PDA

View Full Version : State of emergency. What does this mean?

September 2nd, 2008, 14:19
It has been declared. What and how will this impact on the lives if the Thai people?

September 2nd, 2008, 15:33
My view of this is that it is a good thing. The more the BIB have their hands full with the political hullabaloo, the less time they will have for harassing the internet cafes, the bars, the boys and their patrons with piss tests and ID checks and other bullshit scams they get up to.
I think this is great and I hope it continues to escalate to the point that all the police have their hands full day and night with riots and demonstrations. I wouldn't even mind if it became a permanent thing. So look at the positive side of all this guys!
No need to be so negative about every commotion that arises. This is a blessing in disguise.

September 2nd, 2008, 15:34
My view of this is that it is a good thing. The more the BIB have their hands full with the political hullabaloo, the less time they will have for harassing the internet cafes, the bars, the boys and their patrons with piss tests and ID checks and other bullshit scams they get up to.Well yes, except it's the army restoring order, not the police. Sort of invalidates your argument

September 2nd, 2008, 15:39
My view of this is that it is a good thing. The more the BIB have their hands full with the political hullabaloo, the less time they will have for harassing the internet cafes, the bars, the boys and their patrons with piss tests and ID checks and other bullshit scams they get up to.Well yes, except it's the army restoring order, not the police. Sort of invalidates your argument

OK, then let's hope it escalates to the point that the army needs all of the police to back them up. In fact, shove all the fat and corrupt BIB right to the front lines and let fate take its course. I still say its great.

September 2nd, 2008, 15:47
The more the BIB have their hands full with the political hullabaloo, the less time they will have for harassing the internet cafes, the bars, the boys and their patrons. This is a blessing in disguise.

Hunter I am worried, why you are in Thailand? Why are you hoping for the cover of chaos? What illegal activities are you being frustrated in not being able to do at the present?

A bit shifty if you ask me.

September 2nd, 2008, 15:50
Hunter I am worried, why you are in Thailand? Why are you hoping for the cover of chaos? What illegal activities are you being frustrated in not being able to do at the present? A bit shifty if you ask me.Heaven help him if he ever goes to China, eh?

September 2nd, 2008, 16:35
So, you are in favour of people being killed and injured so that you can pursue some dubious activities?

In a nut shell. He doesn't want anyone looking at his ID? Hmmmm.

September 2nd, 2008, 16:39
In a nut shell. He doesn't want anyone looking at his ID? Hmmmm.I guess as the happy resident of a totalitarian country you're fairly used to that sort of check anyway?

September 2nd, 2008, 17:52
it won't have a big impact unless things get uglier.

Students are one thing. There is kind of a natural animosity between those who can afford to get into the university and those that might not. But if the order to shoot comes, the guns could end up pointed the other way.

September 2nd, 2008, 18:51
My view of this is that it is a good thing. The more the BIB have their hands full with the political hullabaloo, the less time they will have for harassing the internet cafes, the bars, the boys and their patrons with piss tests and ID checks and other bullshit scams they get up to.
I think this is great and I hope it continues to escalate to the point that all the police have their hands full day and night with riots and demonstrations. I wouldn't even mind if it became a permanent thing. So look at the positive side of all this guys!
No need to be so negative about every commotion that arises. This is a blessing in disguise.

So, you are in favour of people being killed and injured so that you can pursue some dubious activities?

Yeah... the dubious activities I want to pursue consist of going to the bar without having it raided for ID checks including my passport, pee tests and terrorizing the boys working there, and now even the internet cafes. Looks like the fucking BIB have far too much time on their hands and sending them to the front lines of the riots sounds like it will take their mind off of harassing law abiding people for their shake-down routines.

I have even heard that the Muslims in the south are ready to exploit the situation to further their own aims and that would further stretch the resources of the army requiring the BIB to be sent to that front line as well.

I don't control this, I just sit back and watch and laugh. Chaos to you, karma to others. The great wheel of retribution turns. It's the bright side of all this. Everyone gets his comeuppance. And uproariously funny to watch the pigs squirm. Nay?

September 2nd, 2008, 18:58
Students? As far as I know, this current disturbance is between a well financed and well organised professional group of agitators (how else can thousands of people spend months taking part), and the government and their supporters. Can't see significant numbers of students having the time or money to be involved.

Yes, the students are history. Here are the the parents and siblings of the army boys.

They all looked like a bunch of farmers at Woodstock to me.

giggsy
September 2nd, 2008, 22:56
In a nut shell. He doesn't want anyone looking at his ID? Hmmmm.[/quote]

HE HAS LOADS OF IDENTITIES VIAROSA/UKLOVER/RICKSHAW ETC

September 3rd, 2008, 08:43
I see I have nothing to fear, the state of emergency is being ignored by both the PAD and the army. I wonder when Samak will get it through his baboon skull that his little party is well and truly over? How much face can a man lose and still be taken seriously?

