PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report: Loei Province to Nong Khai (East)

TrongpaiExpat
August 11th, 2008, 15:21
The 10 day trip began with a short BKK to Udon Thani via Nok Air. The BF and I arrived in the evening, picked up a rental car from Budget and spent the night at the Charonensri Grand Royal Hotel. A fancy name for an aging tourist class hotel, next to a shopping center that has seen better days. Most of the money on this hotel was spent on the lobby. Call and you get a better rate than any of the web booking sites. Most of the guests I noticed were paunchy middle and past middle aged white guys in tow with Thai ladies, one looked 8 months pregnant. If you stay here be sure not to get a room in the front, there's a disco across the street that goes to 2 am. I need to find better lodging in Udon.

Loei Province is bordered on the North by the Mekong and is west of Udon Thani. It's mostly mountainous and untouched by mass tourism and has numerous National Parks and forest reserves. We used The Phu Pha Nam Resort in Dan Sai as our base to explore the Province. The resort had a few other guests but most were just there on an overnight. A resort of this quality would cost 3x as much if it was in or near Chiang Mai. We booked via Sawatdee.com and got a better rate than calling. Food excellent, room with a view and everything was very nice, I highly recommend this place.

There's not many places to eat at night in or around Dan Sai. Most of the restaurants double as local whore house/karaoke joints. You get to choose a lady or a lady boy to sit with you and 'sing a song' but just eating and not taking a "host" is OK too. I was told the off fee is only 100B.

We visited Nam Tok Chat Trakan, Phu Hin Rongkla and my favorite, Phu Rua National parks. If it was not for park rangers and some park grounds and road workers, we would have been all alone most days, these parks don't get many visitors. It has to be because of their remote locations rather than lack of beauty. There are well marked trails ranging from 200M to 4KM, none are level, a few strenuous and some slippery. The reward at the end of the trail was either a water fall or some cliff overlooking the landscape. All these parks are high altitude and covered in a constant mist of fog. For Aug the temperature were quite low, windy and comfortable. It rains off and on always in this season. It's one place in Thailand that sees below 0c in the winter.

We did not suffer any injuries but given the uneven and steep paths it was on my mind that falling was a possibility. We took the precaution of entering the ranger station phone numbers should a rescue be necessary though if we fell off some of the narrow cliff foot paths, survival seemed unlikely. Slow, easy and careful was the order of the day.

Leaving Dan Sai we drove back to Loei and picked up route 201, a road that follows the winding path of the Mekong all the way to Nong Khai. Small Mekong towns dot the area, only one I noticed had some guest houses, Sangkhom. It's the long way scenic route to Nong Khai and it took all day. It's a paved narrow road in decent shape contrasted by what I could see of a similar dirt road on the Lao side. Homes simple and then every now and then there's some huge mansion type house in the mix. Plenty of river front land is available and uninhabited.

In Nong Khai we stayed at the Tip Hotel. Clean, basic and just a place to sleep for the night. I prefer the Pantwee, but the BF likes Tip next to Tesco. Be sure to get a room as far from the disco as possible.

For our next stop we stayed at the BF family house. Most of the family were on jobs else where in Thailand and we had the house to ourself, more or less, given the communal nature of life in a rural Nong Khai village. It's in the NE section of the Province near a town called SoPhisai. We went to the far eastern area of the province, the Wua Wildlife Sanctuary, Bung Khia and the nearly impossible to find Chet Si Waterfall. This waterfall is very popular with the locals and for some reason about 1/3 of the visitors were lady-boys in groups with other lady boys and some gay and stright(er) looking boys. The path to this waterfall is very treacherous, slippery and steep. It was fun to watch them fall and slide on the slippery rocks swimming Thai style with all your clothes on.

We spent one day at the mountain Wat Phu Tok in Beung Kan. It's accessed via a network of winding wooden stair-cases built on and around giant sandstone outcrops, caves and ascends to the top slowly with great views. If you can do a stair master in the gym for about an hour or two with some resting you can make the climb. Best no to go with young people who leave you a few hundred steps behind taking it slow and easy. The effort was worth the view at the top.

www.agoda.com/asia/thailand/udonthani/charoensri_grand_royal_hotel.html (http://www.agoda.com/asia/thailand/udonthani/charoensri_grand_royal_hotel.html)
www.sawadee.com/hotel/TH_isan_phuphanam.html (http://www.sawadee.com/hotel/TH_isan_phuphanam.html)

catawampuscat
August 11th, 2008, 18:14
Great report trongpai..
I have been to Nong Khai many times and was just chatting about Nong Khai today at Jomtien Beach
with my excellent massage guy, who just returned from Nong Khai. I have also flown into Udon Thani
and it is just a short drive to Nong Khai city.
A good friend has been to Loei and reported that it is mountaineous and very beautiful and serene..

It sounds like one better be fit if they undertake the national park hikes and well worth it to see nature (and
not Nature Boys) for a change of pace.. I think bringing a bf or a boy from the area is the way to do it and I would probably
go for a car with a driver. Trongpai is braver and more daring than I and no doubt has his Thai driving license and
has experience driving in the countryside..

There are farangs who spend years living in Thailand and never make it out of Pattay/Jomtien, BKK and maybe Phuket and/or
Chiang Mai. :cat:

TrongpaiExpat
August 11th, 2008, 18:29
You need to be fit to hike some of the trails but if your old, disabled or unfit you can still see the scenery from the comfort of a car.

Car with a driver in Loei is limited to small van tours and I only noticed one in being there over a week. Getting a driver for my 10 day trip would have cost too much. Driving yourself in Isaan is easy and cost about 1000B per day rental.

