PDA

View Full Version : Thaksin Flees According To Bangkok Post

globalwanderer
August 10th, 2008, 23:48
Ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra and Khunying Potjamarn have fled to London and will not be back for their court cases, a close supporter said on Sunday after the couple failed to catch their flight back from Beijing to Bangkok.

The couple were to catch Thai Airways International Flight 615, due to arrive in Bangkok at 9:45pm on Sunday. But TG615 left Beijing and arrived back in Bangkok on Sundaty evening without the high-level passengers on board.

People Power party MP Pracha Prasobdee said the couple would not return, despite promises from them and their spokesmen.

He told reporters at Suvarnabhumi airpor that Mr Thaksin will make a statement from London at 9am Thailand time on Monday, an hour before he and his wife were ordered to return and report to the Supreme Court on charges they face separately and together.

While the flight to London may cause Mr Thaksin and his wife to lose their bail, it might also be good for the country.

"If Thaksin really doesn't come back, the conflict in our country will lessen, which implies that our prolonged political trouble will come to an end soon," Kavee Chukitkasem, head of research at Bangkok brokerage Kasikorn Securities, said.

"The markets should definitely rise tomorrow," he added.

Last Thursday, the Stock Exchange of Thailand surged by 4 per cent on rumours the couple would be headed into exile. Business circles, at least, believe political tension will easy significantly if the couple stay away for a lengthy time.

Thaksin lawyers were quoted by NBT TV news as saying the couple would be represented in court on Monday morning as scheduled - but did not say they would be there in person.

The couple attended the opening of the Olympic Games on Friday evening.

Rumours they will go into exile dominated Bangkok political circles last week. Their spokesmen have repeatedly said the duo will be back and make their court appearance.

But on Sunday, both Pongthep Thepkanchana and Sansanee Nakpong were unavailable, their mobile phones switched off.

fedssocr
August 11th, 2008, 02:29
The more I think about it the more odd it seems that the authorities allowed a convicted felon and a person facing so many court cases to leave the country. Unless of course there was some sort of backroom deal that allowed them to leave with the understanding they wouldn't be coming back. While I prefer to see corrupt people in jail rather than in exile, as the article says their departure could well lessen the tension. And if there is no need to amend the Constitution to save his hide maybe the Samak government can turn its attention to trying to deal with all of the country's problems instead.

August 11th, 2008, 03:36
It was all a deal. But Thaksin wont honour it!

ceejay
August 11th, 2008, 03:50
Am I a hopeless old cynic, or could it be that those who now have their trotters in the trough don't want the Thai public to become used to the idea of the rich and powerful going to prison for corruption?

August 11th, 2008, 04:03
The more I think about it the more odd it seems that the authorities allowed a convicted felon and a person facing so many court cases to leave the country.This Is Thailand!

August 11th, 2008, 04:35
If the man does indeed stay away and hence lose his bail, he will join a very long list of Falangs who have done the same thing.

August 11th, 2008, 06:59
If the man does indeed stay away and hence lose his bail, he will join a very long list of Falangs who have done the same thing.How often does a Westerner get bail in Thailand? Usually if there's a risk of someone on bail leaving their own country their passport is confiscated, so even if they do not report to Court they don't have the option of leaving the country either. Thaksin and family have been treated in the usual Thai way - but then Thailand has nothing to learn from the West, as Dek Wat has assured us

August 11th, 2008, 08:29
Its time to cash in the frozen assets and distribute them to the poor. Also time to sell of his homestead home in Chiang Mai and repay some of the taxes he cheated the people out of. Time to rid the country of him forever.

August 11th, 2008, 08:38
DELETED

August 11th, 2008, 08:39
Let's be just as harsh on the pollies of most other countries - not just this man - for whom there is no evidence yet that he is guilty. It's so easy to be judge and jury.

The man rightly enjoys huge popularity in this country for all the good he did the vast army of poor people.

If in fact he does flee, it's easy to assume he must be guilty. In this country however, that's a dangerous assumption. Here, justice is in the hands of the highest bidder.

And dare I say that London has its fair share of the home grown product.

