PDA

View Full Version : Sim card validity

March 12th, 2006, 14:17
I seem to get different answers from my thai friends when I tell them about this problem. I bought a Dtac sim card a few months ago and always return to the country before the top up expires or I get a friend who's going there to top up my card. However, this time, my top up expires in end April and I will be only be in Thailand at the end of May. What will happened to my sim card? Will it get automatically useless if I don't top it up by a certain time and I will need to buy a new sim card? Someone told me that the card will still be ok to top up till up to 3 months and another guy told me I will need to buy a new card. Who is correct?

March 12th, 2006, 14:21
A while ago, I asked at a DTAC shop, and they said there is a grace period after the expiration date before the SIM card is invalid, but I don't recall the length of the grace period. If I'm by a DTAC shop any time soon, and if I remember (aging gracefully, I am I am), I will inquire on your behalf.

March 16th, 2006, 15:19
A while ago, I asked at a DTAC shop, and they said there is a grace period after the expiration date before the SIM card is invalid, but I don't recall the length of the grace period. If I'm by a DTAC shop any time soon, and if I remember (aging gracefully, I am I am), I will inquire on your behalf.

Thanks bkk gwm......hope u still remember to check it out for me. Khop khun mak mak!!

billyhouston
March 16th, 2006, 20:50
I use 12call in Thailand and can only speak for them but I'm pretty sure DTAC will be the same.

When the validity expires (with 12call Bht300 buys one month etc.) the number is deactivated, but that does not mean it is lost. Before leaving LoS I always buy a top up card ready for my airport arrival next trip. When arriving at the airport I simply phone in the top up code and the number is reactivated. With 12call when your validity runs out, you lose any credit balance never to regain it (thanks again Mr Thaksin).

In Lao PDR my M-Phone card works similarly except that, when I reactivate on my next visit, any credit balance left over from earlier is added to the top up credit I purchase.

This way you keep the same number.

Billy

yaraboy
March 17th, 2006, 01:29
Billy do you know how long you can go in both Thailand and Lao without topping up and still retain number?
When I arrived back in Lao after about 6 months my friend gave me back same SIM card which was still valid.I just assumed that he had topped it up........but from what you say maybe not

billyhouston
March 17th, 2006, 03:59
I do not know for certain, but can see no reason why it should not be retained indefinitely.

Billy

March 17th, 2006, 05:12
I have no idea what "top up" is. I just buy a new sim card each time I go to LOS, only 300 baht anyway.