PDA

View Full Version : Tough times down on the farm ...

Smiles
July 24th, 2008, 19:50
This morning I received this email from Suphot. Since I've been away (going back in September) he has been going back and forth between Hua Hin, where we have a condo, and Surin, his home province and where he is taking a good part in the care of his very sick father . . . watching over him, taking care of the family fields and crops, puttering around here and there keeping the house up to good standard.

When he gets exhausted with this he comes back to Hua Hin and just sleeps for a few days, relaxes with some friends, takes it easy, clears his mind etc etc.
But the world economic mess has affected Thai life to a great extent, especially way out there in hard scrabble rice country places like Surin, and Ubon, and Si Saket . . . places most folks on these boards rarely end up in for any length of time.
Prices of farm and life staples are heading skywards, and of course ~ like in the west ~ the price of gasoline has increased quite harmfully. But income has stayed very much the same, and the great wide countryside of Thailand is feeling it badly.

Thought I'd share with you an email I received this morning. It illustrates (gently, as is his way) the angst created by high gas prices specifically. To underline the problem ... gas prices at 50 baht a litre in Thailand is a killer, for that is exactly the same price as here in Canada right now.

Given that the average wage (national) here at home is around $35,000 a year, you should be able to easily understand the problem taking into consideration the much lower average in Thailand. (I've quoted it in full in order to get the "feel" so you'll have to wade through the spelling and lack of commas and spaces. He's a`very good english speaker, but writing is very difficult for him ~ it takes him an hour of slogging to produce this length of letter.)

Dear my David
Thank you so much for all email hope every think okey wiht your Morther and your Father I pay a bill for electric and water every thing okey I not take your Madonna to surin and gasoline go up in Country side 50 Baht a litter in Prasat (Surin) 43.85 Baht a litter and here 43.24 baht a litter so get big promdlem now higt payment income same be for every thing go up price.very hand living so here Hua Hin not so much tourist. well I was a box by air mail I a bag for your sister and the Birht day card for your MaMa so I hope not lost a way okey sweet heart I so hungry but can not have a xespensipe food so just pad krapuokig that enup but I will buy phone card put on your phone call but can use untill September do dot worry okey I will write a gain to morow
Take care
100 hiss
love Suphot
Certainly price increases in general have hit us hard here in the west as well (like Thailand, especially in gas prices) ... but our 'fallback' system has greater strength: we have greater savings, far greater incomes, big expensive homes, decent pensions, toys to sell, investment portfolios etc etc. On the farm, in Thailand, that is mostly not the case.
It's going to be a very difficult slog for the majority of Thai folks as long as these types of costs continue, and the cost/income ratio stays as it is. Certainly relief doesn't seem to be in sight.

Cheers ...

thrillbill
July 24th, 2008, 20:18
Thanks Smiles for reminding us about the tough life of rural Thailand right now.

bao-bao
July 24th, 2008, 21:06
He's a very good english speaker, but writing is very difficult for him ~ it takes him an hour of slogging to produce this length of letter.

If I cheat and peek I could maybe write three words in Thai. Anyone who doesn't appreciate someone who makes this much effort to write in English can get stuffed, in my opinion; it must be one of the worst current languages to learn to read, speak or write, and by my observations earlier this year Pot seemed to be managing all three. Many of my friends there struggle with English and I both respect and admire their efforts.

Finances and living expenses are indeed much more of a challenge now for the people in the outlying areas of Thailand. The price of rice alone is hurting a lot of people and there just doesn't seem to be any real relief in sight.

Luckily Suphot's a resourceful, hard-working man and will do fine holding down the two "family" forts until you return.

July 24th, 2008, 21:29
It's going to be a very difficult slog for the majority of Thai folks as long as these types of costs continue, and the cost/income ratio stays as it is. Certainly relief doesn't seem to be in sight.

Cheers ...

They will fall back onto the usual ... sending their sons and daughters to the city to sell themselves to the highest bidder.
Supply and Demand ... will the short time price reduce?

