PDA

View Full Version : SEcond visit to see KQ

krobbie
August 24th, 2008, 15:56
I went to see Kevin again on Wednesday. It was early out of bed at 6am as I wanted to get there for 9-10.30 visiting time so as not to impinge on Kevin's bf's visit in the afternoon.

Rush hour going from the start of the BTS at Saphan Thaksin to the last stop at MO Chit was a bit of a crush. Not a seat to be had. I was quite pleased to get in the cab at Mo Chit for the 15 minute ride to Klong Prem.

In a total reversal of my last visit the officer in charge of visiting was a bit abrasive. He said I could not leave the 2 books, newspaper and crosswords I had been cutting from the BKK Post for a week as Kevin had to write a letter to the "people upstairs" and then I could leave them.

It is very difficult to explain to a Thai Policeman that Kevin is not clairvoyant so he is unable to know what I have in my now sweaty paws. Please may I leave them for him? NO! Bugger that. There is nothing more final than a "NO" from a prison guard except myself. I decided to bide my time until I had seen Kevin.

As usual Kevin was scrubbed and looking squeaky clean. Visiting day is big news. Kevin's daily routine is to arise and wash/shower and while away the morning and sleep through the afternoon and write letters and read through the night and then get a little sleep. He finds this passes the time seemingly quicker than being awake through all the daylight hours.

His hair is great and is cut well, so I guess they have a decent barber in the building. He looks good but says he requires more exercise as he only has his room to manouver in. He has no recreational time but is hopeful that his request for some time in the gym or at least an exercise yard may bare fruit without lessening his need to be in the clean hospital wing.

By the time I had imparted some news, exchanged some information he required and handed over the phone to my partner for him to have some time to speak, than they pulled the bloody plug. Literally. We were in the middle of a sentence and snap, gone. He says you never know. The nice guard will let you know there is only a little time left but this one just flips the switch and the conversation is ended. There is only time then to press finger tips to the perspex before you all are herded out into the waiting area again. The total conversation time was exactly 20 minutes.

Okay ... time to tackle the officer again. Kevin explained why I should not to lose my temper with the guard but smile through my teeth but be adamant. I can be quite charming and relayed my apologies for being so stern with him but it was because I was going home to New Zealand in 2 days time and there was no time to waste as I would not be back again until December.

Grumpily he gestured the space in the grille to leave the books and other offerings. He checked these to make sure I wasn't trying to smuggle a pound cake with a file in it or some other escape assistance and with a wave of the hand I was dismissed. Well pooh to you to. At least I got the books across the counter and look forward to a rematch in December at which I will be sweetness and light.

All I can say is Kevin is holding up well in view of his situation. He is a string man emotionally but am sure he has his moments of desperation and aloneness. He is keenly aware of who holds the power though and is just as keen not to ruffle feathers and play by the the rules. This way his life currently is a little more bearable.

I took note of all who had messaged me or who wrote here and wanted me to say hello for them. He was heartened at the kind wishes. Good on you. You know who you are and the rest ... well I guess you have ascertained my thoughts on the detractors. Don't bother me with your petty pevishness. I ain't interested.

Cheers jinks. A job well done,
krobbie

August 24th, 2008, 16:04
As per my PM's to you Krobbie you are a gem of a man, I want to publicly thank you for taking the time to twice visit a 'Friend in Need' during your valuble holiday time.

Take care.

krobbie
August 24th, 2008, 16:17
... no worries. It was very BIG on my agenda before I even left NZ to go see my friend. No hardship at all.

I might tell you that I got home to a letter Kevin had written me and posted the day before my first visit. I am still rereading it avidly.

For those that wish they could do something more than wish Kevin well ... you can. Just write.

Here is the address:

KQ (full name here)
Medical Corrections Hospital
5th Floor
33/2 Ngamwongwan
Jatuchak, Lad Yao
Bangkok 10900
Thailand

You must also write your name and address on the back of the envelope (legibly) or else the mail, most certainly, WILL NOT get through. Even with the wrong address he still got my letters.

I am able to send books also if I provide my passport details along with my address when I do so. No trouble. Kevin will read anything right now, but a crossword from the Times or wherever would be great. He loves them, as you who know him will be aware.

Cheers
krobbie

jinks
August 24th, 2008, 17:27
I have placed a note in our calendar.

