View Full Version : Airlines choices---

March 10th, 2006, 10:47
Has anyone tried China Air from the US to BKK? The airfares are decent and they can't be worse than Northworst---or can they? Their schedules are better than many--flights that arrive in mid-day and leave BKK after 8:00AM rather than 6:00AM. And they appear to earn Delta Skymiles. Little leg room? Poor safety record? Is EVA or Cathay the better choice?

March 10th, 2006, 11:32
I flew China from Hong Kong after I missed my connection with Cathay and definately was not impressed. In Terms of leg room, according to the Airline Legroom guide, their is 32" between seats on Cathay & China. Eva has 34" in Economy and 38" in Evergreen Class. I primarily fly Cathay since I like the schedule and the service & food is above average. Cathay also gives American miles but you have to be careful when you book because most of the low fares you find on the internet don't qualify. In terms of safety, China has the worst safety record of any asian airline, although they have not had an accident since 2002.

Davey612
March 10th, 2006, 11:32
Not knowing your port of origen, we can't say much. It looks like China Air connects in Beijing or Shanghai. I don't personally know how good those airports are for transit passengers.
[NOTE: My bad. On re-reading the OP's message, he commented about earning Delta Skymiles. So, the only partner airline would be China Airlines, the Taiwan airline, and not Air China].

I personally would use Cathay Pacific if you are leaving from SFO, LAX, JFK. Although its cheapest fares may not earn miles with its U.S. partner (AA), you can still earn miles in its own program (Asian miles).

[If you want a bit more space between seat rows, then try EVA's premium economy.]
[As for China Airlines, I don't have personal experience, though a friend of mine who used to take it found service ok, similar to U.S. carriers. I decided not to fly China Airlines just because of the poor safety record back in the early 90s. It seems ok nowadays.]

I like Cathay because it allows me an overnight flight, arriving BKK in the morning. Departing from BKK is at a reasonable 11:20AM flight, with connections in HKG for all other parts of the U.S.

Just a couple of caveats if you use Cathay Pacific. The connection in HKG can be stressful because of the long lines at the transit points. Also, CX seems to carry a lot of customers from the Indian subcontinent. They all seem to request special meals. That delays the meal service for all other customers. I sent a note to CX asking them why not just put all the special meal passengers in one cabin.

Otherwise, a wonderful airline with excellent crew service. My favorite Asian airline (that and Bangkok Air).

cottmann
March 10th, 2006, 13:17
Has anyone tried China Air from the US to BKK? The airfares are decent and they can't be worse than Northworst---or can they? Their schedules are better than many--flights that arrive in mid-day and leave BKK after 8:00AM rather than 6:00AM. And they appear to earn Delta Skymiles. Little leg room? Poor safety record? Is EVA or Cathay the better choice?

Are you asking about Air China, which is one of the PRC airlines, or China Airlines, which is the Taiwan-based airline? The answers depend on identifying which one. China Airlines, for example, connects in Taipei, not Beijing or Shanghai. It had seven accidents involving passenger fatalities between 1970 and 2002 - one of which involved the aircraft being destroyed by a bomb. In terms of record, it is second behind Indian Airlines (not Air India) among Asian airlines, but better than American Airlines and about equal with United in total number of accidents.

Service on short flights is quite acceptable in the newer aircraft.

Air China, which is the PRC one - well, even my travel agent doesn't recommend it for safety or service.

On safety, however, UK sources suggest that, when compared against all other modes of transport on a fatality per mile basis air transport is the safest - six times safer than travelling by car and twice as safe as rail. Other sources - http://www.numberwatch.co.uk/risks_of_travel.htm - suggest that the most dangerous form of transport is by motorcycle.

March 10th, 2006, 13:58
I was inquiring about China Airlines...the Taiwan based airline. If you check Orbitz and some other travel sites, they always pop up on top...at least on their base fare. They seem to have some heavy taxes and fuel surchages however, which do make them not quite as good of a deal.

