PDA

View Full Version : Can we get caugt up in a civil war?

Khor tose
August 28th, 2008, 07:15
One way of bringing down a government is to destroy its infrastructure and economic base. The last time I checked, tourist are a big part of this counties economic base. I am really surprised that the Moslems in the South have not figured this out, and now we have a real fight between PAD and the present party in power. So I am wondering that if a civil war starts in Thailand could there be bombings etc., and could we be one of the prime targets. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Smiles
August 28th, 2008, 07:23
One way of bringing down a government is to destroy its infrastructure and economic base. The last time I checked, tourist are a big part of this counties economic base. I am really surprised that the Moslems in the South have not figured this out, and now we have a real fight between PAD and the present party in power. So I am wondering that if a civil war starts in Thailand could there be bombings etc., and could we be one of the prime targets. Your thoughts would be appreciated.
Oh quit worrying sweetheart . . . what do we all retire for if not to make life in general more interesting. I was 'around' during the last coup, and thus hope the next one has a bit more 'oooomph'.

Please stay home if not interested in the fireworks.

Cheers ...

August 28th, 2008, 07:34
There will not be a civil war. The Buddhist religion has been kidnapped by the state and has taught all of the poor Thai Buddhist to be very passive: respectful, work for unity (don't rock the boat), no direct confrontation, and smile. Your next life will be better IF you follow the teachings of the State's Religion.

If you read "the book" you will know without doubt that the army and/or police will fire on the crowd...after a wink and a nod from you know who. Then there will then be a great out cry for calm and UNITY from "on high" and everyone will fall into line and behave.

Another coup probably; a civil war never.

Khor tose
August 28th, 2008, 08:16
I spent 2 1/2 yrs in Vietnam during one civil war and anywhere a Canadian from Vancouver can hang, a good America from Seattle can hang even longer. I think I mean that figuratively. Beside that Chiang Mai is very close to two borders. :cheese:

August 28th, 2008, 09:23
Another coup probably; a civil war never.Never? Even based on what you've just said, "never" is a long stretch. Many Thais are extremely fearful of what might happen when Bhumiphol dies (which won't be that far away) and I've heard speculation from one of my friends who is, let's say, "close to the Palace", that a civil war between allies of Virajalongkorn and allies of Sirindhorn is something Thais anticipate (or at least fear)

August 28th, 2008, 10:34
Another coup probably; a civil war never.Never? Even based on what you've just said, "never" is a long stretch. Many Thais are extremely fearful of what might happen when Bhumiphol dies (which won't be that far away) and I've heard speculation from one of my friends who is, let's say, "close to the Palace", that a civil war between allies of Virajalongkorn and allies of Sirindhorn is something Thais anticipate (or at least fear)

Speculation is just that. History is the best predictor of the future. Thailand has a long history of the Grand Council now called the Privy Council making the final determination as to who assumes the Throne. http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/187004/anna-siam? The Privy Council is made up primarily of ex military men. Sirindhorn taught for a long period of time at the Thai Military Academy and has many close friends that are very high in the military. The Privy Council is fully aware of Virajalongkorn many problems...being "unpopular" and not being very smart being at the top of the list.

I would bet that Sirindhorn will asume the throne either as Queen or Regent for one or both of Virajalongkorn's son's. I would farther bet that there will be little or no upset to the country outside of the national grief over the passing of Bhumiphol.

August 28th, 2008, 10:52
I would bet that Sirindhorn will asume the throne either as Queen or Regent for one or both of Virajalongkorn's son's.Both? Which two are they? Which (if any or all) of the three eldest sons are you excluding? I suppose as an American you're not aware that Regents don't assume thrones. Reigning kings or queens however ascend thrones - and only reigning kings or queens. You're positing a joint kingship then ("both of Virajalongkorn's sons"), or suggesting that one will die, to be succeeded by the other, like Bhumiphol and his elder brother? That would be novel. But whether you're betting or not, it's still all speculation until it happens, which takes us back to my original objection - "there will never be a civil war". Or does "never" in your version of the English language mean something other than for the rest of us? Perhaps you're hoping that you will never die, meaning you know you will die sometime, just not real soon?

