PDA

View Full Version : 90 day report, An islolated insident?

TrongpaiExpat
August 14th, 2008, 22:58
It was my understanding that under the 90 reporting, if you leave Thailand and return the 90 days starts from your new return date. I did several 90 day reports this way and never had a problem until yesterday. At Suan Phlu Immigration, Bangkok, the 90 day window lady took one look at the report by date on the white 90 day receipt page and said, you late, you pay fine, 2000 Baht. I pointed out the new arrival card date and they would not look at it, you pay fine.

I was not the only one. Every third or forth person in line was getting the same. There must have been 30 or 40 people holding fine call numbers for the fine window. One farang was banging his fist on the table as they ignored him as he was trying to point out a date in his passport and another stormed out cursing, only to return realizing they had his passport. Another one got dramatic, turned around, put up his arms and said, "just shoot me".

All the disgruntled farangs congregated in the back and mumbled to each other. All sorts of what if were thrown around and one said I going to look for a supervisor and get some answers, he never came back.

So, a temporary new interpretation of the 90 day report, an actual change or just a rouge new crew on duty , I don't know. This is the first time that I ever notice anyone getting fined at this window. It used to be easy fast and free.

From now on, I'll report on the date on the form but if I am out of Thailand on that date, I'm not sure what to do.

PeterUK
August 14th, 2008, 23:45
or just a rouge new crew on duty

Oh no, not one of those heavily-made-up poofter crews, they're the worst. Seriously though, I've never heard of that either. I hope you're right that it was a one-off.

August 15th, 2008, 01:40
My 90 day report date was due on my last trip out of Thailand. Upon returning, I did the 90 day report and asked if it was necessary? No answer - just a smile and I was given a new date 90 days report date. I did this because I had heard that when you come back into Thailand you have to report to Immigration within 2 days. This is in Pattaya and in future I will play safe and report asap after my arrival.

August 15th, 2008, 03:30
the tourist visa that is obtainable upon entry to Thailand, then it is my understanding that you are allowed 90 days in any 6 month period to stay in country, irrespective of when you enter Thailand. I don't think your 90 days starts from each and every time you enter Thailand.

There is an example at the bottom of the web page of the Thai Embassy.

http://www.thaiconsul-uk.com/pdfs/Aa%20 ... ations.pdf (http://www.thaiconsul-uk.com/pdfs/Aa%20%20Visa%20Regulations.pdf)

Narakmak
August 15th, 2008, 05:09
The topic is about the 90 day address report to a local immigration office people who are here on O visas/extensions must do every 90 days they are in Thailand. Not related to the topic WhiteDesire is talking about. That would be a big change if they are not resetting the starting date if you leave Thailand. I am in this situation right now and I certainly didn't report after arriving back so it will still be a few months before I know if this change is happening in Pattaya. I doubt it actually.

August 15th, 2008, 08:30
I did my 90 day report at Suan Plu two weeks ago. As I've been abroad twice this year, I had no report receipt from last time, and have not reported for about 6 months. I had no problems, and was in and out quickly. Immigration do have a "help line" number, so it may be worth checking to see if local rules have changed. Apparently in Jomtien, they are requiring utility bills or other evidence of your address, so we know rules vary from place to place, and time to time.

Same for me at the beginning of this month, same place. I did not even show them the previous 90 day receipt just gave them my passport with the new arrival card and they took the 90 days from that new arrival date and then gave me a stamp for the next 90 days.

August 15th, 2008, 08:32
Since hummingturd has christened me a Thai citizen, I will obviously no longer have to make any further visits to Suan Plu. I'm very relieved.

August 15th, 2008, 08:50
Last year I was supposed to report on the 26th of December. I stated that I was leaving the country on the 30th of December. Immigration in Sri Racha stated: No problem Sir, just a few days!!

After my return on the 6th of January I went to the 90 day report on the 4th of April.

The Immigration people are interpretating an unclear rule regarding the reports:
on arrival in Thailand a "departure card" will be stamped and stapled in your passport. If you arrive on a long-stay visa, you either have to make a visa-run or report to some Immigration every 90 days.
YOU don't have to report at Immigration within 24/48 hours, but your landlord has to!!!

From the date the "departure card" is stamped, the 90 days will start to count. If you're leaving the country in the meantime, and you return, you'll a new "departure card" and from the date of the new "departure card" the 90 days will count.

The 90 day report is only a way to verify that you are ACTUALLY in Thailand and where you stay. If you're abroad you don't have to report.
The best thing is, if you're leaving the country before the 90-day period is over, REMOVE the slip of form TM47 - FORM FOR ALIEN TO NOTIFY OF STAYING LONGER THAN 90 DAYS - from your passport, since it will be replaced by a new "departure card" upon return to Thailand.