March 10th, 2006, 14:41
Cathay Pacific wins hands down. You get "asian miles" points. The service is excellent. Yes they fly onto Mumbai from Bangkok so you get the meal option of indian or western. I only fly Cathay and as a stand by, Singapore airlines,another excellent airline,I would fly Singa most of the time but gave trying so hard when I left Virgin air-miles prog. The rest I wouldn't touch with a barge pole, but I am not the bravest of passengers.
The airport in Hong-Kong is fantastic and efficient good for last minute shopping if there is time.

I couldn't believe the delay at Bangkok in Feb, suddenly they want you all to stare into a camera and it took one whole hour to get through, I arrived on Singa via Singapore and there wasnt that many of us, but it felt like for ever,what they were doing I dont know.

March 10th, 2006, 14:56
There are many good things about Chek Lap Kok but th Immigration queue for non-HKID card holders ain't one of them. I seem to have misplaced mine and the BF who'd come on the same flight waited more than 45 minutes for me on one occassion. As for Cathay cabin and ground service, suffice to say its the only Asian Airline I've ever written a letter of complaint to. At least United had the courtesy to reply after that dreadful flight between Narita and Kai Tak. Never heard from Cathay. My preferred European carrier puts me into Cathay's Lounge at Don Muang before I come back to Europe and that is almost as good as the Royal Orchid Lounge, but not quite.

As to China Airlines, years ago at the villa in Clear Water Bay, we were going to be entertainin a friend passing through on business from Nanjing to Singapore. I asked my patner to call the Chinese Airline and ask if the flight was running on time before we slipped over to Kai Tak with the car. He called China Airlines and said that a very angry clerk had replied "We don't fly to Nanjing, YET!"

March 10th, 2006, 15:29
Hello Northstar, erm I think Cathay has improved since you lived in HK that or you had a one off bad experience. Yes we all have the odd bad flight but most def I would say Cathay and Singapore are the best airlines this part of the world, there are no other contenders.

For an airline that has truly gone downhill look no further than Virgin atlantic, just the food is enough to make you never fly with them again.
I flew premium economy to Sydney from HK a week ago or so and for that extra bit of leg room you pay through your teeth for incredibly bad service and food that is worse than the seven11 take out. Think they lost the edge somewhere.
Time Mr Brandson did some flying on proper airlines like Cathay to see what service really is. It was so bad that I upgraded on the return to "upper class" flat bed and all, and while the food was only marginally better the service was appalling, most of the hostesses kept trying to chat me up like they were on a coffee break, instead of delivering quality service. It was very tacky and I wont be using them again.

March 10th, 2006, 15:47
http://upload3.postimage.org/70562/GoogleEarth_Image.jpg (http://upload3.postimage.org/70562/photo_hosting.html)
PS Northstar, as you kindly showed me a pixle of your house in Clearwater I thought I would show you ours. This google earth thingey is incredible. I suppose I better destroy the cocca plantion before I hear the roar of helicopters and crackle of machne gun fire :blackeye:

March 10th, 2006, 16:33
I have flown on them twice from Australia via taipei and HK to BKK.

The best thing is a stopover can be had in Taipei for 3 nights in a decent hotel for approx AU$200.00 and this includes a city and a country tour. It is also a good base for exploring mainland China, as the flights over are incredibly cheap.

An added bonus is a stopover in HK on the way there or the way back or both (optional). I love flying into HK airport...... This flight ultimately goes to Amsterdam after BKK.

I paid, from memory $920.00 including tax in Nov/Dec 2005.

pandorasbox-old
March 10th, 2006, 19:25
Only flown from Europe in business. I found them to be very good with charming service. I realsise that as with most airlines the standard of service can vary depending who is on that day. Overall very good and well priced. Think it was ┬г900 with transfer to Amsterdam.

My current fav however is Qatar Airways. These are excellent with great prices from ┬г1069 - business UK. Great service and a real pleasure to fly with.

March 10th, 2006, 21:57
I thought I would show you ours.

