PDA

View Full Version : Motor Bike Taxi Price Warning

globalwanderer
July 29th, 2008, 01:02
I still pay a maximum of 40bht within Pattaya except...

last night I went to the guys at the end of Pattayaland 2, the driver wanted 50bht. I walked away. Went to the stand outside Royal Garden, got a motor bike, 40bht no argument

Tonight I went again, no mention of price.... got home and gave him 40 baht. No it's 50 he says. No it's not I walked away. Looked unhappy but I was inside by then.

Smiles
July 29th, 2008, 01:11
Seeing as how you already surely knew that the price of gasoline has risen in Thailand to quite staggering prices, it would seem reasonable that you might expect some price increases in all manner of transport. Even more reasonably, it would be expected that you would understand that Thai wages are much much lower than yours (I'm assuming), and that you would gladly pay an extra 10 baht (30 cents) under the circumstances.

Guess what ... a taxi ride used to be 30 baht. And before that 20 baht. And before that . . .

But thanks for the price-gouging warning.

Cheers ...

globalwanderer
July 29th, 2008, 01:18
yes prices have risen...

And living here I am fully aware of Thai wages and the impact of rising fuel prices... It hits me every day when I go through the accounts with N.

it used to work out about 1bht a km and it's not about 1.3 bht a km.

that means my round trip of about 4km costs an additional 1.2 baht.

However my point was that one taxi stand seems to have decided to try and increase prices when others have not.......

oh and on some trips I am still only charged 30 bht.

krobbie
July 29th, 2008, 02:11
I would guess that the bike taxi's in BKK have also risen. My guy says not all. So it would seem that some wish to be busy all the time and some only half the time. Up to you, same as Pattaya.

Krobbie

globalwanderer
July 29th, 2008, 02:21
Exactly and there were tonight and last night about 10 motorbikes at Soi 2 and few at the neighbouring Sois, I guess at the moment the other motorbikes are going for volume over price.

July 29th, 2008, 02:48
i have paid 50bht from boys town to jomtiem for the last 2 years, why complane about 1o bht now, the boys have to make a living.

globalwanderer
July 29th, 2008, 03:01
I am not going to Jomtien! Yes they have to make a living, but they are the only ones charging it. Were I going to Jomtien I would expect to pay, and have always paid 50 baht. If there was a general fare hike that is different. This is not a general fare hike. I am not 'complaining' but pointing out that one particular group have decided to raise their price. That is up to them, I will simply use other motor bikes in future.

joe552
July 29th, 2008, 03:18
And you felt the need to share this with us because...?

I really hope I never get to the stage where 10 baht (or 20 for a round trip) makes such a difference in my life that I would need to post it on a board like this.

globalwanderer
July 29th, 2008, 03:29
10 baht makes no difference to my life whatsoever. I provided a warning to others that a few motor bike taxis have decided to increase their prices that is all.... and probably only for farangs exiting the bars....

July 29th, 2008, 03:34
And you felt the need to share this with us because...?

I really hope I never get to the stage where 10 baht (or 20 for a round trip) makes such a difference in my life that I would need to post it on a board like this.

You not help the Thais if you always accept the higher price. Because they are not willing to carry there own people anymore or they will pay the same high price. A waiter in boystown get 2500 Baht salary. If he would pay daily 50 Baht only for a taxi he need to take a second job just to cover his transfer cost. If someone think 10 Baht is same like nothing in Thailand, he is damaging the poor people much more. It's not help. But better you put some money in a life insurance if you go by motorbike taxi.

globalwanderer
July 29th, 2008, 03:43
totally agree... and often I walk back, but sometimes i feel like a ride, and the motor bikes around Pattayaland are usually a better bet than most...

July 29th, 2008, 04:13
Not unusual that some may raise their price before others. Rest assured, all will get to the new price point.

A 10 baht increase seems reasonable given the rise in gas prices. I would have paid the additional 10 baht rather than have walked away.

joe552
July 29th, 2008, 05:09
Toni - as a farang I always expect to pay a higher price than Thai people. I meant that 10bt is not much to a farang and I didn't see the point of the 'warning'. Of course price rises hurt ordinary Thai workers, but prices for farangs can go up while Thai prices stay the same.

Diec
July 29th, 2008, 05:52
These poor boys are only trying to make a living. To quibble over ten baht just seems ridiculous to me. Us farang are very rich compared to these lovely young men and we should help them as much as we can.

July 29th, 2008, 05:57
... for gripping someone's thighs firmly while 200cc throb between your legs? Outrageous!

lonelywombat
July 29th, 2008, 08:01
yes prices have risen...

And living here I am fully aware of Thai wages and the impact of rising fuel prices... It hits me every day when I go through the accounts with N.

it used to work out about 1bht a km and it's not about 1.3 bht a km.

that means my round trip of about 4km costs an additional 1.2 baht.

However my point was that one taxi stand seems to have decided to try and increase prices when others have not.......

oh and on some trips I am still only charged 30 bht.

