PDA

View Full Version : WhiteDesire will be creaming his jeans - Baht to weaken

July 30th, 2008, 16:33
Yes, it's official - "experts claim that the baht will weaken to 35 to the USD by the end of the year" - http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2008/07 ... 079330.php (http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2008/07/30/business/business_30079330.php)

July 30th, 2008, 17:11
There are two conflicting opinions in this newspaper report - one person says up and the other says down. Homiterm - another piece of rubbish you've been reading - how much rubbish can you store!

July 30th, 2008, 17:31
There are two conflicting opinions in this newspaper report - one person says up and the other says down. Homiterm - another piece of rubbish you've been reading - how much rubbish can you store!How big is the Internet, dear boy?

TrongpaiExpat
July 30th, 2008, 18:05
WhiteDesire will be creaming his jeans

Good news but first, he needs a pair of jeans and a shirt.

lonelywombat
July 30th, 2008, 18:09
There are two conflicting opinions in this newspaper report - one person says up and the other says down. Homiterm - another piece of rubbish you've been reading - how much rubbish can you store!

The Australian dollar is quoted at 31.80 to the baht today This is the highest I have seen
Will whitedesire predict if it will go higher?? Or has it peaked
You can store your rubbish here

lonelywombat
July 30th, 2008, 18:52
All these currencies go up and down like yoyos, affected by all kinds of things. The current political mess in Thailand doesn't look encouraging for the Baht in the short term.

But is not white desire a currency expert

July 30th, 2008, 21:06
There are two conflicting opinions in this newspaper report - one person says up and the other says down. Homiterm - another piece of rubbish you've been reading - how much rubbish can you store!How big is the Internet, dear boy?

Not as big as your head "dearest"

July 30th, 2008, 21:09
All these currencies go up and down like yoyos, affected by all kinds of things. The current political mess in Thailand doesn't look encouraging for the Baht in the short term.

But is not white desire a currency expert

Nah, I'm not, just take an interest.

July 30th, 2008, 23:25
Just as a hypothetical, let's imagine that your US income is $2,000 per month.

If you get 30 baht to the dollar, that gives you 60,000 baht. BUT if you get 40 baht, that gives you 80,000 baht.

20,000 baht is the difference, and it could amount to quite a bit of...what?...

"I pause for a reply."

Dodger
July 31st, 2008, 03:05
I've been watching this trend myself and glad to see that the baht has weakened to $1/U.S. to 33.78 just in the past 60 days.

I use the link below which has always provided reliable data:

http://www.oanda.com/convert/classic

I'm hoping it will hit $1/U.S. to 35 baht by October to help offset the inflated drink prices in Pattaya.

Cheers...

jimnbkk
July 31st, 2008, 03:22
varies a lot from site to site:

Oanda: roughly 33.78 Baht/Dollar (although there is a wide range reported here - very confusing)
Bank of Ayadhya: 33.14 B/D
XE.com: 33.49 B/D
Siam Commercial Bank: 33.12 B/D

Which to believe? My account is at Siam Commercial Bank. Looks like that's the worst rate going!
But, 33+ is a lot better than what it was, and if it continues to go up before my October trip, I'll be happy.

Jetsam
July 31st, 2008, 03:44
now : 1 euro = 53 bht

then : 1 euro = 36 bht ( 1999, conversed from guilder our currency at that time)

long live the Euro and weakening bath and dollar

Beachlover
July 31st, 2008, 05:34
Hehe... what will weaken faster? The Baht or the USD? Like 2 planes spiraling to the ground... you gotta wonder which one will hit first...

AUD is strong as anything now... lucky us

mahjongguy
July 31st, 2008, 05:49
varies a lot from site to site:

Oanda: roughly 33.78 Baht/Dollar (although there is a wide range reported here - very confusing)
Bank of Ayadhya: 33.14 B/D
XE.com: 33.49 B/D
Siam Commercial Bank: 33.12 B/D

Which to believe?

Currency sites like XE.COM list the offshore trading price of the baht. That price can be significantly different (better/worse) from the "reality" of what you will get when you bring money into Thailand.

Kasikornbank is paying 33.39 for USD at the moment. That is a "real" figure (minus a 500 baht fee).

July 31st, 2008, 06:00
For those of you who care, and who use Yahoo Widgets, there's a good one called Asia Currency - http://www.softpedia.com/get/Windows-Wi ... ency.shtml (http://www.softpedia.com/get/Windows-Widgets/Widget-Finances-Business/AsiaCurrency.shtml)

For the likes of WhiteDesire it's an orgasm every few minutes as the prices are updated from Oanda and although the default "home" currency is the US dollar, you can set that to be anything (mine's set the UK pound)

July 31st, 2008, 10:03
the baht will weaken to 35 to the USD by

Tell me about this when it's 44.

July 31st, 2008, 20:46
I am no economist, but I have some familiarity with basic economics, and a "weak" currency basically says nothing about the state of the underlying economy. Lots of things cause rates to rise and fall, and one important factor is the government's desire to encourage exports. People who have dollar/sterling/euro incomes while living in Thailand may gnash their teeth when the rate goes against them, and celebrate when it goes in their favor, but their government is not thinking about them.

As one example among many, I have read numerous postings about the dollar going to hell, and the fantastic strength of the euro. Yet very few seem to recall that this very subject was topic #1 when Sarkozy visited Bush, and Sarkozy was, to put it mildly, NOT HAPPY. He regarded the "weakness" of the U.S. dollar almost as an act of theft -- as European economies lost steam and appeared to be heading for a recession, presumably due to an enormous drop in European exports.

Regarding the baht, I only have one "theory" that I watch: my former boyfriend blames vast government megaprojects for the falling baht in general. The current situation is interesting in that regard: the government's list of megaprojects now stands at around 1.4 TRILLION baht. Factor in political unrest, and I would bet five baht that we haven't seen the low point yet. More important, I would bet a whole bunch of baht by leaving my dollars as dollars for the next three months or so, while observing further developments.

But, unless something really terrible happens, I wouldn't expect to see more than 40 baht to the dollar. And there's always the possibility that the dollar will start getting stronger. Rates go up, and rates go down, and nobody knows what will happen in the future.

August 2nd, 2008, 08:33
Once everyone piles on to one side of a trade it's time to start looking around for a different bet. The Euro is too high and the European Central bank is fighting the wrong enemy. Inflation is not a problem any more but de-flation is. Once their economy goes into the tank they'll realize the mistake and start lowering rates and then the dollar will jump.

And all this nonsense about Bernake "dropping dollars from helicopters"? Those dollars have all been sucked up by the big Black Hole of the banking crisis. The money supply which was growing at a 14% annual rate at the beginning of the year has hit a brick wall and is now only growing at a .5% rate.

But then, I might be wrong....... :dontknow: