short at times but a romantic evening now that is another story altogether.

Wes

Wesley, are you aware that there are lunatics out there who say that we should be free to do as we like? (Within the well-known boundaries, of course, which it would be tedious to rehearse.)

"Many wish everyone would pay the same..." The next step would be a Union. No, unions are for workers. We're talking about people who pay workers, so that would be a Price-Fixing Scheme. But, then again, since the employers are not fixing prices sold to consumers, but attempting to control wages, that would, pretty frankly, be a very strange idea coming from a liberal -- colluding with other employers to keep wages down.

But I've heard the same idea voiced by other farang, who ALSO go into a hissy-fit if you don't vote the Democrat party line.

Hello Again my friend,

I was alluding to the same people you talked about , as I mentioned I like to pay according to the adventure but never less than the going rate unless it was a complete debacle. I often tip by taking him to a dance bar or show bar or doling more than just going home with him. Or if he is hungry take him to eat if it is early enough to do that. Then take him to breakfast unless they are out the door afterwards. Usually I leave that up to them if they stay and then eat breakfast. Some do not care for the farang Breakfast and prefer one of the street venders. My stomach after so many years on Kyrgyzstan where things are much less western I stay away from food I am not sure of. I have never been as sick as I was last year with food poisoning and having it two years in a row. But on topic, yes I agree, pay them well take care of them as you would a friend. I have found I get treated the way I treat people, unless we are talking about Homiturd. Then I may not be so kind. Other wise I would treat a person the way I would like to be treated. In general I am a liberal, but I just for some reason don't trust Obama. Its persoanl. He talks like slick used car salesman. A lot of noise but no meat.

jolyjacktar
September 7th, 2008, 06:42
They get what they are given, up to you mister

September 7th, 2008, 23:25
when some say paying more, makes it harder of the ones who pay less. Many wish everyone would pay the same then there is no argument. I perfer to pay accorning to the adventure I have with the guy and his character may well mean more than the sex. Sex can be so short at times but a romantic evening now that is another story altogether.

Wes

Hello Again my friend,

I was alluding to the same people you talked about , as I mentioned I like to pay according to the adventure but never less than the going rate unless it was a complete debacle. I often tip by taking him to a dance bar or show bar or doling more than just going home with him. Or if he is hungry take him to eat if it is early enough to do that. Then take him to breakfast unless they are out the door afterwards. Usually I leave that up to them if they stay and then eat breakfast. Some do not care for the farang Breakfast and prefer one of the street venders. My stomach after so many years on Kyrgyzstan where things are much less western I stay away from food I am not sure of. I have never been as sick as I was last year with food poisoning and having it two years in a row. But on topic, yes I agree, pay them well take care of them as you would a friend. I have found I get treated the way I treat people, unless we are talking about Homiturd. Then I may not be so kind. Other wise I would treat a person the way I would like to be treated. In general I am a liberal, but I just for some reason don't trust Obama. Its persoanl. He talks like slick used car salesman. A lot of noise but no meat.

Hello again, Wesley,

Yes, I should have been clearer in my posting that I was not alluding to you, but to the general (and completely unworkable) idea that "we farang" should all band together and pay the same price. The people advancing this idea are never thinking 5000 baht, needless to say. They are thinking more like 500 baht, or even 300. And apparently, they never even consider the FACT that they are acting like medieval guildsmen, or 19th-century American robber barons. "A conspiracy to take the food out of the mouths of the working poor!"

If you mention the "free market" to such people, they react like vampires exposed to garlic, or a crucifix.

No, no, no, "the market" should be fixed, in favor of me.

The result of such thinking can be seen right now, in the sub-prime loan disasters, supported by politicians of both parties, and forcing banks to make loans they did not want to make.

September 8th, 2008, 02:30
Should I have run a separate poll for BKK, as the tips are supposed to be higher?

llz
September 8th, 2008, 03:03
The question being What Tip do you pay rent boys on average in Thailand (1~3 hours), I don't think you have to wonder that ... unless of course if for you Thailand comes down to Pattaya and a highway from the airport ...