It is some time since I was first told, but the amount that motorbike taxi drivers pay to the BIB for their station, varies by the volume of business. The Boyztown station I was told cost the most
I have always found over almost 20 years this to be the case

I assume you believe the boy is doing this as a charity and is not entitled to wages, repairs or to recover the money paid to BIB. If you go through your accounts with N each day, just give a minutes thought as to what are the costs of providing you with a cheap ride home

In 1990 when I first came to stay at Ambience, the cost was 30baht Consider how much the price of petrol has risen since then .What about inflation
As you and N seem to have a business together, are your costs and prices charged unchanged from say 5 years ago?

July 29th, 2008, 09:35
The fact of the taxi meter keeps the poor boys squeezed here in Bangkok. I can get quite a few places under 2km in my neighborhood. It's 10 baht to the grocery store or 7/11. 'Soi 1' is 20 baht, and the motorbike boy extortion in front of the BB has relented. Of course, if you are weaved in and out an extra 10 baht is warranted, keeping it still under 35 baht to sit in a a/c taxi for the same distance. I don't complain about that. I wouldn't want to seem cheap.

lonelywombat
July 29th, 2008, 11:12
Apparently the taxi boys have to pay about 30,000 baht to join the circuit. God only (and a few loan sharks) know how they can manage the repayments plus make a living.

I got a PM to say that his BS was paying 3000baht per month, and leased his bike as well.

10 baht is the equal of the froth on a glass of beer

yedo111
July 29th, 2008, 13:08
I dont like the motorbike taxis , so I always take the baht bus to Jomtien and Pattayaland, only 10 baht , night or day. Sometimes you have to wait a few minutes but its worth it , in a month I have saved at least 800 Baht compared to a motorbike taxi.

Yes I live on a budget , Im not a rich farang.
I eat thaifood every day and pay max 50 baht for a tasty dinner.
I always drink at the bars when its happy hours , 30-50 Baht for a Singha. Great !
In the end of the month I have saved maybe 2000 Baht and I can give it to my boy and everyones happy.

TrongpaiExpat
July 29th, 2008, 13:57
You not help the Thais if you always accept the higher price. Because they are not willing to carry there own people anymore or they will pay the same high price. A waiter in boystown get 2500 Baht salary. If he would pay daily 50 Baht only for a taxi he need to take a second job just to cover his transfer cost. If someone think 10 Baht is same like nothing in Thailand, he is damaging the poor people much more. It's not help. But better you put some money in a life insurance if you go by motorbike taxi.

Congratulations to toni6969 for his first post that had nothing to do with El Duo. In my opinion, a stupid self-serving short sighted post but non-the-less an original thought, good keep it up.

Motocy's in Bangkok have not increased prices. The 10B, 20B and 30B routes all same-same. A few do try to get more from farangs that don't know the going rate. As far as I can figure out, the price they pay to "middle men" that "own" the corner they park at varies a great deal.
I do know the guard at my building charges 100B per day not to chase away a moto drivers from parking on the street waiting for customers.

It seems to be policy that these guard companies rotate the guards after 6 months or so. At first, I though this was a bad idea, but given the structure of how things work in Thailand, rotation keeps one person from getting too much momentum of a organized shim-sham operation going and owning a corner of a public street is as shim-sham as it gets.

July 29th, 2008, 14:29
The problem is that everything get more expensive for everyone but only the salaries here in Thailand are not rising. Many people are not able to manage there monthly cost anymore. A waiter still get the same salary as 5 years ago.
Only the guys who controlling there own income like motor bike taxis, noodle shops etc. on the street they have the power to charge more. But witch employee have the power to go to his boss and ask for more money even now in the low season? And for a normal Thai person is 10 or 20 Baht to pay more daily alot.

July 29th, 2008, 14:32
But witch employee have the power to go to his boss and ask for more money

Don't be silly, dear. Witch employees need only boil up something in their magic cauldron to get anything they want.

July 29th, 2008, 16:16
I cant agree about bitching about 10 baht either. Even if its just principle. I noticed there are very few 50 baht notes, odd as I rather like them for tips.

lonelywombat
July 29th, 2008, 18:16
I cant agree about bitching about 10 baht either. Even if its just principle. I noticed there are very few 50 baht notes, odd as I rather like them for tips.

Do you get many?

francois
August 1st, 2008, 18:04
The motorbike taxis in Pattayaland area have always charged higher rates; nothing to do with the rise in fuel prices. I just opt to walk if a short distance. Of course I am broke when leaving the bars in that area. So 10 Baht makes a difference.

jomtien
August 1st, 2008, 18:55
They do tend to ask for more but I have found if good-naturedly laugh and say "No rich tourist, I poor and live here, I give you X baht" most times they laugh back and say OK OK.

yedo111
August 1st, 2008, 23:51
They do tend to ask for more but I have found if good-naturedly laugh and say "No rich tourist, I poor and live here, I give you X baht" most times they laugh back and say OK OK.

Yes I always show them 20 Baht , if they wanna throw me off the bike after 2km then fine.

