PDA

View Full Version : University Students working the Bars

September 3rd, 2008, 10:45
Lets us discuss and share our experiences. Are these guys really gays or working the bars to work their way up? I have met lots of these guys at the bars and heard from them first hand why they are there and what they feel about their work. This is a real social issue. Let us discuss this topic from that angel and bring some intellectual inter-change.

nanette
September 3rd, 2008, 13:19
A cute boy I offed from X-boys once turned out to be a university student, albeit part-time, with classes mostly during the weekends. He was quite a calm boy, and not one of those who constantly remind you to buy them things on offer on the sidewalks. It was the strong feeling about being resposible for oneself and not to be dependent on his parents that brought him to the a go go scenes. Another factor that made him jump to the decision was one of his fellow students at university was doing very well working part-time in the bar, that he could even afford to drive a car. He admitted being ashamed of his job, especially when photos of him appeared in the promotional adverts of the bar. Despite this setback, he's proud that he managed to pay for his own education, living expenses, and even genuine orthodontic treatment, without having to resort to his poor parents. He was planning to quit the bar scenes and work at McDonalds since the takings at the bar during low season was marginally better than at McD. He thought the stigma of working in the bar was too much.

A level-headed university student can be fun to be with, especially when he does'nt have any class the following day, so that he can forget about his worries during the time he's with you.

September 3rd, 2008, 13:29
A number of bar boys "study" at Ramkangheng University and may even get degrees in the end. Some of the more canny know that Westerners value education and look more favourably on boys who are say they are studying. In the past "young brother money for school" was the second favourite need (after "buffalo, he dead"); "father" (or "mother") "in hospital" has declined in popularity as boys realised that many Westerners had heard about Toxin's generous scheme for 30 baht treatment in public hospitals and would query such a need

September 3rd, 2008, 13:59
I offed a boy from Boys Bangkok more than a week ago and got to know that he's studying at Ramkhamheng University. He's one of the more popular boys working at the bar and for the last 5 months he's been working there, he told me that his monthly income comes to more than bht25,000. He said he's wondering how he's going to stop working at the bar once he graduates next year when monthly income for graduates is only around bht8000 pm. I guess most probably he'll be still working as a bar boy once he graduates.

September 3rd, 2008, 18:30
Your best bet for meeting a university student working the bars is in Chiang Mai. You should also hang out at the coffee shops of the large park near the university. Some really beautiful guys there.

September 3rd, 2008, 19:20
I'd rather see them use the money for education than for 3000bht. jeans and drugs.I do not like it if they are not gay it seems like a fraud but then that goes for all boys

September 3rd, 2008, 20:26
I do not like it if they are not gay it seems like a fraud but then that goes for all boys

I've got some news for you, raig. Just because a boy is "gay" does not mean he relishes sucking your cock any more than a straight one might. Both are doing it solely for the money, so get over it.

Wesley
September 3rd, 2008, 21:50
Dated a guy who was studyign toi be a doctor in the university, only toi disciver after he finished he made only about 200 a month. he was much more willing to be my lover and friend just to get out of the stuggle of living within the means, when the average need to live alone was 400 a month.

September 3rd, 2008, 22:08
Over several years I grew to know a number of boys who worked for Oud at the old Memories Bar that were both gay and college graduates. Even with their college degrees, obvious intelligence and excellent English skills they made much more at the bar than they ever could in the Thai business world. All of the good high paying jobs go to the children of the rich and connected. These Bar Boys working at Memories were seriously looking for real relationships with a Farang. Serveral of these boys are now living in Europe with their lovers.

September 3rd, 2008, 22:22
Dated a guy who was studyign toi be a doctor in the university, only toi disciver after he finished he made only about 200 a month. he was much more willing to be my lover and friend just to get out of the stuggle of living within the means, when the average need to live alone was 400 a month.

Dear Wes, you cannot be talking about 200 baht a month. That would be the princely sum of 6 baht per day!