August 28th, 2008, 11:44
The '92 coup and uprising was more dramatic, the '06 coup was a little boring, not even one transport stuffed with arm-wrapped, brown skinned, tight jungle-fatigue clad, machine-gun wielding boys in sight. That's not that I crave non-bloodless coups or ever want to know of the misfiring tanks again. I have a high definition television set now so I am curious what it would be like to watch it all on the local news which finally seems to be getting up to the moment. Another coup? A few days off for everyone! Something needed from time to time for the kids to miss school in a nation unblessed with snow days or air quality alerts, I guess. It's not something I really suggest as it might just lead to a quickie election which is not necessarily the best strategy for any group's cause. Best avoided until all else fails. But like earthquakes in Los Angeles, a fact of life in Bangkok, not to be abjectly feared. Ho humm, a little excitement to while away the tedium of the day to day retirement.

August 28th, 2008, 15:33
The '92 coup and uprising was more dramatic, the '06 coup was a little boring, not even one transport stuffed with arm-wrapped, brown skinned, tight jungle-fatigue clad, machine-gun wielding boys in sight. That's not that I crave non-bloodless coups or ever want to know of the misfiring tanks again. I have a high definition television set now so I am curious what it would be like to watch it all on the local news which finally seems to be getting up to the moment. Another coup? A few days off for everyone! Something needed from time to time for the kids to miss school in a nation unblessed with snow days or air quality alerts, I guess. It's not something I really suggest as it might just lead to a quickie election which is not necessarily the best strategy for any group's cause. Best avoided until all else fails. But like earthquakes in Los Angeles, a fact of life in Bangkok, not to be abjectly feared. Ho humm, a little excitement to while away the tedium of the day to day retirement.

You may have HDTV but can you tell me who in Thailand broadcasts in HD????????????

August 28th, 2008, 15:36
You have more chance of being ripped off, set up or murdered by certain falangs living in Pattaya than getting hurt by Thais upset with the present government :bom:

August 28th, 2008, 15:38
You have more chance of being ripped off, set up or murdered by certain falangs living in Thailand than getting hurt by Thais upset with the present governmentIndeed - certain members of this Board have been after me for some time now

krobbie
August 28th, 2008, 17:41
You have more chance of being ripped off, set up or murdered by certain falangs living in Thailand than getting hurt by Thais upset with the present governmentIndeed - certain members of this Board have been after me for some time now

Homi, surely you're not surprised?

Cheers :-)
krobbie

August 28th, 2008, 20:58
I generally do not comment about Thai politics, because farang usually get the whole thing wrong.

So I will just quote the former BF, who was applying for a job with a semi-governmental firm with its HQ in Bangkok. The demonstrators occupied that building, and so nobody can work there. Quoth the former BF, "F*ck them. I needed a job."

My own worthless opinion is that Chamlong is a Fame Whore of the worst degree, and the whole point of this is to get slapped by the King again. :-) I think of Chamlong as the Cindy Sheehan of Thai politics...

August 28th, 2008, 21:09
Oh quit worrying sweetheart . . . what do we all retire for if not to make life in general more interesting. I was 'around' during the last coup, and thus hope the next one has a bit more 'oooomph'.

Cheers ...

Smile Im horrifies at you attitude> You hopeing Thai people deade. Maybe you blast in TEsco in boom we all happy smile already gone.

August 29th, 2008, 04:21

Homi, what is so sad is that it is obvious to all that you take great pride and have a sense of joy in having people "after you". From time to time you have insightful comments, but the two things that continues to come through in so many of your post are your mean spirit and black heart. You have great potential of intellect, but your mean spirit will always come between you and your potential. Saying one has great potential is a great insult...just a polite way of saying that one is a looser in life because they have chosen to be so much less than they could have been. I think that you will chose to "never" change. Accept a challenge and prove that my "NEVER" is wrong; you can begin by making a commitment to yourself to stop writing mean spirited comments that reflect a black heart.

