PDA

View Full Version : Tops supermarket in Jomtien?

PeterUK
August 14th, 2008, 18:50
A friend tells me that there is to be a Tops supermarket in Jomtien Complex, in the car park building which has always been empty up to now. Apparently this is why the connecting pedestrian bridges are currently being demolished. Anyone got more information? It would certainly be a welcome addition to Jomtien, which at the moment only has the Australian-run place opposite Pan Pan; it has some good-quality products but is on the small side and a bit pricey. If true, this is bad luck on all you bottoms out there, but no doubt you'll get your own supermarket one day (this comment is for Dodger's benefit).

Patexpat
August 14th, 2008, 18:58
my understanding is that it will be a supermarket, but I didn't think it was TOPS unless they have a franchise system ..... but I must confess my information is several months old.

August 14th, 2008, 19:38
Everyone I have spoken to in Jomtien Complex has told me it is Tops Supermarket moving in.
It should revive the fortunes of the complex which has gone through many changes in the last few years, and would be an excellent alternative to the overpriced and badly stocked Foodmart.

August 14th, 2008, 20:19
Tops is a bit like 7-11, with stores all over Thailand -- just not so many. There must be at least four in Chiang Mai.

You can get better fruit and produce at the local markets, but Tops excels at some things many foreigners take for granted:

It's air-conditioned and clean.
Prices are clearly posted.
You can find a pretty wide variety of imported things.
The meat counter is excellent.
The prepared fruit (sliced pineapple etc.) is a real convenience.As a bonus, a number of the guys who work there are very friendly and cute. But that's true in the local market as well.

The downside is that most Thai find it way too expensive.

But if you want a good beef-steak made in Thailand, I don't know of many other places to look.

August 15th, 2008, 04:37
Its not only Tops - its other shops as its a mall type thing also with new offices