PDA

View Full Version : Farang arrested on lese majeste charges

Hmmm
September 3rd, 2008, 19:23
The tissues are reporting that Australian man Harry Nicolaides has been arrested in Thailand on lese majeste charges. Google didn't take long to find what seems to be the source of this man's troubles - his latest book 'Verisimilitude'. I won't potentially add to his troubles by quoting, but you can read a description here:
http://www.akha.org/content/bookreviews ... itude.html (http://www.akha.org/content/bookreviews/verisimilitude.html)

Sounds a bit like an unexpurgated Handley. The phrase 'red rag to a bull' comes to mind.

September 3rd, 2008, 19:44
I suspect he knew this would happen. And i suspect he knows what will happen next? Deportation & huge sales?

Smiles
September 3rd, 2008, 19:53
I suspect he knew this would happen. And i suspect he knows what will happen next? Deportation & huge sales?
You may have missed an important step Oogleman: " ... 10 years in a Thai prison, THEN deportation & (maybe) huge sales? ... "

Cheers ...

September 3rd, 2008, 20:40
You may have missed an important step Oogleman: " ... 10 years in a Thai prison, THEN deportation & (maybe) huge sales? ... "

Cheers ...

Oh i didn`t miss that. Poor mans desperate gamble? Banking on past cases &/or Aussie govt pressure for quick release?

Hmmm
September 3rd, 2008, 21:11
There may be more to this than meets the eye. I like to think I have some skills in tracking down information. But a short time spent trawling books in print and library sites leaves a question in my mind as to whether this book actually ever really existed (it was supposedly published in 2005) ... except as mentioned on a few web sites where the reviews could conceivably have been written by the 'author' himself (most seem to be unattributed). And that's where some 'quotes' that clearly qualify as lese majeste are printed.

The author has a certain style that suggests 'legend in his own lunchtime' ...
http://www.phuket-info.com/harry/031209-travel11.htm

Now if the Thais have arrested a man for a non-existent book, wouldn't that be fun ? At the very least it looks as if it is impossible to actually buy the book anywhere.

Wesley
September 3rd, 2008, 21:13
You mean he was stupid enough to publish that and stay in Thailand after the publishing of the so called truth, I suspect it is his truth from his point of veiw Kinda like asking Obamma if George Bush was a good president. The incredible part is he was smart enough to write the stuff and then stay in Thaland. If I read the posts corrrectly I assume he is still there.

Wes

Smiles
September 4th, 2008, 06:22
You mean he was stupid enough to publish that and stay in Thailand after the publishing of the so called truth, I suspect it is his truth from his point of veiw Kinda like asking Obamma if George Bush was a good president. The incredible part is he was smart enough to write the stuff and then stay in Thaland. If I read the posts corrrectly I assume he is still there.
Wes
Undoubtedly a member of Sawatdee.

Cheers ..