PDA

View Full Version : What do you do about insurance?

August 18th, 2008, 14:26
My better half will shortly be moving to Phuket (he is eastern European) to work.
Obviously holiday insurance won't fit the bill - so what should he do for medical cover etc?
Thanks guys.

August 18th, 2008, 14:34
... so what should he do for medical cover etc?
Thanks guys.

Try this link:
BUPA Thailand (http://www.bupathailand.com/)
They do personal and company medical care packages for 1 year periods.

August 18th, 2008, 15:25
Thanks Bwana.

Damn - I didn't realise that insurance was so complicated. So many options! I'm from the UK where there is a (relatively) good service for next to free, he is from Russia where there is a crap service for lots of money...

Any recommendations for what would be a decent package at a reasonable price for a 30something in good health (who has promised me that he will not go more than 100' near a motorbike)???

August 18th, 2008, 15:35
... by me (of course) but there's at least one good thing associated with Pattaya - the Pattaya Ex-pat web site, which covers this topic and much, much more - http://www.pattayaexpatsclub.com/

MARK
August 18th, 2008, 16:13
Join pattaya expats club

Then join the health insurance thay have you recive 50% discount apx 26.000bht per year.

August 18th, 2008, 22:02
Any half-decent employer should make insurance arrangements for their expatriate staff.

If your bf's employer is not half-decent, I'd suggest not worrying about it. The cost of health care in Thailand is so inexpensive that it hardly makes insurance worth troubling yourself over, especially for a limited stay.

August 19th, 2008, 23:11
The cost of health care in Thailand is so inexpensive that it hardly makes insurance worth troubling yourself over, especially for a limited stay.

If he is coming to work a "limited stay" is not what he is planning on; anyone with no health insurance is probably already brain dead.

join pattaya expats club. Then join the health insurance thay have you recive 50% discount apx 26.000bht per year.

Spoonfed99:"My better half will shortly be moving to Phuket"

Even if Pattaya were Phuket, the PEC does not get you a 50% discount!! For someone aged 31-35, even the top BUPA coverage (Diamond) is under 17,000 baht.

August 21st, 2008, 12:55
www.pattayaexpats.com (http://www.pattayaexpats.com) is the web site for the other expats club which is know as the Pattaya City Expats Club. They offer the exact same group health policy. Both offer big savings for those under 59.5 years of age. You must be a member of the respective club, but not necessarily an expat.

August 21st, 2008, 22:17
There are two expats clubs - Pattaya City Expats Club http://www.pattayacityexpatsclub.com and Pattaya Expats Club http://www.pattayaexpatsclub.com. Both offer a group health insurance policy - I believe both are through AA Insurance and are probably very similar. You have to be under 59 1/2 years of age to qualify and, as I understand it, the coverage ceases when you are 65 years of age.

Since I have my own USA insurance, I have not checked into either, but the question I would want answered before taking coverage from either one is what happens when I turn 65? I know there are "individual" policies available for those over 65 at much higher premiums. However, Thai Insurance companies do not cover preexisting conditions. So, if I took out the insurance and then had treatment during the time I was covered, would this (these) conditions then be excluded if I later obtained an "individual" policy, especially from another insurance company upon reaching the age of 65? If not, then it might be better to pay a higher premium for an individual policy to begin with so that anything that comes up after being insured continues to be covered so long as you stay with the same insurance company. Also, those group policies have limited total coverage, which in the event of a very serious condition, might not cover all the cost.

My bf is covered by BUPA. When we initially got the policy, it was one of the plans that had lower coverage. While on a visit to Hong Kong, he had a seizure fell and hit his head. An ambulance trip and several hours at the hospital - fortunately not too expensive. Upon return to Thailand, we submitted the bill to BUPA - that is when we discovered that the particular policy he had did not provide coverage outside of Thailand. At the next premium anniversary, he renewed but changed to a higher premium plan that does provide coverage when out of the country. Before getting coverage under the new plan, he had to sign an acknowledgment that the seizure was a preexisting condition that would be covered under the lower limits of the old policy.

August 22nd, 2008, 01:02
the question I would want answered before taking coverage from either one is what happens when I turn 65?

You pay a high rate for anyone who will take you - some will not, and some who do will not continue to cover you beyond 70.

if I took out the insurance and then had treatment during the time I was covered, would this (these) conditions then be excluded if I later obtained an "individual" policy, especially from another insurance company upon reaching the age of 65?

Yes (they would be excluded). You save 5-10% on what you would pay individually, but in the long term (beyond 65 / 70) this "saving" could prove very expensive.

August 22nd, 2008, 01:44
[/quote]"anyone with no health insurance is probably already brain dead."[quote]

More misleading advice from the world's expert on everything. Everything has a price, and quite often the price of health insurance isn't worth paying. A lot of the cost, especially for older people, covers conditions like cancer, and I suspect most europeans would go home and get that treated on their free health service. Any substantial pre-existing condition would also make the cost of health insurance sky rocket.

For many, accident insurance would be more worthwhile than health insurance. For most in the 40-65 age range, the thing most likely to land you with a large unavoidable hospital bill, is a bad road accident. However, to get the right policy you have to navigate a minefield of exclusions - or unwanted extras at extra cost.

Me, I'm among the legions of Gone Flashing's brain dead. I pay my own medical costs, and look very carefully when crossing the road.

August 22nd, 2008, 02:27
I'm among the legions of Gone Flashing's brain dead. I pay my own medical costs, and look very carefully when crossing the road.

If you think that will help you when visiting somewhere like Thailand, then you really are brain dead.

If someone has health insurance before they have a "substantial pre-existing condition" then it is already covered to the level you are insured at and there are no sky-rocketing costs - these come in when you consider it is not worth having until you think you are old enough to need it.

Not "expert" advice, or "mis-leading" - simply informed, which homesick has already demonstrated he is not. Yawn.

August 22nd, 2008, 04:49
If someone has health insurance before they have a "substantial pre-existing condition" then it is already covered

I know there's a lot of competition, but I think this may be the dumbest statement ever made on this board. I enjoyed it a lot.

August 22nd, 2008, 06:11
Thanks Bwana.

Damn - I didn't realise that insurance was so complicated. So many options! I'm from the UK where there is a (relatively) good service for next to free, he is from Russia where there is a crap service for lots of money...

Any recommendations for what would be a decent package at a reasonable price for a 30something in good health (who has promised me that he will not go more than 100' near a motorbike)???

The UK service costs us a fortune in taxes AND all the future interest we will be paying on Gordon's current borrowings.
Also whilst it may be good relative to some "developing countries", its damn poor compared with many "developed" countries.

In the experience of many family & friends, the diagnosis from the British GP tends to be an educated guess based on a few questions, rather than the analysis of scientific data from tests & scans that one will receive in countries like Japan or Germany.
Therefore one may be fobbed off with inappropriate tablets for months on end, whilst the doctor & patient are totally unaware of little things like an advancing untreated cancer.
So patients miss crucial treatment for many months.

August 23rd, 2008, 07:41
Guys, thanks - you have convinced me that it is indeed money well spent.