July 24th, 2008, 21:49
Coincidentally, my Thai friend was talking to one of the food cart owners that comes by the house. The cart man was complaining that his profit is down about 50%. I was told he said that he use to make a profit of about 800 baht a day. He is now making only 400 baht a day. He was complaining that business is very slow.

He sells hot dogs, and beef on a stick type of food. He sells it for only 10 baht a piece. Most all of his sales are to Thais. The price seems cheap to me but apparently a lot of Thais are hurting financially and are cutting back even on cheap food here in Pattaya. The cart seller said that if he raises his price, no one will buy from him.

thrillbill
July 24th, 2008, 22:43
Coincidentally, my Thai friend was talking to one of the food cart owners that comes by the house. The cart man was complaining that his profit is down about 50%. I was told he said that he use to make a profit of about 800 baht a day. He is now making only 400 baht a day. He was complaining that business is very slow.

He sells hot dogs, and beef on a stick type of food. He sells it for only 10 baht a piece. Most all of his sales are to Thais. The price seems cheap to me but apparently a lot of Thais are hurting financially and are cutting back even on cheap food here in Pattaya. The cart seller said that if he raises his price, no one will buy from him.

mmmm- makes me sometimes wonder what kind of local "meat" is in those "sausages." (There's plenty of stray dogs a vendor could gather up along the beaches and economically make them into "hotdogs".

Narakmak
July 24th, 2008, 22:56
Certainly price increases in general have hit us hard here in the west as well (like Thailand, especially in gas prices) ... but our 'fallback' system has greater strength: we have greater savings, far greater incomes, big expensive homes, decent pensions, toys to sell, investment portfolios etc etc. On the farm, in Thailand, that is mostly not the case.

Cheers ...
Speak for yourself.

July 24th, 2008, 23:53
and gasoline go up in Country side 50 Baht a litter in Prasat (Surin) 43.85 Baht a litter and here 43.24 baht a litter so get big

Must go up more, to many Waco's drive on there streets .

July 24th, 2008, 23:59
gas prices at 50 baht a litre in Thailand is a killer, for that is exactly the same price as here in Canada right now.

In Belgium 85 bath and i drive a Jeep and still smoke cigarettes hi hi hi, so whats the problem ?

jinks
July 25th, 2008, 00:24
In Belgium 85 bath and i still smoke cigarettes hi hi hi, so whats the problem ?

Same price in the UK for fuel but my ciggies are collected on my 2 trips to Spain each year = half price :)

Diec
July 25th, 2008, 01:50
I see no reason why poor Suphot should have to be exhausted after a day of work. What kind of a boyfriend are you Smiles? I would never let my future husband allow himself to become exhausted from work. Maybe we could have a fund raiser for Suphot so he is not rattled by the high cost of petrol and the exhausting work he does back at the farm. It's obvious from his email you are not helping him.

July 25th, 2008, 03:09
I see no reason why poor Suphot should have to be exhausted after a day of work. What kind of a boyfriend are you Smiles? I would never let my future husband allow himself to become exhausted from work. Maybe we could have a fund raiser for Suphot so he is not rattled by the high cost of petrol and the exhausting work he does back at the farm. It's obvious from his email you are not helping him.

Many Thais are not money boys and work very very hard. They try to be our equal, and this is something many of us would love them to be. Unfortunately Thailands economy doesnt allow this so they have to make do and try their best to keep up with us rich farangs. Peoiple like Suphot have my utmost respect.

Dodger
July 25th, 2008, 04:04
Aside from the main topic line of high gas prices, I would be flattered to receive a message so well defined and honest.

Suphot is clearly a remarkable young man, something which doesn't surprise me in the least. I just wish there were more like him around.

The messages I've received in the past, including the most recent ones from the little maniac I bonded with, are nothing more than a continuation of prefabricated and twisted story lines, with agenda's so hidden it would take even Jacques Cousteau to new and unexplored depths.

And furthermore, the little bastard doesn't call me "Sweetheart" either.

