PDA

View Full Version : A Good Contractor

August 24th, 2008, 07:13
Recently I needed to find a good and reliable contractor to correct some serious problems (water leaks, unfinished walls, warped floors, etc.) at a house in Pattaya. I went to a Thai friend of many years, a well-respected property owner, and he introduced me to his contractor, who agreed to help me.

This contractor turned out to be an excellent choice. He fixed all the problems at a reasonable price and, amazingly, on schedule. Therefore, I want to help him by recommending him via this posting. If anyone needs to find a good contractor, please PM me and I will be happy to pass on his name and number.

Also, I found a handsome Thai guy (BF of one of this forum's posters) who built a beautiful koi pond (with cascading waterfall), and I am pleased to recommend his work as well.

And just to preempt the always-suspicious lurkers here, I have no financial interest in either recommendation. I'm just trying to pass along useful information to those who might need these skills.

August 24th, 2008, 07:34
Good help is always hard to find in Thailand. Some people in Bangkok might remember the Englishman George who was maintenance manager at the BBB Group. He's now an independent contractor with his own team of Thai workers. You can often find him lurking at Chester's Grill in Silom Complex, doing the crossword, and I believe the management of @Richard's would be able to put you in touch if you needed some work done (he did their renovations, I'm told)

August 24th, 2008, 08:31
Having had my share of aggro with contractors here in the Land of Smiles, I can tell you that someone who can deliver work on budget and on time is a rarity.

Recently a friend in Pattaya hired a contractor to renovate his home and the work was not completed to his satisfaction even after the contractor took 3 months longer than agreed and went 40% over budget.

Another contractor was hired and the work was redone in mostly a marginally acceptable manner. Last I heard, the homeowner threw up (his hands) and said that marginal performance was OK because he couldn't be bothered looking for perfection anymore as he knew it was going to be a futile search.

He said the entire process was like sticking needles in his eyes every day.

Both contractors came highly recommended.

Commercial projects are even more of a disaster. I think that O'Brien's turned into a major fiasco partially because Googie's renovation contractor diddled around for so long that Googie missed the vast majority of the last high season - which he was counting on for revenue and profits.

(It looks like Googie was under capitalized as well, leading him to try to offload both restaurants at what seems like premium prices.)

August 24th, 2008, 11:53
(It looks like Googie was under capitalized as well, leading him to try to offload both restaurants at what seems like premium prices.)He needn't worry - there'll be some sucker along soon on his first or second visit to Thailand whose cock has fallen love with the place, looking for some business that will enable him to stay and indulge its every whim

August 25th, 2008, 00:39
A good contractor is a pearl beyond price, in any country!

lo-so
August 25th, 2008, 09:09
Just a further endorsement for George he is TOK LAE DEE - cheap but good! I found him straightforward lacking the umms and ahhs that are usually the precursors employed by builders/plumbers etc (men who do) before being fleeced with an outrageous quote. He pretty much tells it as it is.