August 29th, 2008, 06:24

Homi, what is so sad is that it is obvious to all that you take great pride and have a sense of joy in having people "after you". From time to time you have insightful comments, but the two things that continues to come through in so many of your post are your mean spirit and black heart. You have great potential of intellect, but your mean spirit will always come between you and your potential. Saying one has great potential is a great insult...just a polite way of saying that one is a looser in life because they have chosen to be so much less than they could have been. I think that you will chose to "never" change. Accept a challenge and prove that my "NEVER" is wrong; you can begin by making a commitment to yourself to stop writing mean spirited comments that reflect a black heart.

What a load of bull. Clever, funny and wrong is a far better combination than your dim-witted whine. And quite often Homi is right.

August 29th, 2008, 06:36
you can begin by making a commitment to yourself to stop writing mean spirited comments that reflect a black heart.As I used to say to poor dear Hedda - where's the fun in that?

Smiles
August 29th, 2008, 06:52

Cheers ...
Smile Im horrifies at you attitude> You hopeing Thai people deade. Maybe you blast in TEsco in boom we all happy smile already gone.
Cedric, I think your live-in is at your computer and posting on Sawatdee again. Would you please ask him to register and get his own handle.

Cheers ...

August 29th, 2008, 07:53

Cheers ...
Cedric, I think your live-in is at your computer and posting on Sawatdee again. Would you please ask him to register and get his own handle.

Cheers ...

hahaha - too many campari sodas?

August 29th, 2008, 08:00

Cheers ...

Cheers ...

No Oogs, as Smiles correctly said, without doubt, his live-in is at his computer again.

George.

hahaha - too many campari sodas?

August 29th, 2008, 09:21
Smiles Im glad you brought this to my attention. And others who sent me PM's.

This is a very sad attitude of yours. Im disappointed. Things are not looking good in Bangkok, blood shed is real possibility unless that corrupt mad man steps down. Your words are indeed cheap.

I cant imagine you got half as much excitement in Canada since that pig farmer ate three of his visitors, a place you can easily return to should the shit hit the fan.

My heart and thoughts go out to all those people young and old trying to restore some semblance of Democracy and pride to Thailand. I wish them safe passage strength and courage in the coming few days, may not one be harmed.

Cedric

August 29th, 2008, 09:39
Things are not looking good in Bangkok, blood shed is real possibility unless that corrupt mad man steps down.HMTK? I didn't realise abdication was a possibility

August 29th, 2008, 09:51
Smiles Im glad you brought this to my attention. And others who sent me PM's.

This is a very sad attitude of yours. Im disappointed. Things are not looking good in Bangkok, blood shed is real possibility unless that corrupt mad man steps down. Your words are indeed cheap.

I cant imagine you got half as much excitement in Canada since that pig farmer ate three of his visitors, a place you can easily return to should the shit hit the fan.

My heart and thoughts go out to all those people young and old trying to restore some semblance of Democracy and pride to Thailand. I wish them safe passage strength and courage in the coming few days, may not one be harmed.

Cedric

It might have escaped your notice but the PAD are not democratic and are in fact the only ones causing violence right now.

Smiles
August 29th, 2008, 10:13
"My heart and thoughts go out to all those [Thai] people young and old trying to [afford shopping at Tesco].
I wish them safe passage strength and courage in the coming few days [in the face of Tesco's latest round of price increases, which are this time reaching unconsciable levels]. May not one be harmed [by the lethal shopping carts ~ all uninspected and unregulated ~ currently being used at all Tesco outlets in Thailand]."

Cheers ... :usa2: :usa2: :usa2: :usa2:

August 29th, 2008, 10:25
I was 'around' during the last coup, and thus hope the next one has a bit more 'oooomph'.

Cheers ...