September 8th, 2008, 04:13
The question being What Tip do you pay rent boys on average in Thailand (1~3 hours), I don't think you have to wonder that ... unless of course if for you Thailand comes down to Pattaya and a highway from the airport ...

Hardly -last time I spent about 25% of the time in Pattaya.

If BKK tips are normally higher, it's good to know so one can pay the going rate & avoid under paying for good service.

September 8th, 2008, 07:36
I like to pay Bt1000 for a 'short time' and have never had a problem from the boy with that. A Bt1000 for a bar boy for a couple of hours work is according to Thai standards very good when you consider he gets only Bt3-4000 from the bar for a months work. I have found that the boys who cannot get away quick enough tend to be happy with that. On the other hand, the boy who takes his time and gives an enjoyable service deserves a bigger tip. Take it as an incentive if you like but I prefer to pay according to service and not a fixed fee as in a restaurant. Why pay 10% service charge regardless of service? I like to think that if I pay extra for better service it will encourage the boy to continue to give that level of service. I'm sure the boys would be very quick to notice that some (most?) are happy to pay over the odds regardless of how they perform. That IMHO would encourage them to try and get away with the minimum effort. No good for the boys, no good for us.

September 8th, 2008, 07:56
I like to pay Bt1000 for a 'short time' and have never had a problem from the boy with that. A Bt1000 for a bar boy for a couple of hours work is according to Thai standards very good when you consider he gets only Bt3-4000 from the bar for a months work.

Most of them get NOTHING from the bar.

latintopxxx
September 8th, 2008, 09:19
Seems like I'm too generous, after the bar fine, drnk for the boy and my usual 'tip" if he performs well I'm usually at least THB3000 poorer.

September 8th, 2008, 09:23
Seems like I'm too generous, after the bar fine, drnk for the boy and my usual 'tip" if he performs well I'm usually at least THB3000 poorer.You're completely crazy to pay those sorts of prices

September 8th, 2008, 09:25
Don't worry...he only gives 50 baht to the ones who don't "perform well", so it averages out.

Wesley
September 8th, 2008, 09:30
I agree, there should be a minimum, but tip as much over as suits you. It is your monmey spend it as your please just be consitant about the minimum

Wes

September 8th, 2008, 10:31
Don't worry...he only gives 50 baht to the ones who don't "perform well", so it averages out.
Nice one Chao Na the best retort I've seem

latintopxxx
September 8th, 2008, 12:06
chao na...funny...
stevekoolguy...for some of us the main attraction is very affordable, willing and capable trade....but been told I pay too much...so confusion reigns..

zinzone
September 8th, 2008, 13:35
This poll is useful, so well done to the OP, and I have cast my vote.

Just curious but would be interesting to know which nationality are the best(and worst), "payers"?
I have heard that Asian customers such as Japanese and Tawainese tend to be very, if not too generous, and give a lot and expect less from the boys.

September 8th, 2008, 20:06
Never paid more than 500 baht, never had a complaint, and often had the same boy want to see me again the next day.

September 8th, 2008, 23:24
Never paid more than 500 baht, never had a complaint, and often had the same boy want to see me again the next day.

Trolling Sanam Luang again, are you?

Anyway, I definitely would not try that in Soi Prostitute -- if you value your life.

September 9th, 2008, 20:09
Trolling Sanam Luang again, are you?

Anyway, I definitely would not try that in Soi Prostitute -- if you value your life.

Try arranging to meet for a meal and a movie later in the week when your new friend is free. It has never failed for me.
I always explain what I expect and we agree on the 500 baht before going off. Never a problem, rarely a refusal, and often a repeat if you both want to.

dorayme
September 14th, 2008, 11:48
There is certainly no reason to overpay the boys or pay them by Western standards. Most wouldn't make 200 Baht a day planting rice or working at a hard job. 500 Baht is certainly enough adjusted by the care given by the boy. My boyfriend averages 35 Bant an hour for working 12 hours a day, 6 days a week.