From what you'd said previously, I thought you must be just off the Sir David Wilson trail. Do you have a view of Parkview?

As to bad experiences on Cathay, there have been exactly two and they've run out of chances in my book. The other one was before a flight up to Seoul. I asked if it was alright for non-Chinese to use the Check-in lane that was only signposted for business-class in Chinese. The ground steward was Malaysian Chinese and seemed to think I'd made some racist inference and lost it big-time. Have they reviewed the "staff from seven Asian lands" policy? I think they used to get the folk who couldn't get jobs with their national carrier.

My partner is telling all his friends that he got London to HK on Qatar for ┬г200 for May. What he is not saying is that it's almost as much again in tax, But he is happy because he hears they are very good even in tourist.

fedssocr
March 11th, 2006, 04:24

You might want to consider Thai Airways' direct non-stop flight from LAX instead. It's 17 hours, but they use very new A340s with 36" pitch in economy, 42" pitch and wider seats with leg rest in Premium Economy, and 60" pitch lie flat pod seats in Biz. Obivously they are Star Alliance so you aren't going to get Delta miles. I think the LAX flight is 3x per week and the JFK direct flight is 4x per week. Or it may be the other way around. The JFK flight leaves at noon and arrives at just after 4 PM next day. The return leaves shortly after midnight and arrives at 6:30 AM. They also run special promotions fairly often on these routes for companion tickets in the upper classes if you are traveling with some one else.

guyforguy
March 11th, 2006, 04:30
Dear SP,

I will assume that you are on the west coast of the US.

I believe the China Airlines you are referring to is based out of Taiwan. I have not flown with this airline but have flown on EVA which is also based in Taiwan. EVA Evergreen Deluxe is an upgraded economy class and is well worth the extra money. I have used EVA on three flights and they provided good service and have never been late into BKK. Arrival is late morning around 11:00 am. You can get the best price by booking thru their website. Another option is to fly Thai Airways direct from LAX to BKK.

As for Cathay I have nothing good to say so I will leave it at that.

I wish you a safe and fun trip.

G

PS. Thanks to one2go for giving me the EVA nod on the Pattayagay Forum several years ago. I would also like to thank ZZZ for his help but alas he has moved on shall we say.

March 11th, 2006, 07:04
No Northstar no view of Parkview, just the country parks and slithers of the ocean. There is a trail not sure which one but it winds down not far from our boundry.

Not sure what you mean with your check-in problems with Cathay. They always let you use the business or first class counter even if you are flying economy same as the departure gate, as long as you are a "one world emerald" member. For the rest, same as any-other airline, you must line up. If you are flying business or are a member why ask them?

What I personally consider especially on a long haul flight as what SP is doing, is firstly for me, safety then service comfort/food then entertainment. Cathay scores better on all three of these points in my opinion. You have endless choice of music games or movies when ever you want, that is you can decide when you want to watch any of the movies. Then the food is good. Lets face it food is not fantastic on airplanes, and secondly the seats are comfortable, while I have never flown economy longer than 8hrs or so the economy seats are comfortable compared to some.Service is very good just the right amount of friendliness efficiency and calmness and a very comforting abundance of willingness to please.

I am sure SP as all the info they need, but If I had to choose between China or Cathay, well this is a no brainer! But as I say yes if you put Singa or Cathay then I would start looking harder at pricing etc. :cheers:

March 11th, 2006, 12:37
I had to choose between China or Cathay, well this is a no brainer!