August 11th, 2008, 08:51
If the man does indeed stay away and hence lose his bail, he will join a very long list of Falangs who have done the same thing.How often does a Westerner get bail in Thailand? Usually if there's a risk of someone on bail leaving their own country their passport is confiscated, so even if they do not report to Court they don't have the option of leaving the country either. Thaksin and family have been treated in the usual Thai way - but then Thailand has nothing to learn from the West, as Dek Wat has assured us

Once again, hummingturd mouths off with clearly no understanding of how the criminal system in Thailand works.

First, it is 100% routine for everyone[/], whether Thai or foreign, to be offered bail until all rights of appeal have been exhausted. Second, passports are [i]not routinely "confiscated" from foreigners while on bail, except in the most egregious cases involving violent crime or drugs. Never for white collar crime.

August 11th, 2008, 08:56
Here, justice is in the hands of the highest bidderBut Thailand has nothing to learn from the West, right?

August 11th, 2008, 08:56
I feel that hummingturd has little understanding of anything.

Not having a passport hasn't stopped quite a few falangs leaving the country! As I understand things, passports are routinely confiscated from foreigners after arrest.

August 11th, 2008, 08:59
I feel that hummingturd has little understanding of anything.

Not having a passport hasn't stopped quite a few falangs leaving the country! As I understand things, passports are routinely confiscated from foreigners after arrest.

You understand incorrectly. As stated above, passports are NOT routinely confiscated, unless it is a matter involving violent crime or drugs. Never for white collar crime.

August 11th, 2008, 09:02
[quote="Dek Wat":i1b3ewmy]I feel that hummingturd has little understanding of anything.

You understand incorrectly. As stated above, passports are NOT routinely confiscated, unless it is a matter involving violent crime or drugs. Never for white collar crime.[/quote:i1b3ewmy]

I have no idea of the situation re white collar crime. I will assume you are correct.

I stand by my comment on other situations however. And not just re violent crime and drugs.

alittlebi-old
August 11th, 2008, 10:21
Reported on reuters minutes ago:

BANGKOK, Aug 11 (Reuters) - Speculation about a possible return to exile by ousted PM Thaksin Shinawatra reached fever pitch in Thailand on Monday as he and his wife failed to return from an overseas trip for a court hearing.

August 11th, 2008, 10:28
I have no idea of ... ... anything, really

Lunchtime O'Booze
August 11th, 2008, 10:29
why do the names Ferdinand & Imelda come to mind ? :scratch:

August 11th, 2008, 10:40
why do the names Ferdinand & Imelda come to mind ? :scratch:Because his conviction would have been a "shoe in"?

Marsilius
August 11th, 2008, 12:29
Because Thaksin and wife are "solely" responsible for their alleged crimes? (Not...)

August 11th, 2008, 12:48
he is in London, and will be making a press conference later today (Monday)

BANGKOK: Ousted Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra will not return to Thailand again, a pro-Thaksin MP said on Sunday, suggesting the billionaire had flown to London from Beijing in violation of his bail terms.

Thaksin was due to return to Bangkok on Sunday, but MP Pracha Prasobdee told reporters at the airport he had spoken to a Thaksin aide who said the former prime minister would be making a statement "via the foreign media" at 9 a.m. from London.
- Reuters

It's past noon Monday arrival most recent TG filght from Beijing and no news!

That's 4:00 pm Thailand?

Nothing on my BBC news feed yet.

August 11th, 2008, 15:52
He said he will delay his 9:00 am announcement until after the court would reach its decision.

Now ...

Supreme Court issues arrest warrants against Thaksin, wife

The Supreme Court Monday issued arrest warrants against former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra and his wife, Khunying Pojaman.

The Supreme Court issued the warrants after the couple fled to England instead of returning to Thailand to attend a court hearing in the Ratchadapisek land purchase case.

The Supreme Court's Criminal Tribunal for Holders of Political Positions said the couple broke their promise to return to the country to attend the trial so the courts issued arrest warrants against them.

The Nation

It's 10 minutes to 4:00!

August 11th, 2008, 16:11
looks like he is here in Thailand

August 11th, 2008, 16:12

Who, Thaksin? Get your head out of El Duo's ass and pay attention to what's going on. What a moron.

