PDA

View Full Version : Pattaya Police raid gay club Dudes for illegal opening

lonelywombat
July 25th, 2008, 21:03
The disturbing part of this report is the reported detention of those not carrying ID both Thai and farang

PATTAYA POLICE RAID GAY PUB FOR ILLEGAL OPENING
On July 25,2008, Tourist police and regular police raided a gay pub in the middle of the city, which was open for entertainment out of business hours. Police found more than 200 customers in the pub. Many of them did not have I.D. cards and some tested positive for drug consumption.

On July 25, at 3 AM, Pol.Lt.Col. Suwan Un-anan, Pattaya Tourist Police Investigator, and Pol.Col.Nopadol Wongnom, Pattaya Superintendent, jointly led a 20-man team of tourist police and police volunteers in a raid on "Tawanchai Club", located at 43/40, Soi Bongkot, South Pattaya, after complaints that the place had been run as a gay pub, with many Thais and foreigners gathering for unlawful purposes and also which had been opening out of hours.

Police found the car park of the pub full of cars and motorbikes belonged to customers. There were more than 200 customers, both Thai and foreigners, drinking, dancing and watching sleazy shows on the stage. Police commanded the D.J. to stop the music and turned on the lights before demanding all customers show their I.D.cards and submit to a urine check for drugs. Police discovered the registered pub owner, Mrs. Achara Tamaput, (50), from Chonburi, was not present, so police detained the pub manager, charging him with being open over the time limit.

Police took about an hour to check the business licence on the premises, which has been open for more than 3 months and also conducted a search for illegal substances, including drugs, both on the persons and in the systems of customers. Police found more than 20 people, both Thai and foreigner customers not carrying I.D. cards and more than 10 people tested positive for drug use. Police arrested the pub manager for illegal opening and detained customers without I.D. cards or for consuming drugs. The offenders will be prosecuted, accordingly

cut and paste from http://www.pattayadailynews.com/shownew ... 0000006708 (http://www.pattayadailynews.com/shownews.php?IDNEWS=0000006708)
There are also some photos . It takes a while to load

Beachlover
July 25th, 2008, 21:15
Why is it a requirement to carry your passport whenever you're in a bar?... Why can you be detained for not having it on you?

Wesley
July 25th, 2008, 21:44
Why is it a requirement to carry your passport whenever you're in a bar?... Why can you be detained for not having it on you?

Every embassy I have ever seen gives you a card to carry and advises you to never carry your passport. In fact my new passport came with a card for the embassy of your country to fill out for you. Some countries will give you a identification card. But I have heard it said your passport is worth more than you are and to never take it with you. If the police ask for it take them back to your home or hotel to prove you are there legally but never take it with you. Also some countries will take a Photo copy of your main page and the visa page. Likely you can get That from the hotel in which you stay. Also, most police I have ever met will accept a photo copy of the two pages. Surely they are no worse there than the Muslim counties in this regard.

Wes

July 25th, 2008, 22:00
The best thing to do is upon arrival go and have a photocopy ( they seem to accept the photocopies)made of the info page and the arrivval card and carry them. With the crackdown going on now it is best to have some ID with you. They are constantly looking for overstays of visa and undocumented foreigners. Very unusal to be even stopped but this is a whole new ball game so best be prepared.

July 25th, 2008, 22:28
I carry a shrunken lamented copy of my passport anytime I travel. I think that is only common sense to carry ID when ever you are away from home.

Go to any good copy place and have the picture/ID page of your passport shrunk to the size of a drivers license and laminated with clear plastic. Then carry it in your wallet as you would a drivers license. You will also need a copy of your visa which you can also carry in your wallet.

It is not an unreasonable requirement of any government to require visitors to carry ID. I think one should have ID at all times accident do happen and someone needs to be able to figure out who out who you are.

July 25th, 2008, 23:46
Am I the only one here getting deja vu? How many times has this topic been discussed?

