PDA

View Full Version : Bangkok Airport Train Completion?

1PR4BKK
August 4th, 2008, 09:18
When I was in BKK earlier this year construction was still in progress on the rail system which is supposed to connect Suvarnabhumi Airport to central Bangkok. It seemed like they were making pretty good progress when I left Thailand in April of this year.

Does anyone know if the construction is complete or if they have a new estimated completion date? The last completion date I heard was November 2007. However, that date has come and gone and work was still being performed. I am returning to BKK later this year and it would be great to know if I will be able to bypass the taxi at the airport and take a train right into central Bangkok or to BTS.

August 4th, 2008, 09:21
I think it is pretty safe to say that you'll be taking a taxi as usual.

August 4th, 2008, 10:33
I live close to the terminal station at Phayathai. They have nearly finished laying the concrete path for the tracks to be laid on, maybe 100m left. The station here seems to be the furthest from completion, they are still in the process of laying down the floors. I would really be surprised to see it in service within 12 months.

August 4th, 2008, 12:53
I would really be surprised to see it in service within 12 months.

Yup. Agree with you. From what I saw of the project a month ago, I figured I'd be taking taxis for 24 - 36 months yet.

sjaak327
August 4th, 2008, 13:50
Opening date is April 2009 according to the last report I have seen in the press.

August 4th, 2008, 13:57
april 1st?

1PR4BKK
August 4th, 2008, 17:29
Thanks for the heads-up guys. I will make sure I am prepared to take a taxi for the next few trip to Thailand. I do think that once the rails system is completed and functional the taxi and bus services will see quite a decline in ridership. I really canтАЩt wait to take a ride on the new airport trains when they begin running trips to central BKK.

...2010 perhaps?

August 4th, 2008, 17:57
I will not likely be tempted to take the train.

A taxi into town costs less than $10, and gives you fast door-to-door service.

I don't know what a ride on the train will cost, but it will mean 1) waiting for the train, 2) lugging your bags on and off, 3) getting a taxi to the sky train or underground, or to your final destination once you arrive in town. Not fun if you're traveling with suitcases.

I'm betting that, once you get through screwing with the train, you will have spent more time, sweat more, and not ended up spending all that much less than if you've just taken a taxi.

But, time will tell.

August 4th, 2008, 19:24
I don't know what a ride on the train will cost, but it will mean 1) waiting for the train, 2) lugging your bags on and off, 3) getting a taxi to the sky train or underground, or to your final destination once you arrive in town. Not fun if you're traveling with suitcases.

I'm betting that, once you get through screwing with the train, you will have spent more time, sweat more, and not ended up spending all that much less than if you've just taken a taxi.

I am tempted to make a comparision with Hong Kong, where you can walk from the plane, through passport control, baggage hall, customs, right to the door of the airport express train wheeling a luggage trolley and without going up or down a single step or escalator. When you get off the train, there are luggage trolleys laid out on the platform if you need them, and again you can walk straight to a taxi stand or free shuttle bus to major hotels without going up or down steps or escalators. Well planned and thought out - and it opened before the airport!

thrillbill
August 4th, 2008, 19:28
I can't imagine most BKK tourists using the Skytrain to the airport since you FIRST have to get from the hotel to the Skytrain station. But if all you have is a carry-on, then no problem. The taxis are still a good deal to take to the airport. Maybe the majority of the passengers will be Thais who work at the airport....????

Instead of spending the millions of baht on the extension of the Skytrain, the city officials (what ever you want to call them) should have FIRST fixed something simple like their so called sidewalks downtown...what a mess.

August 4th, 2008, 19:34
Instead of spending the millions of baht on the extension of the Skytrain, the city officials (what ever you want to call them) should have FIRST fixed something simple like their so called sidewalks downtown...what a mess.

I think the millions of people who live on the Thonburi side of the river might disagree with you.

1PR4BKK
August 4th, 2008, 19:40
I will not likely be tempted to take the train.

A taxi into town costs less than $10, and gives you fast door-to-door service.

But, time will tell.

Of course, if I have a bunch of large items or luggage, I would not consider taking anything other than a taxi or private limo to my final destination. However, since I usually travel light (small carry on roller bag and backpack containing laptop and other small gadgets) I am tempted to be adventurous and explore the train when it is up and running. I just think that 15 minutes to central Bangkok compared to about an hour on the highway would be a pleasant change. I may still have to catch a taxi to my hotel from central BKK but more than likely I am sure I can take the BTS or underground train to my desired accommodations.