Reluctantly,I have to agree with that. Singapore and Cathay have invested in facilities that will please most high paying passengers and their quality systems will be unlikely, these days to fail. I'm reluctant because, I've had very bad experiences with Cathay in the early '90s (so my exposure to them recently is only the Executive Lounge at Don Muang). The check-in problem was that some check-in lanes were only sign posted in Chinese so when I asked if I could use them there was no excuse for Encik Wong to blow his top or the airline not to respond to my correspondence. So whilst it is a no-brainer, I will fly China Airlines before Cathay. Guess that means I have no brain. 555

March 11th, 2006, 17:34
As to bad experiences on Cathay, there have been exactly two and they've run out of chances in my book. The other one was before a flight up to Seoul. I asked if it was alright for non-Chinese to use the Check-in lane that was only signposted for business-class in Chinese. The ground steward was Malaysian Chinese and seemed to think I'd made some racist inference and lost it big-time. Have they reviewed the "staff from seven Asian lands" policy? I think they used to get the folk who couldn't get jobs with their national carrier. My partner is telling all his friends that he got London to HK on Qatar for ┬г200 for May. What he is not saying is that it's almost as much again in tax, But he is happy because he hears they are very good even in tourist.

A concept you of all people should be familiar with. Failed in __________ (fill in your country/airline as appropriate), try Hongkers/CX!

I didn't know that Qatar Airways allowed pets on board. Those Arabs are so progressive.

andrewcraig
March 11th, 2006, 18:38
I didn't know that Qatar Airways allowed pets on board. Those Arabs are so progressive.

That must be exciting for you, Sybil . Now you can fly.
Qatar have bitch boxes

Smiles
March 11th, 2006, 19:42
I've often read positive things about Emirates here, but usually only skimmed over them as they do not fly out of Canada, or even the west coast of the US.

BUT . . . just checked their website and I see they have a flight/connections which will be just what I need next year: NewYork / Dubai / Bangkok / Sydney and back the same way.
In 2007 I will be going back east of Canada (Ottawa) for a few weeks. This is fairly close to NY, so I thought going the Atlantic way (for the first time) might be a good idea. I also want to stop over in OZ for a few weeks on the back end of the Thailand part to visit a few long-lost cousins there ( NOT McSydney! :blackeye: ). So this Emirates flight ~ though not particularly cheap ~ seems to fit the bill.

So . . . good things to say about Emirates? Or not?

Cheers ...

manfarang-old
March 11th, 2006, 20:44
For best comfort in economy, I second fedssocr's recommendation for the Thai Air nonstops out of LAX or NYC. As far as I can tell, those particular flights offer more legroom in economy than any other airline in the world. You also have the same state-of-the-art inflight entertainment (IFE) system (more than 30 movies on demand) that is offered to premium economy and business passengers - the only difference is that business has slightly larger screens. I did try Thai Air's premium economy a few months ago and it was well worth the additional expense. Airlines like Cathay Pacific and Singapore seem to be the better choice if you are flying business or first class (Cathay was ranked as having the best first class service in the world), but from what I've read their economy service is considered to be average (with the exception of Singapore's nonstop from NYC to SIN, which sounds pretty nice.)

As for Air China, I did a little search on http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ for information and did not read anything complimentary in terms of comfort and their IFE sounds pretty dismal. Their only advantage seems to be that they are one of the least expensive ways to fly to BKK. If you are the type of traveler who can sleep through a prolonged flight, they may be the way to go. Thai Air is not the least expensive by any means but offers much better comfort and amenities. If you can afford a few hundred dollars more, the Thai Air nonstops are definitely worth it.

re: Emirates, I believe the flight from NYC is on the Airbus 340-500. Emirates has a flashy presentation about economy on this plane: http://www.emirates.com/a340/economyInt ... vPoint=ec1 (http://www.emirates.com/a340/economyIntro.asp?menuSelect=4&navPoint=ec1)

March 11th, 2006, 21:19
So . . . good things to say about Emirates? Or not?
I've flown with them both in biz and economy. They are up there with the good airlines, but I really dislike stopping in the middle of a long haul so avoid the gulf based lines between Europe and Asia.

Up2U
March 11th, 2006, 22:58
"As for Air China"....don't confuse Air China with China Airlines, they are not the same.

March 12th, 2006, 00:14
Haven't flown EK NYC-DXB but understand that the new Airbus they use on that route are very nice. Its a 13 hour flight so I understand that they offer a bit more room in economy than on the rest of their routes. However the onward flight will be on older airbus or more likely a 777 and in economy EK is no so great due to small set pitch and more importantly extra seat in every row. Flights are always chock a block so not so comfortable. If you get the right plane the in flight entertainment is fantastic.

