PDA

View Full Version : Taxi fares increase in Bangkok

August 1st, 2008, 06:53
The price of cabs has gone up.
The flag-fall is still 35 Baht but you get a shorter distance for the money and the 2 Baht increment also gets a reduced distance.
My previous going home fare from Silom was usually 47 Baht; now it's 59 or sometimes 61 or 63 Baht if the traffic is bad.

No great hardship for us high-rollers on the SGT board but think of the poor boys who need to ask for a little taxi money after doing their duty for Papa.

August 1st, 2008, 07:43
No great hardship for us high-rollers on the SGT board but think of the poor boys who need to ask for a little taxi money after doing their duty for Papa.Indeed - all those boys who say "I not money boy but you can pay taxi?" will be putting their tariffs up again. By the way there seems to be an unspoken ratio in the Soi Twilight bars between the tip and the "off" fee of 5:1, so I'm assuming some of those boys now expect 2500 baht tips (where they get them is another matter) since the off fee has reportedly gone up at the BBB Group. Someone told me Jupiter was trying it on for 600 baht but as the boys there mostly prefer the Asian customer I don't include that bar in The White Man's Burden

thrillbill
August 1st, 2008, 08:42
...compared to taxis in the US, Europe, or Japan, the taxi fare in Bkk is still reasonable. Whenever one uses them in Bangkok you certainly get more for your money (per kilometer) than when you PRIVATELY hire one of those pick-ups with a bench (called a baht bus) in Pattaya... most likely 120 baht ride verses 65 baht in a taxi for the same distance.

August 1st, 2008, 09:48
...compared to taxis in the US, Europe, or Japan, the taxi fare in Bkk is still reasonable. How is this relevant? I can buy chicken fried rice in Bangkok for 30 baht at my friendly noodle stand in the lane outside; in the UK it's around 8 pounds, in Australia 7 or 8 dollars. Comparing prices between countries means nothing outside the context of income

TrongpaiExpat
August 1st, 2008, 13:11
For short distances in taxis it's not much difference. For me to get home late at night from the same spot I used to pay 41 Baht, 43 if we got caught at a long red light. I usually gave 50B, now it's 47 Baht and I still give 50.

hire one of those pick-ups with a bench (called a baht bus) in Pattaya...

Called a "Baht Bus" in Pattaya by farangs, everywhere else in Thailand they are called Sawngthaew or spelled as 'Song-Tow', but that leads to mispronunciation. I have used this word with some Pattaya farangs and they don't know what I am taking about and I have to say, Baht bus. Still, it a bargain by whatever you call it.

sjaak327
August 1st, 2008, 13:44
It was about time that they raised the fares, as they have been this way for as long as I can remember. Fuel has been on the up for many years now. Bangkok busses had price increases during that period for instance.

the Songthaew as Pattaya has them, are hardly ever seen in Bangkok. They do have a multitude of different Songthaew's in the various neighborhoods of Bangkok, including those cute small red ones, where the benches are situated horizontally, and they have some huge Songthaew's that are quite long. The cute red ones are cheap, even if hired individually, as there is no flagg call on these. These typically won't take you very far anyway, as they would normally cruise certain neighborhoods.

allieb
August 1st, 2008, 14:33
...compared to taxis in the US, Europe, or Japan, the taxi fare in Bkk is still reasonable. Whenever one uses them in Bangkok you certainly get more for your money (per kilometer) than when you PRIVATELY hire one of those pick-ups with a bench (called a baht bus) in Pattaya... most likely 120 baht ride verses 65 baht in a taxi for the same distance.

We should never compare prices in Thailand with another country there are too many factors to consider.But as you have, then take a look at this.

Thai restaurant workers salary to be say 6,000 Baht a month
Taxi from Bkk airport to Silom 350 Baht. Result the taxi fare is about 6% of his salary

Salary of a restaurant worker in London about 1,600 pounds a month
Taxi from London airport to town 60 pounds result 4% of his salary

I'm sure that there will be some smart arses who will try to prove this wrong but I have just taken this profession as I know people in it in both countries and these salaries have been quoted to me.

August 1st, 2008, 15:27
Does anybody have experience with the new Taxi-meter in Pattaya?
Someone told they would charge same like in Bangkok. A drive from Jomtien to Boystown was only 45Baht. Can't believe it.

August 1st, 2008, 20:30
Pictures of mass murderers are allowed here? One contribution of one member was deleted shortly after i read it in the morning. So i can put a picture of Osama in my profil?

August 1st, 2008, 20:51
Your slogan, "Fly first class before your heirs do!" really resonates with me.

I have a video of my own dad, cracking jokes just a few years before he died. He was talking about buying golf shoes in the pro shop with his old friend J.T. J.T. held up a pair of shoes and said, "Fifty-six dollars???!!! I would never ever pay fifty-six dollars for a pair of frigging golf shoes!!" To which my dad replied, "Maybe not, J.T. But your kids will!" :-)

August 1st, 2008, 20:52
Pictures of mass murderers are allowed here?

Alleged mass murderers. There has been no trial yet, and we do adhere to the "innocent until proven guilty" maxim...don't we?

August 2nd, 2008, 05:04
I missed the mass murderer. Who was it?..........Bush?

August 2nd, 2008, 07:23
I just got back to China from BKK and must say that the Taxi drivers here are a little more polite than in BKK. I am an Australian living here and that was my first visit to Thailand. It weas raining and I just wanted to get back to my hotel and they would take me unless they could go "NO METER". Here, they will not use the meter late at night so the fares are CHEAPER but there the fares were more expensive than without the meter. I intend to return to Thailand again soon but will bypass BKK given the chance.

August 2nd, 2008, 10:16
I just got back to China from BKK and must say that the Taxi drivers here are a little more polite than in BKK. I am an Australian ...

... and therefore an expert on all things 'polite'.

August 2nd, 2008, 10:23
Try to get a better rate from the rip-off tuk-tuk drivers!

You can get pretty much anywhere in Bangkok for less than $5US in a chauffer driven, air-conditioned cab.

The only better deal is the ferry boat up the river which is the cheapest tour attraction on the face of the planet.

August 2nd, 2008, 10:26
The only better deal is the ferry boat up the river which is the cheapest tour attraction on the face of the planet.Absolutely - I take all of my friends in Bangkok for the first time for a ferry boat ride to Nonthaburi and back

catawampuscat
August 2nd, 2008, 10:30
The new metered taxis in Pattaya don't use the meters.. Many camp out in front of the new Avenue Mall on Second Rd. and quote
prices which are can be bargained down.. Some drivers aggressively approach potential customers exiting the Mall and ask where
they are going and then quote relatively high prices and don't use the meters.

I haven't tried one yet but during rainy season they will be in demand or when it is very hot and if one doesn't like getting on motorbike
taxis..

Perhaps, some other posters have tried the new metered taxicabs and can report back on the situation first hand... :cat:

Sen Yai
August 2nd, 2008, 15:44
I just got back to China from BKK and must say that the Taxi drivers here are a little more polite than in BKK.

But in Wuhan there is a plastic screen that separates you from the driver so that you can't spit on the back of his head, right?

August 2nd, 2008, 18:41
...the ferry boat up the river which is the cheapest tour attraction on the face of the planet.

You cannot have been to any of the free London museums, on the Star Ferry in Hong Kong (where the 1966 increase of 5 HKcents led to the 1966 riots), to Jerudong Park in Brunei while it was free for a number of years, etc, etc .....