August 11th, 2008, 16:16

Who, Thaksin? Get your head out of El Duo's ass and pay attention to what's going on. What a moron.

August 11th, 2008, 16:22

Sorry Chao Na if you have just your computer and no friends. But thankyou to mention El Duo even here. For all the guys who dont know what nice guys Chao Na is meaning and talking about have a look on www.el-duo.com (http://www.el-duo.com)
Thanks Chao Na for your support.

August 11th, 2008, 16:36
I'm sure El Duo are proud to have the support of someone whose mental capacity is obviously about equivalent to that of a garden snail.

August 11th, 2008, 16:53
I'm sure El Duo are proud to have the support of someone whose mental capacity is obviously about equivalent to that of a garden snail.

So poor your comment now - you was better in the past.
What's happen? You getting old? Attacking people is so easy anonymous in the Internet. But as long you feel good and happy I am happy too for you. Makes a olld man feel good is also a social service of Sawatdee Gay Thailand. Question is: What would you do if there wouldn't be the internet? Standing at the window and call the police if someone is parking wrong his car? I am for sure happy for you and so thankful that you are here on this forum. We need bad sample too here. Please continue and dont stop to attack us daily. Everybody loves you in the same way like everybody love Thaksin.
Be proud on yourself Chao Na.

August 11th, 2008, 17:01
I'd respond if I could make any sense whatsoever of what you were trying to say. Not top student in your English class, were you Toni?

August 11th, 2008, 17:13
Can continue in Dutch, French or German if you want.
Everybody know you are Mr.Perfect. Congratulation Chao Na. Guess you need it for your EGO

But by the way: BBC just reported that Thaksin is in UK

Just to come back to the topic.

August 11th, 2008, 18:02
You mean he came back to Thailand and then fled to London???

August 11th, 2008, 18:11
He could and probably will claim political asylum if they do try to extradite him.

August 11th, 2008, 18:37
No, went directly from China.

I thought Toni said he was in Thailand!!!???!!!!

August 11th, 2008, 19:05
Toni, I believe, saw him on Nation TV and jumped to the conclusion that he was in Thailand. Apparently he forgot that satellites can transmit from anywhere. Taksin missed his flight from Beijing to Bangkok, and instead flew to London.

Toni? Toni, dear? Please tell me that fattman's slanderous lies are not true. Your public is awaiting your statement.

August 12th, 2008, 01:55
There's no doubt he is in London. He stated that he preferred to live in a country where democracy was regarded as important. That's not how I see the place.

August 12th, 2008, 04:00
There's no doubt he is in London. He stated that he preferred to live in a country where democracy was regarded as important. That's not how I see the place.Yes, Thailand certainly isn't a country where democracy is important - glad you've recognised that, Dek Wat

August 12th, 2008, 09:14
Democracy isn't all it's cracked up to be. Democracy gave us George W. Bush, Thaksin Shinawatra, Samak, Berluscioni, and a long list of other a-holes.

August 12th, 2008, 09:31
I do believe that Toni was just being somewhat sarcastic.

According to something I read in one of those (gay) magazines you find around here, Thais have trouble understanding sarcasm. I don't believe that is true, I think they understand it very well. But perhaps that is at the root of Chao Na's unforgivingness (555).

A quick hit session around the globe finds Thaksin on the front page of the Guardian only (after 11 tries) in the "other breaking news" section.

It sort of sums up the situation. Thaksin and his party again claims HE is the champion of democracy. I won't give details now of what I think about that or of his move showing what he respects (have I gone too far already?).

If he wants to have HIS trial in London between the UK and Thai gov'ts then so be it. Did he forget about his trials here? Maybe after a couple decades he will return, like the other one, to be the PM again.

Thaksin: Former Thai prime minister and wife skip bail and flee to Britain before corruption trial
┬╖ Thaksin claims family received death threats
┬╖ Fears for Manchester City as tycoon's assets frozen
The Guardian, Tuesday August 12 2008
Article history

The former Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra skipped bail yesterday and fled to exile in Britain, claiming he could not expect a fair trial on corruption charges because of political interference.