July 25th, 2008, 23:52
Been asked so many times before, so what is the official closing times these days? Anyone know?

alittlebi-old
July 26th, 2008, 01:04
demanding all customers show their I.D.cards

Technically, they didn't say "passport" was required. But some type of ID is. Depending on the BIB mood, they will either let you go or require that you provide proof that you aren't on overstay (stamp page of passport).

Thai drivers licenses SUPPOSEDLY will suffice this type of check.

However carring a laminated copy of Passport photo page *AND* a photocopy of the visa/stamp page (as one person posted) is really the best choice.

Other than the unusual EARLY-EVENING raid, foreigners ID rarely gets checked. It seem to always occur "after hours" -- which according to Thai reports -- is when the "drug users" are out in full force.

July 26th, 2008, 03:10
Anyone have any idea how many overstays there are in this country?

I know that in Australia there are hundreds.

July 26th, 2008, 03:22
Anyone have any idea how many overstays there are in this country?

I know that in Australia there are hundreds.

I am always amused by books which purport to tell me the history of secret societies. It's usually pretty hard because secret societies are (nudge, nudge) SECRET.

In the same way, I'm pretty damned sure that overstays don't go around announcing themselves, any more than those who arrive with phony passports.

But there must be....HUNDREDS!!! :-)

July 26th, 2008, 03:24
Lookie here!!

a shrunken lamented copy of my passport

If you were a spelling bee, you could sting this! :-)

July 26th, 2008, 03:41
Oh! A lamented copy. How sweet. perhaps a late lamented one.

Does anyone know what happens to overstays if they're caught? Pls - no gossip. I'm up to my neck in rumour. Just the facts pls.

July 26th, 2008, 05:51
Does anyone know what happens to overstays if they're caught? As in your own (Western) country, Australia, they get locked up. Unlike Australia, however, which pays for them to fly back to their own country once they have been processed, Thailand keeps them locked up until someone pays for their ticket back to their own country. But as you say, Thailand has nothing to learn from Western culture

The reason why Australia and theoretically Thailand (and even Aunty's little cuntry, Nw Zlnd) can claim to know how many over-stayers are in the country is that they record both arrivals and departures in the Immigration computers. However those figures are to some extent over-stated as people can arrive and depart on different passports (more difficult in Australia), leave by "informal" methods - by fishing boat, across a land border that has no immigration check-point, and so on. Countries where departures are not checked via the Immigration computers, such as the US or the UK, have no reliable way of reporting over-stayers

Smiles
July 26th, 2008, 06:03
" ... Does anyone know what happens to overstays if they're caught? Pls - no gossip. I'm up to my neck in rumour. Just the facts pls. ... "
This is Thailand, so 'facts' are often fluid.

Bottom line: if you overstay your visa you are breaking Thai law. Thus they can (theoretically) throw the book at you if they wish ... and that means any individual policeman or immigration officer, who are essentially 'GODS' at that point. So, any punishment can be as great, or as little, as the law allows.

Through poor day counting I overstayed my visa last year by 2 days (I was about to fly out of Thailand for a trip to Australia, and back). I realized my mistake (which was my own dumb fault) a few weeks before and immediately went to the Immigration Office in Hua Hin and pointed it out and asked them what I should do. The lady there basically said "no problem" ... I would simply have to pay 500 baht a day overstay fine when I left Suvarnaphumi. My multiple entry visa status would not be affected (which was the main anxiety I had).

Being somewhat cautious (read: 'paranoid'), when we went up to Bangkok a few days before the flight I also called into Immigration at Suan Phlu to confirm what the Hua Hin immigration had told me. Again, no problem.
Lesson? If you know you are about to overstay a visa (and you should bloody-well know) ... go immediately to an immigration office and tell them! They will advise you on what to do. (Dress smartly ... be polite, and slightly humble).

This experience applies to relatively short overstays only. I am assuming that the longer one overstays (especially without informing Thai Immigration) the greater your chances of serious problems . . . definitely including large fines, deportation, blacklisting, and possibly a visit to a Thai jail. You will probably I doubt the Thais are much different than any other country on this issue, except for the intrudence of The Unforeseen in the application of the law by any individual Immigration officer.

Cheers ...

