PDA

View Full Version : Sad end

July 22nd, 2008, 13:39
I thought I would write this as I fear its becoming more and more common, and I think we should do something about it before Bangkok is ruined.

A number of very fine restaurants in Bangkok have been wrecked by corporate diners. Restaurant that were once a wonderful relaxing place to unwind and enjoy the gentle pleasures of excellent food have become no more than hideous public houses for uncouth middle management.

Take La Scala for example. A once very good Italian restaurant serving meals to discerning diners in a relaxed elegant establishment, a triumph of innovative design, light and comfort, with wonderful food. Ruined.

I stayed at the Sukhothai hotel recently and thought as La Scala restaurant was in the hotel, in fact only one floor bellow my terrace suite on the pool deck, I would go back there and have a relaxed meal after a long and exhausting hot day. i had been before and found it excellent, in fact I wrote a very glowing report on it here before, so I was keen.

After taking a cold shower and frisking myself up I went down to dinner. What a surprise I was in for. Before I even got to the door I could hear strange rude crude shouting sounds like people where screaming at one another. I thought perhaps a little tiff, but it was not so when I went in, it was packed with corporate louts, drunk to their eyeballs screaming at the top of their voices to one-another and behaving in a completely unacceptable way. The food was totally secondary, if anyone was even noticing it I would be very surprised.

Before I had even sat down I was rudely bumped out of the way by a drunk expat loudly making his way to the toilet down the pool deck grasping a three quarters empty red wine to his stained chest. I moved tables three times the noise and vulgarity was so intense. Eventually I threw my napkin to the floor and left. Im not a person to turn down a good party by no means but there are times and places for this and its not restaurants.

Every-time a restaurant becomes popular the fucking corporates move in and fuck it up. It makes me very annoyed. The same happened to the Mango Tree the same happened to my favourite Thai at the Peninsula, its disgusting. And mostly it is always corporate expats usually male and quite often English.

Why cant they leave. I complained to management of the hotel and was promised they would ask patrons to keep it down. I don't think this is good enough. They're turning every half decent restaurant into a drunken raucous pub, its ruining Bangkok as a pleasant and gentle, charming place to be.

I for one think something should be done to stop them.

July 22nd, 2008, 15:38
I for one think something should be done to stop them.Yes, that sort of thing never happens in Hongkers does it?

July 22nd, 2008, 16:57
Yes, that sort of thing never happens in Hongkers does it?

Unfortunately all the time, but its expected here, its crawling with middle management expats, its almost purpose built for them. And even though there are specific areas especially for them like Lan kwai Fong, to avoid like the plague, they still advance rapidly on any thing vaguely interesting in other areas and ruin them for everyone else.

I just don't get why they have to get drunk and scream their heads off at one another in restaurants. Aren't pubs for that.

Aunty
July 22nd, 2008, 17:28
Before I even got to the door I could hear strange rude crude shouting sounds like people were screaming at one another.
That's British middle management!

Before I had even sat down I was rudely bumped out of the way by a drunk expat loudly making his way to the toilet down the pool deck grasping a three quarters empty red wine to his stained chest.
So you have meet Beryl!

Why cant they leave.
Believe you me, honey, if they had to pay for it themselves, they wouldn't be within a 1000 meters of the joint. Scratch middle management and what do you find? Lot's of fake Gucci and a mountain of debt.

I for one think something should be done to stop them.
Have you thought about letting the tyres down on their SUV's?

If you want to avoid middle management you need to find the restaurants where the old money goes.

July 22nd, 2008, 17:53
Ah yes, the plebs these days. :-)

La Scala is very pleasant at lunch time when such lager louts are in their office cubicles. For the price of two or three glasses of ice and water in BBB you get an excellent 3 course lunch in La Scala.

July 22nd, 2008, 17:57
s'funny. You'd have thought Ceddy's daddy would have let him in on where the decent clubs are in Honkers, Bangkers and their affiliates in blighty. Damned if I'm going to let on.