Thaksin and his wife, Pojaman, who was sentenced to three years in prison two weeks ago for fraud, said they flew to Britain because they had received "death threats" in Thailand.

Rumours were rife that the couple would flee after Pojaman, 51, was convicted of evading millions of pounds in taxes in connection with a 1997 shares transfer deal. But family aides had scotched the suggestion.

Immediately after Pojaman was sentenced, along with her stepbrother, Bhanapot Damapong, and former secretary, Kanchanpana Honghern, on July 31, Thaksin left for a speaking engagement in Japan before travelling to China for the Olympics opening ceremony. Last Thursday the trio boarded a flight for Beijing to meet Thaksin.

But when Thaksin and his wife, who were due to appear before the supreme court in Bangkok, failed to return to Thailand arrest warrants were issued and the court ordered the forfeiture of ┬г195,000 bail bond. The tycoon's son Phantongtae and daughters Pinthongta and Paethontan, also face corruption allegations.

In a handwritten statement faxed from London and read on Thai state television, Thaksin, 59, said he travelled to Britain rather than board a flight he had booked to take him back to Bangkok on Sunday. No mention was made of seeking political asylum in Britain.

The tycoon, who held office for five years, said he would remain in Britain indefinitely, but hoped that he would be able to return to his homeland one day. "My wife and I have travelled to reside in England," he said in the statement.

"If I still have luck, I would come back to die on Thai soil like every other Thai person. What happened to my family is like fruit from a poisonous tree - the fruit will also be poisoned.

"There is a continuation of dictatorship managing Thai politics ... which is followed by interference in the justice system. These are my political enemies.

They do not care about the rule of law, facts or internationally recognised due process," he added. Thaksin lived in exile in Britain for two years after he was ousted in a 2006 military coup. He returned to Thailand this year to face corruption charges against him after his political allies won new elections and formed a coalition government.

But just five months after returning to a hero's welcome, Thaksin railed against the Thai judicial system that he said was stacked against him, despite his allies in the People Power party winning the election in December.

The swift action against the pair yesterday suggested that almost ┬г1bn of Thaksin's assets frozen in Thai bank accounts could be at risk, though he is believed to have significant funds salted away in banks outside the country.

Chris Baker, Thaksin's biographer and a political analyst, said of the statement: "Clearly Thaksin is very angry by the way things have turned out. He is obviously extremely emotional. There's a fighting tone; he's not given up completely."

But after Pojaman's conviction Baker said the writing was on the wall for the former leader. He said Thaksin did not want to take any chances with the verdict of a corruption case about an allegedly dubious land deal, due in September, because the verdict, for which there would be no appeal, would be decided by the supreme court.

The arrival in London of the telecoms tycoon could present the British government with a diplomatic dilemma. Thailand has had an extradition agreement with the UK since a 1911 bilateral treaty.

The Thai authorities could apply to have their former prime minister extradited, although it would be a lengthy procedure and one which Thaksin would resist on the grounds that the judiciary were allegedly leading a witch-hunt against him.

The legal proceedings also raised questions about the tycoon's ownership of Manchester City football club and what effect his departure may have on his financing of it.

Thaksin bought Manchester City for ┬г81.6m during his 17-month exile in the UK. It is thought that the Premier League must now ascertain whether he remains a "fit and proper person" to run the club.

Fans have also questioned whether the tycoon's latest move and the freezing of his assets could put in jeopardy the funds he had hoped to make available for the purchase of new players.

The club, which kicks off its premiership season this weekend, declined to comment on Thaksin's status yesterday.
Backstory

Thaksin Shinawatra, 59, a former policeman from Chiang Mai who made a fortune in telecoms, was the first Thai prime minister to win two terms of office. He went into politics in 1994, becoming foreign minister, and then founded the Thai Rak Thai party in 1998. He became premier in 2001 backed by the rural poor but soon faced allegations of authoritarianism and corruption. He was ousted by the army in a bloodless coup in 2006. After refusing to face trial, he sought exile in Britain and bought Manchester City football club. Vowing to clear his name, he returned to Thailand but fled after his wife was sentenced for tax evasion.

