PDA

View Full Version : California Wow

thrillbill
August 7th, 2008, 23:26
I am tired of my gym so maybe I'll get a membership at California Wow Gym in Pattaya. As many of you know this club is a bit "pushy' in their promotion techniques in BKK and Pattaya. If any of you know, what is the "real" (lowest) going rate for an annual membership.... The price varies like the beer prices in LOS.

1PR4BKK
August 8th, 2008, 02:41
I am tired of my gym so maybe I'll get a membership at California Wow Gym in Pattaya. As many of you know this club is a bit "pushy' in their promotion techniques in BKK and Pattaya. If any of you know, what is the "real" (lowest) going rate for an annual membership.... The price varies like the beer prices in LOS.

They are a bit pushy with their marketing. I went to California Wow to take tour of their facilities in Pattaya and was impressed with the place. However, I was not in the market for a multi-year membership at the time. The guy asked for my phone number before I left. Shortly after that visit I received many promotional SMS (in Thai and English) and phone calls from California Wow. When I asked them to stop they said that did not know why I was receiving promotional offers. So donтАЩt give them your mobile number if you want to avoid aggravation.

I would be curious to know the lowest going rate since I will be returning shortly for my 4-6 month stay in the LOS.

Sen Yai
August 8th, 2008, 03:55
Cheapest rate in LoS is currently 299 baht/month.

Cheap as chips. Go for it!

francois
August 8th, 2008, 15:26
Cheapest rate in LoS is currently 299 baht/month.

Cheap as chips. Go for it!

Can you be more specific? Are you referring to Calif WOW? I have a 3 year for 9000TB. I believe a one year rate was about 5000TB. Yes, beaucoup rates that keeping changing by the minute.

catawampuscat
August 8th, 2008, 15:35
They have deals that only allow you to use only the Pattaya facility, other rates includes use of all facilities in Thailand and even
one that allows use of affliated gyms worldwide.
There are endless promotional prices and discounts and someone will always get a cheaper price but it may not include
the same features.
Lots of the big signs with promotions that are full of small print and restrictions.

They have lifetime deals as well and they bet on most people giving up and not showing up.. :cat:

August 8th, 2008, 15:43
They have lifetime deals as well and they bet on most people giving up and not showing up.

Or people dying. I'm not sure there are many posters here for whom a lifetime membership would be a good deal.

Sen Yai
August 8th, 2008, 19:49
Can you be more specific? Are you referring to Calif WOW?

Certainement:

www.californiawowx.com/Promotions/promotions.php (http://www.californiawowx.com/Promotions/promotions.php)

They have lifetime deals as well and they bet on most people giving up and not showing up.

Or people dying. I'm not sure there are many posters here for whom a lifetime membership would be a good deal.

I bought a Lifetime Membership 8 years ago and I'm not planning on dying for another 40 or 50 years. Although I may visit the gym less frequently later......

thrillbill
August 18th, 2008, 06:12
...So I stopped by at California Gym in Pattaya to get the sales pitch over with; for, I had received a sales call from one of the staff telling me I could have a two week free trail, which is what most gyms will do. Right away (before the tour) I was seated down with the most expensive membership being offered, which was the life time membership. There are many kinds of memberships available... there is a life time membership; a membership which you can use in Pattaya and up in BKK; a membership that you can use ONLY in Pattaya; and a membership (if you ask) for the one in Pattaya but it is not for the different classes (arobic...yoga...spinning...farting...). So the one I was interested in was the 1 year membership in Pattaya only--using the gym only. It is 9,504 baht; but the three year on is 9999baht. When I told Khun Kitty that I wanted to try out the gym the next two weeks (remember the two week trial she promised?) she said "Well, I like to sell you the membership now, for the special offer may not be available by then." I just rolled my eyes and said, "I will take the chance. Maybe the price will go down" and laughed. The gym has new equipment and plenty of cardio machines but I thought it was a bit crowded with the layout What surprised me was that there is no pool, no sauna or steam room. A small irriation is that they do NOT supply towels and lock for your locker,( you have to bring your own). All the gyms in Pattaya Fairtex, Tony's, Dusit, Mariott... supply towels. Strange, all the California Wow gyms in BKK offer towels and locks to their members. It is a no brainer in making sure that the leaving member hands in his towel and lock. (maybe the Pattaya manager hasn't figured that out yet). If there is a lower price... let this post know, thanks.

yedo111
August 19th, 2008, 06:21
I think that Thais pay less than farangs in this place , am I right?

I saw some ads for Thais and it was cheap , around 300 Baht for a month.

9000 Baht for a year ? Forget it.

thrillbill
August 19th, 2008, 18:50
I doubt that...for 300 baht, it would be swamped with more Thai candy, but it isn't.

August 19th, 2008, 21:20
lock for your locker[/b],( you have to bring your own). All the gyms in Pattaya Fairtex, Tony's, Dusit, Mariott... supply towels. Strange, all the California Wow gyms in BKK offer towels and locks to their members. .

In some ways that is an advantage.

Two years ago a certain gym in Bangkok after suffering a spate of thefts from lockers which were locked with supplied locks found that an enterprising employee had 'acquired' a master key and was systematically doing the rounds of the lockers and making a good living in doing so.
At least with your own lock you reduce the chances of this happening, although of course a visit to MBK and a quiet word in the ear of your friendly 'locksmith' will produce a key that will open all but the more expensive of padlocks.

August 19th, 2008, 21:24
In some ways that is an advantage.

Two years ago a certain gym in Bangkok after suffering a spate of thefts from lockers which were locked with supplied locks found that an enterprising employee had 'acquired' a master key and was systematically doing the rounds of the lockers and making a good living in doing so.
At least with your own lock you reduce the chances of this happening, although of course a visit to MBK and a quiet word in the ear of your friendly 'locksmith' will produce a key that will open all but the more expensive of padlocks.

California gym at Silom have security guys hanging around the change rooms most if not all the time. They dont supply locks to all members, but there is a sign saying they are available.

thrillbill
August 19th, 2008, 22:17
good point! -reminds me of a serviced apartment I was staying in a couple years ago and one of the night clerks behind the desk had (of course) access to the room keys and ...the safety deposit box key (yes, remove a tab in front, and there is a key that will unlock it- not just the number combination)...so there were some safes unlocked and valuables were missing. My room was never opened (I guess) since the guy knew I was not out of the room since I had to work the next day... So, you never know how secure these "locks" are.

Sen Yai
August 20th, 2008, 02:35
I think that Thais pay less than farangs in this place , am I right?
I saw some ads for Thais and it was cheap , around 300 Baht for a month.
9000 Baht for a year ? Forget it.

I doubt that...for 300 baht, it would be swamped with more Thai candy, but it isn't.

For those incapable of clicking the link provided just a few posts above, the visually impaired, or the plain stupid; see if you can read the numbers below

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/SenYai/PRO_01_L.jpg

yedo111
August 20th, 2008, 07:22
Ok so its only written in Thai , I dont think they will let farangs in for that price......?

Have anyone paid 299? 12 months should be 3588 Baht.

If you ask for that price I'm sure they will look funny at you...

August 20th, 2008, 09:22
California gym at Silom have security guys hanging around the change rooms most if not all the time. They dont supply locks to all members, but there is a sign saying they are available.The padlocks or the security guys? :idea: