PDA

View Full Version : thaksin on the move?

thanatorn-old
September 1st, 2008, 17:21
Sky news this morning announced Thaksin had sold his part of Manchester City to an Abu Dhabi investment company.

Is this a first step to his return to face the music, or is he just cash strapped as his assets are frozen? Does this have any influence on possible extradition processes?

I personally don't think he will return but wander around aimlessly trying to find a nitch where he is accepted or safe.

September 1st, 2008, 17:55
It would take years for him to be extradited from England to Thailand as he has the money to battle it out in the U.K. courts. I would think the sell off is because he is short of the 800 million frozen in Thailand. Only last season he had to borrow money to pay the players salaries. Seems like owning and running a football team is not quite as easy as making money through a monopoly or corrupt businesses as he did!

September 1st, 2008, 18:14
It would take years for him to be extradited from England to Thailand as he has the money to battle it out in the U.K. courts.
He does not need to be extradited. If he is convicted 'in absentia' in the current case before the courts he would then come under scrutiny by the FA, according to their rules, to decide if he were "fit and proper person" to have part or whole ownership of an English football club.

I think he expects to be convicted and is therefore getting out of football club ownership in the UK before he is forced to do so and thereby avoiding considerable loss of face in the eyes of his supporters in Thailand.

September 1st, 2008, 18:32
Of course he remains outside the country and after he is convicted of corruption and fraud in the Ratchadapisek case he cannot be further charged with anything else that might come up unless he is in Thailand.

September 1st, 2008, 19:09
Arab group claims Man City deal

A Middle-East company claims to have completed a takeover of Premier League side Manchester City.
Abu Dhabi United Group Investment and Development (ADUG) says it has bought the club from Thaksin Shinawatra.
"The investment services and development in Abu Dhabi has successfully completed the huge takeover," its statement read.

City have said discussions are ongoing and BBC Sport understands Thaksin is eager to retain an interest in City. ........

........The ADUG statement claimed that the deal gave it "all management rights" over City, while Thaksin would become honorary president of the club "without any administrative responsibilities".........

.......However, BBC Sport understands that ADUG has only signed a memorandum of understanding - essentially a gentleman's agreement - with City.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 591735.stm (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_city/7591735.stm)

September 1st, 2008, 19:15
" essentially a gentleman's agreement " with Thaksin, what a joke :cheese:

fedssocr
September 2nd, 2008, 07:57
Of course he remains outside the country and after he is convicted of corruption and fraud in the Ratchadapisek case he cannot be further charged with anything else that might come up unless he is in Thailand.

I'm not sure this is true. Why can't they go ahead with all of the other cases that are already in the pipeline and convict him in absentia in all of those cases as well?

September 2nd, 2008, 19:23
Why can't they go ahead with all of the other cases that are already in the pipeline and convict him in absentia in all of those cases as well?
I seem to remember reading that the law requires that the person being charged has to appear 'in person' in court to hear the charges when they are first read out in court and has to enter a plea in person.

That's why the other cases pending against him have been shelved until he is back in the country.

September 6th, 2008, 02:39
yes i do like taksin he help all the poor people in thailand could not understand why some people don"t like the way he work.

September 6th, 2008, 15:24
yes i do like taksin he help all the poor people in thailand could not understand why some people don"t like the way he work.

I'm sure our buddy Wes will be delighted that he's no longer the thickest member of the board.

Bob
September 7th, 2008, 10:04
That was helpful, Mr. Rice Farmer. PP has a valid point in my view. Shinawatra was very likely a corrupt politician which, of course, doesn't distinguish himself from any other of the Thai politicians on the scene; yet, his administration at least did some things that benefitted the poor (the 30-baht health scheme, agricultural loans to the poor, etc.). Can you name anything that any other Thai administration has done in the last 20 years which assisted the rural poor to any degree?

September 7th, 2008, 10:31
... his administration at least did some things that benefitted the poor (the 30-baht health scheme, agricultural loans to the poor, etc.) ... Those benefits are arguable; they may have helped him win consecutive elections but that was probably the only "benefit" that was delivered to anyone, including the poor

September 7th, 2008, 11:27
The health scheme was a good move ... ... apart from all the under-funded hospitals, teetering on the brink of bankruptcy

September 7th, 2008, 16:01
Don't forget the 3,000 odd Thais, kids as well as Grandmothers who were shot down in their homes and the streets (without trial) during his so called anti drug crusade.

quiet1
September 8th, 2008, 16:21
The health scheme was a good move ... ... apart from all the under-funded hospitals, teetering on the brink of bankruptcy
...not to mention the resultant exodus of doctors and nurses from that under-funded (and therefore poor paying) system to the more lucrative (well-paying) private system.