As for DXB airport itself...not a pleasant experience. Most connections are made between 2000 and 0400 and the place is a seething mass of the great unwashed. People sitting and sleeping on the floor as there are not enough places to sit. Duty free is grossly over rated and virtually everything is cheaper in the city. I only use DXB now if that is my destination.

An alternative via the Gulf is Qatar. Better service, usually cheaper and more comfortable planes. Very good in flight entertainment. However Doha aiport is grossly inadequate so if you face a long layover be warned. New airport is still 2 years away. No flights at present to North America.

Another choice is Gulf Air. Bahrain airport is the most manageable of the three however GF's flights are chronically delayed and the fleet is rather long in the tooth. Service in F or J is pretty good but Y is just average. Used to us GF all the time but due to indifferent ground service and chronic delays have forsaken them for Qatar. Code share with American Airlines out of the larger US gateways.

Etihad is a new player on the block. Based in Abu Dhabi but still new and still flying chartered crap from other airlines. Few of their own planes and hit or miss service. Filling seats mostly on price. You get what you pay for. Abu Dhabi airport is best likened to a pissoir. They will however be offering service from Toronto via Brussels. Not sure when that starts but can imagine the initial prices will be very attractive.

Try http://www.airlinequality.com/ for lots of reviews on all airlines as well as airports. Great site if you want unvarnished info.

March 12th, 2006, 00:17
I have flown the direct flight from New York 2 times . Once in economy and once in business class .
I am flying out in April in economy plus round trip $1545 . I find not having to stop on the way so much better .
I know 17 hours sounds so long but there are lots of meals and movies.
The best part is getting in at 16:00 . That puts me into Pattaya by about 20:00 so can have shower good meal and out to the clubs . With other flights its 1 or 2 am before you get there and then you have to wait another day to go out.
I know the price is a bit more economy was about $1200 , but the return gets me back into New York at 6:30 am . Then a quick flight back home and have the rest of the day to get unpacked and ready for work the next day. You also earn your miles on star alliance

DJB0Y-old
March 12th, 2006, 05:53
If you go with Cathay, please may the buyer beware.

I just flew them from HK to Sydney. What a nightmare. The cabin crew are the rudest things I've ever met.

The cabinand seating was terribly uncomfortable and the food was barely edible.

Upon check-in on my return flight, the woman at the counter made me weigh my carry on telling me I was overweight and would need to pay excess charges. She told me 7 kilos is the max. I showed her that I had only travel pillows, a bottle of water, and a change of clothes in the bag. She still made me unpack and redistribute the weight 3 times before she let me pass (all this at 7 am mind you).

During the flight, the air crew treats the people like animals. they don't think twice of bumping into you, shouting at you, etc. They must be studying the American airline approach to customer service.

My suggestion is Korean Airlines. I've found their long hauls between US and Asia to be much more tolerable. The EVA economy plus service has also received good ratings.

I don't think the Taiwanese China Airways is all that great.

Personally, I prefer the Boeing aircraft rather than the Airbus (for economy flights). This last Airbus on Cathay had this annoying closet door in front of my seat that the air crew loved to fling open right into my legs so they could unpack supplies for their business class passengers. I just kicked it back at them and let them say....Oh..sorry sir, we didin't realize you were sitting there...yeah right.

Good luck with your flight. Try to take some Tylenol PM and be asleep for as many of the hours as possible.

March 12th, 2006, 07:16
DJBoy,
Sorry to hear you had such a trying time at the ungodly hour of 7-am trying to check-into a Cathay pacific flight. You are obviously a person who gets up in a bad mood. But you must realise that its for your own good.

If you fly often enough you will notice, especially on certain flights. The one from HK is a good example of yours, but people seem to try and move goods as hand luggage that only a small transit truck could manage. Now this is bad as we dont all want to fall out the sky or trip on luggage left scattered around the deck trying to escape being burnt alive. As your luggage was weighed, you were, despite getting up on the wrong side of bed, OVER WEIGHT.