I cant believe how glib this attitude is. Its not his brother father sister mother friend lover caught up in all of this it's the people of Thailand. As a guest in Thailand hoping for an escalation of violence and mayhem is a straight forward display of vulgar contempt.

If he wishes to leave Im sure no one will stand in his way.

August 29th, 2008, 10:37
I have a disheartening feeling that the events in the Caucases (not the Balkans) might soon have more of an impact on our lives than those in Thailand.

But Thailand is pretty fcuked up right now too.

Bob
August 29th, 2008, 10:43

Rather noble thoughts, young master Cedric; however, while you're wearing your yellow shirt on Monday, could you please explain to me who are "all those people young and old trying to restore some semblance of Democracy and pride to Thailand?" You mean Pad? Or the mob fighting over the lacy underwear bin at MBK this weekend? Or Louie (well, ok, Somchai) the street vendor in Nakorn Nowhere?

And, if you finish up that assignment, you may wish to study the concepts of irony and sarcasm and you might be able to understand Khun Smiles' posts a bit better.

August 29th, 2008, 10:44
I was 'around' during the last coup, and thus hope the next one has a bit more 'oooomph'.

Cheers ...

I cant believe how glib this attitude is. Its not his brother father sister mother friend lover caught up in all of this it's the people of Thailand. As a guest in Thailand hoping for an escalation of violence and mayhem is a straight forward display of vulgar contempt.

If he wishes to leave Im sure no one will stand in his way.

I take it from your statements Cedric, that the understanding of irony, is not one of your strengths.

George.

August 29th, 2008, 11:44
Very ignoble tweedle dee and tweedle dum. Smiles must be flattered.

Smiles is also old enough to fully realise the thoughtlessness of his statement. Even though I'm sure he really never meant it, I feel just a little sad right now George and Bob. I don't mean to be rude, Im sure you know what irony is.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3130/2807966242_929f2fff09.jpg

August 29th, 2008, 15:15
The last coup is it nearly 2 years ago now?
I was sat at Oscars doing the quizz, David's phone went off, and he said to the person at the other end...

"No dear there is no C0-OP in Thailand"..(A food chain in the UK), then several more phones went off, and several more (for a laugh) said no..no Co-Op's here.

The message? We didn't feel a rumble in pattaya.

At the airport, l was met at passport control, by 2 blokes in army uniform, and a mixed breed Alsation dog, (which was more intersted what was in his ear that anything else)
In a word no effect.

(sorry for spelling mishhtakes, spell check not working)

August 29th, 2008, 17:40
Ifor a short period there were soldiers at almost every intersection

I missed that. Guess it was only a 6.0 on the scale. Next time I'll take a walk to Sanam Lumpini.

August 29th, 2008, 21:41
I take it from your statements Cedric, that the understanding of irony, is not one of your strengths.You're surely not claiming it's one of yours? :bom: :drunken: :bounce: :clown: :cyclopsani:

Lunchtime O'Booze
August 29th, 2008, 22:20

it's quite true-hence him never visiting Pattaya !

they could announce they were invading Boyztown & Sunnee Plaza next Wednesday and you know what queens are like-they'd all turn up in their best frocks to see the soldiers.

August 30th, 2008, 02:36

it's quite true-hence him never visiting Pattaya !

they could announce they were invading Boyztown & Sunnee Plaza next Wednesday and you know what queens are like-they'd all turn up in their best frocks to see the soldiers.

................ only if they thought there was a chance of being raped or pillaged

Smiles
August 30th, 2008, 04:15
I take it from your statements Cedric, that the understanding of irony, is not one of your strengths.You're surely not claiming it's one of yours? :bom: :drunken: :bounce: :clown: :cyclopsani:
Perhaps not, but shirley more than Cedric, who is truly lost in space.

Cheers ...

August 30th, 2008, 05:37
Perhaps not, but shirley more than Cedric, who is truly lost in space.Cedric may be an example of FILTH - Failed In London Try Hongkong

August 30th, 2008, 10:17
Perhaps not, but shirley more than Cedric, who is lost in space.
Cheers ...