September 3rd, 2008, 08:55
How much face can a man loose and still be taken seriously?Loose faces! The mind boggles. Assuming you meant "lose" face, I believe Henry Cate is our most recent expert on that :bounce:

ikarus
September 3rd, 2008, 10:16
Frankly, current state of emergency probably produce nothing. Couple days ago when Samak proposed it to Army chief the response was: resign or disband the parliament.
Why Army chief suddenly changed his heart? Well, it is simple. During last couple of days PPP moved a lot of their supporters from NorthEast to BKK and it became clear that they will be able to take control of strategic positions in the city (including Government house) within next few days. That is scenario military are not ready to support.
In other words, IMHO, it is mostly the action against PPP and their supporters rather than against PAD. The key issue is to clean up Government house from protesters and Army chief already said that he is not going to do that. There is already petition to the court to proclaim the move unconstitutional (currently in Administrative court but the hope on lawers
side that it will be moved to Constitutional court). Now, I cannot see how this move (declaration of State of Emergency) can possibly be unconstitutional but on the other hand I am not on Constitutional court...
We will see what is going to happen within next few days. Once` again the key issue is the removal of protesters from the government house. IMHO, Samak no longer plays any constructive role (if he ever did). Yes, he definitely proved that he is the shrewdest politician in Thailand but in the end of the day it is not about him.
In case of Emergency State is suspended by courts, PPP, IMHO should return to plan B: move their supporters to BKK en masse and (possibly jointly with police) take control of the city and arrest the leaders of PAD. Well, it may sound as a "People revolution" but may be it is high time for it...

September 3rd, 2008, 10:26
Heavens alive.
Yes it gives them a mandate which they have not yet used to halt the flow of people from the rurals into Bangkok. This is what is meant by it back firing on Samak who didn't want this initially. I suspect HRH might have helped him along here.

ikarus
September 3rd, 2008, 10:32
Sorry, looks like double post

September 3rd, 2008, 10:36
Heavens alive.
Yes it gives them a mandate which they have not yet used to halt the flow of people from the rurals into Bangkok. This is what is meant by it back firing on Samak who didn't want this initially. I suspect HRH might have helped him along here.

Lunchtime O'Booze
September 3rd, 2008, 12:26
don't be alarmed..it's the old guard (the protestors representing the established families of influence) opposing the new guard..the current government ( half of who are crooks). In time honoured Thai tradition an agreement will be reached and continuing the tradition, that agreement will be broken.

For the general thai population it means little. For tourists it shouldn't mean the slightest thing . Ignore all those dramtaic reports from embassies and such-they have to say it or they will be held responsible if a foreign national is hurt. Which is highly unlikely-your'e still more in danger crossing the road and from those insane motor scooter riders.

September 3rd, 2008, 12:35
..the current government ( half of who are crooks)That's a rather generous assessment - half of them are not crooks

Smiles
September 3rd, 2008, 19:48
" ... don't be alarmed ... it's the old guard (the protestors representing the established families of influence) opposing the new guard ... the current government (half of who are crooks). In time honoured Thai tradition an agreement will be reached and continuing the tradition, that agreement will be broken.

For the general Thai population it means little. For tourists it shouldn't mean the slightest thing ... "
A most perspicacious short overview of Thai politics (and always thus) Mr Lunch. Couldn't have said it better (in fewer words) myself.
Despite all the deluded flailing about from all the amateur hand-ringing farangs here, your take says it all. Hats off to you.

Cheers ...

September 4th, 2008, 23:11
DELETED

Brad the Impala
September 5th, 2008, 00:38
Did I get out just at the right time? Did I!!!

Not a moment too soon, I'd say.

September 5th, 2008, 08:58
....In case of Emergency State is suspended by courts, PPP, IMHO should return to plan B: move their supporters to BKK en masse and (possibly jointly with police) take control of the city and arrest the leaders of PAD. ...

Shades of 1976.

Samak is Back!

It's almost as if he came out of the cryosphere tank with Austin Powers.

Has anyone noticed the PAD is using the same kind of tactics the Nazis did to bring down the Weimar Republic?

NotTheNation (http://www.notthenation.com/pages/news/getnews.php?id=575) has!

Also note this Old Red Gaur Lament (http://www.notthenation.com/pages/news/getnews.php?id=576)

September 5th, 2008, 10:07
Yes exactly wot "new guard" or are we talking about the PAD?

The present government is no more than Thakin's Thai Rak Thai, its exactly the same. Did anyone believe it would last?

Im cautiously pessimistic about how this is all going to turn out. The shooting of the two students on their way to protest against the government is very worrying. Fortunately they are alive, had they died things might've turned out very differently, and they may still turn ugly. This shows the deadly seriousness of the situation beneath the surface, that still has the very real potential for getting out of control.

September 5th, 2008, 10:41
Shooting people whose politics you don't agree with is nothing new in this country, more like a cherished tradition. Not very nice, but a sad fact. In fact, shooting people you disagree with for any reason is quite common.

That might be so in a limited way. Obviously however in the context of the present situation it's the kind of spark that could send the people amok. If I didn't know any better I would say it was Samak trying scare off a wider student participation in the PAD protest. I think it will definitely have the opposite effect.

Smiles
September 5th, 2008, 11:43
" ... still has the very real potential for getting out of control ... "
See ... now it's getting interesting.

Cheers ...

September 5th, 2008, 12:06
Smiles you're like an old S&M junkie, arse like cracked leather. Do you need to be hung by fish hooks until your tits rip off to feel anything?

September 5th, 2008, 12:36
That what makes this forum so much fun

You would deny yourself?

Smiles
September 5th, 2008, 12:42
" ... There are lots of posters winding up other posters to get a reaction ... "
And the reactors ~ bless their literal hearts ~ bite every time. But it's easy with Cedric. :bounce:

Cheers ...

September 5th, 2008, 12:52
And the reactors ~ bless their literal hearts ~ bite every time. But it's easy with Cedric.

Cheers ...

That's just pitiful, nothing left in the box but imitation?