July 26th, 2008, 06:10
except for the intrudence of The Unforeseen in the application of the law by any individual Immigration officer.And if you get caught away from the airport and you're an over-stayer, don't expect protests of "Khun Bee at Hua Hin office told me I'd be OK" will necessarily carry any weight at all. There are multiple postings on this topic over at Thaivisa

July 26th, 2008, 06:16
Thanks Smiles. I appreciate your effort.

Overstaying a few days and informing them would be the sensible thing to do. Everyone makes mistakes.

The long term deliberate overstay (I am not one of these!) is no doubt a different matter altogether. I presume jail etc. And I guess deportation or something. I just don't know.

July 26th, 2008, 06:26
"As in your own (Western) country, Australia, they get locked up. Unlike Australia, however, which pays for them to fly back to their own country once they have been processed, Thailand keeps them locked up until someone pays for their ticket back to their own country. But as you say, Thailand has nothing to learn from Western culture

The reason why Australia and theoretically Thailand (and even Aunty's little cuntry, Nw Zlnd) can claim to know how many over-stayers are in the country is that they record both arrivals and departures in the Immigration computers. However those figures are to some extent over-stated as people can arrive and depart on different passports (more difficult in Australia), leave by "informal" methods - by fishing boat, across a land border that has no immigration check-point, and so on. Countries where departures are not checked via the Immigration computers, such as the US or the UK, have no reliable way of reporting over-stayers"

Here in Singapore too. The computers are very efficient but it's an island so plenty of ways to leave by boat without being recorded.

Beachlover
July 26th, 2008, 06:40
So the best option is to carry a photocopy of my passport + arrival stamp... NOT the passport itself (I'd be a little nervous carrying my passport into bars...)

Has anyone ever been checked and found the photocopy was enough? Anyone ever been carted away?

Any reason why it should be lamenated?... I'm usually only in country for a few days at most.

July 26th, 2008, 06:41
Thanks Curious. What you say seems logical. Most countries I guess keep active Immigration records of entry and departure. I'm sure Thailand would.

Though staying in jail until someone pays the fare could mean a long stay. This is the same technique used in Britain in the 19th century with Debtors prisons. Stay until your debt is cleared. It's a most illogical way of going about it.

However, staying undetected and overstay is I suppose easy. That complete shit in Serbia managed it for 9 years. Knowing you've overstayed and doing something about it are different things!

I presume that weirdo has posted my comment again that Thailand has nothing to learn from the West. I wouldn't know. He's on my ignore list. I regard Thailand as a wonderful country. But my views don't extend to Pattaya which I regard as a hell hole that typifies everything revolting about the West.

Thailand is being cajoled into accepting many Western ways - ways that I regard as evil. I am sure there's so much the West could learn from Thailand. They really should. It's almost too late for them. Their cultures are so rotten now that I wonder if anything can be done to reverse them.

alittlebi-old
July 26th, 2008, 07:43
So the best option is to carry a photocopy of my passport + arrival stamp... NOT the passport itself (I'd be a little nervous carrying my passport into bars...)

Has anyone ever been checked and found the photocopy was enough? Anyone ever been carted away?

Any reason why it should be lamenated?... I'm usually only in country for a few days at most.

The only thing I can add -- the copy of your passport and arrival stamp serve the purpose of identifying you. If they decide to not accept the copy as genuine -- they can accompany you to your room to view the original. However, carrying the copies generally means you are legit ... so my opinion is -- they would send you on your way.

That is provided of course, that you don't test positive for drugs, or be caught breaking some other Thai law.

And your question about a "laminated" copy: The only thing to be laminated is the copy of your passport photo page. You get it laminated so that it will last and not get destroyed. The arrival stamp/arrival card needs only to be a paper photo copy, as it isn't expected to be reused like your passport copy.