Smiles
July 25th, 2008, 04:18
" ... Aside from the main topic line of high gas prices, I would be flattered to receive a message so well defined and honest... "
I especially enjoyed the " ... Take care, 100 hiss, love Suphot ... " part, which of course should have been "100 kiss".
But you know, I wouldn't change little mistakes like that for a million bucks. I told him on the phone today about that, and said to him that "hiss" in English is the sound a cat makes when horny. He was lying on the sofa at the time of the call (at night, opposite to my morning) and he said he was having trouble sleeping in an empty house: " ... OK, I like cat now ... " :blackeye:

To the gentlemen informing of the huge costs of gasoline in Europe: The point of the comparison to Thailand was the huge discrepancy between Thai costs and Thai wages . . . the difference between the two being much much greater than that in Europe, or Canada, or the western middle class world.

And of course, the Board Troll needs no answer . . . besides the disgusting photograph of him drunk and fat in Pattaya I have sequestered away for the right place and time. (Anyone interested in viewing this photo, just PM me).

Cheers ...

(Edited for bad-tempered remarks)

July 25th, 2008, 05:32
[No I shouldn't]

colmx
July 25th, 2008, 05:53
[quote="Henry Cate"]
if the United States voted to change course, and free itself from the shackles of environmentalism-run-out-of-control, then Suphot would be enjoying MUCH lower prices at the gas pump.
[quote]

Oh my god
BlkCuteguy has been re-incarnated!

Surely you meant:
If the United States voted to stop guzzling the worlds fuel reserves in their huge cars - then Suphot would be enjoying MUCH lower prices at the gas pump?

Back to the topic...
Nice to have another one of Pots e-mails online... would post one of my BFs... except the baxtard never sends me any!
"you call every day... why i have to send?" :blackeye: :blackeye: :blackeye:

Smiles
July 25th, 2008, 05:53
Regarding Henry: Sigh .......

krobbie
July 25th, 2008, 06:09
The thing about the letter from Suphot is that YOU (smiles) know that every word is factual and not fabricated and the facts are just that. The spelling, grammar and usage of the language is incidental and irrelevant but the content is poignant and the effort he goes to to convey what is happening is great. He knows you want to know these things about your adopted country.

We know it must be hard on the sort of money the general Thai population subsist on but just how hard, one can only surmise as it is beyond most of our imaginings.

For my part, currently I simply use less gas as I don't go out as much and when I do I make sure I do as many things as possible on each trip. I am also economising, which means I only buy sliced salmon once a month and a lower grade of cream cheese etc. Everything is relative to where you are at any given moment.

I will be back in BKK in less than 2 weeks, so I will get a feel myself of what is going on. My lover tells me that there is fewer people dining at the restaurant he works at. His hours have been cut back to 3 nights a week, sometimes 4 . He eats a lot of noodles and/or rice and not enough vegetables. I am always on at him about vegetables.

What can I do ... support him in all the ways I am able. Emotionally and financially (in modest fashion). He supports me emotionally and physically, so it seems a fair deal to me.

Cheers
krobbie

July 25th, 2008, 06:38
Regarding Henry: Sigh .......

Would not lower gas prices help your guy?

And everyone else?

But evidently, you think I am absurd, and keep that gun pointed at your head.

Well, this weekend, I am going out for a drive.

krobbie
July 25th, 2008, 06:50
Henry, you make me laugh I mean really. Have a great drive :cheers:

krobbie

Smiles
July 25th, 2008, 07:32
" ... Would not lower gas prices help your guy? And everyone else?

Of Course.

But evidently, you think I am absurd ...

Not in the least. I think your analysis of the situation is absurd. (You're trying too hard). ... "

So we can agree to disagree. Right?

Cheers ...

July 25th, 2008, 08:06
With the high prices of agricultural products - esp. rice - the Thai farmers should make a killing this year.

Alas, most are too poor to have the capital to invest heavily in their crops right now and don't have a large enough landholding to make it worthwhile.

Boyfriend's family goes to the Bank of Uncle Kenny where they get a generous rate of 0% on no money down loans with infinitely long repayment scheduals.
This year they sold the damn cows (at a loss) and used the money to buy a new rice tractor, rent out 10 more rai of land and buy seed. ( My contribution was the fertilizer).