July 22nd, 2008, 17:57
[
That's British middle management!

So you have meet Beryl!

Believe you me, honey, if they had to pay for it themselves, they wouldn't be within a 1000 meters of the joint.

Have you thought about letting the tyres down on their SUV's?

If you want to avoid middle management you need to find the restaurants where the old money goes.

Tend to agree with that though Australians are not far behind. I realise that expense accounts are to blame, lets hope this recession kicks hard and where it counts. That's quite a good idea about the tyres except then they will hang around even longer. Yes I see Beryl is still on the job.

Well problem is even if it was a corner cart on wheels selling green mango salad and it was a wow, they would soon be on your heels.

It's encouraged, feed the barbarians pop as many bottles as possible get them drunk and take home a nice big tip, everyone happy.

Maybe, as draconian as it sounds and as much as I would miss my glass of icy New Zealand riesling, banning alcohol in restaurants is the only way. For Thailand's sake you understand.

July 22nd, 2008, 18:09
Ah yes, the plebs these days. :-)

For the price of two or three glasses of ice and water in BBB you get an excellent 3 course lunch in La Scala.

For the price of a few nights at the BBB you mean. Anyone stayed there it's the first I've heard of it, its billed as alternative gay, close to the airport.

Beachlover
July 22nd, 2008, 19:30
Yes... it's unfortunate corporates can be like this... part of the 'big swinging dick' mentality I guess...

There is a lot of money in attracting corporate swingers into venues though... it's no perfect world...

allieb
July 22nd, 2008, 20:58
I don't think they have invaded the Italian restaurant Zanotti under the Colonade in Soi Saladaeng. It was a nice place with a nice crowd the last time I went there.

July 22nd, 2008, 21:15
cedric - how old are you?

Bob
July 23rd, 2008, 03:05
its ruining Bangkok as a pleasant and gentle, charming place to be.

If somebody asked me to describe Bangkok, I'm extremely doubtful that "pleasant" or "charming" would be in the description; but, then again, I don't hang out with the upper crust there.

Young Master Cedric, you almost made me feel sorry for the snobs. Almost, not quite.

dab69
July 23rd, 2008, 04:47
what a shame they are making so much money and business is so good for them.

sjaak327
July 23rd, 2008, 04:50
In Bangkok of all places. Who cares, I eat at the various food vendors I have come to like, even if it means I have to ride in a cab for half an hour. I never go to restaurants in Bangkok (except Vientiane Kitchen on some occasions). Street vendors are cheap, I don't have to wait ages for my food, and my favourite som tam vendor, is just one minute from home. What more could I want ?

No Vertigo or Sirocco for me, just to name a few, bland overpriced food. Le Normandie is beyond my budget anyway.

The only Western restaurant I would consider (great staff !) is Crepes and Co in Suk 12.

July 23rd, 2008, 07:56
Ja very street cred Sjaakie. I also have my favouriten. But I'm also not as limited as that or much of a creature of habit. I am also a man of the people, I love drinking whiskey and going mad on a dance floor, I love taking back a little plastic bag of goodies from a street vendor too, but a formal restaurant is a different matter and sometimes thats what I also like, nice company, good food, setting, gentle chat melodious laughter, dressed up, a charming appreciation and sense of place. And yes that should also be able to be had right on the street under the twinkling lights at a charming little side street food stall.

A pig trough is just that and not something I find in the slightest bit delightful.

It's got nothing to do with being a snob nothing at all or for a distaste for corporate America. Or how successful a restaurant should be allowed to get. Its got all to do with the behaviour of the patrons. It's simply unacceptable. If the "swinging dicks" really had the goods it might be a different matter, but swinging shrunken dripping weenies in your face all night is hardly fun. Hack them off of at the root is the only way. Ban alcohol sales in restaurants in Bangkok for a few years, get rid of them!