I know guys who have carried copies and were let go.

colmx
July 26th, 2008, 07:49
Following advice on this board, I (stupidly!) took my passport to rachada spi 8 in BKK last april..
Woke up next morning with no passport - was with Bf at the time,both of us Mau... :drunken:
Net result was 3 days spent queueing in Irish Consulate for temp passport and Soi Suan Plau for new visa.
And 3 days lost vacation for late return to work
Net answer is NEVER take ur passport out with you!
Chances of being arrested are less than than that of losing ur passport - in my opioion...

cottmann
July 26th, 2008, 08:08
Lookie here!!

a shrunken lamented copy of my passport

If you were a spelling bee, you could sting this! :-)

Oh Henry, I love it when you talk dirty!!

Smiles
July 26th, 2008, 08:17
except for the intrudence of The Unforeseen in the application of the law by any individual Immigration officer.And if you get caught away from the airport and you're an over-stayer, don't expect protests of "Khun Bee at Hua Hin office told me I'd be OK" will necessarily carry any weight at all. There are multiple postings on this topic over at Thaivisa
Actually not the case.
When I went to Suan Phlu (to confirm the Hua Hin advice) I was in fact "in" my overstay time (unlike in Hua Hin when I went 2 weeks before). I guess they could have arrested my on the spot, but they did not ... just repeated the advice that I did not have a problem, and to pay up at the airport when leaving for Australia.

Cheers ...

July 26th, 2008, 08:33
Actually not the case. Which bit is actually not the case? There are not multiple postings on Thaivisa on this topic? You can't necessarily expect your protestations to carry any weight?

Aunty
July 26th, 2008, 09:33
The reason why Australia (and even Aunty's little cuntry, New Zealand) can claim to know how many over-stayers are in the country is that they record both arrivals and departures in the Immigration computers. However those figures are to some extent over-stated as people can arrive and depart on different passports (more difficult in Australia), leave by "informal" methods - by fishing boat, across a land border and so on.

Oh yeah? So which land borders would those be then, Beryl? Ya stupid old fool.

July 26th, 2008, 10:10
The Pattaya "newspapers" often over-report this type of news on foreigners carrying passports and then certainly the news is over-interpreted here (hence "ID" is implied to be a passport, when a copy would suffice). And this goes on. I remember once the Pattaya mail reporting the involvement of the "US Government" with Pattaya police in a pedo raid, news which disappeared from their server a few hours later (still in the "cache" last I checked). Pattaya newspapers should not be considered very professional. More like those U.K. rags and the NY Post.

You should always have your passport ready when checking in to air flights throughout Thaialnd, checking into hotels (though I note that there has been some relaxation here lately), and doing certain bank tranactions and sometimes cashing traveler's checks.

lonelywombat
July 26th, 2008, 10:14
My friends last night in Pattaya was going to be drinks at Come Inn and followed by Krazy Dragon, maybe offing a boy or two.

When he arrived via Soi VC there were plain clothes police everywhere. Turned around and went to BBB no longer in the mood, was pissed off and ended up home for an early night, by himself.

He claims that expats he has met are getting worried about the increasing police presence. It is not only underage and drugs, they feel it is a determined push against Sunee area

July 26th, 2008, 10:15
"Thailand is being cajoled into accepting many Western ways - ways that I regard as evil. I am sure there's so much the West could learn from Thailand. They really should. It's almost too late for them. Their cultures are so rotten now that I wonder if anything can be done to reverse them."

If you make stupid comments like that no wonder The Colonel is making fun of you.

July 26th, 2008, 10:25
"Khun Bee at Hua Hin office told me

Is he the twin brother of Khun Aey?

yedo111
July 26th, 2008, 13:47
I went to the Dude club twice the last week without any ID.

So if the police see me without any ID what can I do ? Maybe they will arrest me ?

Ok anyway thanks for the warning, I will make a photocopy of my passport now.

Aunty
July 26th, 2008, 15:33
What with all these raids going on down there, it seems the new Cheif of Police of Pattaya has got it in for you old homos!

thanatorn-old
July 26th, 2008, 16:16
As mentioned this is one of the topics that always crop up periodically on this and numerous other boards.

It really will depend on who you have the fortune/misfortune to deal with. I have had a friend caught in a raid in Bkk who was carted off (but let off at the police station after a bollocking - lucky man) as the photocopy of the passport was not enough - being told "Thai people must carry an original ID so what makes you think you only need a photocopy?"

