PDA

View Full Version : Is it safe to post money from the UK?

March 11th, 2006, 22:05
deleted

March 11th, 2006, 22:34
Hi Robhfd, I have sent small amounts of money, up to 4000 baht, by mail and never had a problem. I just make sure to enclose within a letter. To send larger sums, I use IKOBO.

IKOBO can be found at:

https://www.ikobo.com/

March 12th, 2006, 01:32
Make sure you can't see the money by holding the envelope up to the light. I had a lot of trouble with my boyfriend's post going missing until he got a Post Office Box.

Kun Jon

March 18th, 2006, 02:00
Youve got more chance of the uk postal service to loose or tamper with you letter than the Thais. A report commisioned in the UK said that in the last year 5 million letters havnt reached there destination. Think on!!

Smiles
March 18th, 2006, 02:08
Every national postal organization in the world advises categorically that you should never send cash through the mail. So go with that.
It's dumb to do so (which normally doesn't stop many), so don't be dumb. Don't do it.

The 2000 baht may seem like nothing much to you, but I assure you it is probably not seen that way by your Thai friend. There are other ways to send it with far better chances of it actually getting to him. Try looking around, and find the way.

Cheers ...

Nathan B
March 18th, 2006, 02:26
You can send a Moneygram to Thailand from any UK post office for a fee (from about ┬г12, it increases as you send more). Your friend can collect it at any branch of Thai Military or Siam Commercial Bank.

Dick
March 18th, 2006, 03:32
Robhfd
Sending cash in the post is risky however you do it. But if not readily apparent that you're sending money, it's less of a risk and worth the effort. It's a cost effective value call. Many have done it without mishap. I've only once had a total loss and that was with a jiffy bag containing perfume, but I used the international 'signed for' service and got ┬г30max compensation from Royal Mail.

I would suggest you use the signed for service for the extra couple of quid over and above the normal Air Mail rate. At least then your letter is tracked until it leaves the UK, you have evidence that you mailed 'something', and the extra stickers/bar code on the envelope help to make it look officious to speed it on its journey.

Western Union/Money Grams/Courier despatch ~ you would pay as much for getting it there as the value of the 2000 Baht you're sending. Were I in your shoes I would mail it as described. Just make sure you have an accurate address to send it too.
If possible, get your boy special to email you the address in Thai, which you can then cut and paste on to the envelope as well as the English version, or, next time you're in your favourite Thai restaurant, ask them to translate the address into Thai for you.