Can anyone tell me that screaming drivelling aggressive bloody drunken rubbish about someone else's office politics all night is at all interesting? Do we all need to know it even sitting ten meters away?

Yes and Bangkok is still full of gentle smiling people, there might be even more in the provinces but why should Bangkok suffer. They are yobs and thats all there is too it, British and Australian middle management are uninteresting yobs and are the worst culprits, the Americans not far behind. The French can behave themselves the Italians can, in fact most can, and most importantly the Thai's do.

Its just unacceptable for the rest of us. Some people might have to save up hard to take a loved one to such place how truly disgusting that their night should be ruined. That they should even witness this. They are no better than louts walking down the street holding bear bottles and harassing local woman.

thrillbill
July 23rd, 2008, 08:35
Cedric, does this occur EVERYTIME YOU GO OUT TO EAT at a restaurant of fine cuisine? Maybe these chaps were celebrating some special occasion; for, most of us who DO work in Thailand (not on holiday or retired) have a given lunch hour to follow. I am sure you (like all of us) get a bit loud and tipsy when you're with a group celebrating some special event in a restaurant.
Here's something to try to make you feel better: Sit down and have a KFC grilled chicken sandwich next to the jungle gym for kids at KFC! :bounce:

(Maybe this is why I like room service in a decent hotel)

July 23rd, 2008, 08:54
Cedric, does this occur EVERYTIME YOU GO OUT TO EAT at a restaurant of fine cuisine? Maybe these chaps were celebrating some special occasion; for, most of us who DO work in Thailand (not on holiday or retired) have a given lunch hour to follow. I am sure you (like all of us) get a bit loud and tipsy when you're with a group celebrating some special event in a restaurant.
Here's something to try to make you feel better: Sit down and have a KFC grilled chicken sandwich next to the jungle gym for kids at KFC! :bounce:

(Maybe this is why I like room service in a decent hotel)

Yes its very common. No I dont get loud and tipsy at restaurants or shout at anyone, I dont even do that at clubs, I do get tipsy but I am able to control myself and never ever fail to be respectful of anyone around me. I would hate myself for causing even the slightest bit of fear or concern. I've been known to demolish a hotel room or two but thats been strictly between me and my alter ego. If people want to let rip they must charter the whole restaurant.

Yes I mean to try KFC one day, just I make a delicious olive oil sea salt and lemon lightly crumbed rosemary chicken with just the lightest sprinkle of cayenne myself.

Wesley
July 23rd, 2008, 09:35
I'm sure your not a snob no matter what Beryl Says, beware any thought you may at times feel a bit better than you are. the poor Col. Will have none of it.

Wes

July 23rd, 2008, 10:03
I'm sure your not a snob no matter what Beryl Says, beware any thought you may at times feel a bit better than you are. the poor Col. Will have none of it.

Wes

That was obvious in my post wasn't it?
I just think piss drunk and restaurant don't go together. I also think although the French have the reputation of being the most obnoxious tourists, really the most obnoxious tourists, visitors, expats of any nationalitâ”œĐ¹ are the drunks. Unfortunately they happen to be corprate types and swamping decent restaurants in Bangkok.

There are a few restaurants I go to that are mostly Thai (plus the odd gay fallang and friend) middle class and preppy perhaps but none of this happens, even with a bar upstairs. I hate the cultural insensitivity its insulting and embarrassing.

Smiles
July 23rd, 2008, 12:00
" ... Yes I mean to try KFC one day, just I make a delicious olive oil sea salt and lemon lightly crumbed rosemary chicken with just the lightest sprinkle of cayenne myself ... "
OK that's it ... Cedric is a pretentious boor, nothing more, nothing less, and older than purported years.
None but that (including the troll Chao Na/Boygeenyus) invite any less than the Ignore Feature.

Cheers ...

lonelywombat
July 23rd, 2008, 12:17
J

It's got nothing to do with being a snob nothing at all or for a distaste for corporate America. Or how successful a restaurant should be allowed to get. Its got all to do with the behaviour of the patrons. It's simply unacceptable.

