PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Dinner

krobbie
July 25th, 2008, 06:48
I need to book a restaurant for Christmas dinner in BKK. It needs to be reasonable priced.

Has anyone any information that may make my decision at little easier?

It doesn't have to be a "gay" or gay owned reastaurant. Any place decent with a trad. dinner would be fine.

I want to take my lover and before anyone starts saying Thai's don't much like western food ... he isn't Thai.

Cheers
Krobbie

July 25th, 2008, 11:51
Heavens alive this the sweetest post I have ever read. You obviously want to get Christmas dinny-dins just right for your love, given that's only July you are certainly going to have enough time to find the perfect place.

I've never had Christmas in Bangkok I always go to Africa for it, simple affair, few birds, bubbly and a canned pud.

Look forward to hearing some of the suggestions.

krobbie
July 25th, 2008, 11:55
... it's only July and before you know it it's November and I haven't got anything sorted. Surprise ... I'm a bit of a planner (to say the least).

I will be in BKK in a couple of weeks (exactly) and I want to look at the places that might be mentioned.

Cheers
krobbie

July 25th, 2008, 12:34
... it's only July and before you know it it's November
krobbie

:cheers: You're a delight. I've never planned anything five months in advance, a week is all I give myself usually.

Why Bangkok? Wouldn't a beach Christmas be nicer? Sorry just interfering. But you've got me thinking about Christmas you nutter. Hmmm beach, swimming, barbecued fishies, salt air, palm trees ,soft sand. Snorkling, little hut hmmmm

krobbie
July 25th, 2008, 12:56
Cedric, will be off to Hua Hin on December 26 (after hangover quietens). Hua Hin perfect place for a good wind down. Loved it in February and I'm sure will be just as nice come Christmas.

Glad I've got you thinking about your own plans. One must surely be ready ... on the other hand lastminute.com and wotif.com have great last minute prices in high season. THat's my plan but I just want to make sure a good spread can be found at a decent price.

Thanks also fattman for your advice.

Cheers
krobbie

July 25th, 2008, 13:12
Hi Krobbie. Looks like I'll be in Thailand for Christmas also!
I don't think Ceddie will be interested slumming it with the lower classes like us. I'm too blue-collar and you're too "middle management". We wouldn't want to ruin his Tea and Crumpet party at the Peninsula.
If we can get together I'll try to keep boyfriend off the tequila shots and we should be fine.

And Ceddie will miss the noisy corporate shenanegans like.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmjvAJS0_V4&feature=PlayList&p=5C604613C32A2A8E&index=93

July 25th, 2008, 13:28
Cedric, will be off to Hua Hin on December 26 (after hangover quietens). Hua Hin perfect place for a good wind down. Loved it in February and I'm sure will be just as nice come Christmas.

Glad I've got you thinking about your own plans. One must surely be ready ... on the other hand lastminute.com and wotif.com have great last minute prices in high season.
Cheers
krobbie

Sounds wonderful? Ideal in fact.

I never seem to have a problem last minute. There are always seats available. I have to admit to having stayed in some right royal dives just a few times as a result but that's fun too. Usually if there is sudden major conference like the technology fair or jewellery convention.

This happened to me when I decided to drive to Rimini from Berlin on the spur of the moment, to meet my Uncle coming back from Greece. Nothing absolutely nothing and I arrived in the dead of night, just the sound of car alarms and barking dogs. I had to sleep in the car on the highway as the uncle forgot to leave the key under the mat. Must say its a bit of a dodgy town he lives in.

What happens if you change your minds, I mean all those plans reservations deposits.

July 25th, 2008, 13:40
I wonder if he's ever been to a company xmas party?
A bunch of middle managers getting drunk. Secrataries putting their boobs on the xerox machine. Ah,the good old days....

http://youtube.com/watch?v=EktVzsYjMJk&feature=related

Lunchtime O'Booze
July 25th, 2008, 16:08
I need to book a restaurant for Christmas dinner in BKK. It needs to be reasonable priced.

It doesn't have to be a "gay" or gay owned reastaurant. Any place decent with a trad. dinner would be fine.

I want to take my lover and before anyone starts saying Thai's don't much like western food ... he isn't Thai.

Cheers
Krobbie

he isn't Thai ?..where is from then..tell us more.

July 25th, 2008, 16:28

Are you intending to stay in a hotel. If so, better check that you are not going to be charged a mandatory double room rate for Christmas Day and New Years Day. A large number of Thai hotels use this practice with the excuse that they are providing resident guests with an inclusive Christmas or New Years dinner. But quite often the dinner provided is pretty awful and worth nowhere near what an extra day's room rate would be. You can of course opt to forego their dinner - but you will be charged the double room rate anyway, whether you eat it or not!