As for the rest of your drivel about crew treating passengers like animals, I could only hope so. Animals get a very good deal on flights and all effort is made to get them arriving calm and flushed with happiness and well being.

I fully agree with North Star about the Emirates, avoid like the plague the flights from Europe to Asia. The break in flight is absolutely devastating sapping your energy like you cant believe. While I have never used them our English friends do when they come to stay and this is their experience. By the way, after flying Cathay from HK to Bali they thought they were in business class compared to their Emirates flight. Teenagers, so the entertainment and food value was highest on their minds. Similarly they rate Lufthansa very badly compared to Cathay.

It makes me wonder what is going on with European flag-ship carriers these days, even KLM gets a horrible rap. The Asian carriers seem to be only getting better and better.

SteveSF-old
March 12th, 2006, 09:58
I agree with DJBoy. Finding oneself at the airport with just one neatly packed carry-on sized suitcase, only to be told that it is too heavy, is very annoying. I was in that position the last time I flew Cathay Pacific some 2 years ago. I was living in Chiang Mai at the time, and was returning from one of my quarterly visits/visa runs to California. The dragon lady behind the check-in counter demanded to weigh my suitcase. Once found to be over the limit, I was told that I must check it in. Not one to trust that the check in luggage will always meet me in BKK, I had to take some essential papers, medicines, and valuables (electronics) out of the suitcase, and carry it in the only alternative I had, a plastic grocery bag! Yes, I was instantly converted to a bag lady! All other airlines have allowed me to carry the same suitcase on board with no issue. And to add insult to injury, when I schlepped my way to the gate, plastic bag in hand, there were many other passengers carrying on a great variety of luggage that had made it past the check-in monster. Needless to say, that was the last time I ever booked a flight on Cathay Pacific.
These days, I try to book EVA economy deluxe. While the service and food is standard economy, the seat width and length is close to business class, for only around US $200 more than budget economy.

March 12th, 2006, 10:51
SteveSF aka bag lady,
Yes every once in awhile airlines crack down on hand luggage. Otherwise it all gets out of hand. I actually find it a bit nerve raking seeing what passengers consider hand luggage. In your case a "suit case" thats never considered hand luggage. That you've gotten away with it is just good luck. The number of people I have seen with roll-ons trying to pass these off as hand luggage is unbelievable. You get a bit more lea-way in business class.

Oh dear anything to be the first off the plane and not have to wait for baggage on the belt. By the way Cathay and most other carriers worth their salt are clamping down on hand luggage, do you want the overhead compartments to crash down onto our heads, just so you can stuff your world belongings into one of them?

Economy deluxe or premium economy I think they are the biggest hoax since Saddams weapons of mass destruction. They are way over priced and the food is terrible. It depends on the length of the flight but I do not think they are worth the asking price. You feel cheated that its not business class meals and you feel cheated that its not economy fares, all so you can recline a few more inches.

SteveSF-old
March 12th, 2006, 11:31
Airlines can and should crack down on what some carry on to an airplane these days. I've seen duffel bags the size of large children, small surf boards, and backpacks that could carry Edith's or Pearl's entire wardrobe! My complaint is that when one has a suitcase that conforms to the published carry on dimensions, and is able to be lifted with one hand, (and I'm no Atlas), then it should be allowed.
As for EVA, well Cedric, you are wrong. There are those of us who find it to be a fine alternative for the money. I would be happy to fly business class though, if you would pay for it. :cheers:

March 12th, 2006, 11:53
SteveSF the scales dont lie, no matter what your dimensions.

Sorry I used up my air miles for any-thing that would get you from California to Thailand business class. Im lying of course, can you send me a pixle of yourself ? :bounce:

ps (I bought 2 beautiful goldfish from San Francisco and Cathay mothered them all the way here in perfect condition)

March 12th, 2006, 14:43
DJboy reminded me of the fights I twice had checking in skis at Kai Tak. On both occssions they were warned I was bringing skis and asked if there would be extra charges. Shortly after their inaugural flight to Vancouver the checkin staff attempted to charge some extraordinary amount quite contrary to the telephone advice.