Yes and Bangkok is still full of gentle smiling people, there might be even more in the provinces but why should Bangkok suffer. They are yobs and thats all there is too it, British and Australian middle management are uninteresting yobs and are the worst culprits, the Americans not far behind. The French can behave themselves the Italians can, in fact most can, and most importantly the Thai's do.

Its just unacceptable for the rest of us. Some people might have to save up hard to take a loved one to such place how truly disgusting that their night should be ruined. That they should even witness this. They are no better than louts walking down the street holding bear bottles and harassing local woman.

I have not been able to decide whether you work for a living, whether you a native of Hong Kong or what nationality you claim. Obviously you have money but is it new money or inherited.

July 23rd, 2008, 16:14
I have not been able to decide whether you work for a living, whether you a native of Hong Kong or what nationality you claim. Obviously you have money but is it new money or inherited.Hedda laid it all out for us some time ago http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/fo ... .php?e=281 (http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/weblog_entry.php?e=281)

July 23rd, 2008, 20:26
" ... Yes I mean to try KFC one day, just I make a delicious olive oil sea salt and lemon lightly crumbed rosemary chicken with just the lightest sprinkle of cayenne myself ... "
OK that's it ... Cedric is a pretentious boor, nothing more, nothing less, and older than purported years.
Cheers ...

Neither have I ever eaten at Mc Donalds why would I? Why is that so strange, we didn't even have mc Donalds when I was a child in Kenya, by the time I got to Europe the horror stories were well established. I don't eat food cooked in industrial oils. Hardly pretentious just a dietary caution.

I think its less a case of me "being older than purported years" and Smiles being one foot in the grave. Im a generation that was saved some of your excesses. Not that difficult to understand surely, but then on second thoughts for you perhaps it is. Verging towards anti globalisation also plays a small part I suppose.

Lunchtime O'Booze
July 23rd, 2008, 22:07
" What a surprise I was in for. Before I even got to the door I could hear strange rude crude shouting sounds like people where screaming at one another. I thought perhaps a little tiff, but it was not so when I went in, it was packed with corporate louts, drunk to their eyeballs screaming at the top of their voices to one-another and behaving in a completely unacceptable way. The food was totally secondary, if anyone was even noticing it I would be very surprised.

Before I had even sat down I was rudely bumped out of the way by a drunk expat loudly making his way to the toilet down the pool deck grasping a three quarters empty red wine to his stained chest. I moved tables three times the noise and vulgarity was so intense"

I do apologise-Homintern and I do get carried away at times. :drunken: :drunken: :drunken:

July 23rd, 2008, 22:18
I think the WORST behavior I have ever seen in a restaurant was about five years ago in the Bua Restaurant on Soi Convent.

The offender was a Japanese businessman having (apparently) dinner with his Thai counterpart.

When we entered the restaurant, he was speaking very (VERY) loudly into his cell-phone in Japanese, and he continued doing exactly that during the entire time we were in the place. The staff had frozen smiles pasted on their faces, but clearly wished that he would go. The most pathetic victim was his Thai counterpart, who from time to time would make certain gestures indicating that they were "having dinner together," while the Japanese a*shole continued bellowing into his cell-phone.

He was still bellowing when we left. I don't think he was a bit drunk -- just incredibly rude. Stopping the sale of alcohol in restaurants (a silly idea, anyway) wouldn't have slowed him down a bit.

And Smiles, what's the matter?? Doesn't that chicken of Cedric's sound, well, finger-lickin' good????

July 23rd, 2008, 22:29
And Smiles, what's the matter?? Doesn't that chicken of Cedric's sound, well, finger-lickin' good????

Jammie !

July 25th, 2008, 07:51
Yes cell phone abuse is terrible. A few places like the American club ban their use. And rightly so. But drunk managment are by far and away the worst spoilers of a nice meal out with your loved one. Friday night is the worst. But it can unfortunately happen any old time.