Oh heavens alive how literal does one have to be on this forum to get a point across. Smile's contempt for the Thai people was plain and simple. Next you will be trying to convince us it was satire.

This recent attempt of his to make us think he was pissed out of his brain at the time might however stick. Ssssssshhhhhirly?

All said and done it points to a rather miserable old sod who's small blessings are more than likely mixed with cheap whiskey.:crazy:

Maybe boy special has become too fixated on Smiles's dwindling bank balance and not enough on the rapidly dwindling pleasures of Smiles himself.

August 31st, 2008, 13:43
I've lived through several coups in Thailand, and hardly noticed any difference. A civil war seems highly unlikely. Judging by comments I've heard from the Thais living around me, PAD are rapidly losing the passive support they did have amongst Bangkokians, who are now fed up with their stupid antics and just want to get on with life. Chamlong and his cohorts, I believe, have seriously misjudged the situation.

I hold a similar view; I only hope we are right, otherwise this could be far more serious for many Thais (and even farangs) than any short-lived coup.

August 31st, 2008, 16:15
I've lived through several coups in Thailand, and hardly noticed any difference.

To have "lived through several coups in Thailand", you would have had to have been here for over 30 years. Have you?

sjaak327
August 31st, 2008, 16:16
I've lived through several coups in Thailand, and hardly noticed any difference. A civil war seems highly unlikely. Judging by comments I've heard from the Thais living around me, PAD are rapidly losing the passive support they did have amongst Bangkokians, who are now fed up with their stupid antics and just want to get on with life. Chamlong and his cohorts, I believe, have seriously misjudged the situation.

I hold a similar view; I only hope we are right, otherwise this could be far more serious for many Thais (and even farangs) than any short-lived coup.

The PAD doesn't really need massive support, they seem to have the resources to hold on. They are very good organized and funded.

I sincerly hope they are not succeeding, but you'll never know.

At the end of the day, the choice is between a corrupt government, that at least was elected using the ballot box, and a bunch of people, who want their old power back. Together with their "new politics" that willl ensure that they will be able to hold on to that power. It's just another form of corruption, and they just can't wait to line their pockets again, just as they did pre TRT.

Brad the Impala
August 31st, 2008, 17:15
My first coup was in 1973, when Thanom Kittikachorn was deposed, having himself previously taken power himself in a military coup. His government was known as The Father, The Son and the Holy Gross, being Kittikachorn, his evil son Colonel Narong, and the obese sidekick, Prapass.

It was a people's coup that started as students, originally from Thammasat University, demonstrated for more democracy, and escalated to the largest demonstration in Thai history to date, which resulted in considerable blood shed, and loss of life, on the streets of Bangkok, as the army tried to suppress dissent. It only ended with the King requiring the Holy Gross to go into exile.

It was the start of the movement for greater democracy in Thailand.

August 31st, 2008, 18:50
The Thammasat University massacre was one of the bloodiest carried out by Thai's againsts Thai's and stands as a lesson as to what can happen when people are lied to and urged to take the law into their own hands. I will never forget the atrocious images splashed across the worlds press of young students being hung, beaten and burnt to death from lamp posts. It's also worth remembering that Samak ( I think he was Interior Minister then, but correct me if I am wrong) actually is recently on record as saying Thammasat never happened, or at least it was grossly over estimated with only a few deaths occuring, which is also like Thaksin refusing to accept the number of deaths caused in his clean up of illegal drugs campaign back in 2003.

September 2nd, 2008, 00:44
It's also worth remembering that Samak ( I think he was Interior Minister then, but correct me if I am wrong) actually is recently on record as saying Thammasat never happened, or at least it was grossly over estimated with only a few deaths occuring ....

He had actually just been removed from the post of Deputy Interior Minister in the Democrat government prior to the coup, and he was then made Interior Minister in the new government after the coup!

