PDA

View Full Version : Taksin's Wife Gets Three Years

July 31st, 2008, 12:46
Pojaman get three years imprisomentIt's a sad day when your average thaicoon's family can't get away with ripping off the masses

sjaak327
July 31st, 2008, 12:58
Sad indeed, I doubt she will spend one minute in jail. Of course if all fails, she could always ask her husband to run for office again, he just has to wait three years, and then he'll be elected for sure.

Thai polictics is all about corruption, and I'm not surprised this is happening, as the Shinawatra's are a thread to the ruling elite in Thailand and they need to be deposed off one way or antother, either by militairy force or by a dodgy justice system.

July 31st, 2008, 13:35
She will look very fetching in one of those orange romper suits wearing shackles.
Does anyone know how long it takes for a prisoner to become a 'trustee'? ... she could end up cleaning the sewers on Silom

July 31st, 2008, 15:18
It's on the high def right now.

HE is shown sitting in the first row.

Unfortunately translator is at the dentist and I can't be sure what the are saying.

August 1st, 2008, 08:35
curruption is good for everybody, so Thailand will remain a third world country and provide plenty of cheap sex forever.

August 1st, 2008, 17:14
curruption is good for everybody, so Thailand will remain a third world country and provide plenty of cheap sex forever.
Think just how much cheaper it would be if the bars did not have to pay tens of thousands of Baht each to the BIB once a month! The Thai manager of one of my favourite bars told me they have to pay the local BIB 30,000 Baht a month to 'protect' them against being constantly hassled and raided.

August 1st, 2008, 17:45
Think just how much cheaper it would be if the bars did not have to pay tens of thousands of Baht each to the BIB once a month!

That would only be possible if prostitution were legalized. Which it won't. So, the bar owners' choice is to either not engage in an illegal business, or to pay the price for having the cops look the other way. Not sure who the villain is in this story.

August 1st, 2008, 18:05
Even bars and some other businesses that are not engaged in illegal activity pay the BIB

What is the reason they would do such a thing? The only reason to pay the cops anything is if they've got something on you. Whether it's opening hours, allowing smoking, not being properly registered or licensed, not paying your taxes, having illegals on your staff, or any one or a combination of dozens of things. The reason may not be as visible as it might be with the whore bars, but it is there.

August 1st, 2008, 18:23
Chao Na you obviously do not understand the 'Thai way' Any entertainment business owned by foreigners and some owned by Thais, be it a straight forward licensed bar confirming to the law of the land or a restaurant has to pay a bribe in one form or another to avoid harassment by the BIB. If you know of any establishments that do not then I stand corrected, but sadly I don't think I will be!

Brad the Impala
August 1st, 2008, 18:27
Even bars and some other businesses that are not engaged in illegal activity pay the BIB

What is the reason they would do such a thing?

For protection against those who are engaged in illegal activity.

It's like taxes. In some countries you pay more to the government who pay more to the police. In other countries the police receive only a small salary from the government, and citzens pay less to the government in taxes. Good citizens should surely pay some of their untaxed income to directly subsidise the police, who may not be being paid a salary that is sufficient to live on.

It's your civic duty!

August 1st, 2008, 20:58
A friend send me the follow report. No idea where he get it from. But its very interesting:

-Where to next for 'Imelda & Frank'? (Thaksin's nickname by Man City
footballers is 'Frank' as in Sinatra). There will be an appeal in 30
days of course, however, if Mr. Thaksin's wife is found guilty on
appeal to the Supreme Administrative Court, it's straight to jail (no
further appeals). Just as in the case where Thaksin's lawyers were
immediately jailed for bribery recently.

As for 'Frank', Mr Thaksin has a plan and a few options available.

The plan - try to 'buy' as much time for his PPP proxy Govt to ram
through a new constitution with lightning speed which they hope will
negate much of the 'pesky' court cases (or all) for BOTH... AND again,
'buy' enough time to get to the annual Sept re-shuffle of the Military
and Civil Service ranks, to ensure all potential bases are completely
covered and importantly, absolutely loaded with team-players.

IF this doesn't seem possible due to the ever closing noose of the
court(s), Frank and Imelda apparently have a door left open to travel
abroad and simply not return - until the PPP has 'corrected the
situation' allowing for a triumphant return that is. It almost appears
they've been left with a 'soft exit' option in order to avoid conflict
escalation(?)

However, in the RIGHT NOW, Mr. Samak and the PPP have to quickly
re-shuffle the Cabinet (tomorrow likely) and also tomorrow, open the
new session.

Priority one? RAM THE CONSTITUTION CHANGE THROUGH, voiding election
fraud laws and all ASC, AEC, NCCC etc rulings and void they ever even
existed - and nothing and no one is going to stand in their way...This
has been the ONLY plan since day ONE of course, not the economy, nor
foreign investment, nor poor rice farmers, nor anything else period.
Anyone whom believes otherwise is sadly deluded.

The PAD have been fully aware of the Thaksin/PPP plan from day one of
course and are promising a whopping rally tommorow... However, with
last weeks' bloody beating by pro-Govt thugs in Udon Thani (whilst
police stood idly by) and this weeks' nutter driving a car loaded with
guns into the PAD stage, it will be a challenge to assure people it's
'safe', particularly given the verdict today and possible reprisals.
Just look who's the rumoured new interior minister, the Police Chief
whom was sacked for lack of duty or will to investigate the new years
bombings in Bkk. (still unsolved but it's fairly obvious whom was
ultimately behind it).