Smiles
August 15th, 2008, 10:39
the tourist visa that is obtainable upon entry to Thailand, then it is my understanding that you are allowed 90 days in any 6 month period to stay in country, irrespective of when you enter Thailand. I don't think your 90 days starts from each and every time you enter Thailand.

Oh dear. WD honey, the topic here is I believe about non-immigrant 12 month retirement (long stay) visa and the requirement to do 90 day reporting. Who said anything about Tourist Visa?
One of these days you may actually understand the heart of any given topic. Certainly it's never happened yet. (sigh ...)

Cheers ...

August 15th, 2008, 15:59
In the past, I have reported my address to Pattaya Immigration 90 days after reentering Thailand without regard to the next reporting date shown on the TM47 copy that was previously stapled into my passport. In those cases, I removed the old TM47 form before reporting my address at 90 days from my reentry. My reports were accepted without any problems.

My latest address reporting on August 13 was also 90 days after my returning from a trip to the USA on May 15th. However, this time I left the old TM47 slip in the passport because when I renewed my 12 month retirement visa on June 12th, the lady Immigration Police Captain noted the reporting date on the TM47 slip, scratched through it, and inserted the August 13 date as the next reporting date. (regarding providing a copy of a utility bill or some other evidence showing your name and current address, it wasn't asked for, but the Immigration officer was stapling a slip of paper onto the TM47 form saying that it would be required for the next report -- I had a copy with me and asked if she wanted it - she said yes, took the copy and told me to bring the same thing next time -- it was a copy of my CAT ADSL invoice receipt).

As to the incident reported by this thread, I can only guess that it was new and under trained staff -- the following appears on the Thai Immigration website regarding the 90 day address reporting (link provided) - read down to the bottom where the note states If a foreigner leaves the country and re-enters, the day count starts at 1 in every case

Also, if you want to download copies of the TM47 or other Immigration forms (in Word and PDF format), go to http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php?page=download

Source: http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php?page=90days

Notification of staying in the Kingdom over 90 days
1. The foreigner makes the notification in person, or
2. The foreigner authorises another person to make the notification, or
3. The foreigner makes the notification by registered mail.
4. The notification must be made within 7 days before or after the period of 90 days expires.
5. The first application for extension of stay by the foreigner is equivalent to the notification of staying in the Kingdom over 90 days.
Offices accepting notification:
1. Counter 3, Immigration Bureau Office, Soi Suanphlu, Bangkok
2. Visa extension units, Ratchada Centre (BOI)
3. Immigration offices throughout the country
Notification by registered mail
1. Copy of all passport pages (up to the latest arrival stamp in the Kingdom or latest visa stamp)
2. Copy of arrival/departure card TM. 6 (front and back)
3. Previous notifications of staying over 90 days (if any)
4. Completely filled in and signed notification form TM. 47
5. Envelope with 5 Baht stamp affixed and return address of foreigner for the officer in charge to send back the lower part of form TM. 47 after having received the notification. This part must be kept for reference and for future notifications of staying over 90 days.
6. The above mentioned documents must be sent by registered mail and the receipt of the registration kept by the foreigner.
Send the mail before the renewal date 7 days to
90 DAYS REGISTRATION, ROOM 206
IMMIGRATION BUREAU,
507 SOI SUANPLU,SOUTH SATHORN RD.,
THUNGMAHAMEK SATHORN
BANGKOK. 10120
Note
тАв The notification of staying in the Kingdom over 90 days is in no way equivalent to a visa extension.
тАв If a foreigner staying in the kingdom over 90 days without notifying the Immigration Bureau or notifying the Immigration Bureau later than the set period, a fine of 2,000.- Baht will be collected. If a foreigner who did not make the notification of staying over 90 days is arrested, he will be fined 4,000.- Baht.
тАв If a foreigner leaves the country and re-enters, the day count starts at 1 in every case.
тАв For details contact 0-2285-5142, 0-2287-3101-10 ext.2262, 2263

TrongpaiExpat
August 15th, 2008, 19:45
Thanks, I printed all that and will attach it to my TM47. I should have removed the old TM47 and made them search for the new entry date.

I don't know if anyone else left in the grumbling fine line left the TM47 in or out of the passbook.

I am sure this was just on of those TIT moments that keeps live interesting.

