PDA

View Full Version : Gifts for Thai Friends (encore)

francois
August 15th, 2008, 17:19
Another idee for those who want to bring a gift from home to a Thai friend. Baseball caps. Each time I visit Thailand my favorite baseball cap goes flying to another's head. Many caps can be had by googling "baseball caps, caps, vintage caps,etc"
Major league, minor league, negro league, cuban league, colleges, cities, companies and on and on. They make unique gifts if you "customize" with initial of your fav thai friend. Easy to find a cap with the correct initial.
Francois

bing
August 15th, 2008, 19:23
While I have passed on more than a few baseball caps, I still think you will find Levi jeans waist 28 to 30 and short length is the gift preferred by most of the guys.

August 15th, 2008, 20:56
DELETED

August 15th, 2008, 22:48
..and perfume.

btw. I have found it cheaper to buy the Levis in departments stores around Bangkok than from my homecountry...and then it is not the same, you did not bring them with you around the earth.

August 15th, 2008, 22:58
This is one which I have just discovered on flickr. Flickr (http://www.flicker.com) has recently started a joint venture with a slick company called QOOP. If you upload photos to the Flickr website, they can then be used to make a wide variety of things I have never seen before -- such as a customized calendar with one of YOUR photos (or HIS photos) for every month, coffee mugs, photobooks (perfect bound -- they may be replacing the old-fashioned photo album) etc. I ordered a calendar and a coffee mug and was really happy with the results.

Best of all, you don't have to get on an airplane to buy a really exotic present!

bing
August 16th, 2008, 03:34
Sure I get them ( Levi Jeans) in the USA and bring them all the way to Pattaya. That leaves room for some new shirts and things to bring back in the luggage. The question of gifts in general was the purpose of this posting. My observation as to why one would give a gift to anyone is that the person getting the gift is a person I hold in high regard. If the gift is perfect, so much the better, but even if it lacks the perfection of what the person would have wanted, it is the statement of caring for the other that sings out. Knowing that the gift comes from a caring heart makes me the giver, a happy camper. A few dollars well spent a few times a year sounds good to me.

thrillbill
August 16th, 2008, 13:40
-lipstick for your ladyboys ...
Protein supplements for my macho BF.

francois
August 16th, 2008, 22:32
The question of gifts in general was the purpose of this posting. My observation as to why one would give a gift to anyone is that the person getting the gift is a person I hold in high regard. If the gift is perfect, so much the better, but even if it lacks the perfection of what the person would have wanted, it is the statement of caring for the other that sings out. Knowing that the gift comes from a caring heart makes me the giver, a happy camper. A few dollars well spent a few times a year sounds good to me.

Right on Bing! The reason I mentioned the baseball caps is that you can find one with your friend's initial or initials and many designs are truly unique. Even found one with my first and last initial, name of a city in Texas/USA! Hint, first initial = F.

Francois

thaiguest
August 17th, 2008, 10:03
Another idee for those who want to bring a gift from home to a Thai friend. Baseball caps. Each time I visit Thailand my favorite baseball cap goes flying to another's head. Many caps can be had by googling "baseball caps, caps, vintage caps,etc"
Major league, minor league, negro league, cuban league, colleges, cities, companies and on and on. They make unique gifts if you "customize" with initial of your fav thai friend. Easy to find a cap with the correct initial.
Francois

And to be absolutely sure your gift will not have an ambiguous reception the following beginners' guide to watches ( always welcome gifts) may be helpful;
ROLEX, CARTIER, TAG HEUER, BREITLING, RADO, RAYMOND WEIL, GUCCI.

August 17th, 2008, 16:16
This is one which I have just disfcovered on flickr. Flickr (http://www.flicker.com) has recently started a joint venture with a slick company called QOOP. !

The corrected url is flickr