September 14th, 2008, 12:01
The market dictates :

Short Time minimum wage = 1000 Baht ; good service 1500 ; exceptional service 1500 + taxi money 300

Over night minimum wage = 1500 Bahat + dinner ; good service 2000 + dinner : exceptional service 2500 + dinner + next day shopping

This is does not apply to street and beach pick-ups ; they are excluded from commenting on this topic, we understand you

September 14th, 2008, 13:56
My boyfriend averages 35 Bant an hour for working 12 hours a day, 6 days a week.Is that flat on his back?

September 19th, 2008, 23:38
Just wondering how much would you pay for an overnight service? Sometimes it is just nice to have someone in bed a bit longer than 3hours

September 19th, 2008, 23:42
My boyfriend averages 35 Bant an hour for working 12 hours a day, 6 days a week.Is that flat on his back?

Flat on his stomach, more likely.

September 20th, 2008, 01:22
Seems to me that an average decent tip for a short trip seems to be in the region, but not less than 1,000 baht.

Don't forget that when your boy leaves you he needs to get a taxi/motorcycle home so add enough for that. Early in the morning no taxi driver is going to change a large note.

Putting it all in perspective, have we all looked at ourselves in the mirror first thing in the morning and wondered what young Thais see attractive? It certainly ain't our looks! So come of guys, pay a decent rate for the servie all these boys provide. We can well afford it and they rely to a great extent on the tips earned and not on their salaries. Don't go over the top and give them ridiculous amounts, but 1,000 or slightly over for extra special attention is an easy sum from all our pockets. Put in their position, would you go with anyone just for the money?

In reply to one poster, boys in Pattaya do, in almost every bar earn a salary, plus a commission, usually 50-100 baht from the off fees depending on how high the fee is, as well as a commission on drinks. I do object to those bars that give smaller drinks to the boys and the customer has to pay the same price as his own larger drink. Time to make a stand against this sharp practice don't you think? I will never buy a boy a drink in ANY bar where the measure is smaller or he is forced to drink what the bosses dictate. If he wants a drink fne, I am willing to buy one, but if he doesn't then I would rather give him a small tip for the pleasure of having him sit with me whilst I make up my mind whether to off or not.

(what has happened to spell check on this board?)

latintopxxx
September 20th, 2008, 01:29
stevekool...whatever....and chao na...watsaname.....get a grip on reality.....like all consumers we want max service for minimum pain...usually results in constant return patronage.

September 20th, 2008, 01:31
stevekool...whatever....and chao na...watsaname.....get a grip on reality.....like all consumers we want max service for minimum pain...usually results in constant return patronage.

Yet often results in a cracked skull. Good luck to you.

francois
September 20th, 2008, 04:09
Seems to me that an average decent tip for a short trip seems to be in the region, but not less than 1,000 baht.

I I do object to those bars that give smaller drinks to the boys and the customer has to pay the same price as his own larger drink. Time to make a stand against this sharp practice don't you think? I will never buy a boy a drink in ANY bar where the measure is smaller or he is forced to drink what the bosses dictate. If he wants a drink fne, I am willing to buy one, but if he doesn't then I would rather give him a small tip for the pleasure of having him sit with me whilst I make up my mind whether to off or not.
)

Never saw a boy forced to buy what the boss dictates. Often the boys don't finish a drink; they take it only because it is a house rule and helps the bar. Maybe they prefer soda to alcohol as a personal preference same as the farang? Yes, I would prefer to be more generous with a tip than a drink but must play by the bar rules, and is is only fair.

September 20th, 2008, 05:52
Tips 2008 same as tips 2000, mostly.

same as 1990 although you got a lot less baht for your money in those days

September 20th, 2008, 06:02
If you have a "THAI b/f or b/s" and pay them a daily allowance but only (due to your aged requirement) suck him off once a week do you put down the daily rate or weekly rate?

September 20th, 2008, 06:24
... but only (due to your aged requirement) suck him off once a week ...Because the dentures only come out once a week?

September 20th, 2008, 07:16
... but only (due to your aged requirement) suck him off once a week ...Because the dentures only come out once a week?
Yes but do they get a soak