PDA

View Full Version : This Is Thailand, Chapter 47

PeterUK
August 13th, 2008, 14:07
As I arrived in Sunee this morning a songtaew was pulling up outside the Marina Hotel with eight monks in the back. None of them looked much older than mid-thirties; several were grim-faced and one or two had the battered look of ex-boxers. The unworthy thought crossed my mind that they might have been mafiosi on a mission, only dressed in saffron rather than black. Perhaps there were sub-machine guns concealed under those robes? One of the monks held open the passenger door at the front and a short, much older, benign-looking monk (the Godfather!) got out and led the way into the hotel. I realised, of course, that their real purpose was to perform a 'tham bun baan' ceremony to help the hotel ward off evil spirits and bring it good luck. A bit of chanting and praying, some eating of snacks, and then they would be given an envelope containing baht notes - spiritual protection money, it occurred to me, continuing my mafiosi theme.

Mim in NS Travel just up the soi confirmed the purpose of the visit. She told me that most businesses arranged for such ceremonies to be held once or twice a year.

'What about the go-go bars?' I asked. 'Do they have them too?' Monks blessing knocking shops! - I couldn't help smiling.

'Yes, I see many times,' she said, emphatic in response to my look of amused disbelief. As an afterthought she added, 'But not when boys working.'

We both chuckled.

August 13th, 2008, 14:48
Instead of having this regular monk ceremony, the boys have their own little ceremonies:
- usually, there is in a bar some kind of buddha statue. The boys take care of it with drinks, flowers, scent and prayings
- some bars offer the the first 2 or 3 cc of a bottle (spirituals) to buddha. They sprinkle it out over the street.
- a lot of boys always make a wai, before going on stage or going from stage

Viewing these little ceremonies brings up a feeling of contradiction, not real hypocrisy.

August 13th, 2008, 14:51
The depth of understanding of Thai culture so far in this thread is astounding. Simply astounding.

August 13th, 2008, 14:52
Viewing these little ceremonies brings up a feeling of contradiction

contradiction from a western viewpoint, but probably not from a Thai viewpoint

August 13th, 2008, 15:42
contradiction from a western viewpoint, but probably not from a Thai viewpointIndeed but let's not pretend it has much to do with Buddhism - it's pure animism

Richsilver
August 13th, 2008, 18:01
Many years ago I was having breakfast outside on the terrace of the Ambiance coffee shop. I believe it was New Years Day. A large group of monks showed up and went into the Toy Boys bar across the soi.

After I finished breakfast I wandered over for a look. The door was opened and I saw the monks sitting on the stage chanting. Just hours before, of course, young men in their underwear (or perhaps less) were frolicking upon the very same stage. I found it to be very strange and amusing.

jolyjacktar
August 13th, 2008, 19:06
I think its great that you can go to any different country in the world and see local beliefs and rituals being carried out or acted upon. That what makes this a wonderous planet and peoples.

thaiguest
August 14th, 2008, 08:58
Many years ago I was having breakfast outside on the terrace of the Ambiance coffee shop. I believe it was New Years Day. A large group of monks showed up and went into the Toy Boys bar across the soi.

After I finished breakfast I wandered over for a look. The door was opened and I saw the monks sitting on the stage chanting. Just hours before, of course, young men in their underwear (or perhaps less) were frolicking upon the very same stage. I found it to be very strange and amusing.

Not a million years ago you would have seen a European monk celebrate the eucharist and then walk into a church square and set fire to a bundle of faggots (sic) at the Auto da Fe. The Thais were Buddhists then as they are now.
Give me 'strange and amusing', thai style, anytime.

August 16th, 2008, 09:14
The depth of understanding of Thai culture so far in this thread is astounding. Simply astounding.

...Mim in NS Travel just up the soi confirmed the purpose of the visit. She told me that most businesses arranged for such ceremonies to be held once or twice a year.

'What about the go-go bars?' I asked. 'Do they have them too?' Monks blessing knocking shops! - I couldn't help smiling....

Take a step back, take a deep breath and try not to be judgemental.
Thailand has made me learn to see things in a whole different way.

And if our resident jackass would stop being such a "jackass" he might help others to see things in a new light also.