August 12th, 2008, 10:12
... Thais have trouble understanding sarcasm.Americans certainly don't understand irony :bounce:

August 12th, 2008, 17:50
In comparison with the coup makers, and the PAD rabble, Thaksin is a perfect poster boy for democracy. He was elected democratically, and would be elected democratically again if they held an election tomorrow.

The problem was not that he was anti-Democracy. The problem was that he was utterly corrupt and out only for himself. That the Thai people were dumb enough to vote for him (and continue to support him, in droves) is Democracy in Action. That's why democracy ain't all it's cracked up to be, folks.

thrillbill
August 12th, 2008, 20:58
...and Americans have voted for a stupid president the last two elections. The difference????--Americans are too "mainstreamed" by the US media to know the difference. (At least the Thais peacefully protested against Toxin last year without the fear of being labeled "unpatriotic" or a ...pin head.

August 12th, 2008, 21:08
A tiny number of Thais protested against Toxin last year -- after he had already been ousted (yawn). The vast majority of Thais voted in a party made up his old cronies.

August 13th, 2008, 09:53
The problem was not that he was anti-Democracy.

The problem is that a country's leader is not supposed to be one who owns satellite corporations, soccer teams, and spins business deals with foreign dictatorial government-owned corporations. That was supposed to be the point of the last constitution that called for declaration of assets. We never got that far (where supposedly the populace would vote against a person with such obvious personal interest) because the first thing he did was arrogantly spit in the face of those laws. So it almost becomes that the intent of declaration comes back on 'em and 6 years and more are completely wasted, gone backwards actually.

August 13th, 2008, 09:57
The problem was not that he was anti-Democracy.

The problem is that a country's leader is not supposed to be one who owns satellite corporations, soccer teams, and spins business deals with foreign dictatorial government-owned corporations. That was supposed to be the point of the last constitution that called for declaration of assets. We never got that far (where supposedly the populace would vote against a person with such obvious personal interest) because the first thing he did was arrogantly spit in the face of those laws. So it almost becomes that the intent of declaration comes back on 'em and 6 years and more are completely wasted, gone backwards actually.

Agreed, 100%. But none of that makes him "anti-democracy". It makes him a corrupt muther-fucker, but not anti-democracy. Democracy is what put him into power, and kept him there.

August 13th, 2008, 10:03
I'm sure we all agree that, despite certain shortcomings here, we are thankful this is a democratic country.

Look around guys. There's nearby countries that aren't.

August 13th, 2008, 10:08
I'm sure we all agree that, despite certain shortcomings here, we are thankful this is a democratic country. Look around guys. There's nearby countries that aren't.Thailand? Democratic? I can't think of many democratic countries where the newspapers speculate constantly about when there'll be another coup d'etat. At least in Britain and the UK everyone can rely on regular, unavoidable elections where everyone can choose whether to vote, how they vote, in secret and accept without thinking that if they stuffed up this time there'll be another chance in just a few years from now

August 14th, 2008, 00:03
DELETED

sjaak327
August 14th, 2008, 01:08
I'm sure we all agree that, despite certain shortcomings here, we are thankful this is a democratic country.

Look around guys. There's nearby countries that aren't.

Thailand isn't a democracy. This whole Thaksin chapter has shown that beyond any doubt. Here is a guy who won the elections (twice) in a landslide, both elections claimed to be the most democratic and with the least cases of vote buying. Yet his reign ended with a totally unecessary re-election (boycotted by the .. democrats) and a subsequent coup d'etat.

The coup was performed for one reason and one reason only, to make sure Thaksin's policital carreer would be over. The PAD and the militairy knew, that beating him on democratic grounds wasn't possible, so they did it this way. His biggest mistake isn't the corruption (that's merely expected from a Thai polictician), his biggest mistake was that he actually made it appear that the poor rural people up in the North and the North East, actually mattered, together with pissing the militairy and the upper class (sic).

His excile into the UK, has probably been agreed between Samak and Thaksin, partly to enable Samak to actually run the country and part as face saving measure.

Don't believe for one minute that the UK will extradite him. Not to a country with a legal system that only provides justice to whoever has money or influence.