Let's make his life a little brighter......

In December send him a Christmas Card.

August 24th, 2008, 17:54
Jinks wrote: I have placed a note in our calendar. Let's make his life a little brighter...... In December send him a Christmas Card.

Well said Jinks, but better still, to boost Kevin's morale, if you have the time send him a card every month.

Wesley
August 24th, 2008, 19:00
Excellent, Krobbie

Thanks for your kindness, surely you are the kind of freind everone would want to know.

I will see him in a few months.

Wes

August 24th, 2008, 19:18
You know who you are and the rest ... well I guess you have ascertained my thoughts on the detractors. Don't bother me with your petty pevishness. I ain't interested.

Krobbie, every time you report on Mr. Quill it comes with a postscript alluding to "detractors". Yet I never see anyone adding anything but praise for your efforts in visiting, and sending on their best regards. Who, exactly are these bogey men of whom you speak, and where are they? Do you normally see hobgoblins lurking in the shadows, or just when it comes to Mr. Quill?

KQ (full name here)

What necessitates the secret code? Is "Kevin Quill" one of those names that must not be spoken? Seems a little silly, don't you think?

I wish Mr. Quill my best.

Wesley
August 24th, 2008, 19:37
I think I keep you off ignore, just to see how low you will go.

Wes

August 24th, 2008, 19:40
OK, Wes; I'll try not to use too many big words.

August 24th, 2008, 20:00
Dear all,

I haven't posted on here for a while, although I have checked the forums at least once a week. Again, i would just like to thank you all for your continued support, but feel i should say a special thank you to Krobbie for taking time out of his holiday to see my Dad-I know it will have meant a lot to him. I have received 2 letters from him this week and he seems to be bearing up well, just extremely bored. Thanks also to Jinks for ensuring that the past 2 threads about my Dad haven't been hijacked.

August 24th, 2008, 21:39
Aaron,

I am quite sure your fears are unfounded, and that everyone here is united in support of your father.

All the best.

Chao Na

August 24th, 2008, 22:25
Chao Na wrote; "I am quite sure your fears are unfounded, and that everyone here is united in support of your father"

Thanks to Jinks the posts that you are reading are in support of Kevin Quill (KQ) but if you had been following previous posts since Kevin was sent down then you would realise that not everyone posting is on his side, in fact quite the opposite! I would think that Jinks has been busy keeping Krobbies post about the wellbeing of Kevin just that which is greatly appreciated by his family and friends.

krobbie
August 25th, 2008, 18:11
As we are all aware ... there are trolls around many corners and they certainly would have been lurking on this topic if it was not for the vigilance of some here. I thank him/them.

jinks great idea to send Christmas cards at that time and as sanook suggests write anyway. He will be stoked.

Aaron says, his enemy is boredom. Same same everyday. A card from and an opportunity to write to his friends will be a welcome diversion, I'm sure.

Wes, he will be very happy to see you I am sure.

If anyone wishes, you may PM me in regards KQ.

Cheers
krobbie

krobbie
August 28th, 2008, 17:28
I have had a couple of PM's asking for directions on how to get to Klong Prem. Here is a cut and paste from my first post re: KQ

Take BTS to Mo Chit (last BTS stop where you would get off if going to the weekend market), jump in a cab and ask for Klong Prem. When you come through the main gate get the cab to go to the right, as the hospital is down that road. It is about 150 yards down the road and is the newish 5 story building on your left. You cannot mistake it as it looks just like what it is ... a small hospital.

Alight the cab and go to the far left of the building as this is the entrance for visitors to the hopistal.

Visiting is Wedeneday 9-10.30am and 1-2.30pm. Be on time (or 15 minutes early) or you will certainly not get to see him.

Show your passport to the guard behind the screen and he will take notes, then go and sit down. They will go get KQ and when he is in position they will call his name (along with others) and a group of you will then go through a gate which is locked behind you. You will talk to Kevin through glass and by telephone for not much more than 20 minutes.

Take a bottle of water when you get on the BTS as the dispensing machine at the prison hospital is dodgy and inconsistent. A bit of something to snack is also a good idea as there is no food or snacks to buy once you get there.

The BTS trip will cost no more than 60 baht and the cab about 80.

Here also is the BTS map just in case you need it.

http://www.bts.co.th/en/map.asp

Happy hiking guys,
krobbie