August 16th, 2008, 09:38
DELETED

PeterUK
August 16th, 2008, 12:58
Take a step back, take a deep breath and try not to be judgemental.

Every major religion, including Buddhism, condemns prostitution. I appreciate that Thai Buddhism has become more equivocal about it, partly due to the long acceptance of concubinage from the highest to the lowest levels of Thai society; I also appreciate that monks aren't blessing prostitution per se when they hold a 'tham bun baan' ceremony in a go-go bar. Nevertheless, I reserve the right to be amused by the thought of monks so engaged and if that offends you - well, too bad.

Thailand has made me learn to see things in a whole different way.

You'll have to expand on that statement if I am to comment sensibly on it. If, as I suspect, you are hinting that Thailand has made you less 'judgemental' of others, well, fine ('Let he who is without sin...' etc). That doesn't mean, however, that we should go round in some kind of wishy-washy state where all consideration of moral issues is suspended. I doubt whether you do mean that.

And if our resident jackass would stop being such a "jackass" he might help others to see things in a new light also.

This I find laughable. Chao Na as a guide to Thai cultural values! He might have an encyclopedic knowledge of them at an intellectual level for all I know, but it is clear to me from long experience of his posting here under many handles that he has no emotional understanding of concepts like kreng jai or jai dee at all. Someone whose 'humour' almost always rests on the attempted humiliation and belittlement of others and whose moral self-righteousness merely trumpets his own self-hatred is about as close to the Thai mentality as a mouse is to an elephant.

August 16th, 2008, 13:06
Don't be ridiculous. I spend most of my waking hours sucking up (ie., making kreng jai) to the Thai authorities. Just ask hummingturd.

August 16th, 2008, 13:14
DELETED

PeterUK
August 16th, 2008, 13:55
Hahaha! Almost makes me feel sorry for Chao Na. Who needs enemies with friends like ViaRosa.

Wesley
August 17th, 2008, 06:01
ViaRosa. is at the very least consistently noxious

Wes

Dodger
August 17th, 2008, 08:40
Homintern Quote:

Indeed but let's not pretend it has much to do with Buddhism - it's pure animism

It's hard to view any culture or religion in this world as not being entwined with "animism", including Thailand, although, the Tham Bun Baan Iam ceremony being discussed is based on some very solid core beliefs of Thai Buddhists, and not considered to be mere "animism" as you stated.

The white string "saai sin" used in this ceremony is symbolic of the Buddhists acknowledgment of two forces in life, one being good "jai dii" and the other bad. The monks who perform this type of ceremony (usually nine, which is an auspicious number in Thai culture), are almost always given a small monetary donation (Tham Bun) as a way for them (those who requested the ceremony) to receive good merit during the process.

The place where a Tham Bun Bann Iam is being held makes no difference to the monks, or for that matter, anyone else within the Thai Buddhist culture, as the meaning or purpose of the ceremony can never be altered. Regardless if the ceremony is being held in a rural Thai dwelling for the purpose of acknowledging the lose of a loved one, or at a gogo bar under the neon glow of a place like Pattaya, it simply doesn't matter. The same is true when you see the working Thai boys lighting incense and chanting with their hands in the wai position in front of the place they work. The PLACE, or the activities within the PLACE where these personal acknowledgments are being exercised, means absolutely nothing to them. They carry their beliefs with them where ever they go. That is what Buddhism is all about.

mai pen rai

catawampuscat
August 17th, 2008, 11:09
ViaRosa. is at the very least consistently noxious

Wes

It is so simple Wes to detox, to anti-noxious your forum experience and simply put the troll "on IGNORE".

Only foolish men will continue to read consistently noxious postings and will earn very bad karma if they quote this troll and
latest reincarnation of some long banned pathetic creature without a life and reduced to his scribblings here.. Ignore feature is
bliss Wes.. :cat:

August 18th, 2008, 08:27
The PLACE, or the activities within the PLACE where these personal acknowledgments are being exercised, means absolutely nothing to them. They carry their beliefs with them where ever they go. That is what Buddhism is all about.They're placating the spirits of the place - nothing to do with the Noble Eightfold Path, just sheer animism