July 25th, 2008, 08:17
I certainly hope smiles sent him a nice big fat money transfer to cover all those "hardship". A condo for a country gentleman? Isn't he spending more and more time "down park" potting up curcuma?

Ethiopia is of course a different story and again raising its bony ribs from memories of past horrific tragedy. Crops goats Camels and then people are dying as I type. Drought the last insult on a people well used to extreme hardship.

ps Cost of fuel has gone down here yesterday, think this might happen across Asia

July 25th, 2008, 09:00
Lucky Suphot and the rest: fuel prices down with approx. THB 4 per liter!!

So Suphot, tonight's Tom Yam Kung night!!

lo-so
July 25th, 2008, 09:20
Is the family not benefiting from the even bigger percentage rise in the price of rice? (assuming they are rice farmers)

July 25th, 2008, 09:31
I can't think of a single year over the past twenty years where rural families didn't complain about how tough they were having it. Kind of the same thing with Pattaya bar owners.

lo-so
July 25th, 2008, 09:38
A rising tide lifts all boats - a number of bar boys have gone home in the prospect of a slightly better financial position. I do wonder in which country do farmers say they are doing ok??

Davey612
July 25th, 2008, 10:13
However, lots of teenagers seem to prefer polar bears over human beans.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

Henry, human beans? Do you mean the bean counters, aka, accountants?

Is it me, or Henry is actually the founder of gaythailand in disquise. That is the only other person who can have a harem of guys around him.

Oh, Smiles, regarding what is going on over there. Yes, it is tough, but then I doubt it has ever been easy. Remember the 1997 crisis?

...and regarding the comment about food products bringing a better price for farmers. No. The cost of production has gone up. Guess which company is one of the best performers in the U.S. stock market? Potash. Yup, a company that produces fertilizers.

July 25th, 2008, 10:31
I seem to remember the Thai government telling farmers not to go mad and plant more rice simply because of the rice shortage, as the price would come tumbling down with the surplus expected this year. Lets hope they didn't cut all the mango trees down to make more rice fields. Then again the remaining mango farmers will be smiling.

We were expecting a shortage of rice, it never came. Tons of Thai rice on the shelves. The biggest fear would be that we would be forced to eat Chinese rice, far lower quality than Thai rice to the discerning Hong Kong palates.

July 25th, 2008, 10:50
Is the family not benefiting from the even bigger percentage rise in the price of rice? (assuming they are rice farmers)

The money is made by middlemen; most rice farmers are mired in poverty whatever the retail price is.

Well they could if a) they have a few hundred rai of land and b)they have irrigated land and thus can get 3 crops a year. But then we're talking about central plains farmers who benefitted from the vast irrigation projects of King Chulalongkorn. When you fly into Bangkok haven't you ever noticed the long streches of large rectanglular farms that seem to go on forever and are criss-crossed by canals? That didn't just fall out of the sky that way. It was all built early in the last century. Oh, and by the way, that land was then handed out to the elite Princes and well connected politicians and businessmen.
And have you ever notice flying over Isaan how that regularity disappears and all the farms look like small crazy-quilt patchwork with no canals? No canals=no regular water=only one crop a year dependent on the monsoon rains.

Middlemen always take a cut, but with small farms and little product the cut hurts a lot more.

I can't think of a single year over the past twenty years where rural families didn't complain about how tough they were having it....

Maybe because they are having it tough? Have you seen the way the Peasants live? Do you ever get out of the Castle?

.... I do wonder in which country do farmers say they are doing ok??

Uh, the United States? Ever since Nancy Pelosi clicked her Ruby Slippers together (not golden slippers Henry Cate) and passed the biggest boondoggle Farm Bill in history. A bill, I might add, passed overwhelmingly by both Democrats AND Republicans.

Pity the only Thai politician in 1000 years to try to do anything for the rural poor was Thaksin and looked what the Old Guard did to him. And the huffing and puffing about him by the Farang community probably had more to do with his closing the bars early than any of his other policies.