August 2nd, 2008, 18:16
It is some time since I was first told, but the amount that motorbike taxi drivers pay to the BIB for their station, varies by the volume of business. The Boyztown station I was told cost the most.

LW,

a very valid point - the most expensive in Pattaya is actually the Pattaya Nua Bus Station (at up to 70,000 baht). There are no set rates and fares vary as others rightly point out - those in Bangkok seem to be cheaper per kilometre, in general, than those in Pattaya, and fares can also vary depending on the time of day, etc. GW's keeping 10 baht of what he had already been told was a 50 baht fare was hardly a wise move unless he is not planning on using the m/c taxis there again, and does not need their help - a couple are undercover police, several more are volunteer police, and others have stopped assaults and muggings in the area, chasing and holding the criminals until the police arrive some time later to claim the credit - but the important thing, of course, is that GW can boast about cheating them out of 10 baht. Another SGF hero.

kittyboy
August 4th, 2008, 04:42
... for gripping someone's thighs firmly while 200cc throb between your legs? Outrageous!

and the smile you get on your face when remembering tightly gripping a firm set of thighs or a taut (not taught as originally posted - sigh) waist during those motorcycle rides. Priceless!

August 4th, 2008, 07:07
DELETED

August 4th, 2008, 12:26
and the smile you get on your face when remembering tightly gripping a firm set of thighs or a taught waist during those motorcycle rides. Priceless!

Reaching around those lean/tight washboard abs instead of holding onto the back? Yummmmmmm.

Geezer
August 4th, 2008, 14:13
тАЬReaching around those lean/tight washboard abs instead of holding onto the back? Yummmmmmm.тАЭ

And I have rarely done that when the driver hasnтАЩt asked, тАЬWhat you room number?тАЭ

August 4th, 2008, 22:51
... remembering tightly gripping ... a taught waist during those motorcycle rides.

A "taught" waist?? Has HC been visiting and giving some free English lessons?

August 4th, 2008, 23:40
I really like this book: http://www.amazon.com/Very-Thai-Philip-Cornwel-Smith/dp/9749863003/ref=cm_cr-mr-title.

Did you know (or imagine) that the right to be a motosy-taxi in Bangkok (and wear the shirt) could cost 100,000 baht or more??

As for feeling tight tummies through the T-shirt, and the drivers asking for your loom number: bring it on! :-)

After all, this is a country which understands fun!

kittyboy
August 5th, 2008, 04:19
... remembering tightly gripping ... a taught waist during those motorcycle rides.

A "taught" waist?? Has HC been visiting and giving some free English lessons?

No but I hope me talk pretty some day like you... only not as long and tedious.

Wesley
August 5th, 2008, 05:39
are off fees going up to what is the going rate now days, short and all night

Wes

globalwanderer
August 7th, 2008, 00:01
It is some time since I was first told, but the amount that motorbike taxi drivers pay to the BIB for their station, varies by the volume of business. The Boyztown station I was told cost the most.

LW,

a very valid point - the most expensive in Pattaya is actually the Pattaya Nua Bus Station (at up to 70,000 baht). There are no set rates and fares vary as others rightly point out - those in Bangkok seem to be cheaper per kilometre, in general, than those in Pattaya, and fares can also vary depending on the time of day, etc. GW's keeping 10 baht of what he had already been told was a 50 baht fare was hardly a wise move unless he is not planning on using the m/c taxis there again, and does not need their help - a couple are undercover police, several more are volunteer police, and others have stopped assaults and muggings in the area, chasing and holding the criminals until the police arrive some time later to claim the credit - but the important thing, of course, is that GW can boast about cheating them out of 10 baht. Another SGF hero.

Actually on the second night before I got on a motor bike I confirmed with the guys I knew it was 40 baht. The individual taxi driver tried for 50 baht when we arrived. I did not cheat the individual. And I do not want or claim to be a SGF hero. I was there a couple of nights ago and walked past. The guys I knew asked why and I told them. They said sorry.

August 7th, 2008, 01:09
Actually on the second night before I got on a motor bike I confirmed with the guys I knew it was 40 baht. The individual taxi driver tried for 50 baht when we arrived. I did not cheat the individual.... I was there a couple of nights ago and walked past. The guys I knew asked why and I told them. They said sorry.

We clearly have a different understanding of the term "cheat". You had been told 50 baht the night before and you "walked away"; you did not negotiate then, nor did you on the second night ("went again, no mention of price") when you paid the driver 40 baht and went "inside". You had been told and knew that 50 baht was the going rate for this particular queue for this particular trip - your "point was that one taxi stand seems to have decided to try and increase prices when others have not" and your "pointing out that one particular group have decided to raise their price. That is up to them..." confirms this.

"The guys you knew" were not in any position to "confirm" anything with anyone about the charge made by someone else.

I respect yedo111's point, which is at least reasonable and honest - something you clearly are not (at least in this case).

Cheat (transitive verb) to deceive, defraud or mislead somebody, especially for personal advantage.