He stated on CNN (9 Feb 08) that he had "been an outsider at that time" and that only one "unlucky guy" died.

As I said, I am far from a Samak fan, but I hope he wins the present "battle" despite that.

September 2nd, 2008, 14:25
Wot a silly thing to hope for. One man has already died, was his life less important than this corrupt scum bag staying in office?

September 2nd, 2008, 15:33
Wot a silly thing to hope for. One man has already died, was his life less important than this corrupt scum bag staying in office?People say the same about the Chinese government and the people of Tibet. As someone who resides in China, what is your view on Tibet??

September 2nd, 2008, 16:06
Tibet is a Hollywood's fantasy. It doesn't exist. Is the short answer. Not even the exiled Dalai Lama wants autonomy for the region which is made up of a vast area inhabited by millions and millions of Chinese and scattered small populations of Tibetan people, all covering a few provinces.

What might be a good idea was if Drepung got some sort of deal similar to the Vatican set up in Italy, and the Dalai Lama was allowed to return to take his rightful place over the puppet who was installed by the Chinese.

September 2nd, 2008, 16:13
Tibet is a Hollywood's fantasy. It doesn't exist. Is the short answer. Not even the exiled Dalai Lama wants autonomy for the region which is made up of a vast area inhabited by millions and millions of Chinese and scattered small populations of Tibetan people, all covering a few provinces. So what you're saying is that the lives of many Tibetan protesters don't matter over the wishes of those corrupt old men in Peking?

September 2nd, 2008, 16:30
Hovelturd trying to put words into my mouth will not help you. The cause of the cult of the Buddha in China is admirable, especially if you are a follower, I disagree with violence and suppression of anyone.

September 2nd, 2008, 16:34
The cause of the cult of the Buddha in China is admirable, especially if you are a followerThe crass superstition of Tibetan or Thai "Buddhism" has no charm for me. However I trust that as a resident of China you are as resolute in making anti-government posts on the Internet and talking to your work colleagues about the waste of human life there as you are assiduous in condemning the Samak government here. Do tell us about your consistency of purpose, won't you - I look forward to hearing about it

September 2nd, 2008, 17:02
Homintern this is a Thai forum I don't know if this little fact slipped your attention. Yes I am indeed scathing about the Chinese government. No duplicity here. Hope you can rest easier. I live in Hong Kong and not mainland China, however I cringe at our undemocratically elected chief executive and his cronies kowtowing to the Chinese authorities at every opportunity.

Hope you can rest easier.

September 2nd, 2008, 17:22
Tibet has been a distinct cultural, economic and geographic identity for more than a millenium and clearly deserving nationhood of its own in any definition of the term in order that Tibetans can rule themselves and bring themselves into the modern world without the great leadership of the corrupt anti-human rights COMMUNIST corpse worshippers in Beijing. Yes, there is some comparison. Thais can do it without the great one (him). Tibetans can do that as well.

September 2nd, 2008, 18:10
Yes I am indeed scathing about the Chinese government. One does wonder where you think the least disagreeable form of government exists in the world today. You can't say a good thing about the British or the Americans, the Chinese are unacceptable totalitarians, the Thais irremediably corrupt. While I share your distaste for Americans personally, along with the British they do have the least worst form of government and one where, generally, the values of the Enlightenment shine through more often than not - clowns like Henry Cate and his "libertarianism" notwithstanding

Lunchtime O'Booze
September 2nd, 2008, 23:17
Tibet is a Hollywood's fantasy. It doesn't exist. Is the short answer. Not even the exiled Dalai Lama wants autonomy for the region which is made up of a vast area inhabited by millions and millions of Chinese and scattered small populations of Tibetan people, all covering a few provinces.

What might be a good idea was if Drepung got some sort of deal similar to the Vatican set up in Italy, and the Dalai Lama was allowed to return to take his rightful place over the puppet who was installed by the Chinese.

