PDA

View Full Version : Would you like to learn Thai?

September 3rd, 2008, 22:33
http://www.amazon.com/Thai-Understand-Pimsleur-Language-Comprehensive/dp/0743544927/ref=cm_cr-mr-title

September 4th, 2008, 01:18
No, all my thai friends are well-educated and speak fluent English. I have no desire to mingle with the lower class Thais anyway.

joe552
September 4th, 2008, 03:05
For that kind of money I'd expect my own very cute teacher!

dab69
September 4th, 2008, 06:28
how much for a copy @ Panthip?

Smiles
September 4th, 2008, 06:38
For that kind of money I'd expect my own very cute teacher!
You can get that ... and for much less. One-on-one teaching, combined with every-day immersion in Thailand (and trying your best), combined with a helpful in-house partner is the best way.
Audio CD's (et al) are quite often a complete waste of money and time.

But number one is 'desire'. I have a friend in Pattaya who is taking one-on-one Thai lessons ~ and has for a long time now ~ who told me he started to get very depressed in the beggining about his self-perceived lack of progress. Yet he kept it up diligently, and magically (and gradually) began to "get it". It was only at that pivotal point (i.e. after very hard work) that he began the gratifying journey towards being able to speak, read, and understand Thai language.
I envy him for his lack of laziness ... unlike myself.

Cheers ...

September 4th, 2008, 07:07
It was only at that pivotal point (i.e. after very hard work) that he began the gratifying journey towards being able to speak, read, and understand Thai language"Gratifying"? If a Thai is able to discuss the Uncertainty Principle, Chaos theory and other intellectual diversions then he'll be fluent in English, making any need to learn more than rudimentary Thai completely superfluous

Smiles
September 4th, 2008, 08:39
" ... "Gratifying"? If a Thai is able to discuss the Uncertainty Principle, Chaos theory and other intellectual diversions then he'll be fluent in English, making any need to learn more than rudimentary Thai completely superfluous ... "
How can he talk (even if he wanted to) with you sitting on his face?

Cheers ...

September 4th, 2008, 08:41
How can he talk (even if he wanted to) with you sitting on his face?He can say my weight

Bob
September 4th, 2008, 09:15
How can he talk (even if he wanted to) with you sitting on his face?He can say my weight

In kilotons?

September 4th, 2008, 10:08
In kilotons?Klingons

September 4th, 2008, 13:02
" ... "Gratifying"? If a Thai is able to discuss the Uncertainty Principle, Chaos theory and other intellectual diversions then he'll be fluent in English, making any need to learn more than rudimentary Thai completely superfluous ... "

Cheers ...

Talk? I would imagine being able to breathe would be his first concern. :angel9:

George.

September 4th, 2008, 13:04
Talk? I would imagine being able to breathe would be his first concern.I fart in his mouth

September 4th, 2008, 16:30
I fart in his mouth

followed by shitting in his mouth

September 4th, 2008, 18:09
If a Thai is able to discuss the Uncertainty Principle, Chaos theory

Thais don't need to discuss these theories. They are faced with practical examples more often than most and come out smiling ... because by your theories they are very, very afraid.

September 5th, 2008, 04:03
If a Thai is able to discuss the Uncertainty Principle, Chaos theory Thais don't need to discuss these theories. They are faced with practical examples more often than most and come out smiling ... because by your theories they are very, very afraid.Oh dear, someone else who thinks the Thais smile because they have a "no worries" attitude

dab69
September 5th, 2008, 05:16

Cheers ...

Talk? I would imagine being able to breathe would be his first concern. :angel9:

George.

i am sure at that point they are praying for a swift death

September 5th, 2008, 05:25
i am sure at that point they are praying for a swift deathAt that point they'll be grateful that George is not the object of their affection. It was only last week that he was confiding in us the problems he's having with testicular cancer - touchingly described as "I have Very Big Balls". Imagine getting one (or both) of those in your mouth!

September 7th, 2008, 00:38
The original post contained (ONLY) the header "Would you like to learn Thai?" and the total posting was just a URL.

The answer from the group of respondents was, apparently, "No. We would not like to learn Thai."

There were a few postings about Chaos theory, and modern physics, and how no Thai person could possibly discuss any of them. But in those postings, there was an unspoken assumption that the actual discussion would take place in English.

That is to say, on the very unlikely chance that these posters happened across some Thai who could actually discuss these ideas in Thai, they would be left staring in total incomprehension.

I say "very unlikely" because I think that the number of people in the world who genuinely understand Chaos theory is about 47 -- maybe 470. And that does most emphatically NOT include any of those cheesy posters who pretended vapidly that these are (like) their favorite topics of conversation. Most people who talk about such topics get it all wrong, anyway, because they are relying on the work of popularizers.

But still, the main point remains -- "I refuse to learn any Thai at all, BUT I expect your English to be at the college-graduate level, even if you happen to be a farmboy from Isaan."

I have actually seen gay farangs yammering on for HOURS with their "Thai boyfriends" about "relationship issues" --- all of it in rapid American gay slang, which these jackasses somehow thought was an international language.

I would suggest that there are two possible goals here which are very different. The first goal is the attempt to actually communicate with another human being, while the second goal is to make oneself appear the winner.

I have said before, and will doubtless say again, that I find Thai to be one of the most fascinating languages in the world. I know a little bit about linguistics, and can (or could) speak French, Arabic, and Persian. And the desire to avoid learning Thai is just intellectual laziness.

โชคดีนะครับ

giggsy
September 7th, 2008, 04:50
giggsy wrote:
i think the one in the blue top is cuter

henry cate wrote
Are you doing this for money?

giggsy replies
" are YOU doing this for money"?

September 7th, 2008, 04:59
For visiting Thailand for up to 2 weeks a year, I do not want to learn Thai -or more accurately, learning other languages is more of a priority.

Were I to settle there, I'd certainly want to learn the language.

September 7th, 2008, 19:08
I know a little bit about linguistics, and can (or could) speak French, Arabic, and Persian.

أحْمَق خدا حاف

September 7th, 2008, 20:58
giggsy wrote:
i think the one in the blue top is cuter

henry cate wrote
Are you doing this for money?

giggsy replies
" are YOU doing this for money"?

I am actually an Internet salesman paid an enormous salary by Simon & Schuster. And now you have cleverly blown my cover! :-0

Drat!! Tarnation !!