So, what's at stake? If the constitution is changed, thus Thaksin and
the PPP exonerated, expect EVERY and ANY remaining 'independent'
public institutions and watchdogs to be stacked with PPP/Thaksin
team-player/cronies and expect a loooong dynasty at the public trough
for PPP/Thaksin, COMPLETELY unfettered to do as they wish, landslide
election after landslide assuredly 'in the BAG'. Anyone getting out of
line or making 'noises' like say a 'free' press, or rally-goers etc,
can expect an Udon Thani-like reprisal or simply stitched-up in jail.
THIS is democracy to some apparently.

August 2nd, 2008, 05:20
Chao Na you obviously do not understand the 'Thai way' Any entertainment business owned by foreigners and some owned by Thais, be it a straight forward licensed bar confirming to the law of the land or a restaurant has to pay a bribe in one form or another to avoid harassment by the BIB. If you know of any establishments that do not then I stand corrected, but sadly I don't think I will be!Chao Na (aka. boygeenyus) is a fan of the Nancy Reagan slogan "Just say 'no'". Whenever the topic of corruption in Thailand has come up he will go as far as admitting that illegal activities such as prostitution (aka. go-go bars) do encourage corruption. However the blinkers go up when any other enterprise is being discussed. He cannot comprehend that every day, for example, many motor-cyclists are pulled over in Bangkok and extorted money by the boys in brown on some trumped-up excuse, because they can. He believes that if those drivers simply said "No" that would be the end of the matter. The notion that a perfectly legitimate business like a bar (@Richards, say, which seems to operate solely within the bounds of the law) would be making cash contributions to one of the local constabulary is beyond his comprehension. He claims to have lived in Thailand for twenty years (the same period as me, coincidentally) and still persists with this naive belief

giggsy
August 2nd, 2008, 06:58

what about the big business's like Hilton hotel ,MacDonald's,kfc,subway etc. do these company's pay tea money or are they exempt?

Brad the Impala
August 2nd, 2008, 11:12

what about the big business's like Hilton hotel ,MacDonald's,kfc,subway etc. do these company's pay tea money or are they exempt?

Of course they contribute, to a higher level of officer, and not just tea but lapsang souchong.

August 2nd, 2008, 11:56

Can someone please tell a complete newbee what the 'BIB' is?

I cannot find it in the Wikipedia, unless ... A "bag in box". Close, maybe?

August 2nd, 2008, 12:03
Can someone please tell a complete newbee what the 'BIB' is? In the West the police often wear a blue uniform hence "Boys In Blue". In Thailand (and I believe this is entirely appropriate as the Thai police are shits) the uniform is shit-coloured and on this Board they are sometimes therefore called "Boys In Brown"

August 2nd, 2008, 12:06
Boys In Brown... as in the UK's Boys In Blue... You should be able to work that out.

Not from the UK! And like I said I am NEW here.

Interesting at that! Are the UK uniforms in one section as tight as the ones I see here?

August 2nd, 2008, 12:11
Are the UK uniforms in one section as tight as the ones I see here?Perhaps you could undertake a survey?

August 2nd, 2008, 13:54
A "bag in box". Close, maybe?

A Bag in Box. Hmmmmm. Is that how things are DIT?

and it IS in the Wikipedia ...

I am ROTFL right now.

Punintended?

I wonder how long you've been here, YHDAR.

August 2nd, 2008, 15:32
I wish hummingturd would stop putting words in my mouth. Either he is mistaking me for someone else, or he is completely senile. The Thai police are corrupt from top to bottom. Perhaps not as corrupt as, say, the Indonesian police, but right up there. Why would anyone think anything else? Moron.

sjaak327
August 2nd, 2008, 15:45
Yep corrupt to the core.

Actually the tourist police could be called boys in blue.

August 2nd, 2008, 16:23
My position has always been that the police are corrupt, but that's the way we like it. Imagine Thailand without corruption, where all laws were enforced to the letter. Sound like fun to you? Doesn't me.

August 3rd, 2008, 03:35

One good point.
The only way Thailand will remain cheap for us in the long term is if the economic damage done by a corrupt Thai government exceeds that done by the incompetence of the Brown & Bush governments. And that takes some doing.

August 3rd, 2008, 05:23
The only way Thailand will remain cheap for us in the long term is if the economic damage done by a corrupt Thai government exceeds that done by the incompetence of the Brown & Bush governments. And that takes some doing.That shows a rather superficial analysis of the difference between the US, the UK and Thailand. In the former countries there is a system of checks and balances to ensure that governments don't last forever. In Thailand the system itself is corrupt; until that is fixed Thailand will continue down its current path

August 3rd, 2008, 09:44
Perhaps you could undertake a survey?

Well, aaawwwwllllll-rite then, POLLS it shall be. What a great idea.

August 3rd, 2008, 11:38
Perhaps you could undertake a survey?

Well, aaawwwwllllll-rite then, POLLS it shall be. What a great idea.

Now look what the mangy RAT did.