So I ask, 200 what? If you are dealing with US dollars, that would be about 7600 per month. Doable, but not without pain. My own current college student, Dan The Man, has a room in a rooming house which costs 2300 per month. With air-conditioning etc, (which he tries devoutly not to use), it's probably 3,000 per month. If he were getting 7600 per month, that would leave him 4600 per month for everything else. About 150 baht a day. From that sum, he needs to buy gas for his bike, buy food for himself, try to deal with demands from his family -- not to mention buying clothes and other "little items" such as foam lang na, etc.

In any case, at 7600 per month in Chiang Mai he is not "rich." He has a smaller income than my maid!

And, another thought: my former BF once voiced a wish that I could be just another nice old guy putting some boy through college. Good idea!

But, on the ground here, it appears that you have to "roll your own." That is to say, find someone who hasn't finished high school, and fund him through that. Typically grades 10-11-12. Then suddenly you will have a boyfriend who is a college student.

And you just might feel really good about that. You might even start to think good thoughts about yourself.

It strikes me as much more kind, and productive, than "face-sitting," whatever the hell that might be.

But once again, I have to back off, and realize that this board is the property of crazy Pattaya queens, who think that the major issue involved here is (ha ha) the exploitation of the farang by the Thai!

Can you wrap your brain around that? Can you really understand a group of crazy queens who DECIDED to settle in Pattaya, grew jaded, and held everyone else to their own tawdry standard?

September 3rd, 2008, 22:32
Over several years I grew to know a number of boys who worked for Oud at the old Memories Bar that were both gay and college graduates. Even with their college degrees, obvious intelligence and excellent English skills they made much more at the bar than they ever could in the Thai business world. All of the good high paying jobs go to the children of the rich and connected. These Bar Boys working at Memories were seriously looking for real relationships with a Farang. Serveral of these boys are now living in Europe with their lovers.

This is not true, Soi Tom.

For some years, I have known an extremely diligent man from Isaan who typically works his butt off. When I first met him he was driving an ancient red truck around Chiang Mai.

Nowadays, he has progressed to being a sales manager at a leading life-insurance company. They mostly prey on the incredibly stupid government civil servants.

He finished 9th grade. He knows another man in his company, 28 years old, who is bringing home 300,000 baht per month. Every month.

That man has some 200 employees reporting to him. My guy has only 80, and is looking for more.

NEITHER of them are children of the rich and connected. Both of them happen to be great salesmen.

I am waiting to introduce some guys I know to him. He has a problem with hiring and attrition. So do many sales managers.

My own brother (!) ascended to multi-millionaire status, simply on his sales ability. Alas, I can't do that.

Wesley
September 3rd, 2008, 22:34
No 200 hundred a months USD at that time was 30 at the exchange rate, I tend not to look at things in terms of Baht, I almost automatically convert everything into dollars depending on what the current exchange rate is for the country I am in or talking about. I was indicating how unfair education could be to get people into a decent life in third world countries. Often education is not enough. Although as mentioned by others the value of education in finding a farang who would like to spend time with an educated guy in comparison to some one who may wish to discuss the health of the family buffalo.

Wes

September 3rd, 2008, 22:41
But once again, I have to back off, and realize that this board is the property of crazy Pattaya queens, who think that the major issue involved here is (ha ha) the exploitation of the farang by the Thai!

Can you wrap your brain around that? Can you really understand a group of crazy queens who DECIDED to settle in Pattaya, grew jaded, and held everyone else to their own tawdry standard?

lese majeste!! arrest that man!

Jetsam
September 3rd, 2008, 22:43

LOL :cheers:

thrillbill
September 3rd, 2008, 22:45
I have run into a couple "university students" around the bar scene in Boystown. When I was new here, I believed they were since they could speak good English and had that "college look"-- but after a couple years still running into them, I doubt that they are university students in Pattaya!!! But it is a way to not be embarassed when asked (by me) "what do you do here?" Saying "university student" is better than saying "I am a free lancer."