On a later occassion, checking in down-town HK en-route to Val d'Isere via Gatwick I was told to sign a form stating my skis were damaged. I said they were not damaged. The check-in clerk asserted that she'd been told to get all passengers with skis to sign this form and that she would not check me in unless I signed. I scored out their wording and wrote that I was signing under duress, then signed. The apparatchick was satisfied with that. Strangely there was no such nonsense for the return flight.

Companies who employ staff that give directions that are ultimately designed to deprive passengers of their insurances and rights do not deserve custom in my opinion. Of course it was all a long time ago and they may have changed but DJboy's experienes seem to be more recent.

March 12th, 2006, 15:54
OK stuffedpotatoes fly China airlines, I give up. My dad says they are not too bad if they stay up in the sky. Do not say I didn't try. Your choice your fragrance (shudder)
Taiwan might be an interesting diversion should you make it.
God bless :cyclops:

manfarang-old
March 12th, 2006, 21:59
As Cedric has noted, increased limitations on luggage, both carryon and checked, is the wave of the future. Most if not all of the American carriers have dropped the limit from 70 to 50 pounds per checked bag. In addition, many airlines are paying much closer attention to those increasingly large so-called "rollaboard" bags.

As for premium economy being a rip-off, on the Thai Air flight I personally found the extra money for a wider seat with more legroom worth it for a 16-17 hour flight. Many may not. It would be nice if all airlines provided adequate seat and legroom for long intercontinental flights in regular economy, but that ain't gonna happen. I was probably spoiled by American Airlines' now-gone "More Room Throughout Economy" seats. I can handle being crammed in almost any economy seat for 6-8 hours, but longer than that and I start to consider spending a bit more for a bit more room.

Davey612
March 12th, 2006, 22:30
I was probably spoiled by American Airlines' now-gone "More Room Throughout Economy" seats. I can handle being crammed in almost any economy seat for 6-8 hours, but longer than that and I start to consider spending a bit more for a bit more room.

I think the only way to get an inexpensive ticket with a better seat pitch in economy is either (1) be a premier member at United so that you can use its economy plus seats, or (2) check the sale promotions that EVA air gives from time to time for its economy deluxe seats.

Any other options?

P.S. Northstar and DJboy shows how unfavorable experiences affect future decisions. From my recent experience, I haven't received any bad service from CX. Actually, I haven't had any bad experience from other carriers either. I think competition makes every carrier to evenly match their standard, which seems to be generally going downwards.

As a side note, what I found annoying is the way the intra-Asia routes are priced. For example, Air Asia will show a very cheap ticket, but then there are all those extra surcharges (fuel, insurance, etc etc) which makes the ticket not so cheap really.

manfarang-old
March 12th, 2006, 23:29
In terms of regular economy seats, for US west coasters the Thai Air nonstop from LAX offers the best economy seating. Most airlines have 31" of legroom/pitch in economy; the Thai Air nonstop has 36" in regular economy.

re: hidden fees and surcharges, Asian airlines are not the only offenders. Many American carriers and sites like Travelocity seem to do the same thing. That $119 special fare suddenly becomes $250 or more after all the add-ins.

Jetsam
March 12th, 2006, 23:43
So I booked with China Airlines this trip and you all confirm that the change that I arrive alive is very slim :cry: , I think as long as you avoid their Die Nasty class it will be worth the gamble, I've flown them twice before since I switched to EVA and I can honestly say that the in flight service from China Airlines is better. To bad they don't have cute stewards , but so don't have EVA.

March 13th, 2006, 02:47
"I give up. My dad says they are not too bad if they stay up in the sky. Do not say I didn't try. "

Does Dad know your a wooly moof?