August 4th, 2008, 19:42
I just think that 15 minutes to central Bangkok compared to about an hour on the highway would be a pleasant change.

An hour? Are you accustomed to making the trip on donkey back?

1PR4BKK
August 4th, 2008, 19:51
I just think that 15 minutes to central Bangkok compared to about an hour on the highway would be a pleasant change.

An hour? Are you accustomed to making the trip on donkey back?

The last time I was there the traffic was so bad that it indeed took almost an hour to get to my hotel from the airport. However, riding an ass would have been a better option and thrill for me.

sjaak327
August 5th, 2008, 00:22
I can't imagine most BKK tourists using the Skytrain to the airport since you FIRST have to get from the hotel to the Skytrain station. But if all you have is a carry-on, then no problem. The taxis are still a good deal to take to the airport. Maybe the majority of the passengers will be Thais who work at the airport....????

Well, considering the state of Bangkok traffic, investing in skytrain extensions are very much needed, as above, people in Thonburi will be very happy once the Thaskin extension will run.

In Hongkong there is much more incentive to take the train, as taxi into HK island are much more expensive then taking the train. I do like their city side check-in facilities by the way, something that might also be offered at Makkasan.

of course the rail link might be a surrogate skytrain for people living near any of it's stations, as the local line, will now be priced by distance, I live near Ramkhamhaeng station (Klong Tan), and for me if I can make that train (it runs twice an hour), would be a very fast option into Phetburi (Makkasan), I now take the Saen Saeb canal boat.

August 5th, 2008, 08:20
I passed close to Makkasan a few weeks ago and the overhead section of the track crossing the road was still missing. At the Phayathai end they are currently completing the last section of the track which runs on top of the new Phaya Thai station something like a couple of hundred metres. I believe that the idea is that you will not need to check in at the airport but can travel to Makkasan check in and then take the train to the airport.

thrillbill
August 5th, 2008, 20:41
Definately, taking the future Skytrain from the airport TO downtown BKK would be faster than taking a taxi due to the traffic jams. When I go to Bkk, I prefer to take the bus from Pattaya, then get off the bus at Au Nut Station (the beginning of the Skytrain route to Siam station ). It is a faster way to the Silom area than driving to BKK or taking a taxi.

August 5th, 2008, 20:56
I suspect that the train will be comfortable & safer than taxis.

Also, the ticket machine is unlikely to try ripping me off.

Unless of course, they set fares similar to the Heathrow Express.

August 5th, 2008, 23:07
Unless of course, they set fares similar to the Heathrow Express.

I don't know what the Heathrow Express costs but I can imagine it is heart-stopping. If anything, the Thais are likely to peg the Express Train fares to those in Kuala Lumpur or Hong Kong. (Strangely, Singapore does not have an express train to the airport, so no comparison can be made.) In Kuala Lumpur, it is 35 Ringgit to downtown, which is about 360 baht. In Hong Kong, it is 90 or 100 HK Dollars. That's about 390 - 430 baht.

A typical taxi ride to Silom is currently about Baht 230 (meter) + 50 (airport surcharge) +65 (tolls) = 345 baht. No doubt, rates are increasing even as we speak and may be quite different by the time the train runs.

Having said that, the Thais are quite capable of laying on hefty charges if they think only foreigners will be affected. For example, Suvarnabhumi's airport tax is 700 Baht. Compare this to Kuala Lumpur where it is 45 Ringgit (460 Baht), to Hong Kong's HK$120 (515 Baht) and Singapore, where it is Sin$15 (360 Baht).

So.... don't be surprised if the train to Makkasan does approximate Heathrow Express' fares.

August 5th, 2008, 23:44
Having said that, the Thais are quite capable of laying on hefty charges if they think only foreigners will be affected. For example, Suvarnabhumi's airport tax is 700 Baht.

I wasn't aware that no Thais used the airport. Learn something new every day!

sjaak327
August 5th, 2008, 23:49
"Having said that, the Thais are quite capable of laying on hefty charges if they think only foreigners will be affected. For example, Suvarnabhumi's airport tax is 700 Baht. Compare this to Kuala Lumpur where it is 45 Ringgit (460 Baht), to Hong Kong's HK$120 (515 Baht) and Singapore, where it is Sin$15 (360 Baht).

So.... don't be surprised if the train to Makkasan does approximate Heathrow Express' fares."