DJB0Y-old
July 25th, 2008, 18:08
Zanotti Restaurant on Soi Saladeang is always a great choice for a holiday meal (Christmas and/or New Year's).

http://www.zanotti-ristorante.com/

They do require advanced bookings although it might be a bit early 6 months before Christmas.

Happy Holidays!!!!

DJB0Y-old
July 25th, 2008, 18:10
Zanotti Restaurant on Soi Saladeang is always a great choice for a holiday meal (Christmas and/or New Year's).

http://www.zanotti-ristorante.com/

They do require advanced bookings although it might be a bit early 6 months before Christmas.

Happy Holidays!!!!

July 25th, 2008, 20:44
I wonder if he's ever been to a company xmas party?
A bunch of middle managers getting drunk. Secrataries putting their boobs on the xerox machine. Ah,the good old days....

Chortle chortle. Gosh I feel the rush of Christmas spirit upon me already.

KenC you bear a striking resemblance to Tara before the septum collapse. White Xmas in Africa sweetie? Hua Hin is so Smiles these days we wouldn't want to crowd him.

July 25th, 2008, 22:08
Try the Landmark Hotel as they have an excellent buffet. They may laugh if you try to book Christmas already tho.

krobbie
July 26th, 2008, 09:43
he isn't Thai ?..where is from then..tell us more.

FYI LOB, he is Turkish/Pakistani.

July 26th, 2008, 09:54
They wouldn't dare luvthai, its just so blessed. My taxi driver tells me Thai's love Christmas, especially the tree and all the tinsel and baubles lights and things, Is this true? He was getting quite excited about it just like krobbies.

Talking about Christmas trees I wonder if Pearl is still alive. Or did they dredge up sequins and stilettos from the Wellington harbour, hope she got those pamphlets for Ocean tower shrink wrapped.

July 26th, 2008, 10:00
FYI LOB, he is Turkish/Pakistani.

Krobs are you sure you're doing the right thing by this merry Christmas surprise. Its just, well I wonder if the day at the beach isn't just fine on its own. Remember pork is fattening, all that nice glazed ham wont be good for you.

July 26th, 2008, 10:10
"Remember pork is fattening, all that nice glazed ham wont be good for you."

If his friend is Muslim they won't be having the pork, maybe? But then why have a Xmas dinner?

krobbie
July 26th, 2008, 11:12

If his friend is Muslim they won't be having the pork, maybe? But then why have a Xmas dinner?

You guys are correct on both counts. Nice spotting Curious. Yes it is fattening and no my muslim guy won't be partaking in a pork roast.

He keeps saying to order it if it what I want most from the menu. I don't of course. I am from New Zealand and well brought up. Lamb is more to both our taste.

Thanks to another poster here and a gracious PM, I have my plan sorted.

Cheers all
krobbie

July 26th, 2008, 11:52
Nice spotting Curious.
Cheers all
krobbie

Think it wasn't that difficult to spot, but anyway that was exactly what I was implying while trying to steer you around the Christian show of gluttony at the birth of the baby Christ. I was being tactful.

Pork is yummy, especial the crackling :cherry:

July 26th, 2008, 13:12
Pork is yummy, especial the cracklingIndeed - I always ask Malaysian Airlines for a "special meal" of real bacon and eggs. Try asking for it if you want really filthy looks

TrongpaiExpat
July 26th, 2008, 13:19
Indeed - I always ask Malaysian Airlines for a "special meal" of real bacon and eggs. Try asking for it if you want really filthy looks

I imagine you get that a lot, filthy looks that is.

July 27th, 2008, 06:34
Please, please try and keep this in the spirit of Christmas. Its a time of good cheer and something or other to all men. :reindeer: :santa: :reindeer: :angel1:
You wont get a Christmas card from Krobbies otherwise and he is in the mood right now.

krobbie
July 27th, 2008, 07:08
I stopped doing Christmas cards last year. Huge money to get them all over the world (I'm very very popular don't you know) so now I just send emails individually and not just cut and paste either.

Year before last my postage alone was over $NZ75.00 and that could be better spent. Also my family started the one gift only drawn a month before Christmas. Spend no more than $50 on the person you have drawn. Suits me. I will have to leave the gift with my sis to give out as I will be in LOS at a nice pub on Silom Road scoffing up large.

krobbie

July 27th, 2008, 07:36
Spend no more than $50 on the person you have drawn.

krobbie

I love that I'll be in your Xmas draw this festive July,instead of a boring old Christmas card, very sensible. For some reason I am entirely charmed by any and every incongruity I come across these rainy monsoon days, except snow and robins at a feeding trough of course.

Asia does this to you a I think.

A very Merry Christmas Kobbie.

krobbie
July 27th, 2008, 09:41
you gorgeous man thank you for for your Christmas greeting. I shall pop it in a drawer until December and perhaps bring it with me to LOS on the 22nd.

Cheers
krobbie