By the way, I have read reports on Thai visa that the Bangkok Immigrations does not accept those downloaded forms. I downloaded the TM47 and compared to one given to me at the desk, the font on the download is a little different and it's missing the dotted lines between what you fill in and what they give you back.

Smiles
August 15th, 2008, 20:09
" ... By the way, I have read reports on Thai visa that the Bangkok Immigrations does not accept those downloaded forms... "
Downloadable forms available on the official Thai Immigration Dept website in .pdf format . . . . and NOT acceptable when filled in and presented at the Thai Immigration office?

I love Thailand so much!!!

(Just to add to the Thai-ism ... the same forms are also available on the Thai Consulate General's office website in Vancouver. Not only accepted, but one is encouraged (on the site) to use them).

Cheers ...

Geezer
August 15th, 2008, 23:10
A couple of years ago I picked up an extra 90 day form at immigration, scanned it, filled it out in blue on the computer, and saved it.

Every 90 days I print a copy, and date and sign it My boy-friend takes it to immigration where they say they prefer it, as it makes their job easier.

August 16th, 2008, 00:09
Smiles: That may vary from location to location. I know that Jomtien will accept them, BUT... If it is a two-sided form, you MUST print it out as a two-sided form, and not two sheets of paper. Some of the northern Thailand Immigrations offices won't accept any of the downloaded forms. You must use their custom form which only differs from the downloaded one in that it has their location name/address pre-printed on it. Is that also the case in Hua Hin?

August 16th, 2008, 15:30
Thanks, I printed all that and will attach it to my TM47. I should have removed the old TM47 and made them search for the new entry date.

I don't know if anyone else left in the grumbling fine line left the TM47 in or out of the passbook.

By the way, I have read reports on Thai visa that the Bangkok Immigrations does not accept those downloaded forms. I downloaded the TM47 and compared to one given to me at the desk, the font on the download is a little different and it's missing the dotted lines between what you fill in and what they give you back.

The slip from TM47 is also a prove that you actually have been reporting every 90 days. So running around in Pattaya without a TM47 slip can be seen as an overstay by some police officer who just graduated and has to score credits.
If you remove your TM47-slip, do it just before you visit immigration.

TrongpaiExpat
August 17th, 2008, 14:30

The slip from TM47 is also a prove that you actually have been reporting every 90 days. So running around in Pattaya without a TM47 slip can be seen as an overstay by some police officer who just graduated and has to score credits.
If you remove your TM47-slip, do it just before you visit immigration.

I am talking about removing the old expried TM47 when I have returned from being out of Thailand and back in Thailand less than 90 days.

August 18th, 2008, 08:07
The topic is about the 90 day address report to a local immigration office people who are here on O visas/extensions must do every 90 days they are in Thailand. Not related to the topic WhiteDesire is talking about. I'm afraid WhiteDesire just doesn't "get it" all too often. He should stick to commenting on the exchange rate where at least he can do no harm. And where is his op-ed on the precipitous decline of the GBP against the USD this month, one might ask

August 20th, 2008, 18:23
The topic is about the 90 day address report to a local immigration office people who are here on O visas/extensions must do every 90 days they are in Thailand. Not related to the topic WhiteDesire is talking about. I'm afraid WhiteDesire just doesn't "get it" all too often. He should stick to commenting on the exchange rate where at least he can do no harm. And where is his op-ed on the precipitous decline of the GBP against the USD this month, one might ask

You really have got it in for me haven't you Homiterm, every post I read there is something about me from you. Now, what do you think that indicates? You really do need expert advice and help as to which direction you are going in life..

Beachlover
August 20th, 2008, 19:12
RRRrrrrouw! *cat paws*

August 21st, 2008, 06:57
You really do need expert advice and help as to which direction you are going in life..I look forward to reading that although I doubt it will be of the standard of, say, PG Wodehouse

Beachlover
August 21st, 2008, 07:01
"HISSSSSS sssssssss"

August 22nd, 2008, 01:54
You really do need expert advice and help as to which direction you are going in life..I look forward to reading that although I doubt it will be of the standard of, say, PG Wodehouse

PG Wodehouse - don't fool me - you should read Jade Goody's autobiography, that's more your style!

August 22nd, 2008, 04:30
PG Wodehouse - don't fool me - you should read Jade Goody's autobiography, that's more your style!I bow to your superior knowledge of people I've never heard of

PeterUK
August 22nd, 2008, 17:11
While people-watching in Pattaya's sexpat haunts, I'm often reminded of Wodehouse's famous description of one of his characters as looking 'a bit like a pterodactyl with a secret sorrow.' On one occasion I then realised I was looking at my own reflection.