I personally photocopy the relevant pages etc and leave that in the hotel room safe and carry my passport. We are all old enough or should be to look after our documents and wallets etc. At the end of the day it is their law and whether they enforce it to the book or just as they wish on that occasion, it is up to them. We should respect it and comply. It is less hassle in the long run. I find it quite amusing and at the same time irritating that visitors should winge about rules in other countries they visit or live in. If you don't want to play ball then dont leave home.

July 26th, 2008, 16:22
Thais don't of course have to carry their passport!

The problem is that most countries issue ID cards. I think only England and Australia (America???) are the exception.

July 26th, 2008, 16:28
Thais don't of course have to carry their passport!Who is this damn fool? Thais must carry ID cards

July 26th, 2008, 16:53
I think that the point homintern misses but that Dek Wat understands, is that the loss of a passport for a person staying in Thailand is much more serious than the loss of an ID card for a Thai.
A farang would have to jump through many hoops to recover a new passport, get the visa he may be on reintroduced etcetc.

July 26th, 2008, 16:59
Exactly Lester. Passports are serious things - much more so than an ID card.

July 26th, 2008, 17:00
I think that the point homintern misses but that Dek Wat understands, is that the loss of a passport for a person staying in Thailand is much more serious than the loss of an ID card for a Thai. A farang would have to jump through many hoops to recover a new passport, get the visa he may be on reintroduced etcetc.As someone who lives in Thailand I understand the issues all too well

July 26th, 2008, 17:22
I think that the point homintern misses but that Dek Wat understands, is that the loss of a passport for a person staying in Thailand is much more serious than the loss of an ID card for a Thai. A farang would have to jump through many hoops to recover a new passport, get the visa he may be on reintroduced etcetc.As someone who lives in Thailand I understand the issues all too well

Or better, at least, than you understand the laws on prostitution (one would assume).

Besides, holding diplomatic passports from multiple countries as he claims to, I would think hummingturd would have minions on call to issue him new ones at the tinkle of the servant's bell.

Beachlover
July 26th, 2008, 19:03
TT

Beachlover
July 26th, 2008, 19:04

The only thing I can add -- the copy of your passport and arrival stamp serve the purpose of identifying you. If they decide to not accept the copy as genuine -- they can accompany you to your room to view the original. However, carrying the copies generally means you are legit ... so my opinion is -- they would send you on your way.

That is provided of course, that you don't test positive for drugs, or be caught breaking some other Thai law.

And your question about a "laminated" copy: The only thing to be laminated is the copy of your passport photo page. You get it laminated so that it will last and not get destroyed. The arrival stamp/arrival card needs only to be a paper photo copy, as it isn't expected to be reused like your passport copy.

Beachlover
July 26th, 2008, 19:04

I see... makes sense... thanks alittlebi!

Aunty
July 26th, 2008, 19:12
Have they actually required any farang to undergo the pee test yet during these raids?

July 27th, 2008, 02:26

Or better, at least, than you understand the laws on prostitution (one would assume).

Besides, holding diplomatic passports from multiple countries as he claims to, I would think hummingturd would have minions on call to issue him new ones at the tinkle of the servant's bell.

Not minions. I'm sure he calls them boys.

July 27th, 2008, 05:41
Not minions. I'm sure he calls them boys.No, I call them minions, although I'm toying with the idea of calling them dek wats

yedo111
July 27th, 2008, 12:54
Dude now checking ID of everyone before entering the club.
It felt much safer last night, security guards did a great job checking every ones ID.

The show was not as good as last weekend but still alot of hot dancing boys around.

July 27th, 2008, 23:50
... holding diplomatic passports from multiple countries as he (Homintern) claims to ...

Actually, he doesn't quite make that claim - he just helps you to assume it is what he means. What the Corporal carefully refers to are "official" passports, which are simply those issued free to servicemen, etc, which have none of the diplomatic status he never had.

July 28th, 2008, 08:50
DELETED