PDA

View Full Version : Taksin Seeks Asylum in UK

August 11th, 2008, 13:52
I don't know what kind of visa he has for the UK, or what would happen if the courts here issue arrest warrants for him and the missus.Like pretty much every country in the world, the UK has a "Gotta Lotta Money" visa for big spenders. How do you think all those Russian oligarchs are living there?

August 11th, 2008, 15:36
But don't worry...Thaksin is in complete control.

zinzone
August 11th, 2008, 15:58
"the only Russians living in the UK when I was there were spies or defectors "

Course in Thailand we mainly have defecaters.....

August 11th, 2008, 16:09
"the only Russians living in the UK when I was there were spies or defectors "

Course in Thailand we mainly have defecaters.....

You don't defecate? No wonder you plod around like a constipated ass.

Dodger
August 11th, 2008, 16:18
That's Good News.

The Brits should give him a pee test...paste an "out-of-business" sticker on the windshield of his limo...slap the living shit out of him...and throw his ass in the monkey house for a few decades. Or, maybe he'll just send his helpers out to sprinkle money around the British country side to build another following...who knows!

August 11th, 2008, 16:58
I'm afraid even in the UK money talks both with government and the Football Association. Even though his wife has been convicted in a legal court and jumped bail I would be very surprised if we hear anything from the powers to be in England. I would also think that the elite in Thailand will not fall over themselves to request his extradition as he knows too much about too many people and is better off out of the country!

thrillbill
August 11th, 2008, 17:18
...so Taksin is in exile...seeking asylum; therefore, isn't it up to the British government (or any government) to make the decision to allow him in? His wife now has a criminal record, so wouldn't that keep HER from getting asylum?

August 12th, 2008, 00:45
As far as I could tell, Toxsin's whole political adventure had two main goals (a) enriching himself (b) trying to turn Thailand into a clone of America.

He was far indeed from the ancient Greek ideal of a well-to-do private citizen who took up the reins of public office as a duty. Nope, he acted just like John F. Kennedy, and went ahead and bought his way to power.

An illustration: do you know how to make 150,000 per month in Bangkok? As a COOK? Well, you first have to win some grand cooking price in France, and then sign up to cook for an exclusive club. This exclusive club has an extensive fitness area, enormous swimming pool, and a fine restaurant. But it IS an exclusive club: it costs over 100,000 baht per year to be a member. Toxsin is a member. The 150,000 chef cooks for Toksin and his buddies -- not, alas, for me and thee.

There are a million tales in the Naked City! :-) And I want to find them all!

Oh, and a final twist. The chef has received offers of 300,000 per month from Singapore, and he turns them all down because he loves living in Thailand!!

August 12th, 2008, 04:02
He was far indeed from the ancient Greek ideal of a well-to-do private citizen who took up the reins of public office as a duty. Nope, he acted just like John F. Kennedy, and went ahead and bought his way to power.A better example by far is Berlusconi of Italy

August 12th, 2008, 05:14
Where are the kiddies: Panthongtae and Pintongta?
They still owe 21 Billion baht in unpaid taxes

IHT story (http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/04/24/business/baht.php)

August 12th, 2008, 12:58
Where are the kiddies: Panthongtae and Pintongta?I've always thought Panthongtae was somewhat attractive and only the other day sent him a letter offering to be his kept man. It looks like I'll be disappointed (again)

August 12th, 2008, 17:38
Where are the kiddies: Panthongtae and Pintongta?

There are three kids altogether. The missing one is a daughter, Paethongtarn or something like that.

August 12th, 2008, 23:55
Unless Thailand applies for his extradition Britain will have no reason to bar either him or his family - his visa can be moved from his (revoked) Thai diplomatic passport to his normal Thai passport. It could be interesting to see what will happen once he has to renew his passport at the Thai embassy when it expires, however, as without it he would be unable to travel unless he gets another nationality.

As an ex-head of state who is "only" wanted for national rather than international crimes (such as torture, genocide, etc) he will probably have immunity under the State Immunity Act, 1978, as Pinochet arguably had, although his part in the "War on Drugs" could void this or even be part of a private prosecution.

His family have no such immunity, so if they are not extradited it will be because no application has been made by Thailand, not because he owns property in the UK or for any other similar reason.

August 13th, 2008, 00:51
Just spotted this Thaksin's here (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1043785/Carefree-Fugitive-Thai-PM-Thaksin-Shinawatra-hits-shops-wife-children.html)
Perhaps I'll be seeing him at The Ivy or Nobu sometime soon.

Shuee
August 13th, 2008, 01:00
as far as i can recall taxins children were studying over in the uk in the posh private schools there, i belive the uk harbours all sorts, bin laden sister lives in a place called mitcham too!

piston10
August 13th, 2008, 04:12
What for? Was he just filling up the 'fridge? Milk, bread, sausages, orange juice? Guilford is a respectable and smart little town, and certainly caters for some the better-off residents of the surrounding countryside; but it defies imagination to think of anything a billionaire would want to buy there. Just PR, I'd say. Took the photographers with him?

Now Nobu, maybe. But he needs to be warned that the Ivy isn't what it used to be.

August 13th, 2008, 04:29
Just spotted this Thaksin's here (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1043785/Carefree-Fugitive-Thai-PM-Thaksin-Shinawatra-hits-shops-wife-children.html)
Perhaps I'll be seeing him at The Ivy or Nobu sometime soon.

The only people at The Ivy or Nobu who would ever be seen reading the Daily Mail would be the scullery maids

and by the way .... it's Guildford with 2 d's.

August 13th, 2008, 06:26
The only people at The Ivy or Nobu who would ever be seen reading the Daily Mail would be the scullery maids, and by the way .... it's Guildford with 2 d's.Quite so. And today's Independent newspaper has an op-ed on whether Britain should let him stay - http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 92822.html (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/the-big-question-why-do-so-many-foreign-billionaires-want-to-make-their-home-in-britain-892822.html)

August 13th, 2008, 07:59
it defies imagination to think of anything a billionaire would want to buy there.

Correction: former billionaire.

piston10
August 13th, 2008, 14:50
A shameful mis-spelling, I admit. Excuses? I picked it up from Sanitree in the middle of the night and was seduced by the silence of the first 'd'. None of which washes, I know.

Homintern's reference to the editorial in The Independent is quite important. I doubt that point of view will be replicated in many other British newspapers, because it draws attention to our nasty double standards in such matters.

August 15th, 2008, 23:37
as far as i can recall taxins children were studying over in the uk in the posh private schools there, i belive the uk harbours all sorts, bin laden sister lives in a place called mitcham too!

Neither of your "recollections" is quite correct.

Thaksin's children are in their 20's and attended university in Thailand (where Panthongthae was caught cheating in his exams!), so are not at private schools in the UK (posh or otherwise).

Bin Laden was disowned by his family, most of whom were educated in the US and many of whom were living in the US and "associates" of Bush senior and junior. His sister was receiving treatment for cancer in the UK, having been flown in from Saudi.