Yes banning alcohol is a draconian idea, and ruins a good night out for a lot of decent people too. But how else do you discourage them? Seems perfectly acceptable to ask diners not to use mobile phones, but not acceptable to ask them not to get piss roaring drunk and scream the house down?

The Smily finger lickin good issue is fascinating me. It puts the age of certain posters here into perspective. I understand Asia is different in this respect and that someone like Smily has lived most of his life in limbus, not quite European and not quite American, but surely there are some at least young people in Canada that he knows that don't eat Mc Donald's or Kentucky? Have they not benefited at least just a little from the French exception.

When I was at school just under a good decade ago, it was considered off limits. Not only was it American but it could kill. Famine food, for the charvers.

In a real emergency Im more likely to grab a Boots sandwich or even a Starfucks one, or papaya salad depending on where I am, who wants a greasy drum stick of dubious origine for lunch.

July 25th, 2008, 08:21
Poor Ceddie. His stay at the $ukothai ruined by a bunch of corporate middle managers. Quite unlike his tres chic CEO friends in the Executive Suites. And his favorite restruant in the Penin$ula ruined by the same riff-raff.

Geez, its getting so a snob can't enjoy himself anywhere nowadays.... :hmm:

July 25th, 2008, 08:58
Hardly ruined. All I wanted was a late bite. Thing is any restaurant that is discovered and that is good is very quickly picked up the corporatdar, and in a matter of months is ruin. Nothing snobbish about it, even my favourite Thai sea food shack on river, has become a hell hole of a corporate pig trough.

The minute a restaurant becomes published it takes a nose dive. I just never expected it to happen so often in Thailand. Shall we blame Tesco's, I cant imagine what all these people are doing in Thailand in the first place.

July 25th, 2008, 09:35
Your problem is that you stick to the over-priced show-off restaurants that corporate suits and their Amex Corporate cards love. Seafood shack on the river? Right...you're probably talking about Baan Klang Nam or Good View or one of those other places that sell prawns for 500 baht a piece.

You will find better food, ambiance, and more interesting dining companions at places that don't even know what a credit card looks like.

July 25th, 2008, 10:51
Your problem is that you stick to the over-priced show-off restaurants that corporate suits and their Amex Corporate cards love. Seafood shack on the river? Right...you're probably talking about Baan Klang Nam or Good View or one of those other places that sell prawns for 500 baht a piece.

You will find better food, ambiance, and more interesting dining companions at places that don't even know what a credit card looks like.

Honestly, do you think the prawns were always 500 baht a piece at Baan klang Nam. Just another thing to point finger at the corporate sluts for arranging with their expense accounts. I agree. I used to think a credit cards welcome sign on a restaurant door was a bad sign. I still do in some ways, especially out of town.

It usually means, crap over priced food.

I don't remember people here as being so extraordinarily assumptive about other posters. Are you saying if I stayed at the BBBinn this would all be credible to you? How shallow. I rarely spend a fortune on good food, good food is good food it shouldn't cost a packet. I thought 800baht for a tiny in house fresh grilled hamburger and chips outrageous even though I was forced to have one at least three times, simply because everything was closed.

Plus room service and tip that makes a hamburger and chips 1000baht. This is standard pricing in good hotels. Outrageous of course.

July 25th, 2008, 11:07
I thought 800baht for a tiny in house fresh grilled hamburger and chips outrageous even though I was forced to have one at least three times, simply because everything was closed.

"Everything was closed"? Hahaha! This tells me all I need to know about you and your dining repertoire. We're talking about BANGKOK for chrissakes, Cedric! You can find food so outstanding that it should bring tears to your eyes at any hour of the day or night. Poor baby, forced to buy an 800 baht hamburger THREE TIMES because the entire city was dark and not a bit to eat. Pathetic.