Wesley
September 3rd, 2008, 23:38

LOL :cheers:

I would think, unless my experience is wrong, that no one,unless you have lived in their shoes; really knows how a guy any guy in Thailand really feels about any of you or me. I think you know what they want you to know and nothing more. You can never really understand their culture or how they think unless you were raised and brought up like they were and with he same difficulties. Only an Elitist would assume he can understand all levels of their culture then give any meaningful explanation of that same culture. No one from London can understand an average American no mattter how much they may digress about their former colonies. Neither can we as expiates expect to understand them or, why they are willing to do the things they do for money or why some will not.

I suspect we don't understand it at all, and to think we do is like an Alice in wonderland story, no one knows really how deep the rabbit hole goes to quote from the movie Matrix.

Wes

Dodger
September 4th, 2008, 05:16
I agree with Soi 10 Tom's remarks about the college boys from Memories who went on to have LTR's with farangs, as I remember these same boys.

I had a fling a few years back with a boy who was attending a university in Uttaradit. He was just completing his second year towards a degree in the Hotel Industry and wanted a relationship with a farang for two reasons: 1) the short term financial support he needed to complete his education, and 2) he admittedly liked older guys and saw a relationship with a farang as a key to open the door to a better quality of life.

This boy (named Edward) could read the English version of the Bangkok post and articulate the differences between the Judeo-Christian religion and Buddhism like a scholar. He also had a wonderful ability to be extremely open and candid about his feelings and aspirations which were two of the personality traits which first attracted me to him.

We met via the internet (Thailandout.com) and compared each others "wish list" before even making first contact. Much like the boys that Soi 10 Tom was referring to, Edward wanted a LTR with a farang for the very same reasons. He had not interest whatsoever to work in a bar during his off-time and used the internet as his primary meeting tool.

Unlike most of my experiences with the "working boys", with Edward, I never once felt like his sex play was a fabricated charade. Frankly, and I know this is going to be hard for some to swallow, but he seemed more horny than I was when it came time to dim the lights. The only problem, on my end anyway (meant literally), was that Edward was a "top". Now, don't get me wrong, I didn't mind having that cute little pony riding me at all, but I just like my turn in the drivers seat once in a while.

Unfortunately, Edward and I walked seperate paths after that holiday, although I'm confident that some lucky farang is enjoying the ride. Edward was a great catch.

The college boys that I've interacted with on the working scene are almost exclusively str8 which is a major turn-off for me...to each his own.

Beachlover
September 4th, 2008, 06:39
[quote="Soi 10 Tom":zjkl26zr]Over several years I grew to know a number of boys who worked for Oud at the old Memories Bar that were both gay and college graduates. Even with their college degrees, obvious intelligence and excellent English skills they made much more at the bar than they ever could in the Thai business world. All of the good high paying jobs go to the children of the rich and connected. These Bar Boys working at Memories were seriously looking for real relationships with a Farang. Serveral of these boys are now living in Europe with their lovers.

This is not true, Soi Tom.

For some years, I have known an extremely diligent man from Isaan who typically works his butt off. When I first met him he was driving an ancient red truck around Chiang Mai.

Nowadays, he has progressed to being a sales manager at a leading life-insurance company. They mostly prey on the incredibly stupid government civil servants.

He finished 9th grade. He knows another man in his company, 28 years old, who is bringing home 300,000 baht per month. Every month.

That man has some 200 employees reporting to him. My guy has only 80, and is looking for more.

NEITHER of them are children of the rich and connected. Both of them happen to be great salesmen.

I am waiting to introduce some guys I know to him. He has a problem with hiring and attrition. So do many sales managers.

My own brother (!) ascended to multi-millionaire status, simply on his sales ability. Alas, I can't do that.[/quote:zjkl26zr]

Too right... sales is the ultimate equaliser... anyone can make millions. For someone without education, it's really one of the best occupations to get into. Top salespeople make much more than "educated" professionals.