Instead of being so eager to pass judgement try listening to what the boys are saying about their family life. Try reading between the lines. And if you really care, go for a visit and see how they live.

But then again, maybe just fcuk 'em and pay 'em and don't worry about it.

July 25th, 2008, 11:10
Of COURSE the bloody peasants are bloody having a hard time. They led a hand-to-mouth existence in 1908, in 1958, in 1978, and today in 2008. And you know what? They will be leading a hand-to-mouth existence in 2018, 2028, and 2058. Why? Because the system is DESIGNED so that they are ALWAYS going to be living a hand-to-mouth existence.

Same same then, same same now, same same in the future. I feel for them, but then again, anyone with enough brains, determination, and vigor can get out of the trap and make something of themselves. Those are the people I really admire.

July 25th, 2008, 11:29
Of COURSE the bloody peasants are bloody having a hard time. They led a hand-to-mouth existence in 1908, in 1958, in 1978, and today in 2008. And you know what? They will be leading a hand-to-mouth existence in 2018, 2028, and 2058. Why? Because the system is DESIGNED so that they are ALWAYS going to be living a hand-to-mouth existence....
Well finally! That's the most sensible thing you've ever said.
Boy, you must be a Geenyus!

... anyone with enough brains, determination, and vigor can get out of the trap and make something of themselves. Those are the people I really admire.

Ah, I might take exception with you there. As my Mom used to say "It's not what you know, It's Who you know." Without connections even the smartest bumpkin is going to have a hard time rising up in this society. Of course your description perfectly describes Thaksin and, again, look what happened to him.
But I agree, anyone who has the "brains, determination, and vigor" to get out of the trap are worthy of admiration - in any society.
Kind of brings the Bar Boys up just a little notch, doesn't it?

July 26th, 2008, 03:31
What I meant to say is actually quite simple:

If Americans increased their production of petroleum and other energy sources, then the price of gas/petrol would probably fall.

The rest of the verbiage is about who wants to do that.

July 26th, 2008, 05:57
If Americans increased their production of petroleum and other energy sources, then the price of gas/petrol would probably fall.And if the US increased the tax on petrol to European levels, over time Americans would probably buy smaller cars, be more energy conscious etc. etc. But they're not going to do that either

July 26th, 2008, 09:14
Here in the Ubon and north into Issan, there are still a lot of farmers without rice planted as there has been little rain. Most rice growers in this area depend completely on rain for their rice wate, with no cannals or pumps. Well, it has been pretty dry, and not much rain in sight at the moment. The old timers say that the rain is sometimes late, but they can't remember there ever being a year without a crop...so we will wait and see.

Smiles
July 27th, 2008, 09:30
Lucky Suphot and the rest: fuel prices down with approx. THB 4 per liter!!
So Suphot, tonight's Tom Yam Kung night!!
:cheers: Tom Yam Kung a big favourite of his. I'm not huge on Tom Yam in general (though I've discovered a couple of variations which make me stand up and take notice . . . mostly by sneaking sips from his bowl). I like my 'kung' in Panang curry and we've found a great place in Hua Hin named 'Friend House' which serves the absolute best (@ 60 baht). We are regulars there now and I've noticed that over the course of our visits the owner/chef deposits larger and juicier 'kung' in the dish each time we show up. Perfect service in my books. Also great honking Sea Bass freshly caught that day ... on the grill at 250 baht and one will easily serve two.

If anyone is heading to Hua Hin for a look-see you are quite welcome to let us know and we can show you to some excellent Thai eating places which are not chock-a-block full of farang.

Cheers ...

TrongpaiExpat
July 27th, 2008, 13:51
I know a great little Thai shack in the boondocks of HH that serves wonderful Thai fare, plus a decent sausage & chips too!

Directions? Name?

The only place we found in HH that we liked was this garden restaurant on the main road, north of town, on the west side of the street with a name in Thai something like kow dee, good food.

One meal on the Beach road surrounded by complaining beach attired middle aged Euros, wer ist der brochen, was enough to drive me to the boondocks in search of food.