July 25th, 2008, 11:29
"Everything was closed"? Hahaha! This tells me all I need to know about you and your dining repertoire. We're talking about BANGKOK for chrissakes, Cedric! You can find food so outstanding that it should bring tears to your eyes at any hour of the day or night. Poor baby, forced to buy an 800 baht hamburger THREE TIMES because the entire city was dark and not a bit to eat. Pathetic.

Is there a shortage of Prozac in Thailand at the moment? Im beginning to think so. if you ever been to the Sukhothai you will realise that it's not exactly in the thick of things. A long long driveway leads you through green and pleasant lands to a veritable desert of traffic ,fumes, embassies and bus stops.

Lumpini or that nice preppy fusion place just up the road from the Babylon would've been the closest. But I didn't feel like the walk, actually I hardly see the need to justify myself just take my word for it. Lunch every day I was in the hotel for it next to the pool was a similar rip off. Except three times the price.

What's a boy to do take in dripping plastic bags of goodies from some distant street vendor and set up shop on the loungers? Honestly I would prefer, it would be just as good if not better.

What I dont mind paying for is the Terrace Suite, the tranquility, the charming service, garden and not forgetting of course a fucking nice super size me comfortable bed.

Aunty
July 25th, 2008, 11:50
What I dont mind paying for is the Terrace Suite, the tranquility, the charming service, garden and not forgetting of course a fucking nice super size me comfortable bed.

Does that come with its own bell hop, Cedric? Now that would be convienent!

(For that sort of money, I prefer to downsize and give to charity)

Aunty
July 25th, 2008, 11:54

Does that come with its own bell hop, Cedric? Now that would be convienent!

(For that sort of money, I prefer to downsize and give to charity)

July 25th, 2008, 12:13
No not a bell hop but a very sweet Isan valet. He was absolutely marvellous, bringing me fresh fruits and flowers every day, not the usual Chinese pear, lady finger bananas or rose apple, but rambutans, mangoes. longans, lychees some I've never heard off, but very good and from Isan, anything good he could find on his way to work.
What a cutie and tightly packed butt to match, I could've spent hours watching him bent over the bath legs spread while he played with taps, he seemed to love spending ages running a bath. The weather necessitated at least three ice cold baths a day anyway.

Its touches like these I really think make it worth while.

Im thinking of getting rid of the Filipinos and hauling him over. I am seriously thinking of getting rid of them.

July 28th, 2008, 11:03
I just wish to make a disclaimer, I mean an apology, as I see I might have inadvertently upset some forumites.

My most humblest of apologies to any blue collar workers or middle management who may have taken offence, it was not my intention. Gays don't generally behave this way unless they are Australian so I wasn't in fact including anyone here that isn't Australian.

Should I have sounded thoughtless and tacky to anyone, I'm sorry. Indeed I have some good and valued friends in middle management.

Cedric
:flower: :flower: :flower: :flower:

Diec
July 28th, 2008, 11:33
Cedric, you are obviously rich and can afford these lovely accessories. There is absolutely no need to apologize.

July 29th, 2008, 07:36
Cedric, you are obviously rich and can afford these lovely accessories. There is absolutely no need to apologize.

Im not apologising for anything of the sort!!!
Im apologising for making gross generalisations about middle management. What I'm trying to say is that they're not all bad. Its the straights that let the team down, tarnishing the good name of middle management by getting rowdy and drunk and loud in restaurants, behaving like the entire world is interested in their sad little lives.

Fine in the UK where its expected but in Thailand it comes across as crude and arrogant.

Lunchtime O'Booze
July 29th, 2008, 07:59
I find this everywhere I go..I mean once they let me in the door that's really the end of the place.

As Groucho said.."any club that would have me as a member I wouldn't want to join".

Bob
July 29th, 2008, 08:45
I find this everywhere I go..I mean once they let me in the door that's really the end of the place.
As Groucho said.."any club that would have me as a member I wouldn't want to join".

