PDA

View Full Version : Building collapse in Pattaya

September 4th, 2008, 19:03
There is a piece of breaking news on the Nation website:
"A building of five-star hotel in Pattaya which is under construction collapsed on Thursday morning, injuring many workers"

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2008/09/04/p1news/images/30082592-01.jpg

The Nation (http://www.nationmultimedia.com/)

Anyone have any more information?

globalwanderer
September 4th, 2008, 19:08
Pattaya One News has the following...

Just after 10.30 on Thursday Morning, Police were called to a construction site of a new 5 Star Hotel in Soi 6 off the Pratamnak Road in South Pattaya, following reports of a partial collapse of the construction. Rescue Unit rushed to the scene following initial reports that persons were trapped within the wreckage and fatalities may have occurred. The Site manager quickly confirmed that everyone had been accounted for and 5 people were injured including a local journalist who hit a pole as he rushed around the site to get the first pictures of the collapse. Khun Prachar, the Governor of Chonburi also rushed to the scene fearing that fatalities had occurred. The construction is thought to be a Hotel with underground car park and according to Investigators; cement was being laid on the second floor when the collapse took place. Further investigations are now taking place and for now Police have ordered the construction site to be closed until a full safety review is undertaken

thrillbill
September 4th, 2008, 22:40
...always amusing (and sad) how the news crew can arrive to the tragedies in Pattaya before the medics(???) or ambulance.

Jetsam
September 4th, 2008, 23:52
at least it's really breaking news

giggsy
September 5th, 2008, 02:52
what was the polish man doing there? was he a construction worker? and why did the journalist hit him?

Lunchtime O'Booze
September 5th, 2008, 10:25
look this can happen in the best of cities.

I was in New York 30 years ago and walking down Avenue B when , with a great rumbling sound, a 10 story hotel collapsed into the subway.

It was all most dramatic and even worse-I had just walked out of a cinema having seen the first Superman film so I fully expected the caped wonder to arrrive at any moment.

No one was even hurt-as apparently the building had been rumbling all morning and as the residents-mostly welfare recipients all seemed to have cats-their cats had fled during the morning and the residents sensibly followed them. A hundred years of the rattling subway beneath had weakened the foundations.

Mind you-as I say it was 100 years old..in Pattaya I wouldn't be surprised if a new building fell down. :faroah: