PDA

View Full Version : Army on the streets!

September 2nd, 2008, 03:58
1 killed - some injured.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_new ... ?id=130253 (http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/breakingnews.php?id=130253)

Anti-riot soldiers arrived at clash site at about 3pm to assist the police who had been sandwiched between pro- and anti-government protesters.

Army Commander in Cheif Gen Anupong Paojinda ordered the deployment.

Army Chief Gen Anupong Paochinda told Thai PBS that he had ordered hundreds of army force to the Makkhawan Rangsan Bridge to prevent possible violence.

He said the force should arrive at the site soon and he would monitor the situation,

the nation.

bigben
September 2nd, 2008, 04:24
At least one dead, dozens injuried some seriously.

Army deployed.

Gentlemen, fasten your seatbelts. This could get ugly.

Let's hope all parties can talk it out soon.

September 2nd, 2008, 04:50
Gentlemen, fasten your seatbelts

Corsets, surely?

September 2nd, 2008, 05:31
Corsets, surely?Some are sure to get their knickers in a knot

Beachlover
September 2nd, 2008, 06:59
Wasn't there an incident years ago where all these Muslim (?) protestors or rioters were thrown in the backs of army trucks by Thai Army personnel and many died of suffocation?

It's funny... a lot of businesses in Phuket have been holding their breath in fear of a terrorist attack that would wipe out tourist numbers... but when something happens to affect tourism, instead of violent religious-associated terrorists, it's local politics!

Also... what is up them hollering for "breakaway states" in so many countries all over the world??? It seems a lot of countries face this problem... Philippines, Thailand, Indonesia, region around Serbia, Russa (Chechnya)...

Not trying to incite hate/racism/intolerence of any kind here... just an interesting observation.

September 2nd, 2008, 08:16
BANGKOK, Thailand (CNN) -- Thailand's Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej has declared a state of emergency in the wake of brutal protests in the country, state television said Tuesday.

The terms of the state of emergency were read over state television. The government mandate overrides the country's constitution and allows the army to be in charge of enforcing laws.

Among other things, the emergency order forbids public gatherings of more than five people and bans the media from publishing or broadcasting images that would panic the public.

Led by the People's Alliance for Democracy, the demonstrators claim that Samak's administration is a proxy for former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, who was ousted in a coup in 2006.

The alliance contends Samak is trying to amend the constitution so Thaksin does not have to face charges. Thaksin returned to England this month, just as he was to appear in court in a corruption case.

One of the reasons for the emergency order was that protesters had recent violent clashes with pro-government supporters, state television reported.

Protesters had blocked off the three airports on Friday. Protesters also recently have held demonstrations inside government buildings and helped to shut down sections of the country's rail service.

September 2nd, 2008, 08:51
Thanks to PDA Thailand is sliding back to emergency rule

bigben
September 2nd, 2008, 08:53
"and bans the media from publishing or broadcasting images that would panic the public"

So now the government wants to keep it a secret????

This sounds like media control to me....Not good

Smiles
September 2nd, 2008, 10:37
Oogleman is freaking out. He has now authored breathless posts on the coming Thailand Armageddon on three different message boards, each Subject line adorned with numerous exclamation marks (!!!!!!!).

Cheers ...

September 2nd, 2008, 10:58
Oogleman is freaking out. He has now authored breathless posts on the coming Thailand Armageddon on three different message boards, each Subject line adorned with numerous exclamation marks (!!!!!!!).

Cheers ...

just to let the expats wake up to some good news.

and i didn`t author anything - copied and pasted.

cheeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrsssssssssssssss!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!

September 2nd, 2008, 11:01
and i didn`t author anything - copied and pasted.Not even an original thought then!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!

September 2nd, 2008, 11:03
and i didn`t author anything - copied and pasted.Not even an original thought then!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!

my original thought was that all you bangkokians should move to pattaya but then i woke up.

September 2nd, 2008, 11:06
my original thought was that all you bangkokians should move to pattaya but then i woke up.Get a grip - we do have some standards

Smiles
September 2nd, 2008, 11:11
" ... my original thought was that all you bangkokians should move to pattaya but then i woke up ... " to the thought that the bald old cunt would start up a Pattaya branch of "Facesitters Unonymous" (F.U.), thus taking attention away from the media (and this Board's) fascination with sex with underage children in Sunnee Plaza.

Cheers ...

September 2nd, 2008, 11:55
i didn't author anything, copied and pasted

Wowpow would be proud. This board isn't the same without him around.

September 2nd, 2008, 14:33
It takes a real work to mock the dead. Wowpow was not perfect and knew his limitations, but was liked by many, probably most.

September 2nd, 2008, 15:37
It takes a real work to mock the dead. I'm not sure about that at all. Lytton Stratchey did a wonderful job in Eminent Victorians, for example, and that was certainly real work, but as we know the dead cannot sue for defamation. I do my best to mock many of the living dead and the brain dead on this Board; it's really not that hard