I'm somewhat in the same mold, Lunch. Based on several postings, I don't think I'd want to hang around the crowd that Young Master Cedric seems to worship. After all, I have me standards! :clown:

(and, if/when I find my standards, I'll put them to damn good use!)

July 29th, 2008, 16:07

:cheers: Another trend in Thailand is for western tourists to take it into the streets bear bottle and all. I saw one terrorising a foot massage place by staring in the window at anything in a skirt, he then went in and they all turned white with fright.
I was in half a mind to go in and send him packing when he sat or rather fell head first into a settee his face buried in the cushions. No harm done I thought. Perhaps he will suffocate. He looked half dead already. And carried on my way.

July 30th, 2008, 11:36
This is great reading... You can't usually get this kind of name calling, mud slinging entertainment without watching Jerry Springer LOL

July 31st, 2008, 22:27
I find that I have to agree: this thread is getting funnier and funnier. And it's a kind of humor that's getting harder and harder to find (or is it?) I think the genre might be "unconscious self-parody."

For example, drooling over the butt of your hotel-boy, while apparently denying any sort of desire to actually DO something with him. (Such as caressing that butt!)

Another example: Cedric says he was raised in Kenya (Hey! Did he know Barack Obama??) and now lives in Hong Kong. He stays at expensive places (drooling over butts), and has actually paid 3,000 baht for hamburgers in one day! And all the while he is convinced that burgers from McDonald's are a deadly poison. (Cedric dear -- why aren't there a billion corpses?)

Can anyone say: VERY WEALTHY BRITISH EX-COLONIAL, WHOSE MAIN DESIRE IS TO RISE INTO THE ARISTOCRACY?

Another example: "I'll have to get rid of the Filipinos?" Huh? What Filipinos, Cedric? Employed in what capacity? (Jesus, I hope they don't have butts to drool over!)

Another example: his posting about LOVE, which managed to omit one significant detail about himself. Not only was he a young farang, presumably good-looking, he was a VERY RICH YOUNG FARANG. Oh! That explains a lot.

Have you ever noticed that many of the young & beautiful flock to those who are (a) socially dominant -- think about the pecking order-- and/or (b) those who have (I love the phrase) "access to resources?" (How do we translate "resources?" Trust funds? Bonds? Bank accounts? A mine in Kenya?)

As for just having a good meal -- come up to Chiang Mai and try The House or Casablanca. No corporate types at all. But then again (ho ho!) Cedric seems not to realize that he is patronizing the very sort of places where these jerks show up! :-)

Disclaimer: I drool over cute butts myself! :-)

August 4th, 2008, 14:37
WHOSE MAIN DESIRE IS TO RISE INTO THE ARISTOCRACY?

The aristocracy, well what left of them are all bums in thread bare corduroy believe me. Most have turned the family pile into bed and breakfast or horrific heritage sites for hoards of Vauxhall drivers. Hardly worth aspiring to now is that. The colonies were a safe bet for most of them. Growing tea had its charms.

I never compromise good staff. The thought would never occur to me, and if it did I would ask for a replacement.

August 5th, 2008, 12:32
Yes. Most of the English ones however fared a little worse off. A very few certainly didn't like Gerald Grosvenor the Duke of Westminster, the Earl of Cadogan, not forgetting the Queen herself who comes in third including all the national assets that she could never pawn.

Poor Brenda, she hasn't even got a decent boat anymore, reduced to ploughing the oceans of the outer islands in a converted car ferry whilst strapped to her threadbare settee.

Aunty
August 5th, 2008, 14:12
Yes. Most of the English ones however fared a little worse off. A very few certainly didn't like Gerald Grosvenor the Duke of Westminster, the Earl of Cadogan............

Is he by chance related to the Earl of Pooping?

August 5th, 2008, 14:24
Is he by chance related to the Earl of Pooping?

Gerald? Or the Earl? I dont think so, I've never heard of Pooping did he go to Eton?