I once met the Dalia Lama briefly-with a famous athlete who had been called to officially met His Holiness. I came away high as kite-and so did the athlete. The Buddhist driver who gave us a lift said people often react like that. Of course with me if could have simply been a hangover but the athlete didn't drink !.

thought you might like to know that.

September 2nd, 2008, 23:36

I once met the Dalia Lama briefly-with a famous athlete who had been called to officially met His Holiness. I came away high as kite-and so did the athlete. The Buddhist driver who gave us a lift said people often react like that. Of course with me if could have simply been a hangover but the athlete didn't drink !.

Oh lordy, i had visions.

Do tell more! Im sure theres more.

September 3rd, 2008, 02:01
"As I said, I am far from a Samak fan, but I hope he wins the present "battle" despite that."

Wot a silly thing to hope for. One man has already died, was his life less important than this corrupt scum bag staying in office?

Wot a silly thing to say.

Irrespective of which "side" the man, aged 55, who apparently died of head injuries was on (allegedly "PAD leader Suriyasai Katasila said the 55-year-old dead man was not from his side"), or how important his life was, one of the two sides will come out of the conflict as the victor and this will be an indicator of which direction Thailand's future government will go. I happen to think that it is better fot the corrupt scum bags who were at least elected democratically to win than the corrupt scum bags who were not. If you think that is "a silly thing to hope for", then so be it.

September 3rd, 2008, 02:22
"As I said, I am far from a Samak fan, but I hope he wins the present "battle" despite that."

Irrespective of which "side" the man, aged 55, who apparently died of head injuries was on (allegedly "PAD leader Suriyasai Katasila said the 55-year-old dead man was not from his side"), or how important his life was, one of the two sides will come out of the conflict as the victor and this will be an indicator of which direction Thailand's future government will go. I happen to think that it is better fot the corrupt scum bags who were at least elected democratically to win than the corrupt scum bags who were not. If you think that is "a silly thing to hope for", then so be it.

I agree with you totally GF and fail to see how anyone could even consider siding with the party that were not elected democratically. If you ask me, it seems rather "silly", to wish for any outcome other than the current government ending up in this conflict as the eventual victors.

George.

September 3rd, 2008, 04:36
Back to the topic, the Bangkok Post editor opinion and I must say I agree:

"We strongly disagree with Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej's decision to declare a state of emergency as a means of ending the street demonstrations by the People's Alliance for Democracy. It is only another vain attempt to survive the political crisis he faces.
by Pattnapong Chantranontwong
Editor - Bangkok Post

Army chief Gen Anupong Paojinda, who heads the special emergency committee, deserves credit for stating clearly the army will step in only to prevent any further clashes between the People's Alliance for Democracy and the United Front of Democracy Against Dictatorship.

He said the continuing crisis is a political issue and should be solved by political processes, not by force.

The prime demand of the PAD is that Mr Samak step down; Mr Samak demands the PAD end its protest.

Mr Samak repeatedly proclaims the legitimacy of his government _ because it was elected.

It is true his People Power party won the most seats in the general election. But winning the election does not mean his government has a mandate to break the law.

Even disregarding the Election Commission's unanimous decision yesterday to recommend the dissolution of his party for election fraud, Mr Samak's cabinet has made several decisions considered to be in breach of the constitution. Even the qualifications of some of his cabinet members are doubtful.

The Constitution Court ruled that the joint communique with Phnom Penh on the Preah Vihear issue was a breach of the charter. The appointments of some people, allegedly involved in certain controversial cases, to the boards of Bank of Thailand and the Securities Exchange of Thailand are questionable. As are the PPP's efforts to amend the charter in favour of former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, and to help the party to avoid dissolution.

These moves are, in fact, not acceptable to the public. Although his government survived the censure debate in parliament, it does not mean it has done nothing wrong. It survived because his coalition has a large majority in the House. Even though we disagree with the PAD holding the country and the people to ransom _ by blocking the traffic, seizing Government House, closing three southern airports and planning strikes _ we agree that the PAD has every right to protest against the government.

However, if neither side agrees to a compromise then the crisis will be never-ending.