Finding a Thai boy in a bar that is willing to hike in a National Park might not be so easy. Many may think the notion a bit ting tong.

August 11th, 2008, 18:40
down to Cambodia where there is a different and less touristy "Golden Triangle" of Thailand, Laos and Cambodia.

It is called the "Emerald Triangle".

August 12th, 2008, 00:53
Next trips: one to Chiang Dao and Wiang Haeng, and further north to that small Shan village near the border. And another to Mae Hong Son at last!

But I may put these off until the rains stop.

Counting the days to wan awk phansaa, and thanks very much for the wonderful report!

TrongpaiExpat
August 13th, 2008, 11:55
Next trips: one to Chiang Dao and Wiang Haeng, and further north to that small Shan village near the border. And another to Mae Hong Son at last!

But I may put these off until the rains stop.

Counting the days to wan awk phansaa, and thanks very much for the wonderful report!

Might be a good idea, Route 211, I hear on the news today is flooded at Si Chiang Mai and Tha Bo. I was lucky, clear weather and little rain but I did notice the Mekong was high the current swift.

Been to Tham Lot? North of Mai Hong Son.

August 13th, 2008, 12:32
Finding a Thai boy in a bar that is willing to hike in a National Park might not be so easy. Many may think the notion a bit ting tong.Not only Thai bar boys have that notion. Bald fat old cunts have been known to express a similar opinion

catawampuscat
August 13th, 2008, 15:56
trong pai is fortunate to have been able to retire early and could probably be homintern's grandson, at least age-wise..
He is still a stud-muffin and hits the gym daily and can handle the hiking with ease but many of us could use the device
"geezer" uses in his avatar with the four guys.
He occasionally lowers his standards and spends some time in the depths
of Pattaya/Jomtien and is a bird colonel in the barmy army, Bangkok regiment...

hm-mm.... wasn't there another colonel on this forum in days of yore? maybe homintern knows?

Since I am off on a tangent to nowhere, there is a comical thread over on gaybutton's forum where the principals
argue over whether it is the barmy army or barny army that are stationed in various beer bars
in Sunee Plaza and has a Jomtien beach outpost...
This absurdity has dear gaybutton correcting the misuse of barmy army with barny army
and believe it or not, one poster insists it is barny army which is all about a purple dinosaur complete with pedo references.
Barny or Barney is a USA children's TV cartoon aimed at pre-school tots and the stubborn poster insists it is barny not barmy..

Thanks for the chuckles, gaybutton and for those starved of entertainment take a look at his forum for this illuminating episode
of confused moderators.. even lmtu/earwig should get a giggle out of this madcap dialogue..
sorry, I don't do links due to acute laziness and ignorance...555 :cat:

TrongpaiExpat
August 13th, 2008, 20:07
Yea, first funny post on that site in a long time: Link (http://www.gaythailand.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2817)
catch it quick before they both ban each other and dissolve the thread.

Col. Trongpai,
Bangkok Division of the Barmy Army, Special Operation attachment to Dick's Cafe and soi Twilight short arms inspections.

Smiles
August 13th, 2008, 20:43
I always thought it was the Balmy Army (not 'Barny', or 'Barmy').

Just doublechecked on a web thesaurus and found this:

ThesaurusLegend: Synonyms Related Words Antonyms

Adj. 1. balmy - informal or slang terms for mentally irregular; "it used to drive my husband balmy"
bats, batty, bonkers, buggy, crackers, daft, dotty, haywire, kookie, kooky, loco, loony, around the bend, nuts, round the bend, wacky, whacky, nutty, barmy, loopy, fruity, cracked
insane - afflicted with or characteristic of mental derangement; "was declared insane"; "insane laughter"
Sounds very much like what those guys GT's talking about.

Cheers ...

August 14th, 2008, 00:08
DELETED

catawampuscat
August 14th, 2008, 02:05
Use the search feature on this forum and you will see whence the barmy references began and of course
the barny is silly prattle.. agreed with smiles it is all balmy.
You will find lots of barmy and balmy but barny is not a contender.. gaybutton wins this balmy arguement on his forum.. :cheers:

The Pattaya HQ of the barmy army has decided to promote trongpai for services beyond the call of duty and one
of the generals will get around to pinning the medals on his chest and officiate at his promotion. We just have to
figure out what is above a bird colonel and perhaps the reference for that should be our own Satwatdee Gay Thailand
colonel, who althou retired and using his civilian handle of homintern, might be our best source, unless we resort to googling it..

I am glad trongpai didn't get annoyed with this hijacking of his travel thread into the absurd on gaybuttons' forum and for
being a good sport.. Much ado about nothing as a wise bard proclaimed and time for all good men to come.... :cat:

August 14th, 2008, 04:53
I always thought it was the Balmy Army (not 'Barny', or 'Barmy')."barmy" means slightly mad, "balmy" means rather pleasant. I've only ever thought of balmy in connection with the weather - a balmy day. It derives from the word for a soothing oil - a balm. I've never seen the "Barmy Army" referred to as other than barmy and the rather obvious alliteration both in sound and spelling of "arm" in each word reinforces that view. I see dictionary.com does allow for balmy = barmy in its final definition and calls it "informal". I'd have thought it's simply the illiterate not understanding the difference between barmy and balmy bringing it into popular use. Thinking that the Grand Ayatollah Gaybutton is the final arbiter for anything except in his own mind is taking things down a completely barmy path. It was already covered by the fatwa he issued back in January 2006 - http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/fo ... .php?e=299 (http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/weblog_entry.php?e=299)