PDA

View Full Version : Sino Thai?

August 8th, 2008, 10:35
I read somewhere...can't remember if its from the newspaper or forum.. that Taksin is Sino Thai. All the time I thought he's Thai Chinese. What is Sino Thai anyway?

August 8th, 2008, 10:37
I read somewhere...can't remember if its from the newspaper or forum.. that Taksin is Sino Thai. All the time I thought he's Thai Chinese. What is Sino Thai anyway?

Yet another "geenyus", I see.

Rustee, "Sino-Thai" is the same thing as "Chinese-Thai". The prefix "sino" means Chinese. And of course Thaksin is one.

petr55
August 10th, 2008, 01:00
Hi...

Its been a while since I have been on this forum...
Taking an renewed interest in Thailand again....

SINO- Etymology

From Late Latin Sinae (тАЬтАШthe ChineseтАЩтАЭ), from Ancient Greek Σινάι, from Arabic الصين (aʂ-ʂīn), тАЬтАШChina, the ChineseтАЩтАЭ), from Mandarin 秦 (q├нn) in 秦朝 (q├нn ch├бo), тАЬтАШChin DynastyтАЩтАЭ).

[edit] Pronunciation

IPA: /ˈsɪnəʊ/, /ˈsaɪnəʊ/

[edit] Prefix

Sino-

1. A combining form relating to China or the Chinese.

In the 1970s, Sino-Soviet rivalry also spread to Africa and the Middle East.
He's a Sino-Kadazan: half Chinese, half Kadazan.

lo-so
August 10th, 2008, 02:48
Perhaps 15% nationwide, with a considerable proportion of that within the Capital! -

August 10th, 2008, 08:49

I always compare the Sino's in Asia with the Jews in Europe and the rest of the Western World.
Sino's and Jews do have the ability to set up succesfull businesses, dare to take a risk and are in 99% of financial and gold/diamant trade.

A lot of Thai don't like the Sino Thais out of pure jealousy, but the Sino-Thai dare to step in, where the Thai back off.

It's very easy to separate Sino-Thai and Thai business: the first are well organized and good looking, where the second are a bit greasy, unorganized, unefficient. A lot of high positions at banks, multi-national companies are Sino-Thais.

August 10th, 2008, 08:51
I always compare the Sino's in Asia with the Jews in Europe and the rest of the Western World. Sino's and Jews do have the ability to set up succesfull businesses, dare to take a risk and are in 99% of financial and gold/diamant trade.A better comparison is migrants pretty well everywhere. Like Jews in Europe (or faggots everywhere) they are outsiders and need to try harder

Aunty
August 10th, 2008, 10:07

Yet another "geenyus", I see.

Indeed. Must be a member of the Hovelturd school of military intelligence.

August 10th, 2008, 23:02
Sino-Thai == Chinese Thai == Thai Chinese == Chi-Thai (rhymes with that stupid cocktail).

thaiguest
August 15th, 2008, 09:59
I always compare the Sino's in Asia with the Jews in Europe and the rest of the Western World. Sino's and Jews do have the ability to set up succesfull businesses, dare to take a risk and are in 99% of financial and gold/diamant trade.A better comparison is migrants pretty well everywhere. Like Jews in Europe (or faggots everywhere) they are outsiders and need to try harder

Yes. Also outcasts and minorities eg. Quakers in England- banned in the 18 c & 19 c (like catholics and other non-conformists) from all mainstream professions and thus excelled in biscuit making, confectionary, laundry and other forms of marginal but enriching enterprises.
I think Toxin is pure Chinese though.
From what I hear he took the Thai name 'Thaksin' for poliical reasons.
I may be wrong but I don't think there's a drop of Thai blood in this sino-locust.