PDA

View Full Version : Driving to surin

markie1
August 20th, 2008, 13:27
I will be driving to surin in a couple of weeks from pataya , can any body recomend a good map to buy ,and tell me the most direct root to take .
thanks

August 20th, 2008, 13:35
I will be driving to surin in a couple of weeks from pataya , can any body recomend a good map to buy ,and tell me the most direct root to take. ThanksYou're taking a root with you from Pattaya?

markie1
August 20th, 2008, 13:39
I will be driving to surin in a couple of weeks from pataya , can any body recomend a good map to buy ,and tell me the most direct root to take. ThanksYou're taking a root with you from Pattaya?

Yes i will be setting off from pataya, just wondered what the best root would be .thanks

August 20th, 2008, 13:49

Yes i will be setting off from pataya, just wondered what the best root would be .thanks

Tastes vary but some of the Wild West Boys are a great root

globalwanderer
August 20th, 2008, 15:06
The 'route' I would use would be the 314 to Korat and from there to Surin

August 20th, 2008, 15:27

Markie1, in case you're not "getting" the teasing you're being given: "root" is Aussie for f*ck.

What you meant, I *think*, is "route" -- you want the most direct ROUTE to take, no?

(That's it folks. Post #1,000 and I'm outta here. So long, bkk_gwm. Look for my new & improved board name, soon!)

Beachlover
August 20th, 2008, 15:41
why are you outta here after 1000?

markie1
August 20th, 2008, 15:51

Markie1, in case you're not "getting" the teasing you're being given: "root" is Aussie for f*ck.

What you meant, I *think*, is "route" -- you want the most direct ROUTE to take, no?

(it folks. Post #1,000 and I'm outta here. So long, bkk_gwm. Look for my new & improved board name, soon!) Thats is correct ROUTE

I am looking for the BEST ROUTE to Surin from Pataya.

August 20th, 2008, 20:35
The best route is via Kabinburi and Pakthongchai.

Here it is on a map:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&saddr=P ... e=UTF8&z=8 (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&saddr=Pattaya,+Thailand&daddr=Surin,+Thailand&hl=en&geocode=&mra=ls&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=46.409192,79.101563&ie=UTF8&z=8)

TrongpaiExpat
August 20th, 2008, 20:45
Need a fold up map, I like the one published by Michelin. There's another in book format by Roadway.

Anyone know if you can rent a GPS?

markie1
August 20th, 2008, 21:05
Need a fold up map, I like the one published by Michelin. There's another in book format by Roadway.

Anyone know if you can rent a GPS?GPS would be good if you could get it ,let me know

markie1
August 20th, 2008, 21:05
The best route is via Kabinburi and Pakthongchai.

Here it is on a map:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&saddr=P ... e=UTF8&z=8 (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&saddr=Pattaya,+Thailand&daddr=Surin,+Thailand&hl=en&geocode=&mra=ls&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=46.409192,79.101563&ie=UTF8&z=8)thank you

August 20th, 2008, 22:59
The route suggested maybe the shortest in distance, but you will be driving a lot on 2 lane roads that can slow you down - plus the always danger of passing slower vehicles - not to mention the fear of going around a curve or up a hill and meeting a bus or truck in your lane that is passing other vehicles. It was the route I took a few years back on my first drive to the bf's hometown -- took 7 hours not to mention getting stopped twice by your ever friendly highway police.

I now take a slightly longer route in distance, but much shorter in time -- 4 1/2 hours if I don't stop with the last hour on Hwy 201 going North off of Hwy 2 (Saraburi to Nakon Ratchasima), which is the only 2 lane road I travel using this route. I noted that on the map (linked in previous post) that Hwy 24 exits to the right (South) off of Hwy 2 at about the same junction where I usually go North on Hwy 201. From Pattaya to that Junction, non stop, takes me about 3 1/2 hours. The savings in time comes from the fact that the roads from Pattaya to where I turn off Hwy 2 are divided and have from 2 to 6 lanes in each direction -- also, another plus, I have taken this route numerous times over the past 5 years and rarely encountered a highway police checkpoint - the few times that I have, I have driven through without being pulled over.

As I mentioned the following route will save you an hour and a half to two hours, but you will have 4 toll plazas with the fee being 30 Baht at each -- the 120 Baht is well worth it IMO for both the saving in time and the better roads:

l. Go North on Sukhumvit Road (Hwy 3) and exit Right on Hwy 36 (to Rayong).

2. Proceed on Hwy 36 until you see the exit for Hwy 7 (Motorway to Bangkok) -- exit left onto Hwy 7
(this road is generally 3 lanes in each direction - be alert later on for a left exit to the tollway - still Hwy 7 - there will be 2 toll plazas -- after passing the exit to the new Airport, you will soon be on the outskirts of Bangkok -- watch for a sign for Hwy 9 Outer Ring Road. It generally takes me about 90 minutes to get to this point.

3. Exit Left onto Hwy 9 interchange and keep right to enter Hwy 9 going toward Bang Pa In - there will also be 2 toll plazas on this road. It usually takes about 30 minutes to circle around Bangkok on this road.

4. Exit right onto Hwy 1 to Saraburi. This road is divided with 3 to 4 lanes in each direction. Just as you are entering the outskirts of Saraburi there will be an exit for Hwy 2 to Nakon Ratchasima (Khorat). This segment, if I recall correctly takes about 35 to 45 minutes.

5. Exit onto Hwy 2 -- this Highway is divided with 3 lanes in each direction -- sometimes 4. Continue until you reach the Hwy 24 junction going South (can't provide any info on the rest of the route). This segment should take about 45 to 50 minutes.