Well... of course the Thais pay that same 700 baht, and it's not that bad, Cambodia charges 25 USD.

The price for the express train into Makkasan has been announced already, and will be 150 baht.

August 6th, 2008, 00:01
Having said that, the Thais are quite capable of laying on hefty charges if they think only foreigners will be affected. For example, Suvarnabhumi's airport tax is 700 Baht. Compare this to Kuala Lumpur where it is 45 Ringgit (460 Baht), to Hong Kong's HK$120 (515 Baht) and Singapore, where it is Sin$15 (360 Baht).

By the way, Singapore's airport tax is now S$21 (512 baht).

PS: anyone been around long enough to remember when Thais (and Thais only) had to pay an additional exit tax of 1,000 baht every time they left the country? I do.

sjaak327
August 6th, 2008, 00:59
Airport Link Ready for Testrun in May 2009
Post Today 21 July 2008

Now, Airport Link is 90% done ... ready for 6 month test run in May 2009.

SRT has issued the ticket rate as follows:

1) Airport Express - New makkasan - Suvannabhum Nonstop 15 Minutes -> 150 Baht
2) Airport Transit - Phyathai - Suvannabhum with 6 intermediate stations 30 Minutes -> 15 + (N * 0.80) N = Number of km -> 16 - 38 Baht.

If test run is going very well, the fulll services will be styarted in December 2009.

SRT is going to set up the subsidiary to run both Airport Link and Red line commuters to ensure smooth transition of both systems.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthrea ... 31&page=14 (http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=583731&page=14)

1PR4BKK
August 6th, 2008, 02:29
Now, Airport Link is 90% done ... ready for 6 month test run in May 2009.

SRT has issued the ticket rate as follows:

1) Airport Express - New makkasan - Suvannabhum Nonstop 15 Minutes -> 150 Baht
2) Airport Transit - Phyathai - Suvannabhum with 6 intermediate stations 30 Minutes -> 15 + (N * 0.80) N = Number of km -> 16 - 38 Baht.

If test run is going very well, the fulll services will be styarted in December 2009.

SRT is going to set up the subsidiary to run both Airport Link and Red line commuters to ensure smooth transition of both systems.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthrea ... 31&page=14 (http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=583731&page=14)

Thanks for the link. Really good photos of the construction at the URL.

Beachlover
August 18th, 2008, 10:20
A train would be attractive to me if it is reasonably fast. it might only save a few dollars, but it saves lining up for a taxi and saves getting stuck in traffic. The traffic coming from the airport can take ages!

It's also air conditioned and comfortable. I usually stay nearby or right next to (literally) a skytrain station, so it's almost door to door service. I have no problems carring my bags as I'm fit and travel light. Even if I wasn't staying next to a station, a quick 40baht tuk tuk ride after alighting isn't bad.

But if you're carring a bit of luggage or are haggered after a long flight, a taxi might still be the way to go.

I guess it will depend on how fast the train is... and whether they charge exorbitant fees for it.

August 18th, 2008, 10:30
Strangely, Singapore does not have an express train to the airport, so no comparison can be made.I find the MRT airport service from Changi to downtown quite adequate except for having to get out and change trains (with the inevitable wait) at the intermediate station on the line, plus it's only from T2 etc. It beats me why the Singaporeans didn't do better planning from the beginning, especially as they consciously set out to make Changi a hub. 15 or 16 pounds for the Heathrow Express obviously isn't too heart-stopping for many people - it's pretty much full every time I take it - and it runs every 10 to 15 minutes

anakot
August 19th, 2008, 20:48
Sjaak
Many thanks for the link. Very interesting. I have been watching it slowly edge its way along. Can't wait for it to be finished. I always think the most likely place that I will end up dead is in some Bangkok taxi going to Suvanaphumi. Why do they have to fiddle with all the buttons while they drive 2 feet from the car in front at break neck speed! So roll on fast train or any ole train! I'll be using it.

By the way as far as Hong Kong is concerned apart from taxi and fast train there are of course tons of buses ('Citybus') regularly going on all routes to Chet Lap Kok. Cheap too. About a third of the train fare although probably not quite as convenient. Wherever I have lived in HK they have never been far.

Beachlover
August 19th, 2008, 21:16
Has anyone noticed all the taxis in Phuket have their speed indicators disabled?

How thoughtful. I feel much better suspecting, but not being able to confirm that my vehicle is hurtling up the highway at 160kms/hr.