Thailand can only be a real democrary if the legal system (including the royal Thai police) is free of corruption and influence, the same applies to the political system, both goals are years ahead. Not so long ago, Thailand seemed at the same level as neighbor Myanmar. And of course then there's Rama IX which also plays a role, that he really shouldn't (as Thailand remains a constitutional monarchy).

August 14th, 2008, 02:44
You've summed it up very well. I suppose the only argument is what the word "democracy" means.

The legal system is totally corrupt. Justice is in the hands of the highest bidder. And of course corruption is endemic here. As it is throughout Asia. But corruption is a fact of life in the West as well. It's just that they pretend it doesn't exist. It's far less acceptable in the West as people there are paid well anyway. In the West, corruption is far more linked to greed than it is here.

Thaksin is very highly regarded by many here and I'm sure would be re-elected if he was allowed to stand. He did do good, especially wrt health.

Just how competent the present Govt, is, remains to be seen.

Thailand is the one shining light in this part of the world.

And the role of the King is unusual for a titular head. I wonder how things will shake down after his death.

August 14th, 2008, 04:42
And of course corruption is endemic here. As it is throughout Asia. But corruption is a fact of life in the West as well. It's just that they pretend it doesn't exist. It's far less acceptable in the West as people there are paid well anyway.In the West the laws against it are enforced and people go to gaol. That doesn't happen in Thailand

Thailand is the one shining light in this part of the world.Shining light of what? Malaysia and Singapore also have their strengths. As for the king's role - well, it's simply anti-democratic, thus negating your whole argument

August 14th, 2008, 06:48
Not to a country with a legal system that only provides justice to whoever has money or influence.

Not any more! From now on they're working from the top down.

Wwwwwhhhhhhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

And THAT statement makes no sense as someone with a lot of money and power has now "ran like a chicken", I heard a Thai/Malaysian woman say, FROM justice .

Thaksin's rule just stagnated. Went nowhere. The only thing in the country that was moving at the time of the coup was his MONEY, OUT of Thailand. Six years later things are worse off for most Thais, NOT badly worse, but maybe it's just unrealistic expectations.

August 14th, 2008, 08:26
Malaysia and Singapore also have their strengths.

They do, of course, but justice and democracy are not among them. Just ask Peter Lloyd or Anwar Ibrahim.

sjaak327
August 14th, 2008, 12:17
Not to a country with a legal system that only provides justice to whoever has money or influence.

Not any more! From now on they're working from the top down.

Wwwwwhhhhhhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

And THAT statement makes no sense as someone with a lot of money and power has now "ran like a chicken", I heard a Thai/Malaysian woman say, FROM justice .

Thaksin's rule just stagnated. Went nowhere. The only thing in the country that was moving at the time of the coup was his MONEY, OUT of Thailand. Six years later things are worse off for most Thais, NOT badly worse, but maybe it's just unrealistic expectations.

It's quite the opposite really. But I'm sure the next governement will do much better.

August 14th, 2008, 13:19
Anne Robinson has signed a deal with the Foreign Office for a special edition of "The Weakest Link" comprising of all former heads of states exiled to London. Some of those voted off in the early rounds will go directly to the Hague. I think the idea is on ice until Robert Mugabe is available and rumour has it that the BlairBush siamese twins will make it. Taksin is not expected to survive four rounds.

August 14th, 2008, 13:53
It's quite the opposite really. But I'm sure the next governement will do much better.

I think it's a change toward independence of the judiciary. The Samak government may or may not do any better and will be happy enough just to remain in power and Samak has already said he plans to fill a term so I guess he's the next gov't.

August 18th, 2008, 09:30
Samak has already said he plans to fill a term so I guess he's the next gov't.How else can he get back the money it cost his party to buy enough votes, let alone line his pockets (through handing out government contracts and concessions) which is why pretty much all Thai politicians are elected. Thaksin formed Thailand For Thais (TRT) by buying up politicians and then won over the rural poor by promising them government handouts so he could stay in government and become even more "unusually wealthy". He made his money initially by a closed process whereby his former colleagues in the Army and police gave his company monopoly telecom and computer concessions. There's nothing entrepreneurial about him - except in the Thai way