March 13th, 2006, 03:16

I've flown China Air three times from JFK to BKK because of price and schedule, on a short trip leavinging NY at around 11PM on friday is good.

In hindsight I wish I had flown on United, Thai, or Sing everytime for FF miles. I'm still a few thousand miles short of a free flight on China Air.

When flying China Air you have a choice of putting your miles into a China Air account or Delta Skymiles account. If you wish to use your miles you cannot combine your miles from each program although you can us miles from one program to fly the other. Not every flight that is available using Delta miles is availabe using China Air miles and vice versa.

From New York I would stick with Star Alliance. I have only paid for two United flights and am now booked on my second free Star Alliance flight due to earning miles by not flying. If you are flying on Thai or Sing, I recomend that you put your miles into your United account even if your intention is to book your free flight with Thai or Sing.

When redeeming your free flight to BKK with 60K miles, you can add on Bali for free. Flights to Bali are expensive so take advantage of this little known trick.

The Thai non-stop is the most efficient way to get from NY to BKK but not many people know about the second best option. Sing has a flight that leaves around 11:30 from Newark, non-stop to Singapore and then you continue to BKK.
The Sing non-stop is much nicer than thye Thai non-stop. Most Thailand travelers don't book this route cause it's expensive but it's the exact same 60K FF miles as NY-Narita-BKK.

cottmann
March 13th, 2006, 05:41
So I booked with China Airlines this trip and you all confirm that the change that I arrive alive is very slim :cry: , I think as long as you avoid their Die Nasty class it will be worth the gamble, I've flown them twice before since I switched to EVA and I can honestly say that the in flight service from China Airlines is better. To bad they don't have cute stewards , but so don't have EVA.

I fly China Airlines quite regularly, and have always arrived alive!

March 13th, 2006, 05:49
"I give up. My dad says they are not too bad if they stay up in the sky. Do not say I didn't try. "

Does Dad know your a wooly moof?

hehe mrsydney does your dad know you too are a wooly moof

take it up the arse like a chook (chicken)

March 13th, 2006, 06:52
My dad is not aware that I am a "wooly moof" and nor am I. MrSyd what is a "wooly moof" is that a species of Australian wild-life? If I was anything other than what I am my dad would know, we are a very open family. He sure looks like a "wooly" something.

:idea:

March 13th, 2006, 20:14
I like to fly Emirates from Birmingham (UK) via Dubai then on to Bangkok. I particularly like the transition time as a means to 'stretch my legs'. It breaks the journey for me - I know its not everyones cup of tea, but....

As a frequent flyer with Emirates you can buy miles (as i am sure you can with other F.F. carriers.) They calculate the return trip BHX - BKK - BHX as 16,282 miles. Yes I know in real terms that the actual mileage is about 12,ooo miles return, however the cost of buying miles is USD 2.5 cents a mile. 16,282 x 2.5 cents is $407 USD around GBP240. Minimum miles that you can purchase is 2,000 and max 25,000 per annum.

As I have just paid GBP470 for a flight in July I think this is a brilliant deal. I cannot see on the Emirates site any restrictions stopping anyone paying for their flight this way.... so, if anyone knows of any restrictions, OR thinks ive got my knickers in a twist, then please let me know. It does seem too good to be true :cheers:

rogered

March 13th, 2006, 21:41
Very interesting Rogered. If you'd bought your ticket purely by purchasing miles would you have had to pay tax on that ticket and would that be paid in cash or miles?

March 13th, 2006, 22:05
Northstar.
To be honest I do not know, but I hope to find out for my trip at the end of this year/early next year.

I would imagine tax etc (110 ish GBP) would have to be paid, but it still is a very good price.

rogered

March 14th, 2006, 00:29
Just booked my third trip to BKK from LAX on CAL. The LAX-TPE portion of the flight is usually crowded. The balance is only about three-quarters full. Service is mediocre, but you get what you pay for and the $150-$300 savings will pay for much more and much better service in Thailand than it will on a plane, unless, of course, I happen to get a remarkably lucky seat assignment.