September 4th, 2008, 07:05
Too right... sales is the ultimate equaliser... anyone can make millions. For someone without education, it's really one of the best occupations to get into. Top salespeople make much more than "educated" professionals.And sales people are among the most obnoxious you could ever have in your circle of acquaintance

latintopxxx
September 4th, 2008, 08:48
interesting topic, been visiting Thailand (mostly BKK and Pataya) for the last 5 years and have met countless boys who claim to be "students" and at times have been pleasantly surprised, a particular one actually qualified as a medical doctor and is now working at a skin/beauty clinic where he earns THB90k/month, thats pretty good money; yet the 1st time I met him was at a BKK gogo bar, liked him, bought him, and had a real good time.
In fact took a bit of a liking to him and booked him several times over 2 years untul he dropped out of sight, imagine my surprise when visiting the skin clinic to find him wielding the syringe!!
Basically believe that there are genuine students from poor families, (too poor for us westerners to actually understand, we think we're poor because we haven't got a dishwasher!!) who will make use of there assets to get ahead, as long as they emerge sane at the end of it..good on them; but kinda explains why they are willing to subject themselves to the sex trade...not all fun and games!!

September 4th, 2008, 09:02
subject themselves to the sex trade

Are you saying that the sex trade is degrading?

latintopxxx
September 4th, 2008, 09:15
most definitely degrading, you got very little choice, selling yourself to be used by the customer as he likes!!! Exactly what I like about it....

Smiles
September 4th, 2008, 10:32
" ... Let us discuss this topic from that angel and bring some intellectual inter-change. ... "
Intellectual interchanges with angels? WTF? :cyclops: :albino:
Where did we get this guy?

Cheers ...

bing
September 4th, 2008, 15:37
I have had a Thai friend who has been with me for several years when I am in LOS. He was one of the young men who worked for Punya at Howard's Guest House. He did not go to college, but did see education as important, and worked hard at languages. He had great English skill, aside from getting stuck trying to figure out a specific word he wanted to say. I got an email from him, he is now living in Germany with a guy he met on holiday. He is attending school in German to learn German more perfectly. Good for him, I'll miss his company, but do wish him every good thing. I hope he can take the German winters. The cold would be a challenge for me I know.

September 4th, 2008, 20:35
I would think, unless my experience is wrong, that no one,unless you have lived in their shoes; really knows how a guy any guy in Thailand really feels about any of you or me. I think you know what they want you to know and nothing more. You can never really understand their culture or how they think unless you were raised and brought up like they were and with he same difficulties. Only an Elitist would assume he can understand all levels of their culture then give any meaningful explanation of that same culture. No one from London can understand an average American no mattter how much they may digress about their former colonies. Neither can we as expiates expect to understand them or, why they are willing to do the things they do for money or why some will not.

I suspect we don't understand it at all, and to think we do is like an Alice in wonderland story, no one knows really how deep the rabbit hole goes to quote from the movie Matrix.

The problem is that is very difficult to "really understand" ANYONE, whether that person be Thai, American, or Mugluk. (I made the last one up.)

For example, my own parents. They were the "ideal American married couple" for 49.5 years, when they got divorced, and slowly (very slowly) the family began to learn that they had never understood "Mom" -- who not only dumped her husband of 50 years, but also disowned all four of her children.

So did she really marry Dad for money? She surely cleaned up, to the tune of $2-3 million. But how could we all have lived with her for 50 years, and not realized what she was (supposedly) really up to?

More recently, I had my own mini-replay of this story with a really handsome boy from Isaan, who made me very happy for 1.5 years and then suddenly decided to split, and stole as much as possible from me (but cunningly...the BelAmi DVDs were taken, but their boxes remained in place...) And, oh yes, it was all for his "poor mother."

The problem is only compounded by trying to understand one's own self. There are so many conflicting goals: we would all like to be millionaires, AND philanthropists, AND successful businessman, AND saints. Some of us would like to be king, and some would like to serve the poor, and very often those two goals reside in the same human "heart."

So I would not advise anyone to arrive in Thailand with the goal of "understanding everything." Try that stunt in your own country, first.

In Thailand, as anywhere else, it is best to cultivate one's own garden.