Mr Samak must admit he has committed many mistakes during his seven months in office, and they are enough for him to call it quits.

At the same time, the PAD must accept the principle of democracy. If Mr Samak steps down, his party still leads a coalition which controls the House and can legitimately form a new cabinet.

The other option is that Mr Samak dissolves the House and calls a general election. Again, the PAD must accept the outcome and let the winning party form a new government.

These options embody the democratic principle. We strongly disagree with any undemocratic options, be it a coup or the appointment of a non-elected government"

Lunchtime O'Booze
September 3rd, 2008, 21:07

Oh lordy, i had visions.

oh alright since you asked so nicely..the athelete was the Australian runner Cathy Freeman who was at some shop that was being opened and word came through that the Dali Lama wanted to meet an Aboriginal person..she wondered if she should go--I said do it , the hotel is just a hundred yards away..I ran beside her as she walked very fast and the meeting was over within one minute..but we both came away high as kites !!..( and I didn't even know Ms Freeman..I just gatecrashed the meeting )

September 3rd, 2008, 21:43
[quote=Cedric]Tibet is a Hollywood's fantasy. It doesn't exist. Is the short answer. Not even the exiled Dalai Lama wants autonomy for the region which is made up of a vast area inhabited by millions and millions of Chinese and scattered small populations of Tibetan people, all covering a few provinces.

Oh lordy, i had visions.

oh alright since you asked so nicely..the athelete was the Australian runner Cathy Freeman who was at some shop that was being opened and word came through that the Dali Lama wanted to meet an Aboriginal person..she wondered if she should go--I said do it , the hotel is just a hundred yards away..I ran beside her as she walked very fast and the meeting was over within one minute..but we both came away high as kites !!..( and I didn't even know Ms Freeman..I just gatecrashed the meeting )[/quote:66pbuzfu]

Damn - i was hoping for lycra shorts & bulges - oh wait!

Lunchtime O'Booze
September 4th, 2008, 21:33
"Damn - i was hoping for lycra shorts & bulges - oh wait! "

oh you dirty old thing. You are obviously thinking of that other Aussie runner-Matt Shirvington. Google his photo and then you will see licra shorts and bulges. And I'm told it resembles yet again that other Aussie ,actor Errol Flynn..had to be taped to his leg as it was so large it flapped about. :cyclopsani:

September 8th, 2008, 17:36

I agree with you totally GF and fail to see how anyone could even consider siding with the party that were not elected democratically. If you ask me, it seems rather "silly", to wish for any outcome other than the current government ending up in this conflict as the eventual victors.

George.

Its getting sillier and sillier. Democracy for democracies sake? Sometimes true democracy is only won through something as undemocratic as a populist revolt, just for one example?

Krazy4thai
May 1st, 2013, 14:18

Tourism accounts for only about 6.5% of Thailand's GDP; that figure is calculated using both domestic and international tourism. I have often heard comments about how the Thai economy relies so heavily on tourism; sure from our point of view as tourists it appears so. We see the service industries that cater to tourism. Admittedly if the estimated 22,000,000 tourists stopped coming many Thai people would be negatively impacted but the Thai economy wouldn't collapse.
Interestingly (I thought) the major events which tend to negatively affect tourists plans to visit Thailand, Such as tsunamis political unrest and flooding etc are relatively short lived.
With regard to the Muslims in the south, I personally believe their religious cultural beliefs tend to overshadow concerns about tourism or the desire to have tourists visit their part of Thailand..
Civil war??? hmmm, Seems to me that although Thai politics have seen upheavals from political Mal-contents, the Muslims are such a small minority in Thailand I don't believe they could be the catalyst for a civil war. Even in Myanmar the internal in fighting is caused because of large tribal populations with a history of animus. I'm not sure this situation applies to Thailand as the main tribal groups are minorities which have little or no effect on politics.

dab69
May 6th, 2013, 10:03
oh wow.

I thought this was a topic about this board

nevermind- my bad